of 137

2009-07-20 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2296064

User image

Master
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - FULL
What's the hold up over there?

Betsy0706 - 2009-07-20 12:19 PM Justin is alive!  Thank goodness.  I beginning to get worried. 

Sorry to hear you missed out on Houston.  I cannot believe it filled up that fast.  It has to be some sort of record.  I registered on Friday.

YEAH Kelli!  Now you need to get Eric to register.

2009-07-20 12:15 PM
in reply to: #2296218

User image

Master
Houston
Geez now I'm getting pressured by you too!!

All done...
========= ORDER INFORMATION =========
Invoice Number : 43688_96
Description : Longhorn Ironman 70.3-2009

KelliD - 2009-07-20 12:07 PM What's the hold up over there?

Betsy0706 - 2009-07-20 12:19 PM Justin is alive!  Thank goodness.  I beginning to get worried. 

Sorry to hear you missed out on Houston.  I cannot believe it filled up that fast.  It has to be some sort of record.  I registered on Friday.

2009-07-20 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2295912

User image

Master
Houston
That'd be sweet! We'll need all the cheering we can get, just hoping for no freak hot days this time around

Trin2bfast - 2009-07-20 10:38 AM

I am planning on the meet and greet ~ cheer session in Austin for the Longhorn!  That should be a good time!

2009-07-20 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2296218

User image

Master
Houston
Ya know I vaguely remember Todd saying he'd like to find a way to be ready for Longhorn this year... I think signing up for the race would be a good push in finding a way

2009-07-20 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2296517

User image

Master
New York, NY
No freak hot days allowed....I did NOT sign up for that.

evondo - 2009-07-20 2:43 PM That'd be sweet! We'll need all the cheering we can get, just hoping for no freak hot days this time around

Trin2bfast - 2009-07-20 10:38 AM

I am planning on the meet and greet ~ cheer session in Austin for the Longhorn!  That should be a good time!

2009-07-20 4:29 PM
in reply to: #2296599

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Maybe if you werent swiping beers from coolers that would float by you would have remembered correctly. I would like to find a way to come down and cheer with my boombox. No way I could do a 70.3 1 week after my first OLY. Like I said I am down for Longhorn 10'. 

evondo - 2009-07-20 2:07 PM Ya know I vaguely remember Todd saying he'd like to find a way to be ready for Longhorn this year... I think signing up for the race would be a good push in finding a way

2009-07-20 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2297058

User image

Master
Houston
Hey now I gave that beer back! Would be sweet if you guys could join. When I hear BT blaring from the boombox I will be smiling no matter what phase of pain I'm in
2009-07-21 7:36 AM
in reply to: #2297086

User image

Master
Houston
Happy Tuesday everyone! I've volunteered to coach an OWS clinic in a couple weekends and was wondering if you were to attend what would you expect to be covered? Right now I'm not sure of the format of the session but I think it's going to include discussion, example and trying...

Different types of starts
Water exit techniques
Buoy turns
Sighting
Drafting

What am I missing? Any suggestions on helping people relax? I used to have Betsy bob up and down in the water and blow controlled bubbles underwater
2009-07-21 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2298081

User image

Master
New York, NY
At least IMO, sighting is a biggie when going from the pool to open water!  Not until you're in a lake/ocean do you realize how much you rely on the black line.  Maybe also getting into/out of a wetsuit.

evondo - 2009-07-21 8:36 AM Happy Tuesday everyone! I've volunteered to coach an OWS clinic in a couple weekends and was wondering if you were to attend what would you expect to be covered? Right now I'm not sure of the format of the session but I think it's going to include discussion, example and trying...

Water exit techniques
Buoy turns
Sighting
Drafting

What am I missing? Any suggestions on helping people relax? I used to have Betsy bob up and down in the water and blow controlled bubbles underwater
2009-07-21 8:35 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
evondo - 2009-07-21 7:36 AM Happy Tuesday everyone! I've volunteered to coach an OWS clinic in a couple weekends and was wondering if you were to attend what would you expect to be covered? Right now I'm not sure of the format of the session but I think it's going to include discussion, example and trying...

