of 14

2008-02-18 6:57 PM
in reply to: #1103805

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
Subject: RE: Waterdog's Group - Open For a Few More

Ok, I can discuss socks and shoes!

I'm not picky yet when it comes to my socks.....I bought some at Costco the other day...Champion....that are low profile with the special arch support.  So far, they are comfortable, but I haven't put them through the wet transition test.  Last year I raced with some basic Nike Elite Running No Show.

I've done 3 shoe fittings over time, and each one has resulted in a different shoe recommendation.  My first time around, I was in Mizuno Wave Alchemy.  Last season, I was put in the Mizuno Wave Inspire 3, which I loved.  This season, I wanted to make sure I was fitted correctly, so went in again.....  I have one foot where I mildly underpronate, but the Shoe Dr.  (yes, he calls himself that) wanted to put me in neutral shoes because the Wave Inspires might be too much control.  Anyway, I bought the Asics Gel Kinsei 2....they were pretty cool looking, but I found them intolerable to wear.  I ended up trying out every other pair in the store when I returned them, and ended up going back to my old Mizunos....I'm now in the Mizuno Wave Inspire 4.  I don't care what they say at the running store-- I love them, they work, and my knee pain is in no way attributable to the shoes. 

So there you go.    Have a great week, everyone!

2008-02-19 1:07 AM

User image

New user

WEEK #6: Today was an absolute break thorugh for me. I managed to push mind and my body to its maximum limit of exertion. Because of my effort, today's workout happened to be the best one I've had since I started this journey 6 weeks ago. I must admit that I was dogging it in the previous two workouts. My body just didn't want to run at all. I was feeling fatigued and really weak. I just walked the whole way. I was trying to cope with my hitting a plateau prior to Sunday. I decided not to focus so much on time but rather distance. I told myself that I would run to one point and then walk to catch my breath and then run to some other marker I designated as a good stopping point. Because of this switch, I was able to run further than I have ever before outside the scope of a treadmill. I paid the price though because I was sore throughout the day. I'll pace myself for WEEK #7 and listen to my body so I don't injure myself.
My weight for this week has improved as well in that I lost 2.2 lbs. this week. A smaller result compared to last week however, I'll take it and move on. I'll catch you next week, hopefully with even better results not only for my weight but more importantly for my endurance as well!!

2008-02-19 9:38 AM

Extreme Veteran
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... Race report is up for my sprint this last sunday.

Shoes. I am running in asics 2130's but I think I may go back to brooks (Adrenalineā„¢ ASRā„¢ 4 was my last pair for trail running) . I like the feel and think they may be a bit wider for my duck feet. you blow through shoes quickly. 3-400 miles doesnt take much time if you are concentrating on running. $$$

Socks. I have not become a sock expert yet but I do like tight fitting thin socks. Much like compression socks. For short tri races i dont wear them but for any stand alone or longer event i will put them on.

2008-02-19 10:59 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
Hey, everyone.  So sorry I have been MIA lately.  I got really busy at work, then was on vacation, then sick for a week.  I am now digging out and catching up.  I need to enter my training in my log and catch up with you all.  I hope you all are doing well, and I will be a better member of Team Waterdog now that my life is getting back under control!  Looks like there may be some "new faces" to get to know.
2008-02-19 4:16 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Ended up with a pretty good week of training. Everything went pretty much as planned although I did have to move a couple of workouts around to accomodate my schedule.

I was supposed to have a followup appointment with my ortho on Friday but it was postponed (He had an emergency Surgery to perform) to Today.

After a quick exam and a few strength tests, he said "Get out of my office you lazy bum, and don't ever come back". After the visit, I chatted with my PT and he said pretty much the same thing and cancelled the rest of my appointments.

They both cleared me to swim (I was already cleared to run and ride) and also confirmed that my HIM in the end of March as well as my full IM in June is not going to be a problem.

Even though I am only 11 weeks post-op, it seems as if I am effectively back at 100%.

As for the question of the week:

Have been a fan of Saucony for a while but more recently got into Brooks. My trainers and one pair of racing flats are Saucony and my second pair of "Speedwork/Racing" shoes is made by Brooks.

