BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-08-03 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3021848

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
kenj - 2010-08-03 6:27 PM

PennState - 2010-08-03 6:16 AM

We should reform the group next year for an IMAZ 2011 mentor group

Do I have to sign up for IMAZ to participate?  Today is our 14th anniversery and I would like to see 15!  Since I promised my wife no destination races in 2011 so we can actually use vacation time to go on vacation (I know, novel concept!) I have decided to find a local fall marathon!! 

I am surely enjoying and learning from this group!!

Ken, Congrats on 14 years.  I am in the same boat, unless I win the Kona lottery or something strange happens, no IM for me next year  Well, at least not yet  I might be looking at a couple 70.3 races to fill next years schedule, probably Racine again and maybe another.  I still need to get through this IM before making any plans for next year.

2010-08-03 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2769226

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Good training day for me, got in an hour swim followed by a 90 mile bike ride.  Really warm today, 87-88 degrees with a heat index of 98.  Good test for me with regard to nutrition, felt good no GI problems, wish I would have taken a few additional endurolytes but all in all a good training day.  Can't wait for IMOO, getting into my last build cycle.

Thinking about a 2 week taper, wondering how all the IMLP folks taper worked for them, but length and intensity wise the last 2-3 weeks prior to your event.  For me a 3 week taper might be a bit to long, but I want to ensure I am well rested and ready to go, again thinking 2 weeks should do it with maybe a few extra days added on.

I am heading out to WA on vacation tomorrow, will check in from time to time.  Hope everyone has a great week of training.
2010-08-04 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3022020

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-08-04 8:16 AM

2010-08-04 9:30 AM

Master
Dunedin
*if* I could afford it and *if* I really enjoyed the training process then I don't see why two races 4+ months apart would be aweful, but like Fred said-be careful of injuries.  I might be interesting to see how you have to adjust your training for the 2nd one... you'll have the base, but the fatigue from the fist race would kill your training for a few weeks, but I doubt you'd lose fitness... you'd probably just have to REALLY ease back into training.
2010-08-04 12:51 PM

Master
Redlands, CA
I lost one of my earplugs and got a ear infection; seems if I don't wear earplugs my inner ear swells up and feels like someone is hitting it with a bat.  Is this common?

2010-08-04 1:33 PM

Expert
Thanks for your thoughts guys on 2 in 1 year
2010-08-04 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3023250

Expert
furiousferret - 2010-08-04 1:51 PM I lost one of my earplugs and got a ear infection; seems if I don't wear earplugs my inner ear swells up and feels like someone is hitting it with a bat.  Is this common?

hmm..this is just from swimming in a pool??
2010-08-04 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3023391

2010-08-04 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3023250

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
furiousferret - 2010-08-04 10:51 AM I lost one of my earplugs and got a ear infection; seems if I don't wear earplugs my inner ear swells up and feels like someone is hitting it with a bat.  Is this common?

Ouch! Hasn't happened to me but I hope you feel better soon.
2010-08-04 2:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
So I'm finally back on the bandwagon with my training after Vineman. I was a lazy slug the past two weeks and managed to gain about 5 pounds which I am NOT happy about. I decided to do Hal Higdon's 18 week novice marathon plan which started yesterday with a quick 3 mile run. So happy to be back on track with a new goal. It's amazing how much more stable and calm my life feels when I have consistent training on the calendar.

I'm also going to sign up for the Santa Cruz Oly in Sept. Will be a fun, no stress race but I expect to PR given my recent high volume coupled with the fact that my only other Oly was Wildflower. Should be a fun fall/winter!

2010-08-04 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3023393

Master
Redlands, CA
dharris13 - 2010-08-04 11:34 AM
furiousferret - 2010-08-04 1:51 PM I lost one of my earplugs and got a ear infection; seems if I don't wear earplugs my inner ear swells up and feels like someone is hitting it with a bat.  Is this common?

hmm..this is just from swimming in a pool??

Yes. 
2010-08-04 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3023431

Expert
PennState - 2010-08-04 2:42 PM
dharris13 - 2010-08-04 2:33 PM Thanks for your thoughts guys on 2 in 1 year

You had a very fast time at LP for your first IM. What's your goal in the next one?

