BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2008-02-11 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1204501

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Subject: RE: Ridgelake's Group - Re-Opening for More Awesome Folks!
Wonderful! Thanks all and I look forward to walking this path together

2008-02-11 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1098972

User image

Welcome all the newbies and, wow, what great stories!! And, Cole, it could very possibly take me 3-4 hours if I ran like I did this week end. I am just beginning to like running on some days but love and running are not two words I use in the same sentence. I too have been doing heart rate training keeping my heart rate lower. I can run longer and am slowly getting faster. And I mean slowly!

Edited by teresa 2008-02-11 12:15 PM
2008-02-11 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1205009

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

holt1997 - 2008-02-11 11:41 AM Do you have room for another member??If so I would love to join.

Holt, sure, come on in!  Join the fun. 

Tell us a bit about yourself. 

2008-02-11 6:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Well lets see. I am 34, married with four kids. I am a salesman for a truss plant. I live in Ellensburg, WA. I enjoy competing a lot but have been out of it for a while. I have also acquired the perverbial gut and am working on losing it. I was up to 250 and am down to 205. I am 5'10" so I need to be more in the 165-170 range. I enjoy being in shape but need short and long term goals to keep going. I think what peaked my interest in triathlons is the variety. Training involves a lot more than one discipline so boredom is not as likely and everyone seems really fun. I just started training in December and have my first duathlon in March. It is a little chilly to be in the water this soon. So that is me. I do have my race schedule posted. I would say right now my biggest struggle in this is training consistently. Between work and family (not in that order) it is tough to fit in. I guess that is part of the challenge. Thanks for letting me join.
2008-02-11 8:14 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Good stuff, Holt. 

I agree with running being the hardest/least favorite discipline.  My body is much better suited to swimming and biking.   But I am finding that my desire to run has increased as I've gotten into better shape and learned to run at easier paces.

Edited by Ridgelake 2008-02-12 7:24 AM
2008-02-11 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
I practice Shudokon Karate do. I like it a lot. I can touch my toes for the first time since high school. Thanks for welcoming me into the group.

2008-02-11 11:40 PM
in reply to: #1206385

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
Welcome to the group Holt and Bunny, and you too Cole and hubby! Glad to have you with us on this journey.

Thanks for sharing your stories - that goes for the newbies and the oldies. I get inspired by people just having the desire to change their lives, then starting from zero, and encountering and overcoming obstacles on the way. Sometimes the start is the hardest part. I wish you all the best with your training. You do it for yourself, but really you're doing it for your family too -to live a longer and healthier life and be an example. That's awesome!

Ridge, thanks for the encouragement to take it slow and steady. I often feel that I'm not "doing much" but I know over time, the consistent training is paying off. I don't need to have "killer workouts," but just keep steady from week to week.

My hubby and I just watched "Four Minutes" - a movie about Roger Bannister breaking the 4 minute mile in the 1950's. Makes me want to run. Not a bad movie if you want some inspiration.

Have a great day everyone.

Jo

Edited by SpokaneJo 2008-02-11 11:48 PM
2008-02-12 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Thanks for the welcome. I see you are from WA also. Are you going to rin bloomsday this year. I think I am going to throw it in as a C race just for fun. This group looks fun.

Scott
2008-02-12 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
If anyone is interested, I heard that J-Mac is going to be on Larry King Live on Thursday night.
2008-02-12 10:04 AM

User image

Lake Tahoe, CA
Hi Rob/All,

I just learned of the mentoring groups this morning and began searching around. This group sounds like a great group and one that I would hopefully fit into.

I have never really been an outstanding athlete, but have always been drawn to endurance events. 10 years ago, I trained for, and completed a 2 day adventure race (38 hrs), and a year later completed an Olympic triathalon, with a smattering of sprint triathalons in between. 5-7 years ago, I was a member of a nordic search and rescue team that challenged my endurance as much as any event I have competed in. In each of these, I was always happy to complete, and never really considered placing in the events (although my adventure racing team won our event but that was due to better navigation, and not athletics)

Today, I'm 47 years old and believe I have hit the classic "awakening" at midlife where I wonder how I let go of my conditioning. 4 years ago, I underwent some cervical spine surgery, and I guess I have underestimated the impact that event had on me. I've been fully recovered for a long time now though.

