BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2013-01-13 9:38 PM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed for Training
Just want to say a quick welcome to all the new members. I am only about halfway through all the posts I missed in my hiatus so I'm not going to be able to get to all of them tonight. I didn't want anyone to feel left out.

I'll post my bio in the next couple of days. I just have to update it.

Shelly

2013-01-13 10:18 PM
in reply to: #4576400

User image

Master
St. Louis
Kartracerguy - 2013-01-13 4:16 PM

Thanks Dorm 57. This is a new venture for me and I have not been to one to see it run in person. I am very excited to do this Sprint in May. My mind is running in 20 different directions thinking about how thing will work so I don't get caught off guard. 

Ask a million questions. That's what the mentor groups are for. No matter how dumb or insignificant you think it is, we've all had the same questions and either asked, or wished we had asked.
2013-01-14 10:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Sparta

Realized this weekend that my graduate classes are not going to allow for the level of commitment needed to achieve my plan, 12+ hours a week studying. Have changed swimming to 2x/week instead of 3. This will still give me 20,000+ yards before my first race in April. I only had 27,000 all of last year. While I am not fast, swimming is easy for me.

It is great to see all our new comers to the group! Love the advice to work hard with what you have. I did my first tri with my MTB and had fun and accomplished my goal, I finished! Also, lol at reviewing the bike rules again, thanks Dorm for bringing that back around.

My soap box - I see a lot of motivation and great plans from this group ... which is great, but don't forget to smile and enjoy, I truly believe this is more about the journey than the destination!

2013-01-14 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4576701

User image

3rd House on the Left
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Open for Training

Well after getting my new cycling computer installed so I can track mileage and cadence on the trainer I managed to put in a little more than 50 miles over 5 days last week, while continuing to rehab my knee.  I tried a "mini-brick" going from a 9 mile ride on the bike to the treadmill, alternating every 1/4 mile between runnning and walking for a mile just to see how my knee woudl respond.  It took me 12 minutes (not a time I'm thrilled about) but I was able to jog without a lot of discomfort. I'm going to keep plugging away at it this week and see what kind of progress I can make.

Edited by Patman99 2013-01-14 3:48 PM
2013-01-14 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4576701

User image

3rd House on the Left
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Open for Training
fitmomma2010 - 2013-01-13 4:03 PM
ConnieVisc - 2012-12-27 5:02 PM

Hi Gary,

I am hoping you have room in your group for me. I am 60 years old and started doing sprint triathlons last year with my fifteen year old grandson.  I had to learn to swim and bike. I would like to move up to Olympic/International distance. I somehow qualified for the Age Group National Championships in August.  I have a lot of questions!

Thanks!

Connie

Hi Connie, Welcome to the group. I think it's awesome that you are doing tri's with your grandson. I keep trying to talk my mom into doing one with my daughter and I. Maybe this will be the year I convince her. Shelly

Keep working on you mom!  I am doing a sprint tri on Father's Day with my 70 year old dad and 10 year old son.  I am looking forward to that one more than any other race this year.  My son has been my training buddy on the bike and for a lot of swimming, so I was thrilled when he asked if her could do one.

2013-01-14 8:35 PM
in reply to: #4575659

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Brett's - 2013-01-12 10:59 PM Newbie question here. Did I hurt myself when I got a 21 speed bike? It seems that most of the bikes I see for road and triathlons are 10 speeds. Is there an advantage to that or is it just preference?

I agree with Gary's comments.  The bottom line is: it is all about the engine.  Even with the triple, you have sufficient gearing underneath to get some serious speed.  There are a lot of options for gearing with these ... some have 52-42-30 teeth, others 52-39-30, with a popular gearing set at 48-38-26.  Either way, if you stay in the larger chainring there is potential for speed ... you can always drop down to the mid-ring with climbing.  My set up is a 52-39 with an 11-28 rear cassette.

Stick to what you have right now and with your training ... you can always keep a check out on-line sites to grab up a top shelf bike as you get more road under you.