If the goal is just the experience and to finish, then doing 2 may not be so bad.

If the goal is to get a bit faster, then *I* would only do 1 a year max.

Thanks Fred
Given my training volume (run in particular..or rather...lack of running)..i couldnt have been happier with my result.
I think my goal would be to finish and take in the experience...get to be surrounded by 3,000 ironman hopefulls...have a town shut down and thousands of people watching. It was an amazing experience!

But then again...i dont race NOT to get faster..it is a race of course...
2010-08-04 4:16 PM
in reply to: #3023510

Expert
calimavs - 2010-08-04 3:05 PM So I'm finally back on the bandwagon with my training after Vineman. I was a lazy slug the past two weeks and managed to gain about 5 pounds which I am NOT happy about. I decided to do Hal Higdon's 18 week novice marathon plan which started yesterday with a quick 3 mile run. So happy to be back on track with a new goal. It's amazing how much more stable and calm my life feels when I have consistent training on the calendar.

I'm also going to sign up for the Santa Cruz Oly in Sept. Will be a fun, no stress race but I expect to PR given my recent high volume coupled with the fact that my only other Oly was Wildflower. Should be a fun fall/winter!

Well glad ur back to the training! I hope you enjoyed the time off! You sure deserved it!! Which Oly are you thinking about?? You should come down here and do the Pacific Grove Triathlon Its mid september
2010-08-04 7:00 PM

Expert
Thornton, CO
Sorry I've been away... got a new job and just started this week.  Previously I was filled with interviews and stuff, even flew out to Jersey and helped my mom drive out (parents are moving out to CO from NJ).  I'm glad to be working again so I can have a more defined schedule, have too much free time is apparently not good for me when it comes to training.  I've also been kind of sick the last two weeks so my training dropped off quite a bit to try to recover.  Bad timing with Boulder 70.3 this Sunday and I'm still hecking up some flem if I try to run faster than 8min/mile pace.  I'll likely back off my goal pace to 8:30 for the race though considering I don't feel great.  But the good news is that if I can do 8:30 pace I'll have dropped 2min/mile off my pace that I did during my HIM last year.  Should still beat my HIM PR by nearly 30 minutes (it's a default PR since I've only done one).

As for 2 IMs in one year, although I've yet to do an IM, I'd think it would be doable, but you'd have to choose one that you're going to 'really' train for.  Not that you wouldn't train for the other, but I'd approach them slightly differently.  First, I'd make the second one my highest priority and the first one would be a benchmark race I'd take slightly easier than I thought I could handle.  I'd then use that race as my benchmark for how hard to train and what I should focus on over the following months.  Theoretically I would go into the first one in prime IM conditioning, take it "easy" during it (maybe 20-30minutes slower than I think I'll be able to accomplish in the second one).  Then build on top of that conditioning to really go hard at the second.  But, with where I live, I think being in IM condition for a July IM is difficult since training would have to start at the latest by April and during that time we are still prone to some snow storms and pretty unpredictable weather patterns.  I think it is definitely doable for someone who did an IM the previous year and that IM was built on top of a solid base of HIMs prior to that year.  But if you feel you were severely undertrained in the previous years IM, then I'd personally look towards doing 1 or 2 HIMs and 1 IM the following year and make the 2 IMs in a year a goal for the following year.  Plus, 2 IMs costs a lot  just my 2cents on the subject. 
2010-08-04 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3024035

Master
Redlands, CA
zionvier - 2010-08-04 5:00 PM Sorry I've been away... got a new job and just started this week.  Previously I was filled with interviews and stuff, even flew out to Jersey and helped my mom drive out (parents are moving out to CO from NJ).  I'm glad to be working again so I can have a more defined schedule, have too much free time is apparently not good for me when it comes to training.  I've also been kind of sick the last two weeks so my training dropped off quite a bit to try to recover.  Bad timing with Boulder 70.3 this Sunday and I'm still hecking up some flem if I try to run faster than 8min/mile pace.  I'll likely back off my goal pace to 8:30 for the race though considering I don't feel great.  But the good news is that if I can do 8:30 pace I'll have dropped 2min/mile off my pace that I did during my HIM last year.  Should still beat my HIM PR by nearly 30 minutes (it's a default PR since I've only done one).

