BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-10-03 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
Thanks folks.  While it is nice to be able hit a PB at age 52, it also means I'm only now getting around to exploring my potential.   My last year of running has been far and away the most consistent period of running in my life.  It will be interesting to see what I can do in this same race next year.   

2010-10-04 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3130922

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I have one more California run before I head back home.  I am planning a 9 mile run along the beach again.  I think I could get used to running near the ocean and hearing the wave crash.  Besides, it is a lot more busy than running some of the roads/trails at home and sometimes that makes the runs go faster because of the distraction.  Of course being that its on the beach there could be a few other distractions as well.   ( I am sure the guys might figure out what that might be.)  Once I complete my run today I will have 24 miles in already this week.

While in Cali, I have been able to get some body surfing in and some boogie boarding on some 6-8 foot waves with a few 10 footers in there occasionally.  That has been killer for me.  The last time I was at the ocean was a few years ago and it was the Atlantic and the waves are much smaller there.  Other than the cost of living out here I could really get used to the beach and mountains being close together.  I could really get some good hill work in on both running and riding.

2010-10-04 3:25 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I completed my run for today and I went an extra mile and added 2 miles to the tempo distance.  I warmed up for the first mile and began my tempo.  I wasn't feeling it at all when I started the run but that changed after the first 2 miles.  I felt so good that the 6 miles I was planning for tempo work turned into 8 and the length of the run turned into 10.

I ran the tempo set at 7:15 avg. and felt good the whole time.  I ran at a comfortably hard pace and probably could have done a couple more miles if I needed to.  This run gave me more confidence for my race at the end of the month.  Now I have a flight back to Indiana tomorrow and there is no way I am going to be able to run until Wednesday.  I am not sure when I will get another run in actually because I have been away from the family for several days and (with the wife's blessing) I missed our 23rd anniversary to see my nephew.

2010-10-05 2:57 AM

User image

Was very pleased with how my legs felt on my short 3 mile run today.  They actually felt better than the first 3 miles of my 15 miler yesterday. 

Dirk - maybe it's just in my head, but these zoot recovery tights are the real deal IMO.  Normally the day after a long run I'm a lot more sore and stiff.  People regularly ask me the next morning at work why I'm limping and walking up and down stairs requires me to hold on to the railing.  Not today though.  Part of it has to be imporved fitness compared to last year, but I'm sold on these tights.  I'm looking into some calf sleeves next.
2010-10-05 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3132960

User image

Champion
looks like everyone is keeping with things and doing well.

I had a bit of an interesting weekend. I went with a friend who was running her first ultra (the blues cruise 50k in reading PA, all single track trails).

I was going to sleep for the first bit of the race (its an out and back, so they would be gone for a while), and then go for a run out to the first or 2nd aid stations. They were at miles 3.5 and 8 or so, so it would give me a decent run to do.
Well i ended up taking the wrong trail around the lake and didn't realize it until i'd made it 7 miles out, crap, turned around, and headed back. got to the right trail, and started working my way out (i was ave 10min pace and it was hard). get to the first aid station which was being maned by the blues brothers, aweome!!

Hung out for a few minutes, and then decided i was getting a bit cold* (more of this later and would keep runnign to meet my friend).
Made it out to the 2nd aid station and started passing people coming back in, the leaders were FLYING (guy that won set a new course record of 3:34 for 31 miles of single track).

I finally met up with my friend at mile 8 1/2 of the course, and ran it back with her. ended the day with 32 miles total, in approx 5:20 min. legs are shot, an my body is totally out of whack (have slept about 2-3 hours each ngith, thats it).

* I ran the whole thing in jorts (cutoff jean shorts, for those that remember the same pair i did the 5k in back in feb). jorts and a pair of zoot lightweight trainers, sockless.
fun times!!
2010-10-05 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3133126

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Thats crazyness  David.  LOL  You might as well have done the race yourself.  With your jorts you might have a good post in the pace booty thread, but I'm not particularly interested in seeing that myself. 

J,  Those tight might come in handy for me later.........well actually right now too, but I 'm gonna have to hold off for a little bit yet.  It would be nice to have them for right after the race though.  I may try to sneak a pair by then.

2010-10-05 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
32 miles??? That's awesome! especially in Jorts (any pics??)
2010-10-05 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3134405

User image

Champion
haha i'm looking for photos as we speak, i know some were taken, just trying to find them.
2010-10-05 8:06 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Dude, you're my hero.  I wish I could run 32 miles.  And honestly, my legs are like 6 ft long, it would be really funny in jorts.

So someone tell me what's up with my left foot.  It's sore after every time I sit still, lay down, sleep etc.  Like the damn thing tightens up and then hurts when I flex it.  It has no pain at all due to pressure if I rub it.  Been like this for a couple weeks. 
2010-10-06 12:08 AM

User image

Had another great 5 mile easy run today.  Had to resist the temptation to speed up.  I'll need my energy tomorrow because I have a 10 mile run with 5.5 at tempo pace.
2010-10-06 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3134779

User image

Champion
jgerbodegrant - 2010-10-05 7:06 PM

Dude, you're my hero. I wish I could run 32 miles. And honestly, my legs are like 6 ft long, it would be really funny in jorts.

