BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-08-30 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
My wife did great this weekend at the Chicago tri. It was kind of fun being on the sidelines taking pics for once.

I'm really debating something here. IM Louisville opens for 2011 registration tomorrow. I want to do an IM! But I want to be smart about it. I want to finish comfortably. I have a friend that's a very experienced triathlete I was thinking of doing it with. He thinks he may do IM Wisconsin instead. I don't want WI to be my first. I don't think the course caters to my success. Now I really don't know if I want to do it on my own without support and someone with me in the race. So now I don't know if I want to sign up for 2011. I'm thinking about doing 1-2 HIM's next season reguardless, but I can't decide if I'm going to regret waiting till 2012 to do an IM. Any thoughts?

2010-08-30 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3070798

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-08-30 6:25 AM My wife did great this weekend at the Chicago tri. It was kind of fun being on the sidelines taking pics for once. I'm really debating something here. IM Louisville opens for 2011 registration tomorrow. I want to do an IM! But I want to be smart about it. I want to finish comfortably. I have a friend that's a very experienced triathlete I was thinking of doing it with. He thinks he may do IM Wisconsin instead. I don't want WI to be my first. I don't think the course caters to my success. Now I really don't know if I want to do it on my own without support and someone with me in the race. So now I don't know if I want to sign up for 2011. I'm thinking about doing 1-2 HIM's next season reguardless, but I can't decide if I'm going to regret waiting till 2012 to do an IM. Any thoughts?

I would wait for 2012.  While you might be able to pull it off, you are talking about a pretty demanding schedule.  Also, while not necessary, running a stand alone marathon before an IM would be smart.
2010-08-30 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3070909

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-08-30 9:03 AM

Meulen - 2010-08-30 6:25 AM My wife did great this weekend at the Chicago tri. It was kind of fun being on the sidelines taking pics for once. I'm really debating something here. IM Louisville opens for 2011 registration tomorrow. I want to do an IM! But I want to be smart about it. I want to finish comfortably. I have a friend that's a very experienced triathlete I was thinking of doing it with. He thinks he may do IM Wisconsin instead. I don't want WI to be my first. I don't think the course caters to my success. Now I really don't know if I want to do it on my own without support and someone with me in the race. So now I don't know if I want to sign up for 2011. I'm thinking about doing 1-2 HIM's next season reguardless, but I can't decide if I'm going to regret waiting till 2012 to do an IM. Any thoughts?

I would wait for 2012.  While you might be able to pull it off, you are talking about a pretty demanding schedule.  Also, while not necessary, running a stand alone marathon before an IM would be smart.

As usual, great advice. I'll schedule a half and full marathon for next season as well.
2010-08-30 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Well, lets just say my race this weekend had less than optimal conditions.  Race morning was in the 40s with 15-25 mph winds.  The lake was nasty. No exaggeration, the lake had continuous three foot chop pushing onshore.  Conditions were so poor that the race director cut the long course to one swim lap (800 yards) and the short course to aroung the pier.  The swim was more a test in survival than an actual swim.  The lifeguards had to pluck several people out of the water prior to the first buoy.  Being a smaller guy, I really got beat up in the water.  I struggled, but managed to make my way through. 73/121.

Bike course was as I remembered from last year.  Nothing special. I had one crash when another guy rode into my rear tire on a switchback.  Unfortunately, I was about 10 minutes off my goal time for the bike.  This bike course is probably one of the hardest XTERRAs out there.  This course served as the XTERRA Nationals for 8 years.  39/119.

Run was painful.  I didn't expect much here considering my recent injuries and low running volume.  Course was all single track weaving through the village green.  There were numerous obstacles to transverse too.  I felt fine aerobically, but just couldn't get my legs moving.  My lower back and VMOs were tight and sore.  The run was definately a struggle-fest.  55/115.

While this wasn't a great showing for me, I did pretty much what needed to be done.  I finished 38th overall and 6th in AG, received 47/75 points, and finished without any new injuries.  This weekend ended the 2010 XTERRA season; I should know about my standing and Nationals by Wednesday.
2010-08-30 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3070786

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
norcal_SAHD - 2010-08-30 8:21 AM my race report from Saturday is up, http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=224458&posts=1&start=1

In short, I sucked...  Not sure what happened on the swim, I can only hope the course was super long or something.  I actually felt fine, swam smooth and finished with the pack, but my time (my father in law timed my swim) was BAD at 3:30/100.  Anyway, considering my lack of training recently and the distractedness of life getting in the way of tri's, I guess I'm happy with the overall effort, but I certainly am bummed to actually be about a minute slower than I was at this race last year.

