BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2013-01-11 6:52 PM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

3rd House on the Left
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed for Training

Hi all-  I'm a little late getting over here to post my background thanks to that nasty flu bug.  Anyway, I was on the track and cross country teams, so I did more than my fair share of running.  After high school I spent more time undoing all the good I had done for my body running.  Fast forward several years and after quitting smoking I spent a great deal of time in the gym trying to get away from my overly skinny runners frame.  From my late 30's on I have taken a great deal of pride in staying fit (I want to be around a long time for my wife and sons) and have stayed active in a number of sports including soccer, softball and golf.

I competed in and completed my first triathlon in October of last year.  My 70 year old father decided it was something he wanted to do and I suggested that I would train with him (mostly to make sure he didn't kill himself).  What I discovered quickly was that I LOVED the training. Going into it, my primary concern was the swim and I focused hard on it despite not having a true training plan.   Just about the time I felt comfortable enough to say I would sign up, my father had a biking accident and wound up with 25 stitches in his knee.  Rather than sign up, we transferred his registration to me.  I got next to no sleep the night before the race due to nerves but was ready to go race morning.  Dad was with me to help me get my transition set up and cheer me on.  Overall I was thrilled with how the race went.  Obviously in retrospect there are things I want to change (T1 for starters!) and things I want to learn so I can avoid pitfalls the next time.  Burt the bottom line is that I'm hooked!  I am registered for 2 sprint tri's right now, Escape from Ft. Delaware Sprint in May and then on Fathers Day I will be racing in the Dragonfly Sprint tri with my father AND my 10 year old son.  I also plan to run in the Marine Corp 17.75k race in March to qualify for the Marine Corp Marathon and I plan to register for the first inaugural Quantico Sprint Tri when registration opens in May.  If all goes well I will compete in the Diamondman Sprint 2 days before my 44th birthday.  Did I also forget to mention that I am rehabbing from knee surgery in December?  

Anyway, I'm excited to be here and can't wait to pick Gary's (and everyone else's) brain on triathlon and how to juggle that with family stuff.

Pat 

2013-01-11 7:52 PM

User image

Completed my first bike workout on rollers(30 minutes). Just a few wobbly issues and one wipeout. The biking effort wasn't nearly as hard as the mental part. Had to really concentrate not to wipeout. Does it get any easier? Is ther any tricks to riding rollers relaxed? Tks
2013-01-11 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4574609

User image

Master
St. Louis
Patman99 - 2013-01-11 6:52 PM

Hi all-  I'm a little late getting over here to post my background thanks to that nasty flu bug.  Anyway, I was on the track and cross country teams, so I did more than my fair share of running.  After high school I spent more time undoing all the good I had done for my body running.  Fast forward several years and after quitting smoking I spent a great deal of time in the gym trying to get away from my overly skinny runners frame.  From my late 30's on I have taken a great deal of pride in staying fit (I want to be around a long time for my wife and sons) and have stayed active in a number of sports including soccer, softball and golf.

I competed in and completed my first triathlon in October of last year.  My 70 year old father decided it was something he wanted to do and I suggested that I would train with him (mostly to make sure he didn't kill himself).  What I discovered quickly was that I LOVED the training. Going into it, my primary concern was the swim and I focused hard on it despite not having a true training plan.   Just about the time I felt comfortable enough to say I would sign up, my father had a biking accident and wound up with 25 stitches in his knee.  Rather than sign up, we transferred his registration to me.  I got next to no sleep the night before the race due to nerves but was ready to go race morning.  Dad was with me to help me get my transition set up and cheer me on.  Overall I was thrilled with how the race went.  Obviously in retrospect there are things I want to change (T1 for starters!) and things I want to learn so I can avoid pitfalls the next time.  Burt the bottom line is that I'm hooked!  I am registered for 2 sprint tri's right now, Escape from Ft. Delaware Sprint in May and then on Fathers Day I will be racing in the Dragonfly Sprint tri with my father AND my 10 year old son.  I also plan to run in the Marine Corp 17.75k race in March to qualify for the Marine Corp Marathon and I plan to register for the first inaugural Quantico Sprint Tri when registration opens in May.  If all goes well I will compete in the Diamondman Sprint 2 days before my 44th birthday.  Did I also forget to mention that I am rehabbing from knee surgery in December?  

