of 103

2011-12-21 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3948865

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!
SoccerGK - 2011-12-21 6:45 PM

Well, I have barely left the couch all day today again, except to go to the bathroom (which is incredibly difficult with my immobilizing brace).  My mom took really good care of me today though.  I'm SO happy that my mom cares that much to drive 5 hours to visit us and take care of us.

Ryan goes in tomorrow at noon, also, but he'll likely be good to go on Saturday for the Christmas festivities. I don't know if I'll go with him since I still have some pain, but I do really want to be there when he wakes up!  We'll see how I feel.  

Anyway, I apologize for repeating myself, if I do, because I'm on hydrocodone, and apparently I've asked Ryan the same questions like 30 times each today.  I did my exercises earlier, and I have to do more in a couple hours.  I'm determined to get back into soccer and running next summer, so I'll do anything now that will get me there!

Thanks for sticking with me, all!  I'm going to need you guys more than ever now.  Long road to recovery, but I WILL be doing a HIM in 2013.  It's been decided!

Hang in there Erica!  It is only the second day and it will get better.  I am sure he understands if you can't be at the hospital tomorrow.  Remind me, what is he having done?

2011-12-21 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Meggan, he tore his meniscus so they'll just have to scope his knee and cutout the ripped parts. He's had this done 4 times before, two on each knee. So he will likely be moving around on Friday. Fun!
2011-12-22 6:45 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Both me and Ryan are officially gimps now! Ryan got some rough news though. The doctor doesn't think he will ever be able to run again. Apparently, he has next to no cartilage left in his knee, and if he keeps running, he would have to have a total knee replacement within like 10 years. Feel so bad for him! We are going to talk about our next lone of attack once he wakes up. Wish us luck!
2011-12-22 7:01 PM
in reply to: #3950634

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

That's terrible news for Ryan!  But with everything that life hands us, we always manage to find another outlet, I will throw out speed walking again, low impact and some of those speed walkers are faster than a lot of runners..you just need to get past the wiggle part of it:-D  The other activity I took up when I wasn't able to run years ago was roller blading, though that ran the risk of many other injuries, including run ins with prickle bushes(I still have scars)  there are also lots of biking only events to consider, if you move to Portland, surfing/wind surfing is big on the coast.  Lot's to think about, but as always we are here to support you:-)

SoccerGK - 2011-12-22 4:45 PM Both me and Ryan are officially gimps now! Ryan got some rough news though. The doctor doesn't think he will ever be able to run again. Apparently, he has next to no cartilage left in his knee, and if he keeps running, he would have to have a total knee replacement within like 10 years. Feel so bad for him! We are going to talk about our next lone of attack once he wakes up. Wish us luck!

2011-12-22 7:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Wow, I wish I had Taken a picture when I read that news, Erica. I think my jaw must have hit the floor in a millisecond. That is awful news. I'm so sorry to hear that. I feel so bad for him. I guess you'll have to do all the running for him!
2011-12-23 6:01 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
I am so sorry for him Erica.  My mom just had her right knee replaced at 60 because of arthritis.  She has had just about no cartlidge in that knee for the past 10 years.  Her left knee is bad but not nearly as bad.  She will need that one replaced in the next 5 to 6 years.  She should do it sooner than later but I know she wants to wait until Logan is in Kindergarten which will be September of 2013.  She has been really limited in her activity for the past 10 to 15 years because of her knee.  One of my husband's friends just had a full hip replacement this week at the age of 35.  It is just crazy. 

2011-12-23 6:56 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

And how is Christmas in two days!?!  I feel like my to do list keeps getting longer.  I cross one thing off and add two more things.  I wish I could delegate more but John has to work tomorrow so I am on my own with cleaning and a lot of the prep work.  My parents are taking the boys out to breakfast tomorrow morning so I can clean.  I don't mind cooking with them at the house but they work against me when I am trying to clean!  I told my mom I need a good hour and a half and then they can return with the boys.  My mom grabbed the wrong kind of beef at the store Wednesday so now I have to hit up the butcher at some point today.  I was not planning on that at all.  I still have to hit the liquor store because this mama needs her wine!!  I am not looking forward to that stop because it will be a mad house. 

What is everyone's plans for the holiday weekend?  I am working til noon today and then will run the few errands above before I grab the boys from my mom.  I am still on the hunt for piggy banks that can't be opened unless you smash them.  I might hit up a store in search of them too.  I am heading to the gym as soon as the Kids Club opens at 4.  I told John on Sunday that I WILL go to the gym Monday through Friday this week.  I can't go tomorrow because he works and Kids Club is closed.  Tomorrow morning will be spent cleaning and doing some cooking.  The afternoon will be spent bribing my kids to nap.  We will have dinner at my parent's house tomorrow night and then we play Santa after the boys are in bed.  Sunday around 10 we will go to John's brother's house for breakfast and then back home for the rest of the day.  We have both sides of our families at our house for dinner.  I made a promise to John last year that I will remain calm and not get stressed out.  It actually worked with the assistance of wine.  I plan on the same this year. 