How can a weekend where you introduce your 8 year old to the fun be all bad!!!  OK, so results weren't what you expected; but, like you said, you've got a lot going on right now.  Taking a month off of training for the swim and still getting through it is an accomplisment in and of itself.
2010-08-30 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3070931

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Meulen - 2010-08-30 9:11 AM
brick94513 - 2010-08-30 9:03 AM

As usual, great advice. I'll schedule a half and full marathon for next season as well.

Only thing I'd add is "What's your long term goal?"  Think that if you lay out what you want to accomplish and by when, you'll be able to see a clear path.  Again, new to this whole thing, but it sure seems like it's a journey that takes 3-5 years just to build the really solid base.  From what you've shared, you're relatively new as well.  Would hate to see you go too fast and get hurt -- especially given that you seem to be making massive progress / turning in strong results.

2010-08-30 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3070982

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-08-30 9:29 AM

Well, lets just say my race this weekend had less than optimal conditions.  Race morning was in the 40s with 15-25 mph winds.  The lake was nasty. No exaggeration, the lake had continuous three foot chop pushing onshore.  Conditions were so poor that the race director cut the long course to one swim lap (800 yards) and the short course to aroung the pier.  The swim was more a test in survival than an actual swim.  The lifeguards had to pluck several people out of the water prior to the first buoy.  Being a smaller guy, I really got beat up in the water.  I struggled, but managed to make my way through. 73/121.

Bike course was as I remembered from last year.  Nothing special. I had one crash when another guy rode into my rear tire on a switchback.  Unfortunately, I was about 10 minutes off my goal time for the bike.  This bike course is probably one of the hardest XTERRAs out there.  This course served as the XTERRA Nationals for 8 years.  39/119.

Run was painful.  I didn't expect much here considering my recent injuries and low running volume.  Course was all single track weaving through the village green.  There were numerous obstacles to transverse too.  I felt fine aerobically, but just couldn't get my legs moving.  My lower back and VMOs were tight and sore.  The run was definately a struggle-fest.  55/115.

While this wasn't a great showing for me, I did pretty much what needed to be done.  I finished 38th overall and 6th in AG, received 47/75 points, and finished without any new injuries.  This weekend ended the 2010 XTERRA season; I should know about my standing and Nationals by Wednesday.

wow! that sounds rough. Solid finish in your AG, you got it. I'm sure you'll be back to yourself and kickn' butt for Nationals. Stellar Tim!!
2010-08-30 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3070982

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
brick94513 - 2010-08-30 9:29 AM Well, lets just say my race this weekend had less than optimal conditions.  Race morning was in the 40s with 15-25 mph winds.  The lake was nasty. No exaggeration, the lake had continuous three foot chop pushing onshore.  Conditions were so poor that the race director cut the long course to one swim lap (800 yards) and the short course to aroung the pier.  The swim was more a test in survival than an actual swim.  The lifeguards had to pluck several people out of the water prior to the first buoy.  Being a smaller guy, I really got beat up in the water.  I struggled, but managed to make my way through. 73/121.

We've got faith -- you're in!!!!  Sometimes things happen for a reason.  Maybe the setbacks over the last couple of months were to teach you to deal with adversity, have you slow down a bit to recover......  In preparation for an AWESOME finish at nationals!!!!
2010-08-30 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3071048

User image

Expert
croixfan - 2010-08-30 8:01 AM How can a weekend where you introduce your 8 year old to the fun be all bad!!!  OK, so results weren't what you expected; but, like you said, you've got a lot going on right now.  Taking a month off of training for the swim and still getting through it is an accomplisment in and of itself.

The weekend was great, my race performance was just bad.  I can pretty easily separate the two and not let one ruin the enjoyment of the other.  Fwiw, it was actually my daughters 4th and 5th tri's this weekend!  So far, in her 5 tri's she has 4 plaques.  I have zero...

Sunday was especially cool, she did the Luna all women's triathlon with my wife.  It was a much longer swim, 200 yards (compared to the 50 yards of her usual tri swims) but still a short 4 mile bike on closed roads, and a one mile run.  They did the entire event together, it was awesome!  I was their sherpa for the day.  Smile
2010-08-30 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3070798

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Meulen - 2010-08-30 6:25 AM I'm thinking about doing 1-2 HIM's next season reguardless, but I can't decide if I'm going to regret waiting till 2012 to do an IM. Any thoughts?

