BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-06-03 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3530807

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed
dalessit - 2011-06-03 11:14 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-06-03 10:10 AM
dalessit - 2011-06-03 8:52 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-06-02 2:54 PM
dalessit - 2011-06-02 2:35 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-06-02 2:26 PM

ahhhh.  the main forums.  why do i bother. 

let me give you all a little tip.... 

the type of bike shoes you wear has NOTHING to do with the speed at which you move through transitions.  NOTHING, NADA, ZIP, ZERO.....

capiche?

Meaning ones that are on your feet while you are running through transition?  or Tri-specific ones that are clipped on you bike.  If it's the latter then it would matter, non tri-specific ones are a pain to put on after your feet have smashed down the top when you ride for a bit then try and put shoes on.  If it's the running part then yeah wouldn't matter.

oh heavens no!  .. .you too.   *shakes head*

you DO NOT have to have "tri specific" shoes in order to keep your shoes in the pedals.  you simply don't.  this is a freak'in myth.   i have beat up old road shoes and i beat all kinds of people out of transition. 

shoes in pedals in T1 is not faster.  its not.  ask me how i know... come on ask me... BECAUSE I KNOW.. ha!

clip any type of shoe in. (as long as its clipless of course)  it doesn't make a difference in time.  i do it ALL the time.

tip #2

there are many more things to focus on in transition... getting into and out of your shoes should be second naturetherefore something your're not even thinking about other that "gotta get me shoes on."

Personally I have found that my road specific shoes which I thought were going to be easy to slip on if they are already clipped in are not.  I jut can't open them up enough, especially after pedaling on top of them for a few minutes to make it work quickly.  Tri-specific shoes with a single flap can be easier to open up to slip feet into.  I've tried it.

I'll also throw in that I struggled with comfort on the bike and run in the past so I've gotten past that now by taking an extra few seconds in T1 and T2 to make sure all my shoes are on correcty, does me no good to have a fast T2 with rocks in my shoes because I didn't wipe my feet off.  I don't leave my shoes clipped in because I have yet to execute the procedure fast enough, who cares if I save 10 seconds in T1 if It takes me 15 seconds longer on the bike because I had to fiddle with my shoes, besides chicks dig fast bike splits not fast transition times ; )

I would like to get to the point where I can leave my shoes clipped in as I think I can run faster in transition with my bike shoes off vs. on, the speedplay cleats are tough to run in, but even still I would want to make sure my feet get in quickly, I too pass quite a few guys coming out of T1 that maybe were faster in T1 but not the first 200M out of transition because they are busy putting their feet in their shoes and I can get right to business pedaling hard.

I've got some work to do to get better at transitions, most of it comes from not paying attention to where my stuff is before hand, Need to get better in T2 to just grab my stuff and go, put hat, number, glasses on once out on the road, that I can do without breaking stride.

so, the majority of your issues in transition have nothing to do with the type of shoes you wear but rather how you execute.   ding. ding. ding.  edit to fix the terp'd AGAIN and to add all of my issues are pretty much the same as yours)

Agree that there are execution issues, but my original statement is that tri-specific bike shoes are easier to get your feet into when they're left on the bike than most normal bike shoes, due to the fact that normal bike shoes don't always open up as much as the single strap tri-shoes.

LOL, though most triathletes should work on bike handling skills before trying this (yes I'm pulling my snobby bike racer card) looking at that video from Rev3 should be enough, love the dude riding out with his helmet on backwards.

yes, and again your original statement may or may not be correct.  its the absolute in these myths where the problem falls.  and from where many people will read comments like that and think oh i have to have tri shoes becasue they are faster, easier, etc.  and thats the heart of the issue.  you find them easier and faster.  great.  i don't.   from the pro standpoint 3 of the top 5 men in kona this year were in road shoes, so i'd guess they'd say its not accurate either. find out what works for you, that's it!

and don't worry, we don't think you're a snobby bike racer.  it's gonna take a lot more than just one race and a whole lot of forum reading for that to happen.  or wait, haven't you raced twice now? 

now go shave your legs and make sam dinner.  she's got a real race coming up! 

love you... ;-

2011-06-03 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3530487

User image

Champion
marietta

badgerintx - 2011-06-03 9:11 AM

could even be taken as a shot across the bow ..... John ....  Fatty .... you up down south yet today?  

i need a beer.