2011-12-23 10:26 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Hey all, thanks for the support.  Ryan has been a bit quiet about the situation all day.  He said he had an idea that it might be time to quit, but he was really hoping it wouldn't be quite yet.  He had big dreams of doing an Ironman in the next couple years, and he loved doing his HIM this summer, so it's hard on him.  I told him I'd be more than happy to do the run leg on any tri he wants to do, and we're going to start looking into mountain biking for him, too.  He's still holding out hope that the doctor can do something else for him and running (we both go in for follow-ups on Wednesday), but I don't think that's the case.  

I've been doing ok, but trying to get the drugs out of my system.  I only took 2 pain pills today, though I might need one to fall asleep.  My exercises are painful, and when I have to bend my knee on my own, it makes me sick to my stomach.  I'm getting restless just sitting still here.  I'm not sure when I get to take my brace off permanently, but I cannot wait!  It's heavy and awkward.  I've been playing Words with Friends nonstop, it's the only thing that gets me through the day!  

Well, tomorrow we're heading to Chicago for Christmas Eve with my dad's side, then Christmas Day we'll head down to Springfield to be with my family.  Then next week we'll go to Michigan to be with his family.  Busy, as usual, but that's Christmas for us!

Merry Christmas to all!  I hope it's the best!  

2011-12-24 7:29 PM
in reply to: #3952153

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Merry Christmas everyone, hope your holiday is filled with the love and laughter of good friends and family. 
2011-12-25 10:45 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

My sympathies to you and Ryan, Erica.  But you both sound like tough determined people and I know you will find a way through all this. 

Merry Christmas to all!

2011-12-27 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and is having a wonderful holiday season overall!  Our week has been crazy so far.  Because neither of us could drive, my mother drove here from Springfield, IL to take care of us last Monday, then drove us to Chicago on Saturday to see my cousins, then drove us to Springfield on Sunday to spend time with her and my father, brother, and grandparents, then drove us back here today.  In hindsight, we should have just stayed here for the weekend because we were pretty much just a burden on everybody, especially in Springfield.  We weren't able to go out at all, so we just sat on the couch and talked with anybody who would come see us. 

On a bright note, Ryan is up and walking, and he can drive as of tomorrow, which is a good thing because our follow-up appointments are tomorrow at 11am.  I, on the other hand, am still in my ginomous leg brace and unable to do much of anything.  I've been doing my stretches religiously, but other than that, I'm pretty much useless. 

Tomorrow, we're headed to Michigan to see Ryan's family.  I don't really want to go, but I know I should, even though it'll just be more of me sitting on the couch, when we're usually so active when we go up there. 

And I am ALL KINDS of frustrated already.  So ready to be able to do things for myself.  I'm itching to workout.  Is this over yet?  The only thing I'm looking forward to right now is a SHOWER tomorrow since I'm finally getting my stitches taken out!  I haven't seen my scar yet, either.  After I shave my legs (gross), I'll take a picture of it to show you guys.  Because I feel like all should enjoy my battle scars.

How was everyone else's weekend?  Get anything good for Christmas?

2011-12-31 5:20 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
How is everyone doing?

Erica...how is recovery?

Any plans for NYE? Nothing special here. John is working tonight and again tomorrow morning. The boys and I invited ourselves to John's parents house for dinner.

Tim...Happy Birthday!!!
2012-01-01 1:00 AM
in reply to: #3963259

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Happy New Year everyone! Thanks for being a part of my 2011 and I look forward to having you all be a part of my 2012!

Tim...Happy Birthday!!

2012-01-01 7:59 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Happy 2012, all!  Sad to say, I did NOT make it to midnight (first time ever), so it's a sure sign I'm getting old.  Ryan and I stayed in, watched Harry Potter and Bridesmaids, drank sparkling grape juice (since I still have my bum knee, I thought it was best to stay away from alcohol for a while), and made pizza.  I really like going out with friends on NYE, but it just wasn't in the cards since I've got this brace on. 

What are everyone's New Year's resolutions?  I've decided to get off caffeine (including chocolate as much as possible), lose about 20 pounds (since I gained about 10 since not being able to work out almost all year), and get our bank account back up to where it was pre-Portland semester.  I also am determined to be playing soccer again next fall and running a half-marathon next October/November. 