Anyway, I'm excited to be here and can't wait to pick Gary's (and everyone else's) brain on triathlon and how to juggle that with family stuff.

Pat 

Very cool you will be racing with your father and son! Also cool you are hooked on tris.
2013-01-12 12:12 PM

User image

Regular
NW Houston

Just finished a 3.90/mile ride.  According to my training program, I was to finish in 15 minutes  (I did it in 17). I'm using a custom BT training program and it seems to put things in perspective for me based on my skills and experience nicely.  Anyone else using this to program their training?  If not, what are you using?  I'm using it b/c this is my 1st tri and I am trying to not get too fancy (HR training, etc.) b/c that is WAY too much work for me and then I begin to NOT have fun.

Also, is anyone using the training logs here?

2013-01-12 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4573211

User image

Regular
NW Houston

Brett's - 2013-01-10 9:31 PM Minor wreck on the bike today about 3/4 of a mile into my ride but still managed to get 3 miles on the bike and another 2-1/2 mile run in before my hour was up on my lunch. Roads were a little slippery from the misting rain we had all morning.

So how do you get all of that in on a lunch hour, eat and shower?  I think that's great that you continue after a "minor wreck" (you'll have to define that for this newbie).

2013-01-12 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4575124

User image

Statesville , North Carolina
Fortunately I work in a warehouse so I sweat when I work anyway. So a shower is not necessary and I do have work on my computer so I typically just eat while u do my work at the desk. But I do take a towel and I keep deodorant in my bag and just "freshen up" before my break is over. Plus it helps that I am salary so if I go over just a couple of mins no big deal. I just take my bike on Monday and bring it home on Friday. My minor wreck was I went over the handle bars when my front tire went into a small hole in the road. I slid some but had very little road rash. But did bruise my left hand pretty bad. Swelling was gone the next morning and most of the soreness as well.

2013-01-12 4:26 PM

User image

If anyone else is like me we all have those days when we lose sight of our goals and don't want to go on a run because the day was too long or don't want to get up and bike because the weekends are to short. I found this video on You Tube a couple of weeks ago and on training days when I don't "feel" like going and start making excuses I watch it. It helps keep me focused on the prize. One day I will finish a full Ironman. I am saying that with certanty and I haven't even completed my first tri yet. For that fact my first race period. I just know what I want and how hard I have to work to get it. This video just gives me ghat little boost to get up, get moving, or just stay focused. I can't get the hyperlink to work on my phone so just search "Spirit of The Titans- Ironman Motivation" on You Tube. I hope you all take as much from it as me. Train hard, stay focused and enjoy victory! You've earned it.
2013-01-12 9:59 PM

User image

Newbie question here. Did I hurt myself when I got a 21 speed bike? It seems that most of the bikes I see for road and triathlons are 10 speeds. Is there an advantage to that or is it just preference?
2013-01-12 10:12 PM
in reply to: #4575659

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Brett's - 2013-01-12 9:59 PM Newbie question here. Did I hurt myself when I got a 21 speed bike? It seems that most of the bikes I see for road and triathlons are 10 speeds. Is there an advantage to that or is it just preference?

No, a bike is a bike.  First, translate 21 speed for me? (A triple in the front and 7 speed cassette in the back?)

My bike technically has 20 "speeds" with a 10 speed cassette in the back and 53/39 in the front.  That said, there are levels of equipment and as you go along you can upgrade.  But you will hear a lot about "its all about the engine".  Put Lance on a mtn bike and he could ride circles around most on expensive tri bikes.  Put me on a $15k super bike and I still wouldn't win the bike portion a tri.  Train hard with what you got, learn more about bikes (types, specs, aero, etc), and when you feel you are ready (and have the cash) upgrade.

2013-01-12 10:18 PM
in reply to: #4575110

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
sspicer - 2013-01-12 12:12 PM

Just finished a 3.90/mile ride.  According to my training program, I was to finish in 15 minutes  (I did it in 17). I'm using a custom BT training program and it seems to put things in perspective for me based on my skills and experience nicely.  Anyone else using this to program their training?  If not, what are you using?  I'm using it b/c this is my 1st tri and I am trying to not get too fancy (HR training, etc.) b/c that is WAY too much work for me and then I begin to NOT have fun.

Also, is anyone using the training logs here?