At 5'11", I hover around 200lbs, with some weekly exercise, but nothing beyond what amounts to a couple of miles running (except it's x-country skiing, or biking).

I love training and have found that exercise for exercise sake, doesn't give me the "brass ring" that I need to shoot for. So, last week I signed up for an XTERRA event here in Lake Tahoe on June 28th. It's basically an olympic length event except off-road. Several years have passed since I have been in condition to even consider this, so I am throwing everything I can at preparation (that's where the mentoring group comes in).

I hope there is still room in this group. I would look forward to sharing my experiences over the next few months, and hearing the experiences of those in the group. I have started my log as of Sunday, and plan to apply whatever discipline is required keep the log current (as well as the work )

Thanks for your consideration

Alex
2008-02-12 10:06 AM

User image

Hey all and welcome. Bloomsday looks like a fun time. Last time i did it I was 7 months pregnant with my first child and walked with my grandfather who was 79 at the time. He did it for 6 or 7 more years and recently died at 100. So, you do the math. 22 years later I will be running it for the first time. Oh, and NOT pregnant this time!!!!!!

Edited by teresa 2008-02-12 10:06 AM

2008-02-12 10:31 AM

User image

Regular
Welcome to all the Noobs!
I've been in more of a lurker mode the last week or so. Still waiting for my stinkin' back to get back to it's old self and havent been training like I hope to. It's been almost 6 weeks since I hurt it and I'm getting pretty fed up with the whole issue. Anyone have a magic back wand?

Sounds like a lot of you are just like me and find the running to be the most challenging!

To catch up on an old question....First Tri in Late May, sprint distance. My big goal for the year (pre back injury) was a HIM in August, but we'll have to see.
2008-02-12 10:47 AM

User image

Regular
It's kind of funny that, although running is my weakness, it is proving to cause the least trouble with my back, so I have been doing more of it (proportionally to the other 2 sports). Swimming, especially w/ flip turns, seems to aggrivate it and spinning/biking does too due to leaning out over the bars.

I went skiing over the weekend at Copper Mountain and got quite a workout trying to keep up w/ my 15 year old son! It was a typical blue ribbon Colorado weekend!
2008-02-12 11:57 AM

User image

May be a stupid question, but should I know who J-Mac is???
2008-02-12 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Welcome Alex!  Glad to have you part of the group!  I think, with your excellent addition, that I'm going to re-close the group now.

Teresa, J-Mac is Jason McElweigh.  He is a teenager who is on the autistic spectrum.  He has been mainstreamed in a large highschool in the Rochester, NY area.  He loves basketball and served as the team manager for several years.  In the last game during his senior year, the coach put him into the game with maybe 3 minutes left in the game.  Jason went on to score over 20 points in the 3 minutes, making 6 3-point shots.  The entire gymasium went absolutely nuts.  This story made international news.  Magic Johnson is producing a movie about the story.  It was huge news within the special needs community, bringing to the forefront just how capable someone on the autism spectrum could be.

Both Jesse and I have children who fall on the austism spectrum.  So his appearance on TV is another way of gaining exposure for this segment of the population.

2008-02-12 1:51 PM

Regular
Subject: RE: Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks!
I have a training question that I am sure some of you more experienced people can help me with. Up until now, I have been following just a beginner running program. This week my husband and I start our 8 week triathlon-minus-the-swimming (otherwise known as a duathlon) training. When we are doing "bricks" does it matter whether we run or ride first?

Welcome to all of you new folks! We are glad to have you join us. I too enjoy your stories...thanks for sharing them.

2008-02-12 1:58 PM
in reply to: #1207582

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

colewarren - 2008-02-12 2:51 PM  When we are doing "bricks" does it matter whether we run or ride first? Welcome to all of you new folks!

Cole,

Whether it matters is a question of degree.  Either way, you'll get the specific training involved in those disciplines.  You'll further your overall endurance either way.

That said, there is a feel that takes the body a bit to get used to when you come off a good bike ride and start running.  The legs aren't normally all that happy to do it for the first 1/4 mile of running.  The brick workouts are generally designed to help one get accustomed to this feel so that its not as unusual come race time.