2013-01-14 8:42 PM
in reply to: #4576739

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

fitmomma2010 - 2013-01-13 10:38 PM Just want to say a quick welcome to all the new members. I am only about halfway through all the posts I missed in my hiatus so I'm not going to be able to get to all of them tonight. I didn't want anyone to feel left out. I'll post my bio in the next couple of days. I just have to update it. Shelly

Yo Shelly ... happy to see you posting again and back in with the group

2013-01-14 9:28 PM
in reply to: #4578639

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Dorm57 - 2013-01-14 8:42 PM

fitmomma2010 - 2013-01-13 10:38 PM Just want to say a quick welcome to all the new members. I am only about halfway through all the posts I missed in my hiatus so I'm not going to be able to get to all of them tonight. I didn't want anyone to feel left out. I'll post my bio in the next couple of days. I just have to update it. Shelly

Yo Shelly ... happy to see you posting again and back in with the group

Amen to that brother! Smile

2013-01-14 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4578690

User image

Statesville , North Carolina
I agree with Gary's comments. The bottom line is: it is all about the engine. Even with the triple, you have sufficient gearing underneath to get some serious speed. There are a lot of options for gearing with these ... some have 52-42-30 teeth, others 52-39-30, with a popular gearing set at 48-38-26. Either way, if you stay in the larger chainring there is potential for speed ... you can always drop down to the mid-ring with climbing. My set up is a 52-39 with an 11-28 rear cassette.

Stick to what you have right now and with your training ... you can always keep a check out on-line sites to grab up a top shelf bike as you get more road under you.

Thanks guys. I am trying to get a good feel for all of this as it is all very new to me. I think I may join a local group on Saturdays called redemption cycles and learn how to work on bikes for a good cause. The take donated bikes and sell them cheap and all proceeds go to local food banks and missions.

And Gary you could have kept the rain to yourself this is really throwing off my training. I have a race in 4-1/2 weeks that I have to get ready for. Haha.
2013-01-14 9:46 PM

Veteran
One or maybe two (or possibly even 3) years ago Gary said that anyone who once was a member of this group could always come back. If that's still the case, then I'm back in. I'm currently injury free and hope to remain that way for a long time. I dont have any big races planned - just a local olympic in July and maybe a couple half marathons - but just put the bike back on the trainer and am anxious to get back at it. I'm currently running a few times a week and will start biking soon. I'm not going to swim until spring or summer because I'm really time limited right now.

And to everyone new, this is a great group! Gary has a wealth of knowledge, especially when it comes to cycling, and everyone is always willing to chime in and help out.

And now I'm going to try and catch up on all the new posts.

Elizabeth
2013-01-14 9:55 PM
in reply to: #4578724

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

elizabethk - 2013-01-14 9:46 PM One or maybe two (or possibly even 3) years ago Gary said that anyone who once was a member of this group could always come back. If that's still the case, then I'm back in. I'm currently injury free and hope to remain that way for a long time. I dont have any big races planned - just a local olympic in July and maybe a couple half marathons - but just put the bike back on the trainer and am anxious to get back at it. I'm currently running a few times a week and will start biking soon. I'm not going to swim until spring or summer because I'm really time limited right now. And to everyone new, this is a great group! Gary has a wealth of knowledge, especially when it comes to cycling, and everyone is always willing to chime in and help out. And now I'm going to try and catch up on all the new posts. Elizabeth

Our resident fish has returned!!! Elizabeth, yes, once you are a member you are always a member and can return anytime.  Welcome back! 

All, ee have a great mix of veterans and fresh converts.  Love the way this group has come together.  There are still a few "of the flock who are still lost" but maybe we will see their return also.

2013-01-14 10:45 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
elizabethk - 2013-01-14 9:46 PM

One or maybe two (or possibly even 3) years ago Gary said that anyone who once was a member of this group could always come back. If that's still the case, then I'm back in. I'm currently injury free and hope to remain that way for a long time. I dont have any big races planned - just a local olympic in July and maybe a couple half marathons - but just put the bike back on the trainer and am anxious to get back at it. I'm currently running a few times a week and will start biking soon. I'm not going to swim until spring or summer because I'm really time limited right now.

And to everyone new, this is a great group! Gary has a wealth of knowledge, especially when it comes to cycling, and everyone is always willing to chime in and help out.

And now I'm going to try and catch up on all the new posts.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

Soooo happy to see you're back. I'm not going to swim until spring or summer either because I can't make myself get into an outside pool in ice cold or rainy weather. Of course that's just today's excuse-lol. I've come up with every excuse known to man over the last few months. I've just got to make myself do it. I so wish I had an indoor pool to train in. If I ever win the lottery that will be my first purchase.

