BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-11-11 10:35 PM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
Thanks Robin. Good to have you back

2010-11-12 7:09 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Hey Dirk:  sorry to hear about Cheyenne.  

Jackie: congrats on your progress after one year.   When you look back next year this time, I think you will be even more amazed. Stick with it - - consistency over the long term is the key.
2010-11-12 6:24 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Dan. Also glad to have you back

2010-11-13 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3208996

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I have just completed 2 day in a row with 2 workouts each.  Nothing particularly hard yet.  I want to get fully recovered from the marathon before I hit difficult workouts.  I ran a 5k yesterday at an easy pace ans swam 2000 yds. earlier in the morning.  Today, I swam another 2000 yds. and rode on the trainer for 1:05:00 doing some interval work.  The bike was the hardest thing for sure but I kept it fairly easy.

I don't think my legs have recovered fully from the marathon yet.  The 5k run I did yesterday was kinda weird feeling.  I can't really describe how my legs felt.  Just not what I a have been used to since I picked up running 5 years ago.

2010-11-13 3:15 PM

User image

It took me about 2-3 weeks before my legs felt anything close to "normal".  After about 1-2 weeks, I could do some easy runs...but it wasn't till about a month later that I could go back to a normal training routine which mixed in some tempo work.
2010-11-13 3:24 PM

User image

So does anyone have any special plans for the holiday season?

My sister is coming back from Hong Kong (she works in Hong Kong for Expedia) to visit over Thanksgiving.  She actually comes back next Saturday, and we're going to have a big birthday party for her that night.  It's Japanese tradition to celebrate certain birthdays called "Yakudoshi" with a very big party for friends and family.

<------I'm full Japanese if you can't tell by the picture

http://japanese.about.com/library/blhiraculture36.htm  <---If you want the full explanation.

I'm also burning up some vacation around that time so we can go hiking or kayaking.  She's not very athletic...but is a real outdoor-sy person.  Unfortunately, she'll only be here for a couple of weeks and won't be back for Christmas vacation.

Which brings me to my next question...have you started your Christmas shopping.  I definately have to figure out what I'm getting my sister for her birthday and christmas right away...but I'm notorious for waiting till the last minute.  I don't see anything changing this year.

Edited by tri808 2010-11-13 3:25 PM

2010-11-13 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3209617

User image

Champion
It can def take a bit of time to get the legs back to feeling normal. this is normal for any longer endruance type event, and your current fitness, how close to that level you pushed, etc, will all effect how long it takes you to get back to normal.
just be smart with it and keep the intensity/single workout distance down a bit.

I had an athlete racing at clearwater today, and as many have said she reported back that it was a giant drafting cluster of a day.

She PR'd the swim by 30 sec (31:30) and PR'd the run by almost 8 minutes with a 1:44 half marathon.

The bike as always there was interesting and she lost a total of 15 min (putting her up at 2:44 instead of the 2:30 she should have been able to ride), the time lost was due to a flat and drafting penelty after getting stuck behind a draftpack that hit the brakes on a narrow section of the course.

She was planning on sub 5hours and best case around 4:50-52, given the time lost on the bike things looked like they were very in line for that and hopefully next years course out in NV will help spread things out a lot.
2010-11-13 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3209632

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I heard the Clearwater race is always a major drafting race.  I am sure I read it in a thread on here a while ago.  During my last tri, I got caught a bit in a draft with 2 other guys.  One guy rode by me and then another past him pretty quick but the first guy that passed me jumped on him and in the process I got sucked in.  I tried to back off but I think they dropped some speed too, so I couldn't get off them very fast.  This was actually my first experience with a draft and it took me a minute to figure what was going on.  I was probably with them for only a tenth of a mile or so.

Anyway, J, you were asking about Christmas shopping.  Is it Dec. 24th yet?  That when the real shoppers get active.  My holiday plans are the last 2 weeks of the year off work and visit family in Ohio.  Its the usual for me though.  Thanksgiving I may go to my sisters in Springfield Ohio, but not until after my 4 mile race.

Edit:
I will have done 1 - 5 mile run since my big race and a few 5 k runs.  Next week I am planning to up[ the distance slightly but keep the intensity low still.  My week should look something like 4, 6 and 4 miles at paces around 8:10 - 8:30.  Ride and swims I was planning on more intensity but nothing crazy.

