General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2012-01-05 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3052895

New user

Vancouver Island
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
Hi all.  Just wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Nicole and I'll be tackling my first HIM in June with a goal time of under 7 hours.  I will be using this plan...probably with quite a few modification to fit my schedule and the pools and the gyms.

2012-01-09 1:43 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Hey everyone!

I am Cynthia from Northern Nevada and just started this plan, completing the first week today. The hours fit my schedule pretty well and with driving 140 miles round trip it sure helps to have it all spelled out for me.  However, I am slow in all areas but very slow in the swim.  Takes me about 2x the amount of time to complete the swim training.  

Also, I barely meet the prerequisites of this plan having only completed several sprints and one OLY and came in dead last...kinda out of my league.  There is no HIM planned for my season, I just want to be more prepared for that OLY.

Cynthia

2012-01-10 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3979042

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.

Good luck to you, Nicole and Cynthia!

So after a nice long, lazy weekend (3 days of not training) I decided to push myself a little bit on my run and swim yesterday.  Was able to knock out 4.73mi run in 40mins (8:30/mi) and 1 mile in the pool in just over 30min.  Sometimes taking a little time to rest isn't so bad...

2012-01-10 10:12 AM

User image

Regular
Edmonds, WA

Hi Everyone,

I have a question and would like to hear your thoughts:

The good news: I found a group and a friend that I can run with for a long run...very slowly, as in 12-13 min/mile on the road

The bad news:   The group runs on the trails here in WA, where we end up doing a walk/run through the mud/roots, hills of 18 min/mile (think 'hike').  We did about 5 miles in 1:30.

Question: does this count as a long run?  Or should I do a long run during the week, and just count this day as an extra day on my feet?  The truth is I really enjoy contact with other athletes, so I would hate to give up the Sunday outing. At the same time, I'm not sure I can handle a long run during the week because of the schedule. 

Thanks.

Mona

2012-01-10 7:03 PM
in reply to: #3981757

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.

That's a tough question, ironmangranny.  I would say that if you are still getting your average heart rate up over 100bpm over the course of your hike then it's a great way to start your prep training.  I certainly wouldn't want to take you away from such an enjoyable activity that will get you out there for a long period of time but I think the longer runs will need to be stepped up as your race draws closer in order to get you across the finish line in time.

2012-01-11 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3982806

User image

Regular
Edmonds, WA
mrfranks_84 - 2012-01-10 5:03 PM

That's a tough question, ironmangranny.  I would say that if you are still getting your average heart rate up over 100bpm over the course of your hike then it's a great way to start your prep training.  I certainly wouldn't want to take you away from such an enjoyable activity that will get you out there for a long period of time but I think the longer runs will need to be stepped up as your race draws closer in order to get you across the finish line in time.

Thanks mrfranks, you're right...the truth is, I just need to get that long run done during the week and see how it goes. Right now it's about 1:30, so both days are doable.  It also means no days off, which is more of a time issue than anything right now.  

I have another concern: I've always questioned time vs miles, ie the plan calls for a longest run of 2:30, yet I'll be out there running for more like 3:00-3:15.  Shouldn't I then make my longest run in training at least 3:00? Same with the bike: I will probably ride around 14 mph or 4 hours, so shouldn't I shoot for 4 hour long ride in training?

Thanks for your thoughts on this

Mona 

2012-01-11 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3983748

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.

I have another concern: I've always questioned time vs miles, ie the plan calls for a longest run of 2:30, yet I'll be out there running for more like 3:00-3:15.  Shouldn't I then make my longest run in training at least 3:00? Same with the bike: I will probably ride around 14 mph or 4 hours, so shouldn't I shoot for 4 hour long ride in training?

Thanks for your thoughts on this

Mona 

When it comes time to race you won't be riding for 4 hours and running for 3 hours but rather riding 58mi and running 13.1mi so if you feel that you are not covering enough distance then I would suggest riding/running the distance vice the time.  If you have not been running longer distances then do not jump right from running 2hr straight to 3hr or you risk injuring yourself, gradually work up to it over a couple weeks.

Please note that this is how I've incorporated the training plan into my strategy but it does not mean that only running the time indicated in this plan and not the distance will result in a DNF.  Since this is a plan for beginners running 2-3hrs for some individuals will cover much more distance than others so take my suggestions as just that. 