Have had pretty good luck with both brands as long as I stay away from the super cushioned models. I usually wear Neutral Performance Trainers and they will last about 350 miles. I usually chuck my racing flats at about 200 just to be safe.

As for socks, I am a huge fan of Balega Socks. But have recently discovered Injinji Socks and like them too. (They are the socks with the indifidual toes)

In addition to all of this, I have a pair of Five Fingers that has lasted forever. (I think I have close to 500 miles on them and they are still going strong) These are great for treadie runs and also for beach runs in areas where the sand is covered with cobbles.

Hope everyone is having a good week

2008-02-19 4:17 PM
in reply to: #1220058

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

baggyman - 2008-02-19 7:38 AM http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... Race report is up for my sprint this last sunday. Shoes. I am running in asics 2130's but I think I may go back to brooks (Adrenaline™ ASR™ 4 was my last pair for trail running) . I like the feel and think they may be a bit wider for my duck feet. you blow through shoes quickly. 3-400 miles doesnt take much time if you are concentrating on running. $$$ Socks. I have not become a sock expert yet but I do like tight fitting thin socks. Much like compression socks. For short tri races i dont wear them but for any stand alone or longer event i will put them on.

Welcome Back Jessica

2008-02-20 5:39 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia

Great news, Tim! I bet you can't wait to get in the pool.

As for the question of the week.

For shoes, I am an Asics fan.  Many years ago I wore a pair of New Balance and really messed up my knees.  As soon as I switched to Asics the problems got better.  I have worn many different models of Asics, though.  The running store fitted me in stability shoes since my arches are normal, but I had some recurring IT band problems.  A new running store re-fitted me, and based on my stride and footfalls declared me to have "as neutral of a stride as they come."  So, I have been wearing cushioned shoes for the past year.  I liked the Asics Nimbus VIIIs, but the Asics Nimbus IXs gave me nasty blisters.  So, I am now in Asics Cumulus IXs, and they are working out so far.  I have tried on other brands at the running store, but the Asics always seem to fit the best for my feet.

As for socks, right now I am a fan of Smart Wool.  After training for my first marathon, I learned the perils of cheap cotton socks (nasty blisters).  I do like to try new socks, though, to see what else is out there, so it is helpful to hear what others are wearing.

2008-02-20 8:59 AM

User image

St Petersburg, Florida
2008-02-21 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1223107

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN

So who's the cupcake?  Tim, is that you? 

Just wanted to say "glad to have you back" to Jessica.  Life gets in the way sometimes, but I'm glad you've come back to us!

2008-02-21 11:05 AM
in reply to: #1225745

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
kanders - 2008-02-21 7:36 AM

That is from my friend Teresa who is also doing IMCdA in June.

I think it was to celebrate the fact that I my doc has released me to train and race. (My recovery is just about complete)

2008-02-21 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1225987

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
WaterDog66 - 2008-02-21 11:05 AM
kanders - 2008-02-21 7:36 AM

That is from my friend Teresa who is also doing IMCdA in June.

I think it was to celebrate the fact that I my doc has released me to train and race. (My recovery is just about complete)

Oh, of course.  I'm dense sometimes.  I don't know if I left you an inspire on your blog or not, Tim, but congratulations on getting the ok to get back in the pool! 

2008-02-22 5:20 PM
in reply to: #1226400

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
kanders - 2008-02-21 11:19 AM

I don't know if I left you an inspire on your blog or not, Tim, but congratulations on getting the ok to get back in the pool! 

Thanks

Shoulder seems to be holding up great to my initial swim workouts. Very little fatigue and best of all, none of the "Loose" feeling I had been getting before the surgery.

2008-02-22 5:21 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Have a great weekend everyone

Seems like a lot of folks might be getting some cruddy weather this weekend but I hope your able to work things out so your not out in the wet/cold/slushy/freezing stuff trying to get your training in.

Take Care

2008-02-24 1:38 AM

Hi Tim and gang,

My name is Sabrina, and I am hoping that you are still accepted new members. I have really enjoyed reading your tips, and communication between each other, and would love to be a part of that.
I am 38 years old, married with 3 girls- 11, 9, and 6. I have run 5 marathons. Completed several sprint, olympic, and HIM races, and 2 IM (The Vineman in '06, and The Grand Columbian in '07). I am signed up for IM Wisconsin, but I also entered the lottery for Kona. I guess I will know for sure which race I will be doing on April 12.
Running is my weakest link, and I am looking for some mentoring there specifically, as well as Nutrition tidbits, as I am currently an Athena (158), and hoping to get down to 145. I would love to give and receive inspiration from you and your great group!!