2011-06-03 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3530847

User image

Champion
marietta
velcromom - 2011-06-03 11:26 AM

Kim - you scared me about not having been in a wetsuit or OW since September....!!

So, headed out the the Splash-N-Dash last night, with a same-day entry.  Can't even blame the decision on alcohol!  

Very cold, overcast and windy, Mother Nature hasn't gotten the June in California memo.   Last time I did this race was 2009, and I believe I did a 1:05 - but I'm not sure.  This time they had 2 mats....one at the start of the run, and one at the finish.  So the T1 time was wrapped in with the swim. 

1.5K swim.  Guys headed off at 6 pm, Ladies at 6:05.  Choppy, but manageable.  Need to work on my sighting - added quite a bit to the first loop of the lake.  yikes.  Couldn't believe how many people cut corners around the buoys, too......how do you rationalize that?!?

Slippery, mossy, gooey climb out of the lake....and a tough time getting the wetsuit off.  I DO think it shrank - is that possible??  Frozen fingers had a tough time tying shoes - don't have the yankz on them, been doing only run races since Sept.  Garmin on (why? 'cuz I feel naked without it!), hat, shades (same reason as Garmin, plus I'm blind without them!), back for the race belt.  Geez.  Not sure what the T1 time was, but suffice to say....slow.

Split showed 33.?? for swim/T1.

Out to the run.....not a lot of people, and not very well marked.  Concerned a couple of times that I was in the right place!  Caught a few guys, felt less lost!  Started seeing people on their way back.  Didn't have heart rate strap on, but it was HIGH - and it didn't come down.  Good thing it was a short race!  Several of us went a bit to far at the turnaround, poorly marked.   Passed a few more on the way back.  Nasty, nasty hills, including one that 150 foot climb in .5 mile, and one that was 150 foot climb in .10 mile.  Rough.  Couple of pukers.    Found a bit of a kick to pass a guy at the finish - who didn't want that to happen.  I felt like telling him to chill.....I already had him by the 5 minute start delta.  Men.

Finished with a 27:?? on the run.  1:01.?? total time, 7th among Masters women.  Results aren't up yet....looking forward to that.

Glad I did it!!

mine shrinks in cold water.  its pretty embarrassing, irish and all ya know. i didn't know you had one though.  odd.

awesome job...  female master, ha! 

2011-06-03 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
For those of us who don't know the difference between a road shoe and a tri shoe, post it.  I used to have SIDI ratchet shoes, but went to a Sidi 3 strap Velcro.  What is that considered?  Frankly, this is so low on my things I need to do to improve my overall time, I never thought about it.
2011-06-03 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah

I wear road shoes.  They fit good and  are comfortable. I bought them online at over 50% off.  They have carbon soles.  The only thing I don't like about them is they don't match my bike. They are green and my bike is red and black.  But I think I'll just stick with them unless I can find some red and black  tri shoes on a really good sale.

Does you racing wardrobe match?  Bike? Helmet? Shoes?

~Tiana

Edited by tritiny 2011-06-03 2:34 PM
2011-06-03 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3530847

User image

Expert
B'ham
velcromom - 2011-06-03 8:26 AM

Kim - you scared me about not having been in a wetsuit or OW since September....!!

So, headed out the the Splash-N-Dash last night, with a same-day entry.  Can't even blame the decision on alcohol!  