So does acclimated to a certain sensation "matter"?  Would a potential handful of seconds difference at most "matter" in a race? 

2008-02-12 2:09 PM
in reply to: #1206871

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
holt1997 - 2008-02-12 7:13 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I see you are from WA also. Are you going to rin bloomsday this year. I think I am going to throw it in as a C race just for fun. This group looks fun.

Scott

Scott,
Bloomsday is really fun; it's kind of a carnival atmosphere. I usually don't like crowds, but this one is my exception. You've got some elite pro runners, serious age-groupers, a bunch of joggers, some walk/runners, a lot of walkers, and a lot of strollers. It's a fun atmosphere no matter what group you're in, plus it's a 12k so it's a good workout. They use timing chips now, so you'll get an accurate time. I have only walked it or pushed a stroller, so this year I'm toying with the idea of walk/running it.

OK gang, I'm going for a run this afternoon. See ya,

Jo
2008-02-12 2:09 PM

User image

Awsome J-Mac story! I have got to watch. My son played college ball and had a special kid as manger on their team so that hits close to home. I remember going nuts when Ben (the same one I walked bloomsday with) hit his first college three, so to see J-Mac in action would have been insane!!

Run, JoAnn, run

Edited by teresa 2008-02-12 2:13 PM
2008-02-12 2:21 PM

User image

Ohmygoodness!!! I just watched the Jason Mcelwain video on You Tube and it was FANTASTIC! What an amazing story. It made me cry and I can't imagine how it made his parents feel WOW
2008-02-12 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1207431

User image

Lake Tahoe, CA
Thanks for the welcome. I'm not only new to BT, but fairly new to online forums as well. I look forward to the mentoring, and will participate as much as I can to offer something back. In the meantime, I'll be trying to figure out the in's and out's of this.

J-Mac story sounds amazing. So, do I understand that the last 3 minutes of his whole HS carreer was the only time he was on the court?

2008-02-12 4:04 PM
in reply to: #1207974

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

thinair - 2008-02-12 4:56 PM  J-Mac story sounds amazing. So, do I understand that the last 3 minutes of his whole HS carreer was the only time he was on the court?

Correct. 

Actually, the Youtube search that Teresa did pops up a couple of awesome videos on the subject.  Truly touching stuff.

2008-02-12 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1207994

User image

Lake Tahoe, CA
Hi All,

OK, here's where I can use some basic discussion forum info. I'm reading through some of the early posts and see where you have asked a question and suggested we all add each other to our friends list. I'm not sure if I should respond to that post, or to this one (the last one on the list). So I choose the later but hope that I didn't hijack a discussion.

The action was to add each other to our friends list. So I've added:
Ridgelake
Spokanjo
Catjammies
BunnyT
Colewarren
holt1997
Teresa

Please feel free to add me to your friends list as well. I'll try to get the hang of the "Inspire Me" thing, and I look forward to getting to know each of you. The short reading that I did before requesting to be part of this group looked like a really cool team, with some impressive stories.

The question was "What do I want out of Triathlons"

Simply...lifestyle. The lifestyle that I refer to is that of health and outdoor enthusiasts. Tri isn't the only way to get there, but I've found it to be the most fulfilling. There are so many aspects of life that are implied in this lifestyle, it's almost impossible to list them all. Here are a few; nicer doctor visits, less TV, better connection with our outdoor world, fitness, knowing that all the diet commercials don't apply, the events themselves are really fun with everyone on a personal journey, but pretty much the same journey, feeling good about myself, sleeping well, eating well, ...... It can go on and on. I can't say enough to say it all.
2008-02-12 10:03 PM
in reply to: #1208415

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Good stuff, Alex.  I wholy agree with your sentiments about the tri lifestyle. 
2008-02-12 11:39 PM
in reply to: #1208415

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
thinair - 2008-02-12 6:11 PM

The action was to add each other to our friends list. So I've added:
Ridgelake
Spokanjo
Catjammies
BunnyT
Colewarren
holt1997
Teresa

Welcome to the group!

And don't forget:
smeador
brideout
ihaveagluestick

Am I forgetting anyone else, Boss?

J

Edited by SpokaneJo 2008-02-12 11:47 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  

of 19