I agree with Tim. You could definitely do an IM, but it would be much smarter to do a HIM and fully mary in first to get an appreciation for the distance. The volume is pretty crazy for an IM. I've been looking over the 20 week plan which I'll be using for IMTX - starting January - and it's b-a-n-a-n-a-s. It peaks at 18 hours per week. The average training week is over 13 hours during the 3 main build phases. Usually you'll have 3 days each week of double workouts. Only one rest day per week. I'm a little scared to be honest. I think you can get by on less volume but I'll try to do the best I can. The name of the game will be doing lots of training before work so you can still get some time in with the family after work.

Marathon training by itself is a big deal. I ran 66.5 miles over the last two weeks and I'm not in the really scary portion of my training yet. Imagine throwing in 3 swims per week and tons of time in the saddle. Go for a HIM first then make the decision!
2010-08-30 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3071066

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
norcal_SAHD - 2010-08-30 8:07 AM
croixfan - 2010-08-30 8:01 AM How can a weekend where you introduce your 8 year old to the fun be all bad!!!  OK, so results weren't what you expected; but, like you said, you've got a lot going on right now.  Taking a month off of training for the swim and still getting through it is an accomplisment in and of itself.

The weekend was great, my race performance was just bad.  I can pretty easily separate the two and not let one ruin the enjoyment of the other.  Fwiw, it was actually my daughters 4th and 5th tri's this weekend!  So far, in her 5 tri's she has 4 plaques.  I have zero...

Sunday was especially cool, she did the Luna all women's triathlon with my wife.  It was a much longer swim, 200 yards (compared to the 50 yards of her usual tri swims) but still a short 4 mile bike on closed roads, and a one mile run.  They did the entire event together, it was awesome!  I was their sherpa for the day.  Smile

Nice work David! It sounds like this was a great family affair! Now you can sign up for next year, get the training hours that you wanted in, and kill your previous times!

2010-08-30 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Tim - maybe the waters of Lake Tahoe are sending you a sign?!? I've seen it really choppy like you described, but it's not that common, and it usually is pretty smooth in the morning. Anyways, job well done! It sounds like you have the points you need for nationals and that's the ultimate goal. When/where is that? Hopefully you have some time to get a little more hard training in so you can compete in top shape.
2010-08-30 1:41 PM
in reply to: #3071449

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
dhopman - 2010-08-30 12:25 PM

Meulen - 2010-08-30 6:25 AM I'm thinking about doing 1-2 HIM's next season reguardless, but I can't decide if I'm going to regret waiting till 2012 to do an IM. Any thoughts?

I agree with Tim. You could definitely do an IM, but it would be much smarter to do a HIM and fully mary in first to get an appreciation for the distance. The volume is pretty crazy for an IM. I've been looking over the 20 week plan which I'll be using for IMTX - starting January - and it's b-a-n-a-n-a-s. It peaks at 18 hours per week. The average training week is over 13 hours during the 3 main build phases. Usually you'll have 3 days each week of double workouts. Only one rest day per week. I'm a little scared to be honest. I think you can get by on less volume but I'll try to do the best I can. The name of the game will be doing lots of training before work so you can still get some time in with the family after work.

Marathon training by itself is a big deal. I ran 66.5 miles over the last two weeks and I'm not in the really scary portion of my training yet. Imagine throwing in 3 swims per week and tons of time in the saddle. Go for a HIM first then make the decision!

thanks Dave! I've already got 2 HIM's in the plan for next year. I was debating on using them to train for IM next year or just doing them alone. I know I can do it with the crazy training volume. Heck, at my peak this year I had some crazy training volume IMO. I don't have kids and the wife does this with me. Either way, being competitive, I think it may be wise to wait anyhow. I may be too tempted to go too hard and fail. It's probably better to build more of a base so I can go hard and still succeed.
2010-08-30 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3071066

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
norcal_SAHD - 2010-08-30 8:07 AM
They did the entire event together, it was awesome!  I was their sherpa for the day.  Smile

Thanks awesome!

My oldest did one of the TBF kid's duathlons this year.  It sure is a lot of fun watching them compete and having fun!
2010-08-30 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3071482

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
dhopman - 2010-08-30 10:36 AM Tim - maybe the waters of Lake Tahoe are sending you a sign?!?

No kidding...  The conditions were worse than any ocean swim I have ever done. 

When/where is that? Hopefully you have some time to get a little more hard training in so you can compete in top shape.

September 25th, Ogden, Utah, Snowbasin Resort.  Between now and then I'm mainly going to focus on the swim.

My fire department has an internal marine rescue program which responds in conjunction with State Parks to open water emergencies.  I've been offerred the opportunity to train for a position.  It just so happens that the week long state lifeguard course is the week before Nationals.  This will give me a huge amount of time in the ocean before the race!