Water exit techniques
Buoy turns
Sighting
Drafting

What magic potion can I take/drink/eat/rub on myself, so that I may swim as fast as you!

Some swims feel like I have made some great improvements, then I have a swim like this morning and I felt like I was dragging an anchor the entire time... I don't understand the ebbs & flows of performance sometimes (whether it's in training or racing).  Sunday's ride ~ there were times when 23mph wasn't hard to maintain, other times I was doing good to hold 17... And wind/hills/pacing wasn't the issue...  same terrain/conditions ~ different performance on the same day.  Frustrating...
2009-07-21 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2298164

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
I would actually take the wetsuit bit a step further and include instructions on where to body glide.   

KelliD - 2009-07-21 9:18 AM At least IMO, sighting is a biggie when going from the pool to open water!  Not until you're in a lake/ocean do you realize how much you rely on the black line.  Maybe also getting into/out of a wetsuit.

evondo - 2009-07-21 8:36 AM Happy Tuesday everyone! I've volunteered to coach an OWS clinic in a couple weekends and was wondering if you were to attend what would you expect to be covered? Right now I'm not sure of the format of the session but I think it's going to include discussion, example and trying...

Water exit techniques
Buoy turns
Sighting
Drafting

2009-07-21 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2298216

User image

Master
Houston
I do have a potion for sale, it's $5,000/bottle results will vary and full payment is required upfront with no returns accepted

For the performance 'issues' there are a couple factors I think you might not be considering... For the swim today, I would totally expect you to feel like crap today and maybe even tomorrow because of that bike ride Sunday. The amount of stress and fatigue that ride put on your body shows it's ugly head a couple days down the road, not normally immediately afterward. 

For the different paces in the bike ride, if there truly no hill/wind/drafting differences I'd say you weren't eating/drinking often enough... do you feel you were spot on in your nutrition? If I miss taking nutrition by 15-20mins, I can notice the difference in energy level and as soon as that fuel kicks in I'm good to go.

Trin2bfast - 2009-07-21 8:35 AM

What magic potion can I take/drink/eat/rub on myself, so that I may swim as fast as you!

Some swims feel like I have made some great improvements, then I have a swim like this morning and I felt like I was dragging an anchor the entire time... I don't understand the ebbs & flows of performance sometimes (whether it's in training or racing).  Sunday's ride ~ there were times when 23mph wasn't hard to maintain, other times I was doing good to hold 17... And wind/hills/pacing wasn't the issue...  same terrain/conditions ~ different performance on the same day.  Frustrating...
2009-07-21 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2298238

User image

Master
Houston
Very good point, I've screwed this up before and it's no fun!

Nicole83 - 2009-07-21 8:42 AM I would actually take the wetsuit bit a step further and include instructions on where to body glide.   

KelliD - 2009-07-21 9:18 AM At least IMO, sighting is a biggie when going from the pool to open water!  Not until you're in a lake/ocean do you realize how much you rely on the black line.  Maybe also getting into/out of a wetsuit.

Water exit techniques
Buoy turns
Sighting
Drafting

2009-07-21 9:22 AM
in reply to: #1856928

User image

BSLT and this ride Sunday has definitely shown me that I am all over the map with hydration and nutrition... something I used to think I had a very good grip on.  I drank alot on the bike (always do)  But I never had to pee for the better part of 4-4.5 hrs... so that may be an issue.  Nutrition... I took in a fair amount of food, but after BSLT and KatyFL's I felt sick... like the heat was too much.  Especially after the ride - standing around... felt like crap!  So I am not doing something right... and I only have 16 weeks to figure this out... 16 weeks used to seem like a lot longer time than it sounds right now.

Edited by Trin2bfast 2009-07-21 9:26 AM
2009-07-21 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2298388

User image

Master
Houston
The hotter it gets the higher your HR is which further limits the food your body will be willing to digest.  This is where you need to find something you look forward to eating and is easy on the stomach, I'm not sure if you use jels and stuff but I would put those close to last on the list as 'easy'.  Next long ride I'm trying out chocolate chip cookies Simple, loads of sugar and tastes great!