Looking forward to hearing back from you! Thanks.

Sabrina
2008-02-25 10:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
Finally back to feeling ok. Swam this morning and have on the plan a long slow bike ride. I need it for my mental health!!! That race on Sunday took more out of me than I thought it would.... and i think it set me back about a week. OH well it was worth it.. but i am sure Ill be cussing my self come June
2008-02-25 11:06 AM
in reply to: #1231697

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

gobru1ns - 2008-02-23 11:38 PM Hi Tim and gang, My name is Sabrina, and I am hoping that you are still accepted new members. I have really enjoyed reading your tips, and communication between each other, and would love to be a part of that. I am 38 years old, married with 3 girls- 11, 9, and 6. I have run 5 marathons. Completed several sprint, olympic, and HIM races, and 2 IM (The Vineman in '06, and The Grand Columbian in '07). I am signed up for IM Wisconsin, but I also entered the lottery for Kona. I guess I will know for sure which race I will be doing on April 12. Running is my weakest link, and I am looking for some mentoring there specifically, as well as Nutrition tidbits, as I am currently an Athena (158), and hoping to get down to 145. I would love to give and receive inspiration from you and your great group!! Looking forward to hearing back from you! Thanks. Sabrina

Welcome Sabrina

I too came to the sport of Triathlons with my run being the weakest Discipline. I recently look up marathoning as a way to get better at running. Sounds like you have a great race schedule for 2008. (I have heard great things about IMMoo)

2008-02-25 11:08 AM
in reply to: #1233747

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

baggyman - 2008-02-25 8:47 AM Finally back to feeling ok. Swam this morning and have on the plan a long slow bike ride. I need it for my mental health!!! That race on Sunday took more out of me than I thought it would.... and i think it set me back about a week. OH well it was worth it.. but i am sure Ill be cussing my self come June

Glad your feeling better

Enjoy your ride today.

2008-02-25 10:55 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Happy Monday Everyone

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Looks like we are just about full up with folks again and it is a good time to introduce ourselves.

Question of the week: When life gets in the way of your training plan what do you do. Do you re-arrange your plan, just pick up where you left off, play the makeup game?

Clearly life is in session and we all have very full lives with family, work etc. in addition to training to meet our goals. A single workout missed or even a week is pretty insignificant at the end of the day as compared to the months of hard training we all put in.

And of course, for the good of the group, please tell us how your week went

2008-02-25 11:07 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Here is the updated list of folks. I have not removed any of the active members but added the new folks to the list:

Mentor Group

Waterdog
Tim
MammaJenn3
Jenn
VooDreu
Dreu
Baggyman
Chris
Barbara
Barbara
Gilligan
Sean
MtnGirlInCali
Erin
AATri
Anya
Kanders
Kristin
jgz_tarheel
Jessica
andiamo989
Ken
HansenTracy
Tracy
Mukluk
Cyndy
serzkawpoije
Wes
LJVician
Linda
GoBru1ns
Sabrina
Group Thread

Note that Linda's Logs are Private so the Hyperlink currently is not active.

2008-02-26 5:31 AM
in reply to: #1235278

Extreme Veteran
Life is a constant factor when training for a full distance triathlon. I have even seen some training plans for oly's, if you want to be competitive, and they are upwards of 15 hours a week. I have a supportive x-wife, yeah i know that sounds crazy, but she helps out with the boys a ton to allow me to get in my time on the road. The hardest part for me is turning down nights out with people from work or a new girl so that I can get enough rest to train.

I plan on doing CdA then laying off the long distances for the next year, working on my running and doing some smaller events and maybe one him. Just because of the time commitment. I know that I can "just finish" with less hours but really I dont want to walk 20 miles of the marathon to be able to say that I have completed an Iron Man

When life gets in the way my training usually suffers but I do my best to juggle my workouts. Late night runs, trainer rides at 3:30 am... pool at 5:00am what ever it takes. If I cant do that I usually skip a swim workout and try to keep my bike and run days the same.
2008-02-26 10:19 AM
in reply to: #1235278

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

Hey everyone--- welcome to the new group members.