As for 2 IMs in one year, although I've yet to do an IM, I'd think it would be doable, but you'd have to choose one that you're going to 'really' train for.  Not that you wouldn't train for the other, but I'd approach them slightly differently.  First, I'd make the second one my highest priority and the first one would be a benchmark race I'd take slightly easier than I thought I could handle.  I'd then use that race as my benchmark for how hard to train and what I should focus on over the following months.  Theoretically I would go into the first one in prime IM conditioning, take it "easy" during it (maybe 20-30minutes slower than I think I'll be able to accomplish in the second one).  Then build on top of that conditioning to really go hard at the second.  But, with where I live, I think being in IM condition for a July IM is difficult since training would have to start at the latest by April and during that time we are still prone to some snow storms and pretty unpredictable weather patterns.  I think it is definitely doable for someone who did an IM the previous year and that IM was built on top of a solid base of HIMs prior to that year.  But if you feel you were severely undertrained in the previous years IM, then I'd personally look towards doing 1 or 2 HIMs and 1 IM the following year and make the 2 IMs in a year a goal for the following year.  Plus, 2 IMs costs a lot  just my 2cents on the subject. 

Grats on the job, you have years to race, financial security always comes first.

2010-08-05 11:22 AM

2010-08-05 11:38 AM

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
So my second day of marathon training was yesterday and I'm already running into some challenges, and am hoping everyone might have some advice for me.

In the past when training for my half marathon I used Hal Higdon's novice plan which only had me running 3x a week. This way I was able to spread my runs out and not do any back to back. The plan ended up working great which lead me to decide to use his novice marathon plan for my December marathon. This plan has me running 4x a week which means I have to run on back to back days once a week (Tues/Wed). I did my Wed run yesterday and it was AWFUL. About a minute/mile slower than normal on this route and it felt really hard. Aside from being patient and taking it easy on my Wednesday runs, is there anything else I can do to get my body use to running on back to back days?
2010-08-05 2:09 PM
in reply to: #3025360

Master
Redlands, CA
I don't think so, and you'll get better with time.  I think its pretty standard that you will have to run consecutive days to get the miles in for a marathon, don't concern yourself with times.

I tend to not notice a performance drop until my 4th day, but I also rarely run at a fast clip.
2010-08-05 5:28 PM

2010-08-05 5:58 PM
in reply to: #3026243

Master
Redlands, CA
PennState - 2010-08-05 3:28 PM Interesting thread in the tri talk forum Chris

Sometimes the board gets stale, and I'll post something there just to get a conversation going.  I knew some would read it out of context, others disagree, but at least its interesting

We have a guy here who lost 66 pounds and came 20 minutes shy of Kona, which I'm sure positive thinking came into play.  I personally think there a huge mental aspect to the sport as well.

In the Marines we used to have formation runs, some would go for 10 miles, which we'd have to sing and keep in step at roughly an 11 minute pace.  Almost every person that drops out of the group will tell you they fell out when the mind convinced them they weren't capable of keeping up.  Some of these were fast dudes that should have been able to keep up.

BTW, Josh's race report is up! 

2010-08-05 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3026288

Master
Millersville, MD
furiousferret - 2010-08-05 6:58 PM

Sometimes the board gets stale, and I'll post something there just to get a conversation going.  I knew some would read it out of context, others disagree, but at least its interesting

We have a guy here who lost 66 pounds and came 20 minutes shy of Kona, which I'm sure positive thinking came into play.  I personally think there a huge mental aspect to the sport as well.

In the Marines we used to have formation runs, some would go for 10 miles, which we'd have to sing and keep in step at roughly an 11 minute pace.  Almost every person that drops out of the group will tell you they fell out when the mind convinced them they weren't capable of keeping up.  Some of these were fast dudes that should have been able to keep up.

Hey, I know "that guy" -- race report here.