2010-08-31 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3072642

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-08-30 10:42 PM

dhopman - 2010-08-30 10:36 AM Tim - maybe the waters of Lake Tahoe are sending you a sign?!?

No kidding...  The conditions were worse than any ocean swim I have ever done. 

When/where is that? Hopefully you have some time to get a little more hard training in so you can compete in top shape.

September 25th, Ogden, Utah, Snowbasin Resort.  Between now and then I'm mainly going to focus on the swim.

My fire department has an internal marine rescue program which responds in conjunction with State Parks to open water emergencies.  I've been offerred the opportunity to train for a position.  It just so happens that the week long state lifeguard course is the week before Nationals.  This will give me a huge amount of time in the ocean before the race!

Lucky!!!!! Finding time for swimming is my biggest problem

2010-08-31 6:33 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Got my marine rescue qualification swim in today while at work.  We had to do a 1,000 yard swim in the ocean in 20 minutes.  It was a shore start to a buoy and back.  No issues.  I made the swim in 18:43.  While not my best performance, it makes the standard.
2010-09-01 4:41 AM
in reply to: #3074670

User image

Expert
Canada
brick94513 - 2010-08-31 8:33 PM Got my marine rescue qualification swim in today while at work.  We had to do a 1,000 yard swim in the ocean in 20 minutes.  It was a shore start to a buoy and back.  No issues.  I made the swim in 18:43.  While not my best performance, it makes the standard.

Congrats...this "athlete stuff" is coming in handy! 
2010-09-01 6:52 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Look what I received today:

Dear XTERRA Competitor:

Congratulations! It’s my pleasure to invite you to compete in the XTERRA USA National Championship race to be held in Ogden, Utah on September 25, 2010.

As a leading regional points scorer, you have earned a slot at this prestigious event, where the title of National Champion in your age group will be up for grabs.

The field is limited to those racers, like yourself, who have qualified in the eight XTERRA regions throughout the country.

Looks like I'm going to Utah!
2010-09-01 7:01 PM
in reply to: #3077240

User image

Expert
Canada
brick94513 - 2010-09-01 8:52 PM

Dear XTERRA Competitor:

Congratulations! It’s my pleasure to invite you to compete in the XTERRA USA National Championship race to be held in Ogden, Utah on September 25, 2010.

As a leading regional points scorer, you have earned a slot at this prestigious event, where the title of National Champion in your age group will be up for grabs.

The field is limited to those racers, like yourself, who have qualified in the eight XTERRA regions throughout the country.

CoolCoolCool 
2010-09-01 10:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
brick94513 - 2010-09-01 6:52 PM

Dear XTERRA Competitor:

Told you so!!!

Now relax, enjoy the training leading up to the race, and trust that your rewards waiting for you at nationals / the bad luck's behind you.

Congrats on the achievement.

2010-09-01 10:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Dear XTERRA Competitor:

Told you so!!!

Now relax, enjoy the training leading up to the race, and trust that your rewards waiting for you at nationals / the bad luck's behind you.

Congrats on the achievement.
2010-09-02 7:08 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Dear XTERRA Competitor:

congrats!....it is confirmed, you are a stud!!
2010-09-02 11:41 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

How's everyone doing with their training?  Anyone have any races coming up?

It was a hard decision, but I decided to forgo the two HIM races I had scheduled for the end of the year.  Instead, I'm going to do two more olympic distance off-road races then focus on cross training for the rest of the year.  I really think I need a few weeks of reduced running volume to heal.

I would love to finish the year at XTERRA Worlds in Kona, but the chances of me finishing in the top three at Nationals is very unlikely.  Not being pessimistic, just realistic about the competition.  I'm thinking I'll make this a goal for 2011.

2010-09-02 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3078576

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-09-02 11:41 AM

How's everyone doing with their training?  Anyone have any races coming up?

It was a hard decision, but I decided to forgo the two HIM races I had scheduled for the end of the year.  Instead, I'm going to do two more olympic distance off-road races then focus on cross training for the rest of the year.  I really think I need a few weeks of reduced running volume to heal.

I would love to finish the year at XTERRA Worlds in Kona, but the chances of me finishing in the top three at Nationals is very unlikely.  Not being pessimistic, just realistic about the competition.  I'm thinking I'll make this a goal for 2011.

that sounds like a smart plan IMO.

Training is falling off for me. I don't have any races "planned" for the rest of the season. But I will more than likely do one or two more on a whim. Maybe an MTB race, a trail run, and or half mary. I'm heading out to Vegas this weekend so I've been busy getting things in order. The next couple weeks will be a struggle to get workouts in.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108