I have the gold plan and use the custom plan builder.  Worked well but these days I am taking the plan it generates and customizing it some.  Good idea on not getting too wrapped up in the numbers.  Follow the plan, try to understand what each workout is about, and be as consistant in your training as possible.

2013-01-12 10:59 PM
in reply to: #4575667

User image

Yes it is a triple in the front and 7 gear cassette in the rear. I would love to get rid if the shifters that I have on it now. I really don't like the front in particular. It is a friction style and there isn't a click for a gear change. You just have to keep twisting until is is in the desired gear. I am not a big fan of the grip shifters anyways. But like you said train hard with what ya got. Thanks Gary.

2013-01-13 1:00 AM
in reply to: #4571439

User image

Expert
Hammond
GaryRM - 2013-01-10 7:49 AM

Shelly - Glad to see you back!  Hope things are better for you.

FYI, an online store called the Tri shop is having a sale on Huub wetsuits - $99 for short sleeve and $149 for long. Plus free shipping.  I don't know much about the Huub wetsuits but a good deal along with the usual Xterra wetsuit sales.

Thanks Gary.
I ended up getting a wetsuit this past June from all 3 sports. It's an Aqua Sphere full sleeve that I got for an awesome price. Haven't been able to use it yet but at least I have it.

Shelly
2013-01-13 7:24 AM
in reply to: #4574202

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Kartracerguy - 2013-01-11 2:56 PM

So here are a few questions about preferences and rules:

Q1: When entering T1 do you put your number/belt on for the bike ride and turn it backwards or can you just use your body numbers?

Q2: Does your bike have a number that will be placed on it? 

Q3: What number belt do you prefer?

Thanks - Dave

Dave, with my pre-race setup I'll pin the run number to the front of a jersey and when I slip on the jersey during T1 I'm set for both run and bike.   For the bike, your packet should contain a sticky-back number card which folds over the top tube.  You peel the cover off the sticky surfaces, fold the number card over the top tube and press it together at the bottom  which secures it to the top tube.  You need to make sure to keep the brake cable clear when you stick it together down towards the bottom.  I noticed a racer last year who was so concerned that her number might come off, that she'd gotten the brake cable in between the stuck together sides ... not good to ride with your brakes scrubbing most of the time or NO rear brake

2013-01-13 2:53 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey all!
Works is keeping me busy along with the Louisiana Skeeter Run stuff and my own training.  Spent a good part of yesterday in Woodworth, LA (northern mid Louisiana).  I was amazed at the devastation from the amount of rain.  Cars and businesses underwater.  Not good.  My own training is going good for running, okay for biking and not good for swimming.  Hoping to kickstart the swimming this week.  Getting lots of short rides in with intervals but not a lot of distance.

Take care all!

2013-01-13 4:16 PM

User image

Thanks Dorm 57. This is a new venture for me and I have not been to one to see it run in person. I am very excited to do this Sprint in May. My mind is running in 20 different directions thinking about how thing will work so I don't get caught off guard. 

2013-01-13 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4573290

User image

Expert
Hammond
kmfioc - 2013-01-10 11:21 PM

Fitmomma, Look at me Um posting in paragraphs from my ipad!! Thanks for the help!

Exciting stuff, huh! ;-) Glad I could help. I thought I won the lottery when I finally figured it out- lol.

Shelly

2013-01-13 7:45 PM
in reply to: #4562984

User image

Expert
Hammond
Kartracerguy - 2013-01-04 9:10 PM

Hi Gary,

NAME - kartracerguy - David Guy

STORY

I am 50 year old male and live in Saltillo, Ms. A small town in Northeast Mississippi. I am 5'10" and 170+/-. I started a better diet and exercise program last April and lost about 35 pounds. I started walking 2 miles a day and then 2 miles twice a day. My goal was to run a 5K in my daughters honor at the Down Syndrome Buddy Run/Walk. I ended the year with 4 races with fairly respectable times. I have always like bikes so I thought my next step was to try a Sprint Triathlon.  I like the short distance since I can already do a 5K. I grew up on at the Tennessee River so swimming in deep open water is not an issue so all three things are coming together in my mind. I have just joined my company wellness center since they have a pool, weights, bikes, and treadmills. I am working on getting the paid membership setup so that I can create and post my training plans and progress. 

FAMILY 

Married 26 years with two sons (23yo and 14yo) as well as a daughter that is 18yo. 