Trin2bfast - 2009-07-21 9:22 AM BSLT and this ride Sunday has definitely shown me that I am all over the ma on hydration and nutrition... something I used to think I had a very good grip on.  I drank alot on the bike (always do)  But I never had to pee for the better part of 4-4.5 hrs... so that may be an issue.  Nutrition... I took in a fair amount of food, but after BSLT and KatyFL's I felt sick... like the heat was too much.  Especially after the ride - standing around... felt like crap!  So I am not doing something right... and I only have 16 weeks to figure this out... 16 weeks used to seem like a lot longer time than it sounds right now.
2009-07-21 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
On in water starts I would like to hear some thoughts on where the best place to start is or why you should start in a certain spot based on your training/speed. In the front, back middle left right or where ever.

evondo - 2009-07-21 7:36 AM Happy Tuesday everyone! I've volunteered to coach an OWS clinic in a couple weekends and was wondering if you were to attend what would you expect to be covered? Right now I'm not sure of the format of the session but I think it's going to include discussion, example and trying...

Water exit techniques
Buoy turns
Sighting
Drafting

2009-07-21 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2298402

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Man I would ride 80 miles just so I could eat some Subway Chocolate Chip Cookies.

evondo - 2009-07-21 9:27 AM The hotter it gets the higher your HR is which further limits the food your body will be willing to digest.  This is where you need to find something you look forward to eating and is easy on the stomach, I'm not sure if you use jels and stuff but I would put those close to last on the list as 'easy'.  Next long ride I'm trying out chocolate chip cookies Simple, loads of sugar and tastes great!

Trin2bfast - 2009-07-21 9:22 AM BSLT and this ride Sunday has definitely shown me that I am all over the ma on hydration and nutrition... something I used to think I had a very good grip on.  I drank alot on the bike (always do)  But I never had to pee for the better part of 4-4.5 hrs... so that may be an issue.  Nutrition... I took in a fair amount of food, but after BSLT and KatyFL's I felt sick... like the heat was too much.  Especially after the ride - standing around... felt like crap!  So I am not doing something right... and I only have 16 weeks to figure this out... 16 weeks used to seem like a lot longer time than it sounds right now.
2009-07-21 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2298408

User image

Master
Houston
Answer of course is it depends

If you're a fast swimmer and comfortable with open water then front on the left/right of the pack is the best which side is determined by where the buoy is you're going to be turning around. I've never started in the front/middle, not as much clear water.

Any guy < 1:45/100m or girl < 2:00/100m I'd recommend getting near the front/outside of the pack, perhaps not on the shortest distance side depends on how crowded and how comfortable they are.

Anyone else how far back in the pack is based on how comfortable you are, I think everyone should get as far forward as possible and to the outside.  A lot of people like waiting till the wave goes before they start, I think this is a mistake because it's just going to reduce the amount of time the wave behind will catch you.  Them running you over will be much worse than the people in your wave...

When I started racing I wasn't sure what to expect so I just made friends with my neighbors before the wave start and asked them how fast they were going to go. Kept moving up till I found someone to draft off of and stuck next to them for the wave start then drafted behind them once we cleared the wave. Drafting in the swim makes a huge difference in effort, also you might get lucky and the guy/girl will be doing all the sighting for you Of course you'd probably want to check the direction once and while.

Newtons1st - 2009-07-21 9:31 AM On in water starts I would like to hear some thoughts on where the best place to start is or why you should start in a certain spot based on your training/speed. In the front, back middle left right or where ever.

Water exit techniques
Buoy turns
Sighting
Drafting

2009-07-21 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
I have no pointers/tips on the topic so I am going to ask...Kelli...does that mean you are moving to TEXAS?    Just throwing it out there!

2009-07-21 10:29 AM

User image

I may go back to pop-tarts on the bike.  frosted Brown Sugar ones or Frosted Strawberry... high sugar/fat and easy to digest.  I started using clif bars and gels... with fig newtons and fruit at the rest stops.

On swimming... I think that is what reduced my performance at BSLT.  I started to far back and to the left... too much turbulance and traffic, and had to try and go around too many swimmers...ultimately slowing my pace down.  had I started more to the front, I may have even picked the pace up to where it probably should have been (given my training swims)... live and learn...