What are the favorite gifts for everyone this Christmas?  My MIL got me a Bosu ball, which I'm pumped on since I know most of my PT will be on one.  Also, Ryan got me some filters for my camera which are a lot of fun to play with.  I bought Ryan a piece of Green Bay Packers' stock (yuck), which he loved, so he is now part-owner of the team.  My name is nowhere on it though.  So gross...

As for recovery, I start PT on Thursday!  I am VERY excited to have some plan of attack in place once I finish the first appointment.  I'm only allowed to work on range of motion until I'm out of the brace, then I can do strengthening.  I can walk on it pretty well, but when I'm up a lot, it gets really sore and stiff.  Sleeping is hard in the brace, too.  Not exactly sure when I get it off, but I need to be able to drive on the 17th since that's when I go back to school!  I will probably be cutting it close. 

Hope everyone is doing wonderfully so far in 2012! 

(leg.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
leg.jpg (31KB - 5 downloads)
2012-01-03 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

I am back from my hiatus.  Had a couple of weeks of no workouts and not watching what I ate.  I enjoyed it, but I've had enough.  Time to get back out there and really get focused for the new year.  I have a half marathon in 26 days! 

I haven't really set any specific goals for the year, other than the HIM.  I just want to get back to making smart, healthy choices when I eat and get the workouts back on track. 

One thing that should help is I am helping to start a weight loss challenge at work.  It will officially begin tomorrow.  We're all putting in some money and first one to lose 10% of their body weight wins.

Thanks for the bday wishes.  Hope everyone is doing well!

2012-01-03 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3967817

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

I also am now back on track after a couple of weeks of bad, but oh so good, food  I don't have any resolutions other than just getting back on track with diet and training.  I've been working on my HIM training plan, which starts up on January 14th and it terrifies me and excites me all at the same time! I've managed to solicit a couple of people to train with me, one of which is going to do it with me, one that can't do the same one as me, but will do a HIM a month later and another who is 50/50 in, but he's done a few HIM's already. 

Also, going snowshoeing for the first time on the 22nd with about 30 or so people from my run group.  Very excited to give that a try!

Erica, glad the physio is starting and can't wait for you to get that brace off, I can't imagine how cumbersome that thing is!

Tim, I fully expect you to win that contest at work!!  You can do Eeeeet!

2012-01-03 5:23 PM

User image

Expert

Hey guys - hope everyone had a great holiday and new years.  

Erica - Glad to see you are recovering but sorry to hear about Ryan's situation with no running.  I gues liek Sandra said there are other options but its still tough news.

I am getting back in the swing of things this week and trying to build my aerobic base again before my IM training starts February 13.  Day two of getting back and I am regretting making the IM commitment while having a newborn in the houseCry.  I was supposed to go to the pool at 5am but instead I was up from 3:45am to 5am with the baby. ugh...  I still got a good brick in after he went to sleep but this is gonna be BRUTAL.

Sounds like everyone has a big 2012 season lined up.  Tim- did you decide to do the HIM this year?

2012-01-04 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

So far I am still committed to it.  It's at the end of April so I will build for the half marathon at the end of this month then see where my fitness is.

I can't imagine doing a full IM with the kids and a newborn.  All my excuses sound pretty weak compared to that! 

The work weight loss challenge begins to today.  We had our official weigh in this morning.  We've got 6 of us signed up and trying to get a couple more (one who really needs it but is in denial b/c she claims it is a lot of muscle and "dense bones" - her words).  We are each putting in $20 and at the end of the month and the pot will go to the one with the highest % of weight loss.  Then we will each put in $20 again for Feb and do it all over again.  It should help keep people motivated rather than having the end be 3-4mo away with nothing in between.

2012-01-04 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3970321

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Dense bones and muscle...LOL.  I think the way you have set up the challenge is great, now go show them how it is done Tim!!
2012-01-04 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3970356

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

corstan - 2012-01-04 9:45 AM Dense bones and muscle...LOL.  I think the way you have set up the challenge is great, now go show them how it is done Tim!!

I know, poor girl.  She is 23 and just a really pretty, nice girl that really could stand to lose a good 40lbs.  I think she knows she is weak with food control and doesn't want to commit.  She is always the one snacking all day on food brought in by people.  We all think she needs to join but not sure how to get her to see the light.  Hopefully just seeing us do it will be motivation.

And I plan on winning some serious cash! 

Maybe it would be nice if I brought in a veggie tray to help people snack better.

Edited by chichitao 2012-01-04 10:12 AM
2012-01-04 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Sandra - super cool that you have a group to train with!  Are you creating your own plan?  How?  And you'll LOVE snowshoeing!!!  It's honestly one of my favorite things to do.  Such a good workout, so peaceful, and so pretty.  Where are you going?  We went at Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado a few years ago, and it was the best.