Very cold, overcast and windy, Mother Nature hasn't gotten the June in California memo.   Last time I did this race was 2009, and I believe I did a 1:05 - but I'm not sure.  This time they had 2 mats....one at the start of the run, and one at the finish.  So the T1 time was wrapped in with the swim. 

1.5K swim.  Guys headed off at 6 pm, Ladies at 6:05.  Choppy, but manageable.  Need to work on my sighting - added quite a bit to the first loop of the lake.  yikes.  Couldn't believe how many people cut corners around the buoys, too......how do you rationalize that?!?

Slippery, mossy, gooey climb out of the lake....and a tough time getting the wetsuit off.  I DO think it shrank - is that possible??  Frozen fingers had a tough time tying shoes - don't have the yankz on them, been doing only run races since Sept.  Garmin on (why? 'cuz I feel naked without it!), hat, shades (same reason as Garmin, plus I'm blind without them!), back for the race belt.  Geez.  Not sure what the T1 time was, but suffice to say....slow.

Split showed 33.?? for swim/T1.

Out to the run.....not a lot of people, and not very well marked.  Concerned a couple of times that I was in the right place!  Caught a few guys, felt less lost!  Started seeing people on their way back.  Didn't have heart rate strap on, but it was HIGH - and it didn't come down.  Good thing it was a short race!  Several of us went a bit to far at the turnaround, poorly marked.   Passed a few more on the way back.  Nasty, nasty hills, including one that 150 foot climb in .5 mile, and one that was 150 foot climb in .10 mile.  Rough.  Couple of pukers.    Found a bit of a kick to pass a guy at the finish - who didn't want that to happen.  I felt like telling him to chill.....I already had him by the 5 minute start delta.  Men.

Finished with a 27:?? on the run.  1:01.?? total time, 7th among Masters women.  Results aren't up yet....looking forward to that.

Glad I did it!!

I want to say I read on here somewhere that it's a good idea to soak your suit in the tub if it's been a long while since you've last used it.  It makes it more pliable and less chance of tearing when you put it on, and a suit that isn't pliable might feel like it shrunk.  I'll probably have to soak mine for a couple days...it's been in the closet so long I've named it Trevor

2011-06-03 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3531421

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

SSMinnow - 2011-06-03 3:15 PM For those of us who don't know the difference between a road shoe and a tri shoe, post it.  I used to have SIDI ratchet shoes, but went to a Sidi 3 strap Velcro.  What is that considered?  Frankly, this is so low on my things I need to do to improve my overall time, I never thought about it.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=57451

This is a tri-specific shoe, I personally don't like them, I wear road shoes.  They just never felt tight enough for me.

But if you look it's got the one big strap which if you are riding on top of them should make it easier to slip your feet in while you are on the move.  If you put your bike shoes on in T1 and run with your bike then it doesn't make much difference.  I guess these would be somewhat faster than a ratcheted system but if you can tighten your shoes on the ride easily enough won't make any difference (unless again you leave your shoes clipped on the bike).

2011-06-03 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3531446

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
tritiny - 2011-06-03 3:31 PM

I wear road shoes.  They fit good and  are comfortable. I bought them online at over 50% off.  They have carbon soles.  The only thing I don't like about them is they don't match my bike. They are green and my bike is red and black.  But I think I'll just stick with them unless I can find some red and black  tri shoes on a really good sale.

~Tiana

All clothing must match, sorry, that's just the way it works.

2011-06-03 5:12 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Can always count on this MG for a laugh!  Should have put money on John heading for a shrinkage joke!!

Results, @ a call from a friend.... 7/30 Female Masters (would have been #2 if I was 50 and a SENIOR master.....ah well.) 20/88 overall women.  Linda Elkins (#1 AG out of the water at Kona) and Hailey Manning (#3 AG at IMTX) beat me - I'll take that!!!

Need to work on the swim.  Badly.  Egads.

