Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2011-12-14 11:13 PM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!

OK, so I promise to catch up on your guys' recent posts as soon as I can, but now is too crazy busy, and this is what I really wanted to tell you...

OH MY FREAKING GOODNESS!  Ryan found out today that he tore his meniscus, and as such, HE will be getting surgery on the 22nd.  SO, long story short, that day is the only option for him.  And as such, I'll be having surgery on the 20th instead!  BAHHHHH.  Two people on crutches sounds like so much fun!  Can't wait!

2011-12-15 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3939106

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

You guys really have to work on your timing!  Very inconsiderate of him to do tear his meniscus now, I mean how are you supposed to milk your recovery time now??  This will definately make for an interesting holiday for the both of you and not to mention your dog, I hope you have someone close by that can lend a hand.  I wish you both speedy recoveries!

SoccerGK - 2011-12-14 9:13 PM

OK, so I promise to catch up on your guys' recent posts as soon as I can, but now is too crazy busy, and this is what I really wanted to tell you...

OH MY FREAKING GOODNESS!  Ryan found out today that he tore his meniscus, and as such, HE will be getting surgery on the 22nd.  SO, long story short, that day is the only option for him.  And as such, I'll be having surgery on the 20th instead!  BAHHHHH.  Two people on crutches sounds like so much fun!  Can't wait!

2011-12-15 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3937894

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

That sounds very yummy too, I may have to try that

chichitao - 2011-12-14 6:00 AM

My wife has a favorite of hers that is very similar, but instead of using soy sauce she uses a raspberry chipotle sauce.

corstan - 2011-12-13 3:39 PM

The easiest and most tasty appetizer I make is really simple and a little bit odd, but it is always a success. 

1 block Philledelphia cream cheese(I use light) on a plate, poke lots of little holes in it with a toothpick, then drizzle soy sauce(I use reduced salt) all over it.

Roast up some sesame seeds in a frying pan and sprinkle over top. 

Serve with crackers (I prefer rice crackers)

2011-12-15 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Anyone else want to join me and commit to a workout today?

I have to drop off the wife off at the bar for happy hour at 5pm, so I am dressing for the gym and will head there to run on the treadmill after that.  Gotta get in 4-5mi, as I have an 8 miler scheduled this weekend.

2011-12-15 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3939931

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
chichitao - 2011-12-15 1:21 PM

I have to drop off the wife off at the bar for happy hour at 5pm, so I am dressing for the gym and will head there to run on the treadmill after that.  Gotta get in 4-5mi, as I have an 8 miler scheduled this weekend.

I'm in. I'll go for a 45 minute trainer ride (my bike fitness is AWFUL right now, 45 minutes will be a good ride :S) 1 entire episode of a show. 

So I have decided with all my new time off, I am going to focus on working out a LOT. You guys are going to start hearing from me about it in the new year. I'll be logging my workouts, doing my blog, everything. I'm gonna need to pass the time. Sorry in advance for being annoying

As for appetizers, my mom does a GREAT layered dip. Horribly unhealthy, but hey. It's a layer of refried beans, a layer of guac, then a mix of sour cream, mayo and taco mix (i think), then cheese and nacho type veggies. Serve with nacho chips... SO GOOD. It is deadly, every year.

2011-12-15 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
I am using up vacation days this week so I hit the gym this morning when both boys were in school. That stairmaster kicked my rear for some reason.

2011-12-15 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3940106

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC

Mrschach - 2011-12-15 2:50 PM I am using up vacation days this week so I hit the gym this morning when both boys were in school. That stairmaster kicked my rear for some reason.

Isn't that what it's supposed to be workin'? Wink

2011-12-15 2:07 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

I LOVE those kinds of dips Pete.  I could eat those all day long.  And thanks for signing up with me for today.  45min is a good ride on the trainer.  I can't go much more than 1hr on those things.  I've been letting my bike fitness slip a bit too since I've been focusing on the running more lately.

And we always knew you were annoying, it is just easier to tolerate when you are being healthy and working out!   Good to hear.  I will be joining you in the effort after the holidays and my bday (31st). 

Good for you getting the workout out of the way already Meggan.  So you said you are using vacation days this week, does that mean you are back at work?

2011-12-15 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3940130

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
chichitao - 2011-12-15 3:07 PM

I LOVE those kinds of dips Pete.  I could eat those all day long.  And thanks for signing up with me for today.  45min is a good ride on the trainer.  I can't go much more than 1hr on those things.  I've been letting my bike fitness slip a bit too since I've been focusing on the running more lately.

And we always knew you were annoying, it is just easier to tolerate when you are being healthy and working out!   Good to hear.  I will be joining you in the effort after the holidays and my bday (31st). 

Good for you getting the workout out of the way already Meggan.  So you said you are using vacation days this week, does that mean you are back at work?

If you want the recipe, I can get it for you. But let me tell you... I can eat a whole 9" pie plate of it, it's that good. I strongly recommend NOT making it. Your pants will hate you.