T2 - I love the pictures of the baby!  He's precious!  You are so brave doing this training with a newborn.  Keep focused!

T1 - I like that idea for the challenge!  I wish I had a job that I could do that with. 

Ryan and I cleaned out all the junk food from out apartment, which will make the losing weight easier, BUT when my mom was here taking care of us, she cooked enough food to fill our freezer.  I can't bring myself to throw it out, so I'm keeping it so I don't have to cook dinner until I get this brace off. 

I start PT tomorrow, and I CAN'T wait.  My knee has been extremely sore and stiff the last couple days, my sleeping has been worse than normal, I have an awful rash from the brace, and I'm going stir crazy.  I'll do anything to get out of this brace sooner! 

2012-01-04 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3970445

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2012-01-04 10:10 AM

corstan - 2012-01-04 9:45 AM Dense bones and muscle...LOL.  I think the way you have set up the challenge is great, now go show them how it is done Tim!!

I know, poor girl.  She is 23 and just a really pretty, nice girl that really could stand to lose a good 40lbs.  I think she knows she is weak with food control and doesn't want to commit.  She is always the one snacking all day on food brought in by people.  We all think she needs to join but not sure how to get her to see the light.  Hopefully just seeing us do it will be motivation.

And I plan on winning some serious cash! 

Maybe it would be nice if I brought in a veggie tray to help people snack better.

Or you can sabotage them all and bring in junk food for them!

2012-01-04 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Well, Happy New Year, everyone! I'm back!!!

I know, I haven't been around much, but as you all know, the holidays are a busy time for everyone. I am back in Montreal now, and the job hunt begins, mostly with trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up! But I like that I have a lot of time to train, work out, eat right, and really get focused. I have decided that the marathon isn't the best thing for me to do right now. I put on way too much weight in the past 3 months or so, so I am going to take at least the first 3 months, probably a little longer, to focus on weight loss before getting into HIM training. I'd rather be at a healthy weight and do the race a little under trained than risk the injuries that may come lugging around too much extra weight on my long workout days! Now I just have to figure out what I want to do to drop the pounds! Luckily, I have people (you guys included) coming at me from all angles. My gf and I are committed to eating well (last night, we made delicious, fresh spring rolls), and my friend who is in school for personal training and I are in contact daily to keep each other on a solid workout plan. I probably won't be doing much running in the early year this year, but I'll be doing some swimming and biking, just to keep up with those.

Also, I have decided to start up a blog, just to get an internet presence for myself, at the suggestion of my cousin who works in social media stuffs. I will let you guys know what I decide to do about that. It'll probably be mostly about tri training, since I really want to coach one day, but with some other general weight loss and nutition posts in there, since I won't be starting my tri training immediately. Like i said, I'll let you guys know!

T1, that wounds like a great way to set up the weight loss challenge! At least there won't be any sort of "Well, I've already lost my money, so why bother trying" mentality from month to month!

T2, I know you'll be able to do the training with the newborn! We're here to keep you on track! Good job getting that brick in!

Erika, hopefully the PT goes well for you, and here's hoping for a quick and full recovery!

2012-01-04 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3970487

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

I'm going to Cypress Mountain for the snowshoeing adventure, they have a free trail their that you can take dogs on too, so a few people will be bringing their dogs along for the adventure too(including me)

As for the HIM Training plan, I am heavily modifying a 20 week plan from BT to fit my life, but keep the purpose of specific workouts in place.  I've got 11 weeks of it up on my website(unpublished link) http://crewrunners.com/training/oliver-half-IM.html .  The training starts on January 14th...freaking out a little now...

T1, how nice of you to want to support your co-worker despite the fact she doesn't want to help herself. 

Meggan...you are evil, but I like the way you think! 

SoccerGK - 2012-01-04 8:22 AM

Sandra - super cool that you have a group to train with!  Are you creating your own plan?  How?  And you'll LOVE snowshoeing!!!  It's honestly one of my favorite things to do.  Such a good workout, so peaceful, and so pretty.  Where are you going?  We went at Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado a few years ago, and it was the best.

2012-01-04 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3970842

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Yeah, the HIM training is a little scary.  Mine officially begins today after work!  Going to spend Jan doing runs and bikes then after the HM I will begin the swimming.  Swimming 2x a week will be good for me, it's the HM at the end that has me worried.  But hopefully I can build up this month and then maintain that distance running for 3 more months and hope the knee doesn't become an issue.

Yes, the sabotage plan has already been hatched out by everyone in the group.  Several of them (jokingly, kinda) put lots of change and weights in their pockets when they weighed in.  I am going to have to keep an eye or two on these people!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103