2011-06-03 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3531421

User image

Champion
marietta

SSMinnow - 2011-06-03 3:15 PM For those of us who don't know the difference between a road shoe and a tri shoe, post it.  I used to have SIDI ratchet shoes, but went to a Sidi 3 strap Velcro.  What is that considered?  Frankly, this is so low on my things I need to do to improve my overall time, I never thought about it.

road shoe.  and good for you!  it should be low as long as they are comfortable and fit.  the ignorance in some of the equipment discussions is comical, at best.

2011-06-03 5:19 PM
in reply to: #3531446

User image

Champion
marietta

~Tiana

awesome.  and great price too!!!

if they match there's a really good chance your a poseur.  ;-)

2011-06-03 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3531691

User image

Elite
san francisco
fattyfatfat - 2011-06-03 3:19 PM

~Tiana

okay john, why do you hate me?

2011-06-03 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3531701

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2011-06-03 6:31 PM

~Tiana

because there is zero chance of us wrestling.  

2011-06-03 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3531689

User image

Champion
marietta
fattyfatfat - 2011-06-03 6:15 PM

road shoe.  and good for you!  it should be low as long as they are comfortable and fit.  the ignorance in some of the equipment discussions is comical, at best.

i'm talking about the main forum from my original post yesterday with my ignorance comment.  NOT at tony.   but he is a poseur!  haha.. just kidding.   kinda.  haha!    bald.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-06-03 5:38 PM
2011-06-03 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
It looks like we have a happy hour going on here...do you wear socks during racing? Let's take a poll. I always do.
2011-06-03 5:47 PM
in reply to: #3531713

User image

Elite
san francisco

Terps421 - 2011-06-03 3:40 PM It looks like we have a happy hour going on here...do you wear socks during racing? Let's take a poll. I always do.

Me too, Linda!  That is one more reason I will run in my bike shoes from bike rack to bike mount in T1.  Who wants grass, pebbles, squished bugs or worms on my socks or horrors of horrors on my bare feet for a whole bike ride?!  ugh.

I feel like I read lots of rr's where people not wearing socks get blisters on either the bike or run...especially the run.  not a big fan of blisters, here.  I like keeping my feet soft and smooth! 

2011-06-03 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3531706

User image

Elite
san francisco
fattyfatfat - 2011-06-03 3:34 PM

~Tiana

Wor Teep.  I'd pin you in about 10 seconds.  And you'd like it. 

2011-06-03 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3531713

User image

Champion
marietta

Terps421 - 2011-06-03 6:40 PM It looks like we have a happy hour going on here...do you wear socks during racing? Let's take a poll. I always do.

knee high socks linda?  and thats it??????????   AWESOME!!!! 

i haven't had a beer yet!  but i did ride my bike today.  no socks on the bike.  socks on the run though... every distance too.  my feet are are like jacy's butt all soft and sensitive. 

2011-06-03 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3531722

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2011-06-03 6:48 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-06-03 3:34 PM

~Tiana

Wor Teep.  I'd pin you in about 10 seconds.  And you'd like it. 

with knee high socks on!!!!!    and thats it!!!!!    WOR TEEEP!!!!

2011-06-03 5:52 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
2011-06-03 5:59 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
that model's calves are almost as long as my inseam!!!  Surprised

2011-06-03 6:23 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
socks.  always.  and my new run socks have toes in them.
2011-06-03 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3531730

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Utah
I wear socks on the bike and the run. Not into blisters either. I haven't lost a toenail yet. Must mean I'm not going Hard enough.Waiting in my new house for Abf trailer from texAsTiana
2011-06-03 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3531726

User image

Master
Maryland

fattyfatfat - 2011-06-03 6:52 PM

Where did you find this pic of me in my fav socks?

2011-06-03 7:02 PM
in reply to: #3531758

User image

Elite
san francisco

velcromom - 2011-06-03 4:23 PM socks.  always.  and my new run socks have toes in them.

And you'll STILL beat me out of T1!!!!!! 

Hey, great job on the Splash and Dash, you are speedy! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298