Edited by DirkP 2010-11-13 8:50 PM
2010-11-14 12:21 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Dirk, sorry to hear about the pup.  That's always hard.  We lost ours this year.  No fun at all.

I didn't get a chance to watch the race yesterday.  We have been all over the place.  Luckily fall travel is over and we will have some down time and a little catch up work to do.

Training has been going all right.  I am up to 2-2:30 run segments during my walks with little pain.  I decided to make 2011 a year of sprints and olympics.  I am actually kind of excited to not worry about the long distance running. 
2010-11-14 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3210243

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Thanks about my dog.  It was pretty difficult for us to do.

I remember being in a similar place with my running after I had my injury last year.  I felt such a relief when I could do something other than walk.  Once I was running it took me a lot of self control (more than I am normally capable of) to keep from running further than I was supposed to.  That discipline helped me get through to my marathon though.  It's possible that if I hadn't followed my PT's instruction to the letter I would have re-injured my knee again and might have given up altogether.  Keep up the work and you'll be back and ready to race next year.

2010-11-14 7:01 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

outdoor bike season is over here (it has snowed the last 4 out of 5 days with more on the way).  So, I have been trying out Jorge's winter bike plan on the trainer using the HR method. The problem I am having is with the very short intervals (20" - 1') all out sprints.  My HR lags behind the intervals on the up and down side, so I can never truly gage my exertion. I know, I know a power meter would take care of this, but I can't afford it nor am I ready for one.  So, what I have been doing on the short sprints is going by rate of perceived exertion - can anyone think of a better way?  Heart Rate just doesn't work for me.

As for holiday plans, for Thanksgiving we (family) are heading up to the mountains to a yurt (big tent). we will have to ski in  with all of our gear, food, booze  and satelite radio (football) - but it is a hoot. This will be the third year we have done this.  Christmas, having to go to OK to visit family. I will bring the mountain bike along for that trip.

2010-11-14 7:05 PM

User image

RPE is probably all you can do.  In the end though, I wouldn't get too caught up with the numbers.  Just the simple fact that you're on the trainer and doing a workout that varies in effort is the main thing.  Beats the heck out of not riding at all, or simply riding on the trainer at the same effort for an hour.

2010-11-14 7:16 PM

User image

Are there any tricks that you guys use to stay focused and keep good form as you start to tire on the run?

I found that looking straight ahead at objects (such as street signs) about 50 yards ahead of me really helps me from fading.  When I get tired, I tend to look down at my feet or the ground 5-10 feet in front of me, and I think my form or posture suffers.  Looking ahead seems to keep my chest and head upright, and my stride lengthens.

Also...I think looking at signs or other stationary objects in the distance really helps me mentally.  As I get closer to a sign, I pick a new one in the distance.  Sort of like picking off runners ahead of you...except that you're supposed to pass the sign...since the sign doesn't move...LOL
2010-11-14 8:17 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Since my last tri in Oct, I have been focusing on running, but I've felt bad that I have been missing out on cycling with my friends. So last week I promised I would ride today, thinking I would do my long run Sat. Well, Sat came and my husband had to work in the moring and then we had my son's final soccer game and end of season party. In other words, the day got away from me. So I decide to do the long run Sunday because the HM is coming up. But I still wanted to bike.

So...I ended up biking 38 miles this morning IN A WIND TUNNEL and then running 9 miles this afternoon. Umm, don't think I'll be doing that again in the future. My legs were shot after about 5 miles and I ended up walking quite a bit. But, oh well, I finished it at least.

Robin- I'm going to start Jorge's winter training plan too after my HM in Dec. How do you like it so far? Also, the outdoor camping sounds really fun. Can't believe you already have snow, we're in the 60s here.

J- For Thanksgiving my parents are flying out from Buffalo, NY and my brother is coming from San Fransisco. My dad and I are doing the Turkey Trot 5K and then I'm cooking dinner for everyone. 
2010-11-14 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3210656

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
jpbis26 - 2010-11-14 8:17 PM Since my last tri in Oct, I have been focusing on running, but I've felt bad that I have been missing out on cycling with my friends. So last week I promised I would ride today, thinking I would do my long run Sat. Well, Sat came and my husband had to work in the moring and then we had my son's final soccer game and end of season party. In other words, the day got away from me. So I decide to do the long run Sunday because the HM is coming up. But I still wanted to bike.