2011-12-15 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Yep, been back for a month now.
2011-12-15 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3939931

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

I will join you, and commit to going to my last swim club night of the year.  I have been finding it very hard to motivate myself to leave my warm comfy chair to swim at 9PM! I have to work extra hard tonight because my tempo run from last night was very slow because I took my dog with me and he slowed down at about 2K and then gave up at 2.5K, it was a long fast walk, slow jog back!

Pete, I love the seven layer dip, you can make it a little healthier by using fat free refried beans(no lard is used) non fat sour cream or greek yogurt and skip the mayo altogether, here is a good recipe:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=254543  oh and sparkpeople is a great site for finding healthy recipes.

chichitao - 2011-12-15 10:21 AM

2011-12-16 7:50 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Got my run in last night, 4mi on the treadmill. 

So sorry to hear about Ryan, Erica.  That is tough luck and like Sandra said, you won't be able to milk it for everything it is worth now.   So, when do we start getting the Nike discounts?!

2011-12-16 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC

I did my 45 mins on the bike. I can't wait to start doing that again more frequently. I forget how much I love working out when I don't do it. 

Erica, that's brutal! Hopefully you have people who are going to be able to help out around the house. It's amazing how little you can do while on crutches (like, you can't get a glass of water...) I did it for 3 months, and I would have been useless on my own. I'd start planning something. It's going to be tough for both of you to be on crutches!

So I watched the Kona coverage last night. Not as good as previous years, but man, Chrissie is a beast! 20 minutes off the leader coming into T2, and still winning? Jeez. She is just incredible. Every year, my heart breaks for Lieto and Dibens. Just so hard to watch them constantly crumble. I was almost in tears laying in bed last night, listening to all of the stories. So heart warming.

2011-12-16 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3940881

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

I made it to swim club last night and the coach had a great workout set up for us, a 4 lane timed circuit, and in one of the lanes you had to be attached to bungy cord and make it to the opposite end of the pool, first with fins, hard but not to bad, then without fins, omg gasping for breath at the end and lastly with a parachute and the bungy cord with your choice of using fins or not...I like an idiot chose no fins!  I am, however, proud to say I was one of only 3 people that made it to the end of the pool!

Anyway it was crazy but we had a ton of fun.

Pete, I watched the Kona coverage on the weekend and have to agree it wasn't as good as last year, but watching Chrissie...wow, I worship her!  I always want to see more of the age grouper stories in the coverage than the elites though, I watched the race live and saw plenty of them that day, so give me more heart warming stories of perseverance and determination to inspire me, those people had me in tears too Pete.  I knew three people racing that day and catching a glimpse of them would have been cool too!

Now a special Birthday shout out to Meggan! Happy Birthday to you, hope you have a fantastic day!!

2011-12-16 10:48 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

*GOLD STAR TO EVERYONE*

Good job on getting all the workouts in.  That sounds like a brutal workout Sandra!  You paid money to be abused like that?

Happy Birthday Meggan!

2011-12-19 8:52 PM

User image

Expert
Portland

Hi all!  It's still Erica, I'm just posting from Ryan's username because, well, I'm too lazy to go get my computer, and he's already signed in anyway.  So yep, here I am!

We got back to Fond du Lac at around 1:30am Sunday morning (central time) after leaving Portland around 10:30am Pacific time.  I think we ended up with 29 hours of actual drive time, but we stopped in Montana to sleep Friday night since it was SO dark for most of the drive.  It feels way good to be home, but only because it's my own space with Ryan and Nadie.  I already miss my internship, the people there, my cousins, and the city.  I feel like it was all a dream!  Anyway, on my last day, my boss told me I was the best intern he'd ever had(!!!!), so that's awesome because I would LOVE to go back to work there some day.  It's the coolest place ever.  No joke.

So, my mom is coming tonight, and I go in for surgery at noon tomorrow.  Don't know how long it will take yet, but considering I won't actually start surgery until like 1:30, I'm hoping to be home around 4-5 or so.  Who knows!  I'm so ready for this surgery.  My knee has been hurting pretty badly lately.  Here goes nothing!

2011-12-19 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3945107

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Good luck with the surgery tomorrow!  Glad you arrived home safe and sound, that was one long road trip for you two.

menglo - 2011-12-19 6:52 PM

Hi all!  It's still Erica, I'm just posting from Ryan's username because, well, I'm too lazy to go get my computer, and he's already signed in anyway.  So yep, here I am!

We got back to Fond du Lac at around 1:30am Sunday morning (central time) after leaving Portland around 10:30am Pacific time.  I think we ended up with 29 hours of actual drive time, but we stopped in Montana to sleep Friday night since it was SO dark for most of the drive.  It feels way good to be home, but only because it's my own space with Ryan and Nadie.  I already miss my internship, the people there, my cousins, and the city.  I feel like it was all a dream!  Anyway, on my last day, my boss told me I was the best intern he'd ever had(!!!!), so that's awesome because I would LOVE to go back to work there some day.  It's the coolest place ever.  No joke.