Kelli moving to Tejas!  I think Kelly, Nicole, and Todd should all move to Houston (okay, Austin would work too), but Houston has the best cost of living vs. recession impact in the nation...  Besides we are home to the Vd's and me... what else do anyone need.  :p  Start our own Tri Team... the suit designers are already in place! lmao!  that was some funny sheeeot!  
2009-07-21 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2298446

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
I think the group would really like to hear that.

evondo - 2009-07-21 9:43 AM Answer of course is it depends

If you're a fast swimmer and comfortable with open water then front on the left/right of the pack is the best which side is determined by where the buoy is you're going to be turning around. I've never started in the front/middle, not as much clear water.

Any guy < 1:45/100m or girl < 2:00/100m I'd recommend getting near the front/outside of the pack, perhaps not on the shortest distance side depends on how crowded and how comfortable they are.

Anyone else how far back in the pack is based on how comfortable you are, I think everyone should get as far forward as possible and to the outside.  A lot of people like waiting till the wave goes before they start, I think this is a mistake because it's just going to reduce the amount of time the wave behind will catch you.  Them running you over will be much worse than the people in your wave...

When I started racing I wasn't sure what to expect so I just made friends with my neighbors before the wave start and asked them how fast they were going to go. Kept moving up till I found someone to draft off of and stuck next to them for the wave start then drafted behind them once we cleared the wave. Drafting in the swim makes a huge difference in effort, also you might get lucky and the guy/girl will be doing all the sighting for you Of course you'd probably want to check the direction once and while.

Newtons1st - 2009-07-21 9:31 AM On in water starts I would like to hear some thoughts on where the best place to start is or why you should start in a certain spot based on your training/speed. In the front, back middle left right or where ever.

Water exit techniques
Buoy turns
Sighting
Drafting

2009-07-21 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2298635

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Wasnt Dallas #2 on that list?

QUOTE]Trin2bfast - 2009-07-21 10:29 AM I may go back to pop-tarts on the bike.  frosted Brown Sugar ones or Frosted Strawberry... high sugar/fat and easy to digest.  I started using clif bars and gels... with fig newtons and fruit at the rest stops.

On swimming... I think that is what reduced my performance at BSLT.  I started to far back and to the left... too much turbulance and traffic, and had to try and go around too many swimmers...ultimately slowing my pace down.  had I started more to the front, I may have even picked the pace up to where it probably should have been (given my training swims)... live and learn...

Kelli moving to Tejas!  I think Kelly, Nicole, and Todd should all move to Houston (okay, Austin would work too), but Houston has the best cost of living vs. recession impact in the nation...  Besides we are home to the Vd's and me... what else do anyone need.  :p  Start our own Tri Team... the suit designers are already in place! lmao!  that was some funny sheeeot!  
2009-07-21 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2298660

User image

Master
Houston
Yep, it was the 1st looser

Newtons1st - 2009-07-21 10:37 AM Wasnt Dallas #2 on that list?

2009-07-21 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2298446

User image

Master
New York, NY
Definitely good advice!  And I agree with Todd, I think this is some good info for the group.

I for one need to work on being more aggresive, and depending on the race, starting more towards the front.  I have a bad habit of starting in the middle....which is going to get you in the washing machine almost every time.  In hindsight after my last race, I was certainly strong enough to have started in front.  For the NYC Tri I'm planning to start in front and on the outside....the farther out you go the stronger the current. 

evondo - 2009-07-21 10:43 AM Answer of course is it depends

Water exit techniques
Buoy turns
Sighting
Drafting

2009-07-21 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2298535

User image

Master
New York, NY
Hehe   Well, I recently resigned my lease so I'll be in NY through at least sometime next year.  But the time here is defintely ticking.  I wouldn't rule out TX....especially since I've never been.  I'm pretty open to a lot of places.  But preferably one that has a lower cost of living.

Betsy0706 - 2009-07-21 11:02 AM I have no pointers/tips on the topic so I am going to ask...Kelli...does that mean you are moving to TEXAS?    Just throwing it out there!

Edited by KelliD 2009-07-21 11:01 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 137