I haven't read the thread on the forums, but it would be hard for me to overestimate just how important the mental aspect of my IM prep was.  Once the cannon went off, it was all execution - no thinking allowed.  But I was able to do that based on months of strategic and positive thinking.  I don't do ipods or other distractions on my workouts... I spend almost every single workout envisioning the race, mentally rehearsing.  Even though it was my debut IM, I felt like I had done hundreds of others.  I really BELIEVED I was going to be in the low 10's even though a lot of veterans who watched my training predicted otherwise.  Anyway - I haven't read the thread but I'm guessing I agree with you that positive thinking is key.  My emphasis would be that the positive thinking has to take place all through your training... it will make your training better, increase your motivation, etc.  But if you start your positive thinking on race day but are unprepared, reality will chill that optimism real quick. 

When I say no thinking during the race, that really means I had already decided what kind of thinking I would do if it was necessary.  I had mentally rehearsed, in a positive way, how I would respond to things if they didn't go my way.  I was ready for all sorts of trouble I never encountered (mechanical, draft pack, bonking, GI troubles, etc).  When my cramps came late in the run, they didn't discourage me at all... they just hurt!  But it's an ironman... it's supposed to hurt.  So I dealt with it and carried on.  There was positive self talk going on, but it had been pre-programmed into me for months leading up to that whenever I had gotten into an ugly place on a particularly long/difficult workout.

PS - I will have lost 70.3 pounds by the time Savageman rolls around
2010-08-05 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3026312

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
JoshKaptur - 2010-08-05 5:35 PM
furiousferret - 2010-08-05 6:58 PM

Hey, I know "that guy" -- race report here.

I haven't read the thread on the forums, but it would be hard for me to overestimate just how important the mental aspect of my IM prep was.  Once the cannon went off, it was all execution - no thinking allowed.  But I was able to do that based on months of strategic and positive thinking.  I don't do ipods or other distractions on my workouts... I spend almost every single workout envisioning the race, mentally rehearsing.  Even though it was my debut IM, I felt like I had done hundreds of others.  I really BELIEVED I was going to be in the low 10's even though a lot of veterans who watched my training predicted otherwise.  Anyway - I haven't read the thread but I'm guessing I agree with you that positive thinking is key.  My emphasis would be that the positive thinking has to take place all through your training... it will make your training better, increase your motivation, etc.  But if you start your positive thinking on race day but are unprepared, reality will chill that optimism real quick. 

When I say no thinking during the race, that really means I had already decided what kind of thinking I would do if it was necessary.  I had mentally rehearsed, in a positive way, how I would respond to things if they didn't go my way.  I was ready for all sorts of trouble I never encountered (mechanical, draft pack, bonking, GI troubles, etc).  When my cramps came late in the run, they didn't discourage me at all... they just hurt!  But it's an ironman... it's supposed to hurt.  So I dealt with it and carried on.  There was positive self talk going on, but it had been pre-programmed into me for months leading up to that whenever I had gotten into an ugly place on a particularly long/difficult workout.

PS - I will have lost 70.3 pounds by the time Savageman rolls around

Congrats on the weight loss. That is quite an accomplishment. It certainly takes positive thinking to do that!
2010-08-05 6:42 PM

Master
Millersville, MD
Re: 2 IM's in a year.

I'm reluctantly not doing a second.  Part of me feels like I have a lot of fitness and it's a shame to "waste" it on one race.  In my mind, I REALLY want to switch to IM maintenance training (no more builds, just consistent volume at the level I was doing in prep for IMLP) and then race Beach2Battleship in November.

But I experienced a lot of success this year by having VERY conservative training.  I built up slowly and didn't go hard when I wanted to.  And I'm basically deciding that what works on the micro-level (run training) really should apply on the macro-level too... ie I shouldn't push my luck and should be happy with one IM this year.
2010-08-05 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3025299

Expert
Thornton, CO
PennState - 2010-08-05 10:22 AM Hey Pete, good news on the job!

Are you still racing IMAZ this year?

yes, still doing IMAZ.  Still haven't decided if I'll do it next year though, I hate that I have to sign up the day before I do it.  Without having done one I don't know if I'll finish and think: "That sucked, I think I'll stick with HIMs instead".  But I am starting to plan my 2011 season a little, thinking of tackling a couple ultras, definitely the 24 Hours of Utah again and maybe also the Bighorn 100 in Wyoming.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121