So...I ended up biking 38 miles this morning IN A WIND TUNNEL and then running 9 miles this afternoon. Umm, don't think I'll be doing that again in the future. My legs were shot after about 5 miles and I ended up walking quite a bit. But, oh well, I finished it at least.

Robin- I'm going to start Jorge's winter training plan too after my HM in Dec. How do you like it so far? Also, the outdoor camping sounds really fun. Can't believe you already have snow, we're in the 60s here.

J- For Thanksgiving my parents are flying out from Buffalo, NY and my brother is coming from San Fransisco. My dad and I are doing the Turkey Trot 5K and then I'm cooking dinner for everyone. 

Jackie - sounds like you had a tough workout day.  As for Jorge's plan, I haven't got far enough to really say whether I like it or not - however, it is an a$$kicker, if you like pain you will like it. It has been hard for me to get on the trainer knowing the pain that is ready to be unleashed! I am hoping it will pay off in the spring/summer though.

2010-11-16 6:59 AM
in reply to: #3210579

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
tri808 - 2010-11-15 9:16 AM Are there any tricks that you guys use to stay focused and keep good form as you start to tire on the run?

I found that looking straight ahead at objects (such as street signs) about 50 yards ahead of me really helps me from fading.  When I get tired, I tend to look down at my feet or the ground 5-10 feet in front of me, and I think my form or posture suffers.  Looking ahead seems to keep my chest and head upright, and my stride lengthens.

Also...I think looking at signs or other stationary objects in the distance really helps me mentally.  As I get closer to a sign, I pick a new one in the distance.  Sort of like picking off runners ahead of you...except that you're supposed to pass the sign...since the sign doesn't move...LOL

For me keeping good form means staying relaxed.   I have to make a conscious effort to check on my shoulders as I tend to tense up.  I also check on how much noise I am making with my footstrike and focus on trying to keep that light and quiet. 

2010-11-16 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3212707

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
dcon - 2010-11-16 7:59 AM
tri808 - 2010-11-15 9:16 AM Are there any tricks that you guys use to stay focused and keep good form as you start to tire on the run?

For me keeping good form means staying relaxed.   I have to make a conscious effort to check on my shoulders as I tend to tense up.  I also check on how much noise I am making with my footstrike and focus on trying to keep that light and quiet. 

I'll try to relax my shoulders by shaking them out and getting my head back and refocus on relaxing.  I like the idea of finding a sign in the distance.  I can see where that would be a good way to keep a better form. 

I have gotten a few of swims in over the past couple of weeks and it feels good to get back in the water after nearly 2 months off.  I need to spend a little bit trying to get my workouts arranged for effectiveness.  I have ben taking it a little easy as I recover but starting next week I will start trying to knock some hard stuff down.  Tonight my single hard sets were 5x100 on 1:35 including a :10-:15 rest for each set.  Toward the end it was getting hard to hold.  I guess not swimming for almost 2 months catches up quick.

2010-11-16 11:37 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Just finished running 10.5 miles. All I can say is that marathon runners are CRAZY! How is running that distance possible? I have a lot of respect for all of you that have run those longer distances. I'm hurting right now and somewhat humbled. This HM is going to kick my butt.

Good news is that I've started to drop some weight again after being at a stand still for a couple months. Skinny jeans are actually starting to feel a little loose.
2010-11-17 4:06 AM
in reply to: #3214255

User image

jpbis26 - 2010-11-16 6:37 PM Just finished running 10.5 miles. All I can say is that marathon runners are CRAZY! How is running that distance possible? I have a lot of respect for all of you that have run those longer distances. I'm hurting right now and somewhat humbled. This HM is going to kick my butt.

Good news is that I've started to drop some weight again after being at a stand still for a couple months. Skinny jeans are actually starting to feel a little loose.

Great job on your running.  I know when I first started cracking double digits it was a great feeling.  It also hurt the next day...but with consistancy, it gets a lot easier.

Right now, I am pretty shocked at how my body has adapted to the mileage of marathon training compared to last year.  I'm nowhere near as sore as I used to be, even though my volume and speed have increased.

2010-11-17 4:41 AM
in reply to: #3214307

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
tri808 - 2010-11-17 5:06 AM
jpbis26 - 2010-11-16 6:37 PM Just finished running 10.5 miles. All I can say is that marathon runners are CRAZY! How is running that distance possible? I have a lot of respect for all of you that have run those longer distances. I'm hurting right now and somewhat humbled. This HM is going to kick my butt.