So, my mom is coming tonight, and I go in for surgery at noon tomorrow.  Don't know how long it will take yet, but considering I won't actually start surgery until like 1:30, I'm hoping to be home around 4-5 or so.  Who knows!  I'm so ready for this surgery.  My knee has been hurting pretty badly lately.  Here goes nothing!

2011-12-20 8:53 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Sending all the good thoughts I can muster your way for the surgery Erica!

Make sure and type us all a response when you are all doped up and foggy after it is over.

2011-12-20 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Thinking of you Erica!
2011-12-20 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Tim...did you decide on appetizers for Christmas?
2011-12-20 10:35 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

I'm back and I'm alive!

I got to the hospital at like noon, but the guy ahead of me in surgery had some complications, so I didn't get wheeled into the OR until like 3:15.  I guess I got back into my recovery room at like 5:30 or so, then got home finally at like 7:30.  So it was a LONG DAY, and I was starving once I got home!  My mom made me some AWESOME polenta, which really hit the spot, and I slept for a while, but now I'm up watching some tv.  I'm in a little pain, but overall I'm doing okay and still drowsy from the surgery.  I'm in a huge brace that immobilizes my whole leg in a straight position, and I won't be allowed to bear any weight on it for about a week at least.  

He did have to make an incision to drill into my knee cap, which is probably what most of the pain is coming from, and that is supposed to allow blood into the area to promote recovery.  I go back in next Wednesday for a follow-up.  Overall though, I was impressed with the people who worked on me, and my doctor seemed okay with it when I told him the goal is to be playing soccer next fall and hopefully running a HM.  That makes me way happy!

I have to start doing my exercises as soon as TOMORROW, which is crazy.  I need to stay up on my pain meds!  Really lucky to have my mom and Ryan taking care of me.  They are both awesome, and I have to stay on their good sides because one of them is going to have to help me with a sponge bath soon!  No showering for 8 days!  Yuck!

Anyway, I hope everyone else is having a good week!  I'm happy I have you guys in this group because you will be awesome to have during this recovery, and I already appreciate it!  Promise to keep you posted on everything.  

OH yeah, and happy birthday, Meggan!!!! Sorry I missed it the other day!  Hope you got to do something special.

2011-12-21 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3946588

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Not yet.  I did find one I am going to try.  It's a cream cheese and bacon spread rolled up in pastry dough then sliced into pinwheels.  Anything with bacon is good!  Another one I've done in the past and may do again is a caprese skewers (skewer half a cherry tomato, fresh basil, and mozzarella balls, then drizzle with olive oil and a little salt/pepper). 

Any other ideas?  How was your bday?

Mrschach - 2011-12-20 3:43 PM Tim...did you decide on appetizers for Christmas?

2011-12-21 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Glad to see you doing well, Erica, and that everything went smoothly.  Take advantage of this time before Ryan is sitting next to you in his leg brace!  It'll be a long road, but we'll be there pushing you on.
2011-12-21 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3947461

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2011-12-21 7:48 AM

Not yet.  I did find one I am going to try.  It's a cream cheese and bacon spread rolled up in pastry dough then sliced into pinwheels.  Anything with bacon is good!  Another one I've done in the past and may do again is a caprese skewers (skewer half a cherry tomato, fresh basil, and mozzarella balls, then drizzle with olive oil and a little salt/pepper). 

Any other ideas?  How was your bday?

Mrschach - 2011-12-20 3:43 PM Tim...did you decide on appetizers for Christmas?

The day was good!  The whole weekend was good.  I was off Wednesday, THursday, and Friday last week so lots of fun things happening.  Friday, my birthday, my mom, sister, and I took the boys into Philly to see a few Christmas things.  The Macys there does a huge light show and story.  It is four stories high in the center of the store.  This is the second year I took the boys over.  This year we also went to the Comcast building for their Christmas show.  Their lobby has a wall of screens and it is an actual video.  They loved both of them.  And then Friday night we had our neighbors over for a holiday get together and had a great time.  It ended up being 12 adults and 6 kids.  We invited two families that live right around us that have kids in Joe's class.  It was a busy weekend all around.  Sunday morning we went to breakfast with Santa at the fire station and both boys actually sat on Santa's lap.

2011-12-21 6:45 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Well, I have barely left the couch all day today again, except to go to the bathroom (which is incredibly difficult with my immobilizing brace).  My mom took really good care of me today though.  I'm SO happy that my mom cares that much to drive 5 hours to visit us and take care of us.

Ryan goes in tomorrow at noon, also, but he'll likely be good to go on Saturday for the Christmas festivities. I don't know if I'll go with him since I still have some pain, but I do really want to be there when he wakes up!  We'll see how I feel.  

Anyway, I apologize for repeating myself, if I do, because I'm on hydrocodone, and apparently I've asked Ryan the same questions like 30 times each today.  I did my exercises earlier, and I have to do more in a couple hours.  I'm determined to get back into soccer and running next summer, so I'll do anything now that will get me there!

Thanks for sticking with me, all!  I'm going to need you guys more than ever now.  Long road to recovery, but I WILL be doing a HIM in 2013.  It's been decided!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103