Glad you came back,
Shelly
2013-01-14 10:46 PM
in reply to: #4570903

Veteran
Dorm57 - 2013-01-09 6:58 PM

soccermom15 - 2013-01-09 2:32 PM

Swim question for everyone.  I understand the concept of keeping a high elbow on the pull, but I can't seem to do it, especially on the strokes when I breathe.  I feel like I'm reaching down for the bottom of the pool instead of pulling straight back.  I'm assuming this has to do with my balance being off since it's not as bad when I use a pull buoy.  So how do I fix it?  Any ideas for me?

Janet ... you might check out this video on how the 'pull' should look.  It's hard to know how we look unless someone takes a vid for us to see.  One mental picture for me is the stroke sort-of midway morphs into a 'push' instead of a 'pull'.  I also try to 'flip' the water with my fingers at the end of the stroke, just as the hand exits the water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF93rZpczaU

If its not as bad when you use a pull buoy then your head is probably too high in the water, which makes your butt and legs drag and that is throwing everything off. Make sure you're looking straight down at he bottom of the pool, which will help with overall positioning.
2013-01-14 10:51 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Thanks Dorm and Gary. I really was missing you guys. I am soo ready to get back in gear. Now if the daily deluge would stop maybe I could actually s/b/r. As it is now, if the water gets any higher I will have to take up rowing- in a pirogue that is- just to get around my neighborhood.

Or I guess I could actually learn how to use the trainer sitting in the corner of my den.

Shelly
2013-01-15 10:17 AM

User image

Regular
NW Houston

It appears that we're all being inundated with rain.  Inasmuch as I am new to tri's and have no desire to spend huge amounts of money on equipment, I have a bike question.  I do not have a "trainer", nor "rollers" or any such item.  I had planned a ride today but the rains will prevent that.  My question:

In lieu of the fact that I do not have nor do I intend on spending money on the above items, is riding the exercise bike at the gym a sufficient substitute for missing a ride?  The bike I use has many settings (my favorite is "Foothills" and another is "Hill Interval") as well as levels (degrees of difficulty).  It counts RPM's (I'm assuming this is cadence although I'm trying to avoid getting that deep) as well as "distance".

Your resident "pragmatist".

Steve

P.S.  Those items are in quotes b/c this "beginner" group throws those terms around very casually and this true beginner has no clue what those items are.

2013-01-15 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4579256

Veteran
sspicer - 2013-01-15 10:17 AM

It appears that we're all being inundated with rain.  Inasmuch as I am new to tri's and have no desire to spend huge amounts of money on equipment, I have a bike question.  I do not have a "trainer", nor "rollers" or any such item.  I had planned a ride today but the rains will prevent that.  My question:

In lieu of the fact that I do not have nor do I intend on spending money on the above items, is riding the exercise bike at the gym a sufficient substitute for missing a ride?  The bike I use has many settings (my favorite is "Foothills" and another is "Hill Interval") as well as levels (degrees of difficulty).  It counts RPM's (I'm assuming this is cadence although I'm trying to avoid getting that deep) as well as "distance".

Steve

P.S.  Those items are in quotes b/c this "beginner" group throws those terms around very casually and this true beginner has no clue what those items are.

Yes, you can ride indoors. I regularly go to a spin class - riding a trainer is sooooo boring and so sometimes I prefer an instructor yelling at me and telling me what to do. Of course, outside is best but since no one is ever going to ask me to go pro, I figure spin is good enough.

2013-01-15 7:04 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
sspicer - 2013-01-15 10:17 AM

Steve

Steve, first while spin classes or spin bike are not my first choice they are much better than no workout at all.  Especially if you have someone pushing you.  So get on that (spin) bike as much as possbile.  As for the items in "quotes", I think the only two you mentioned that would be thrown around here regularly are Distance and RPM's.  RPM's being Revolutions Per Minute and has to do with the number of revolutions of your pedal per minute.  Its something that you will be interested in as you improve on the bike but for now concentration on "" which is Time In The Saddle which is king (at least IMHO). 

BTW, I do like the concept that if there is a term thrown out that anyone is not sure about that you call it out.