CURRENT TRAINING

Generally walking 2 miles each day, somethings running an additional 2 miles in the afternoons. I run more when I get closer to a scheduled race. I am starting a 16 week weight, running, biking, and swimming program for my first Sprint Triathlon.

RACES for 2013

I have already entered the Memphis in May Sprint Triathlon and plan to do a Sprint in Nashville sometime in September.

I would like to use these as springboards to doing a Olympic distance afterwards.

WEIGHT

Currently 170 +/- but I would like to be 165 or wherever my body wants to stabilize at.

Hi David,
Just wanted to say welcome to the group. I am one of the old/original members of the group. Memphis in May is on my list of races for this year if I get my buns back in the pool soon. I am in another group as well as this one and a few of us from the other group are all trying to meet there. I'll let you know if we pull it off- you would be more than welcome to meet up with us. We could have one big BT meet up.
I too had a daughter with Down Syndrome. She's my angel in heaven and what I wouldn't give to have her here. That's awesome that you did races in honor of your daughter.

Shelly
2013-01-13 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4558958

User image

Expert
Hammond
kfree1966 - 2013-01-02 8:02 PM

NAME

kfree1966 - Kevin

STORY

I am 46 and come from a running background. Played various sports all through my youth. Stopped through college. Dabbled for a bunch of years and finally got serious at 40. Complete 3 NY Marathon with a PR of 3:48. Do well on the Half Marathons (PR 1:37), just can't get it to convert. A die hard runner but realized I have to let running go a bit and embrace the multi-sport. It is hard to do but this year going to commit to it. Last year I did two Tri's in the spring. They were interesting but I was not committed like this year. Training in the winter is tough as this is family time. Family time is skiing in Vermont. 

FAMILY 

Married 20 years with 10 and 7 year old girls. 

CURRENT TRAINING

Running 3 times a week (18-20 miles). On the bike (indoor rollers) 2 days a week. Lifting once or twice a week. Ski Saturday and Sunday. Every so often blow off Sunday ski for cross country skiing. Once Skiing done, will go to a 4 Run, 3 Bike and 3 Swim week.

RACES for 2013

Committed to two Tri's planned. Jerseyman Sprint in May and Quassy Olympic in June.Possible Syracuse 70.3 in late June

Have to run 9 NYRR Races for NYC 2014 Qualification. This will be the last of the 5 NY's I want to complete. Will be using the races as speed work 

WEIGHTLOSS

Currently 161. If I can get to 155 great. 

Hi Kevin,
Just wanted to say welcome to the group. I'm soo jealous of your running times and being able to ski. I can't do either- lol. I may be able to manage skiing one day but never running that far or that fast- lol.
I too have a 10 yo daughter. She trains with dh and I some and totally can out run me. Running is my weakest of the three sports as you've probably already figured out.

Glad you joined the group. I think you'll inspire me to run more even though I really can't run- hehe.
Shelly
2013-01-13 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4536135

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Open for Training
rnp70 - 2012-12-14 10:41 PM

GaryRM - 2012-12-14 7:51 PMFYI, we are back open for new members!
Them count me in. Name: rnp70, NealStory: Finishinf up graduate school in Mississippi. I was doing triathlons for two years before taking some time off. My plan is to focus on shorter distance races and try to build some speed.Family status: A wife and no kids (unless my dog counts). Races: Crawfishman and Heatwave Classic. Debating Buffalo Springs Lake Triathlon.Pumped to be involved. Thanks.

Hi Neal,
Welcome to the group. Sorry I'm so late sending this. Just had some crazy life issues going on and haven't been on the computer much. Hoping to get back into things and have more computer time. This is an awesome group and Gary is an awesome mentor. Has tons of knowledge and always willing to help out.

Shelly
2013-01-13 8:25 PM
in reply to: #4576636

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

fitmomma2010 - 2013-01-13 8:03 PM
rnp70 - 2012-12-14 10:41 PM Hi Neal, Welcome to the group. Sorry I'm so late sending this. Just had some crazy life issues going on and haven't been on the computer much. Hoping to get back into things and have more computer time. This is an awesome group and Gary is an awesome mentor. Has tons of knowledge and always willing to help out. Shelly

Shelly - Thank you!!!!