Great job on your running.  I know when I first started cracking double digits it was a great feeling.  It also hurt the next day...but with consistancy, it gets a lot easier.

Right now, I am pretty shocked at how my body has adapted to the mileage of marathon training compared to last year.  I'm nowhere near as sore as I used to be, even though my volume and speed have increased.

Jackie, I agree with J on feeling great after a few times running the double digits.  The first few times were pretty tough but it does get easier.  Just focus on your goal and not the pain.  You probably can remember back to last year when you first started running and that probably hurt too.  "This too, shall soon pass."

J,  I am looking forward to the same lack of soreness for marathon training if Ichoose to run the Air Force Marathon next September.  I haven't decided yet if I am going to do one next year or not.  BUT my leanings are to do one next year.

2010-11-17 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
That is awesome Jackie - you should be really pumped!

I have decided to run a HM in early summer (DH is going to run it with me, or so he says ) , so I will have all winter/spring to slowly increase my distance.  Right now, I am only sitting at about 5 miles for my longest runs and 10 - 12 mpw over the last couple of months. Unfortunately, for today my run will again be on a treadmill  - too slick outside. ughh!

2010-11-17 5:48 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
I am also working on slowly ramping up my runs.   I started out a couple weeks back by switching to 5 runs per week at 30 minutes each.   I'm going to do that for 3 weeks (this is the third week) and then bump all runs by 6 minutes, hold for 3 weeks and bump again by 6 minutes.    That will get me to 5 60 minute runs by mid February.   I will probably start building out one long run after that. 

As of Nov 1, my bike is inside on the trainer.   When I moved to 5 runs/week, I also moved to 5 rides/week and started out at 30 minutes each.  I'm bumping all rides by 5 minutes each week (at 40 minutes this week).   That will put me at 5 60 minute rides by mid December.   I'm also gradually increasing the load on the trainer.  

I haven't decided where I will take the cycling after that.   I would like to take a shot at Jorge's program, but only if I think my knees are going to take it.   There is some combination of cycling and running intensity that puts me out of action for 4-5 days.    I am guessing that my quads and/or glutes are not strong enough to deal with intensity and that when I do tougher bike or run workouts, I end up overloading other supporting muscles that tie in at the knee.   Anyway, I had a rough week in mid-Oct and decided that jumping into Jorge's program would be a mistake.   So I decided to try this slow build approach with running and cycling.     

2010-11-18 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3215765

User image

Champion
jackie, agreed all around, that 10 mile run down the road will seem a lot easier than the first time you did it, and yes, marathon runners are nuts;-)

Been busy on my end of things, running is going well and got a pair of 10 milers in this weekend over a rolling trail out and back that i like to run. 1:07 or so on saturday and again on sunday in 1:04. Legs were a bit sore monday but nothing too bad and i'm happy with how things are going. very slowly getting back on the bike as well which has been fun!

And on a side note, the coaching site is in its infant stages! I've decided to go with this format until i can afford to get a site up how i'd like it designed, and be able to fully edit and use it myself, check back soon for some real content!!: http://dcsendurance.blogspot.com/
2010-11-18 12:47 PM

User image

Marathon runners may be nuts...but not as nuts as people who run in JORTS!!!

I like the website though...especially the background.  Not sure how much more content you were planning to add...but I also like websites that are nice and clean.  Not too much clutter with dozens of links on the main page.

Got in a really good run in myself yesterday.  I normally stick to a 2.75 mile loop on weekdays, but decided I would just venture out instead.  So I ran through Waikiki and out towards another route I normally run on the weekends.  I was supposed to do 12 miles, but ended up doing 13.5 instead. 

Going through Waikiki was a bit interesting.  As I was coming back, it was nearing 6pm, so the streets were getting a bit crowded.  Needless to say I was weaving in and out of pedestrian traffic and was probably running sub 8 minute miles in the process.  Felt really good though.

Decided to go for a swim afterwards and cramped up in about 4 different places...LOL.  But my swimming is starting to get a little better.  I think my body rotation is improving as I was only really rotaing my shoulders before and not my hips as well.  I feel much more hydrodymanmic now...if that's the word...=)
2010-11-18 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3216875

User image

Champion
The only real thing left to add is some photos and a bit more information about coaching options/what we can do for you, etc.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105