2013-01-15 7:08 PM

User image

Fitmomma2010 - PM Sent......
2013-01-15 7:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

elizabethk - 2013-01-14 10:46 PM One or maybe two (or possibly even 3) years ago Gary said that anyone who once was a member of this group could always come back. If that's still the case, then I'm back in. I'm currently injury free and hope to remain that way for a long time. I dont have any big races planned - just a local olympic in July and maybe a couple half marathons - but just put the bike back on the trainer and am anxious to get back at it. I'm currently running a few times a week and will start biking soon. I'm not going to swim until spring or summer because I'm really time limited right now. And to everyone new, this is a great group! Gary has a wealth of knowledge, especially when it comes to cycling, and everyone is always willing to chime in and help out. And now I'm going to try and catch up on all the new posts. Elizabeth

LIZZZZ ... Hey!!! So glad you're back in the group.  Glad to see you are well and hope the issue with the hip is gone.

Dorm ...

2013-01-15 7:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

sspicer - 2013-01-15 11:17 AM

... is riding the exercise bike at the gym a sufficient substitute for missing a ride?  The bike I use has many settings (my favorite is "Foothills" and another is "Hill Interval") as well as levels (degrees of difficulty).  It counts RPM's (I'm assuming this is cadence although I'm trying to avoid getting that deep) as well as "distance".

Steve ... there's not one thing wrong with riding a stationary bike.  Get on the thing and ride, ride ride!  I do spin classes every week and when the weather is bad, I'll head to the gym, click in, turn on the Ipod and pedal away

2013-01-15 8:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
I joined the run club at my gym and tonight I did 5k with the group for the first time.  Pace was ~12:40 and I was pleased with how far I ran with minimal walking.  I slowed to a walk at about 1.3 miles out for ~1 minute and again for ~20 second intervals a couple of times on the loop back.  I tried to go at a pace I could maintain and it was interesting that at about 3/4 mile out the 'pain' sorta moved to the back ... both breathing and pace became easier.  I resisted the temptation to push harder and was glad because the pain returned at about 2-1/2 miles.  Next short term goal is to eliminate the walking.

2013-01-15 10:20 PM
in reply to: #4580284

User image

I had a similar run today dorm, except shorter. I ran 1.25 miles in 14 min. I am really trying to keep my pace and distance down because I am still nervous about my knee acting up. So far so good.

Also got in 45 minutes on the trainer. Starting week 2 of the winter cycling program. New Year is off to a good start and hope to be good and ready by the time race time comes around.
2013-01-16 6:00 AM
in reply to: #4580420

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

kmfioc - 2013-01-15 11:20 PM I had a similar run today dorm, except shorter ...  Also got in 45 minutes on the trainer ... Starting week 2 of the winter cycling program ... New Year is off to a good start

K - excellente' ... Oh and you are doing it right.  The real runners in the group have stressed all along that it's the time one puts in that pays off.  My direction is to focus on running for 1/2 hour, 45 mins, etc in lieu of how far and at what pace.  If I focus on the time, then the others aspect will come.

Interesting fact from the group run last night ... we had about 30 people in all which were split into 2 groups - fast and slow.  One of the leads in my group was a young lady who has qualified to compete in world triathlon competitions.  I'll have to find out more, but I really need to hang in there with this group .

2013-01-16 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4580251

User image

3rd House on the Left
Dorm57 - 2013-01-15 2:39 PM

sspicer - 2013-01-15 11:17 AM

... is riding the exercise bike at the gym a sufficient substitute for missing a ride?  The bike I use has many settings (my favorite is "Foothills" and another is "Hill Interval") as well as levels (degrees of difficulty).  It counts RPM's (I'm assuming this is cadence although I'm trying to avoid getting that deep) as well as "distance".

Steve ... there's not one thing wrong with riding a stationary bike.  Get on the thing and ride, ride ride!  I do spin classes every week and when the weather is bad, I'll head to the gym, click in, turn on the Ipod and pedal away

Dorm- I have to agree with you 100%.  Rehabbing from my knee surgery, one of the things that has kept me sane is my bike and the trainer.  Sometimes instead of the ipod, I'll put one of the Kona races from previous years on.....and that by itself gives me the inspiration to push farther.

2013-01-16 8:08 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Well, rain has just about stopped although there is a possibility of a little snow overnight.  Fun.  Ran last night with the pup (Moose) and he does 2 miles no problem.  Dropped him off and did intervals, 30 sec on 30 sec recovery.  Long time since I have done them, went well but kicked my butt.  Ride tonight, with intervals.

Work got me an iPad and have a couple of "Wait, Wait, don't tell" me podcasts to listen to during my ride.  There are a couple of Tri related podcasts I need to start downloading to it.  Also, I need to start looking at some productivity apps for it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115