Make sure you are doing what YOU feel will get you across the finish line injury free, arms in the air, and a big smile on your face for the photographers.

Edited by mrfranks_84 2012-01-11 4:01 PM
2012-01-13 6:23 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Hi -- new to the group, hope there is room for one more!

I'm doing my first HIM in June, and am thinking of using this plan, but may need to move a few thing around to get the workouts in. Specifically, utilizing Saturday as a 'long' day as I have far more flexibility to do things on the weekends. Has anyone else moved pieces of the plan around to accommodate real life, and has it been successful? What things should I do/not do in terms of plan?

Very excited about all this. First HIM will be Patriot Half in Massachusetts.

2012-01-13 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3987841

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.

Welcome, Mike!  I have found that this plan is very malleable in that I change my rest day from Saturday to Friday to Wednesday, all depending on what work or the family throws at me.  Sometimes I won't be able to get a workout in on a two-a-day so I just throw it in on some other day or maybe I'll run 20min rather than 30.  Doing a little is better than none in this case.  As long as you are getting close to the suggested time/milage in every week I think you shouldn't have a problem.

2012-01-16 8:53 AM

Signed up for my 1st H.I.M ( Timberman, 8/19/12). Did an Olympic at end of last summer ( 3hr,5min), next step is the H.I.M.The Olympic was tough, and I am nervous about H.I.M. Took 8 weeks off, began doing crossfit, but now getting back into it. Swam a 1/4 last Tuesday, ran 3 miles on Thursday, no bike yet. Any advice ?
2012-01-16 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3992595

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE

I.T. Band-it - 2012-01-16 8:53 AM Signed up for my 1st H.I.M ( Timberman, 8/19/12). Did an Olympic at end of last summer ( 3hr,5min), next step is the H.I.M.The Olympic was tough, and I am nervous about H.I.M. Took 8 weeks off, began doing crossfit, but now getting back into it. Swam a 1/4 last Tuesday, ran 3 miles on Thursday, no bike yet. Any advice ?

That's the same day as my first HIM (Pigman). I'm not starting the HIM plan on here until April. Right now I'm building up my base and working on some technique issues. Good luck. 

2012-01-17 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3992621

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.

I.T. Band-it - 2012-01-16 8:53 AM Signed up for my 1st H.I.M ( Timberman, 8/19/12). Did an Olympic at end of last summer ( 3hr,5min), next step is the H.I.M.The Olympic was tough, and I am nervous about H.I.M. Took 8 weeks off, began doing crossfit, but now getting back into it. Swam a 1/4 last Tuesday, ran 3 miles on Thursday, no bike yet. Any advice ?

The best advice I have, don't kill yourself training this far out from the race.  Just have fun for now while training in all three activities.  Maybe throw in some weight training if you have the time as well.

2012-01-17 4:11 PM
in reply to: #3970137

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
mrfranks_84 - 2012-01-04 8:25 AM

My arms feel like they are going to fall off at the shoulder!  Swam just over 1900m last night in 44mins and then swam 1600m this morning in 33mins.

How is everyone else doing in the pool?

NICE!

2012-01-17 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3987841

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Mike_D - 2012-01-13 6:23 AM

Hi -- new to the group, hope there is room for one more!

I'm doing my first HIM in June, and am thinking of using this plan, but may need to move a few thing around to get the workouts in. Specifically, utilizing Saturday as a 'long' day as I have far more flexibility to do things on the weekends. Has anyone else moved pieces of the plan around to accommodate real life, and has it been successful? What things should I do/not do in terms of plan?

Very excited about all this. First HIM will be Patriot Half in Massachusetts.

I moved my swim days to weekends because that is the only time I have access to a pool.  Also, I moved my day off to Fridays, since that is the only night my husband and I have off together.  It was easy with the edit features on the site!

2012-01-20 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
So I went to my normal Thursday fun run last night to find my normal running partner wasn't there.  We normally run about 5mi at a 9:45/mi pace.  I wanted to see if I could push myself a little harder and decided to run with the 8:00/mi group and they kicked...my...butt.  I broke off at the 5k point since my hamstring was starting to get a little tender.  Definitely a sobering experience but I plan on trying to keep up with them in week 12 again next month!
2012-01-20 1:03 PM

User image

in a van, down by the river

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new around this place and would appreciate your input about whether my use of this plan is appropriate.   