So someone tell me what's up with my left foot. It's sore after every time I sit still, lay down, sleep etc. Like the damn thing tightens up and then hurts when I flex it. It has no pain at all due to pressure if I rub it. Been like this for a couple weeks.

hurt all the time, or just when you first get up in the morning/from sitting still for a while?
sore or sharp pain?
where does it hurt?

Right off the bat (have no checked logs), if you have not done anything odd training wise, the first place i would look are your shoes, are they old? needing replaced?

2010-10-06 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3135335

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
newbz - 2010-10-06 8:37 AM
jgerbodegrant - 2010-10-05 7:06 PM Dude, you're my hero. I wish I could run 32 miles. And honestly, my legs are like 6 ft long, it would be really funny in jorts.

So someone tell me what's up with my left foot. It's sore after every time I sit still, lay down, sleep etc. Like the damn thing tightens up and then hurts when I flex it. It has no pain at all due to pressure if I rub it. Been like this for a couple weeks.
hurt all the time, or just when you first get up in the morning/from sitting still for a while? sore or sharp pain? where does it hurt? Right off the bat (have no checked logs), if you have not done anything odd training wise, the first place i would look are your shoes, are they old? needing replaced?

It hurts when I've been sleeping or sitting for a while and get up.  The pain is more dull, but it's in my foot, so it feels sharp...I know that doesn't really help.  it hurts in my arch, almost across my whole foot.  Done nothing crazy training wise.  My shoes only have like 200 miles on them.  I weigh 192, so I don't think 200 miles would kill them, but who knows.  Newtons are supposed to last even longer (supposedly).  What do you think? 
2010-10-07 12:57 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Funny story about my 3rd graders
The story in our reading book this week was about the Olympics and one of the vocabulary words was medal. So, I brought in my finisher medals from my triathlons so that the kids could see what a medal looked like. I mentioned that I did races, but that was about it.
Since then, my students have told other kids & teachers all kinds of crazy stuff about me and my triathlons. My favorites are that I am a professional athlete (when I'm not teaching 3rd grade of course) and that I won the Olympics (the entire thing?).
2010-10-07 1:13 AM
in reply to: #3137599

User image

jpbis26 - 2010-10-06 8:57 PM Funny story about my 3rd graders
The story in our reading book this week was about the Olympics and one of the vocabulary words was medal. So, I brought in my finisher medals from my triathlons so that the kids could see what a medal looked like. I mentioned that I did races, but that was about it.
Since then, my students have told other kids & teachers all kinds of crazy stuff about me and my triathlons. My favorites are that I am a professional athlete (when I'm not teaching 3rd grade of course) and that I won the Olympics (the entire thing?).

so wait a minute...you're saying you're not a professional athlete???  And you didn't really win the Olympics???

LOL!  At least your entire class didn't beg for robot legs.
2010-10-07 1:22 AM

User image

I had another awesome run tonight.  My plan was to do 10 miles around Ala Moana beach park which is 2.74 miles.  The first lap I would do easy and just warm up, then do the next 2 laps or 5.5 miles at a good tempo pace (I was thinking about 8:40 mm...my goal marathon pace is 9:00 mm), then cool down the last lap slightly cutting the park short to land at 10 miles instead of 11.

First lap goes really good.  I actually have to hold myself back and took a minute to use the restroom and still averaged 10:11 mm...I was planning more like 10:20-10:30 even without the bathroom break.

Second lap I start to find my tempo pace and average 8:31 mm.  Okay...a little bit fast, but I felt great.

Third lap comes around and it's getting dark so there are lots of people leaving the park.  Which means I'm constantly dodging people, and thus naturally pick up the pace as I'm weaving on and off the path to the grass.  Mid way through I know I'm going much faster...but heck...I still feel good, so I keep the pace and average 7:56.  Whoa...haven't done that before in a training run.

Cooled down the third lap at a nice 10:21 mm pace and felt awesome with a big smile.

Marathon training seems to be going really well.  And I think the thousands of bike miles I put in over the summer are carrying over to my run fitness in a small way.

Tomorrow is an off day for running...just some time on my bike.  Haven't been this excited about running in a while.

2010-10-07 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3137405

User image

Champion
jgerbodegrant - 2010-10-06 7:34 PM

newbz - 2010-10-06 8:37 AM
jgerbodegrant - 2010-10-05 7:06 PM Dude, you're my hero. I wish I could run 32 miles. And honestly, my legs are like 6 ft long, it would be really funny in jorts.

hurt all the time, or just when you first get up in the morning/from sitting still for a while? sore or sharp pain? where does it hurt? Right off the bat (have no checked logs), if you have not done anything odd training wise, the first place i would look are your shoes, are they old? needing replaced?