Edited by GaryRM 2013-01-13 8:28 PM
2013-01-13 8:27 PM
in reply to: #4548806

User image

Expert
Hammond
tricupcake - 2012-12-26 3:44 PM

GaryRM - 2012-12-26 2:41 PM 

TriCupCake - plenty of room and welcome!  BTW, what is your first name?  Congrats on the weight loss and good luck on continuing the loss.  Sounds like you are ready for 2013 to be your year.  Hopefully this group can help.

First name is Kim.

Hi Kim,
Just wanted to say welcome to the group and congrats on the weight loss. I too have been trying to tighten up on my diet. Lost almost 50 pounds three years ago but am looking for better eating to continue to keep it off. I didn't do so well with the holidays- imagine that- hehe, so decided it's time to get back in gear. We can keep each other motivated. I've been looking at recipes all day on www.skinnytaste.com. She really has some delicious looking ones that I plan to try. I'll let you know if any are big hits in my house.

Shelly

2013-01-13 8:55 PM
in reply to: #4549477

User image

Expert
Hammond
Dorm57 - 2012-12-27 8:09 AM

Morning all ... had an easy brick session with DD yesterday (spin - swim).  Beautiful clear skies here today (cold though) and plan to do a club ride at 11:00, for ~20 miles. 

I've been working on my 3 daughters ... Anna 33, Emily 31 and Kathryn 23 ... to sign up for a sprint race in March - looks promising.  So far 2 of the 3 are signed up.  Stopped by the LBS in route to the gym yesterday and picked up a pair of bike shoes for Emily.  It will be a lot of fun having my girls race alongside in March.  I printed out the 12 weeks to sprint training plan for these and encouraged a signup to BT, so will see how this goes. 

Also, welcome to the new members in the group.

HAGD ... Dorm

Dorm,
Doing a tri with both my daughters in on my bucket list. Hopefully it's on theirs as well- lol.
That will be awesome if you convince all three.
Great family memories.

Shelly
2013-01-13 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4550541

User image

Expert
Hammond
ConnieVisc - 2012-12-27 5:02 PM

Hi Gary,

I am hoping you have room in your group for me. I am 60 years old and started doing sprint triathlons last year with my fifteen year old grandson.  I had to learn to swim and bike. I would like to move up to Olympic/International distance. I somehow qualified for the Age Group National Championships in August.  I have a lot of questions!

Thanks!

Connie

Hi Connie,
Welcome to the group. I think it's awesome that you are doing tri's with your grandson. I keep trying to talk my mom into doing one with my daughter and I. Maybe this will be the year I convince her.
Shelly
2013-01-13 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4550885

User image

Expert
Hammond
RCatoire001 - 2012-12-27 9:41 PM

Thanks for fitting me in.  I will be down in Baton Rouge next month for Louisiana 1/2 marathon.  Will be doing it with a friend from work.  Will you be running in it?

Just wanted to say welcome to the group. My dh is doing that race. We both did the Cypress 5k last year and it was really a great race. The expo was nice and I attended a run clinic by Jeff Galloway that I loved.

Good luck with the race.

Shelly
2013-01-13 9:29 PM
in reply to: #4553074

User image

Expert
Hammond
bamagrad04 - 2012-12-29 1:33 PM

NAME: bamagrad04 - Will
STORY: Short story is I am 31 years old was way overweight. During the Summer of 2012, I decided to change things and started running (2.5-3 miles/ 4-5 days a week) and eating more healthy. At the time I started running I was 273 pounds and I'm now down to 195 and counting. Since I have been running I have really enjoyed it. My brother in law gave me his 2003 Specialized Allez and I'm now ready to begin training for my first sprint triathlon this summer.
FAMILY STATUS: Married for 6+ years with two wonderful, healthy children (3.5 y.o. and 7 mos).
CURRENT TRAINING: Run +/-3 miles (m/w/f), weigh train (usually Tuesdays), brick workout thurs (run/bike) and swim at the ymca (when i can on Saturdays or Sundays or schedule permits)<
THIS YEAR'S RACES: plan to enter my first sprint triathlon in June .
2012 RACES: none
WEIGHTLOSS: I have lost about 80 pounds since August of 2012. I would like to lose 20 more then maintain my weight at 180 or so.

Welcome to the group Will. Your weight loss is awesome. Your family must be so proud of you.
You will learn lots here and will be ready to rock your tri in June.

Shelly
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115