I'd like to do an HIM, trying to decide how soon / which event I could be ready by.  Considering Miami 70.3 in October '12, mostly because I like Miami and desire travel to be part of the 'experience'.  SOme race reports make it sound like a nitemare event so I may pick a sooner 70.3 to try instead (advice?)

Background-

ran my first mile last APril, lost 35 lbs currently 5'9 and 200 but not 'flabby'.  Learned how to swim (breathe in water) in June and ran several 5k's, a couple 'round the lake' races (4.5 miles, generally 8:30 race pace) over the summer and have been running around 15-20 miles / week and biking 30-40, indoors in the winter b/c i live in Michigan.

Did my first TRI in September, finished mid-pack.  .50 swim (20 mins), 18 mile bike (19mph) and 5 mile run (8:20).    I have since the TRI turned up my training volume in all 3 disciplines, but have not focused on an event.

I started the BT 'free' HIM plan and am now two weeks in.  I like it.

I cannot quite hit all the swim drills in the allotted time, but am fine on the rest.  

Hvae a great fitness club locally, an ironman coach dude who is immensely helpful and offers spin and TRI-specific  classes etc., all of which I fully embrace.  We do indoor tri's monthly.

I have no challenges with finding time to do this, dont work much, and seem to have plenty of motivation; I don't begrudge workouts ever.

So, I'd be super grateful on your thoughts.  I fully realize I lack the background / fitness 'base' that most people have before heading down this road.   Is this too aggressive for me ?   Must I slow down and do some Oly's first ?   

How soon would a person at my fitness level, based on the above criteria, reasonably expect to do a HIM and not have it be a hate-mission ?  I dont expect to perform well, but dont want to bump into the time limits either; lower 1/3-1/2 of the group would be fine.

Thanks so much for any input !  Sorry so long-winded !

2012-01-21 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4001837

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Americanfatass - 2012-01-20 1:03 PM

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new around this place and would appreciate your input about whether my use of this plan is appropriate.   

I'd like to do an HIM, trying to decide how soon / which event I could be ready by.  Considering Miami 70.3 in October '12, mostly because I like Miami and desire travel to be part of the 'experience'.  SOme race reports make it sound like a nitemare event so I may pick a sooner 70.3 to try instead (advice?)

Background-

ran my first mile last APril, lost 35 lbs currently 5'9 and 200 but not 'flabby'.  Learned how to swim (breathe in water) in June and ran several 5k's, a couple 'round the lake' races (4.5 miles, generally 8:30 race pace) over the summer and have been running around 15-20 miles / week and biking 30-40, indoors in the winter b/c i live in Michigan.

Did my first TRI in September, finished mid-pack.  .50 swim (20 mins), 18 mile bike (19mph) and 5 mile run (8:20).    I have since the TRI turned up my training volume in all 3 disciplines, but have not focused on an event.

I started the BT 'free' HIM plan and am now two weeks in.  I like it.

I cannot quite hit all the swim drills in the allotted time, but am fine on the rest.  

Hvae a great fitness club locally, an ironman coach dude who is immensely helpful and offers spin and TRI-specific  classes etc., all of which I fully embrace.  We do indoor tri's monthly.

I have no challenges with finding time to do this, dont work much, and seem to have plenty of motivation; I don't begrudge workouts ever.

So, I'd be super grateful on your thoughts.  I fully realize I lack the background / fitness 'base' that most people have before heading down this road.   Is this too aggressive for me ?   Must I slow down and do some Oly's first ?   

How soon would a person at my fitness level, based on the above criteria, reasonably expect to do a HIM and not have it be a hate-mission ?  I dont expect to perform well, but dont want to bump into the time limits either; lower 1/3-1/2 of the group would be fine.

Thanks so much for any input !  Sorry so long-winded !

You are fortunate to have the time and support that you have to accomplish your tri goals. This seems like it would be a great plan for you.  You can always extend the prep and base weeks to reach the fitness required to move on in training.   I am considering doing that myself since my races are pretty far out.  Use the edit tools on the site to adjust this plan for your fitness level.  Good Luck!