So, this is a particularly appropriate question, as life got in the way for me last week.  It was week one of a big training cycle, and I missed half my workouts because I was in Washington, DC on business.  In this case, it was all about work and I had absolutely no time to do any training....except on Friday afternoon.  At any rate, rather than play make up this week, I'm going to pick up where I left off and just make sure that I get in all the workouts for this week and follow them closely.  Hopefully my body reacts well to having the break and will not be any worse for wear for having missed out on so much.  We have 2 breakthrough workouts this week-- my first 2.5 hour bike ride, and my first 5-mile run.  I know it's not much to some people, but it's got me all nervous just thinking about it!  I'm looking forward to seeing how much farther I can go, to be honest.

Thank goodness for weekends!  And did you notice the sun lately?  We are getting our evenings back, slowly but surely.  This is going to make training for me MUCH easier.  Since I can only run outside or on a track, daylight has been a big roadblock to my running......so hopefully this is all good news. 

Hope you all have a good week!

2008-02-26 12:08 PM
in reply to: #1235887

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN

I will try to make things up, to a certain point.  I don't mind doing double workouts (doing one today, in fact), but I do feel there's a point of diminishing return when it comes to shortchanging other parts of your life.  It's more important to my health for me to get sleep, for example - if I don't, I get run down and will often catch a cold.  So I won't short sleep to get a workout in.  When I evaluate my priorities, I'd probably put training at about 5th on my list (faith, family, work, and sleep come before it).   

I do a lot of other activities, too, and will sometimes count them as cross-training substitutes for my SBR training, but most of the time I try to consider them additional.  In that regard, I'm ahead of where I was last year in terms of fitting things in.  Last year I was probably only making it to the pool once a week, and now it's at least 2 times, sometimes 3.  Last year I only fit in 1 run a week at this point, and now I'm at least hitting 2.  I think I'm balancing better, mostly because it's become more of a habit at this point than it had at this time last year.

2008-02-26 1:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
I guess the way i look at this.... it is a hobby of mine. I love the training and love to race but it is a hobby. I will never be paid to do this, never win a world championship, never be interviewed as to my bike position or the type of shoes I wear.... so I have to keep that in perspective when I get upset about missing a workout.

I love the changes in my body due to this "hobby" much better than my gamer days where the only thing I gained was 40 lbs.

2008-02-26 1:07 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Last week was Week 8 of my HIM Training and it went well. I have been getting some advice from some of my marathoner chums and it has really put some mojo into my running.  Now I need to put some of the same sort of focus on the bike in order to maximize my chances for a good run split on race day.

As for scheduling issues with workouts. My training plan is a modified version of a Marathon Training plan. I have become quite adept at making on the fly changes to the plan to accomodate life. More often then not, unless it is a key workout, I will just bag it am move on.  If it is a key workout, I will usually throw something else away and reschedule the key workout.

I am not so hung up on volume as I am on the quality of the workouts I am doing so have no issues with throwing out a recovery or even GA workout. Endurance (AKA Going Long), Muscular Endurance (AKA Speedwork) I will usually try to reschedule or otherwise move around.

This week is my DW's Birthday and I bagged one workout, and moved another to the morning slot to make it happen.  We have family staying with us and I am sure that this week will include other modifications like this.

Hope everyone is having a great week

2008-02-26 9:41 PM

Honestly, it depends what stage of training I'm in as to whether I just skip a workout, or try to somehow make it up. It also depens on what workouts I am missing. For example, I am in Base training for my IM right now, and so weekly training is about 8-10 hours, so it is pretty easy to add to my bike or run on 2 seperate days to make up for one missed, but as I get further along in training, a workout missed may be an hour and a half run + an hour swim, and that is really hard to make up, so I just lose an hour or two for that week, and I adjust the next week.
My daughter has been home all week with the flu, so I have had to adjust by spending extra time on my bike trainer (even late night, but not 3am- hee-hee), and doing a longer run on the weekend when my husband is available.
The weather has been amazing here in Washington. I hope that it is the same for you. It sure makes training that much more enjoyable. Good work everyone.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Waterdog's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14