It hurts when I've been sleeping or sitting for a while and get up. The pain is more dull, but it's in my foot, so it feels sharp...I know that doesn't really help. it hurts in my arch, almost across my whole foot. Done nothing crazy training wise. My shoes only have like 200 miles on them. I weigh 192, so I don't think 200 miles would kill them, but who knows. Newtons are supposed to last even longer (supposedly). What do you think?

stay away from the newtons;-)

Um, which ones are you running in, have you been in them through all of your training thus far? (i only ask as i know about 7 different people personally who have been hurt running in them).

If its both feet, and it goes away as you get up and moving, outside of hte shoes i'd say just take an extra day or two off running, ice them a few times, and some advil.

both feet and going away is telling me something is sore/bruised/inflamed, but (at least not yet) actually injured.

Think about it like this: shin splints, when heated, tend to stop hurting as much or go away. It's an inflamed tendon, and heating loosens things up

A stress fracture hurts more the more you move on it, broken bone, not good.

Take a day or two more than normal off, give it some rest, and see how that effects things.

FWIW my feet the past few weeks are more sore than normal and besides needing new shoes i'm also gussing part of it is due to it getting colder out.

2010-10-07 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3137603

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
tri808 - 2010-10-07 2:22 AM

I had another awesome run tonight.  My plan was to do 10 miles around Ala Moana beach park which is 2.74 miles.  The first lap I would do easy and just warm up, then do the next 2 laps or 5.5 miles at a good tempo pace (I was thinking about 8:40 mm...my goal marathon pace is 9:00 mm), then cool down the last lap slightly cutting the park short to land at 10 miles instead of 11.

First lap goes really good.  I actually have to hold myself back and took a minute to use the restroom and still averaged 10:11 mm...I was planning more like 10:20-10:30 even without the bathroom break.

Second lap I start to find my tempo pace and average 8:31 mm.  Okay...a little bit fast, but I felt great.

Third lap comes around and it's getting dark so there are lots of people leaving the park.  Which means I'm constantly dodging people, and thus naturally pick up the pace as I'm weaving on and off the path to the grass.  Mid way through I know I'm going much faster...but heck...I still feel good, so I keep the pace and average 7:56.  Whoa...haven't done that before in a training run.

Cooled down the third lap at a nice 10:21 mm pace and felt awesome with a big smile.

Marathon training seems to be going really well.  And I think the thousands of bike miles I put in over the summer are carrying over to my run fitness in a small way.

Tomorrow is an off day for running...just some time on my bike.  Haven't been this excited about running in a while.

That's kinda how I felt on my tempo run on Monday of this week.  I wanted to keep going but I figured I had already stretched my tempo portion 2 miles father than planned, so I knocked off.  It feels good sometimes when it seems like you just fall into a groove and a normally more difficult pace feels like your gliding.

I ran 7 miles last night at an easy pace and it was easier at a faster pace than I am used to.  I just tried to run on RPE rahter than at what would normally be an easy run pace.  It wasn't much faster, only 10-15 faster than I would try to stick to for the easy paces.

2010-10-07 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3138300

User image

Champion
sounds like running is going well all around.

I got in a good 7 miler last night with a local club, nice comfortable pace, just over 7min pace, legs are feeling back to normal minus a bit of knee soreness.

2010-10-07 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3137602

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
tri808 - 2010-10-07 1:13 AM
jpbis26 - 2010-10-06 8:57 PM Funny story about my 3rd graders

so wait a minute...you're saying you're not a professional athlete???  And you didn't really win the Olympics???

LOL!  At least your entire class didn't beg for robot legs.

Thanks for reading my blog

Great job on the run.
2010-10-08 1:01 PM

User image

Does anyone else have Columbus Day (Monday) off?  I just realized yesterday it's a holiday for us.

Won't really change much for me as far as my weekend plans though.
2010-10-08 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3141258

User image

Champion
nope, but then again i didn't have much on the plate monday anyway.

2010-10-09 7:23 AM
in reply to: #3141258

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Nope.  Years ago we traded Columbus day for the day for the Friday after Thanksgiving.  I like it better that way.  Especially having almost all our family out of town.

2010-10-09 10:42 AM

User image

about to head out for a brisk 27 mile ride.  Going to have to make sure I hold back a bit though.  Last saturday I was dropping the hammer and paid for it the next day during the long run
2010-10-09 8:38 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I have a question.

I am just a few weeks away from the race and I am just checking on some mileage for my weeks leading up to the race.  Here's what I am thinking about doing..........

Wk.  10-10-10: Sunday 6 miles, Monday 8 miles (6 Tempo), Tuesday 6 miles and Friday 14 miles = 34 miles

Wk.  10-17-10  Sunday 4 miles, Monday 8 miles (4 Tempo), Tuesday 4 miles and Friday 10 miles = 26 miles

Race Wk.  10-24-10  Sunday 3 miles, Monday 5 miles, Wednesday 3 miles  (MAYBE 2 easy miles on Saturday) Race Sunday.

I was thinking about running the last 2 miles of the race course on Saturday if I get ancy.

What are you thinking?

2010-10-09 10:56 PM

User image

dirk...what has been your avg weekly mileage the last 6 weeks?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105