2012-01-22 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4003363

User image

SportzVision - 2012-01-21 3:17 PM  You can always extend the prep and base weeks to reach the fitness required to move on in training. 

that's some good input.  I spose I could just get through next week before the volume really starts to ramp up and just repeat that week a couple times until perhaps I can get close to hitting the swim volumes in the suggested times.  

If I'm truly going to wait until October  to do a HIM, I can afford the time for sure.

thanks,

2012-01-22 5:50 PM

User image

Bloomington, Indiana

Greetings all...

1st HIM coming up in July in Muncie, Indiana.  24 weeks from now and getting ready to start the program in a few weeks. Should I start early or take the next few weeks and keep building my base? Anyone else doing Muncie?  Any advice to a 1st timer??

thanks

2012-01-22 10:15 PM
in reply to: #4004859

User image

drhughes719 - 2012-01-22 6:50 PM

Greetings all...

1st HIM coming up in July in Muncie, Indiana.  24 weeks from now and getting ready to start the program in a few weeks. Should I start early or take the next few weeks and keep building my base? 

Cool !   Keep us posted on how the training is going.  Would be great to get a few of us who are on similar schedules (I'm only 2 weeks 'ahead' of you in the plan) comparing notes / commiserating and helping each other out !

Have you done any Olympic-distance tri's ?   I was considering going through that whole plan first then moving up to this.   Then I grabbed a set and decided to go all-in.   Boy do I have  a lot to learn, and a lot of 'base' to gain !

2012-01-22 10:51 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I better get to bed early tonight as 20 week plan starts tomorrow.  Had my best off season ever.  This will be my fourth time through the plan and very excited to get going.  Doing Boise 70.3 for the second time.

2012-01-23 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4005183

User image

popsracer - 2012-01-22 11:51 PM I better get to bed early tonight as 20 week plan starts tomorrow.  Had my best off season ever.  This will be my fourth time through the plan and very excited to get going.  Doing Boise 70.3 for the second time.

pops, since you already have so much  base fitness, will you be starting 'from the to top' or do you pick a mid-point in the plan to start from ?

Congrats on 'best off season ever' didn't know those were scored :-)   I spose you just mean you kept training after race season ?

anyhow glad to hear there may be a couple of us around here on the plan simultaneously.

2012-01-23 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4005577

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Americanfatass - 2012-01-23 6:58 AM

popsracer - 2012-01-22 11:51 PM I better get to bed early tonight as 20 week plan starts tomorrow.  Had my best off season ever.  This will be my fourth time through the plan and very excited to get going.  Doing Boise 70.3 for the second time.

pops, since you already have so much  base fitness, will you be starting 'from the to top' or do you pick a mid-point in the plan to start from ?

Congrats on 'best off season ever' didn't know those were scored :-)   I spose you just mean you kept training after race season ?

anyhow glad to hear there may be a couple of us around here on the plan simultaneously.

I'll start the plan from the beginning.  In the latter weeks I might bump up some of the longer workouts but the plan works pretty good as is.  The rest day on Saturday during the prep phases will be a long run for me because I also plan to run a marathon the end of March.  I'll get some additional base from that.

I worked on my running during the 'off season" so yeah I pretty much kept training but not on a schedule or plan.  Just did what I felt like doing and if I missed a day, no worries.  Ran a half marathon, a 10k, and half a dozen 5k's.

It is a lot of fun to compare notes as we go through the plan.  It is a great journey.

2012-01-23 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4004859

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
drhughes719 - 2012-01-22 6:50 PM

Greetings all...

1st HIM coming up in July in Muncie, Indiana.  24 weeks from now and getting ready to start the program in a few weeks. Should I start early or take the next few weeks and keep building my base? Anyone else doing Muncie?  Any advice to a 1st timer??

I'll be seeing you in Muncie, Hughes!  I started the BHIM plan early to fit in an extra build month before my first race of the season in June.  Advice for a 1st timer: take it slow and have fun.

I got bored yesterday so decided to close out my Prep period with a 90min bike/60min run brick.  Legs still felt great later in the night so it seems all the Zone1/RPE2-3 training really paid off.  I'm looking forward to my speed swim workout tonight.  They're always more fun then just rocking out 1500 continuous.

2012-01-23 3:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
Hello!
I have my first HIM coming up in June & have the same goals as usual: finish... and enjoy it!

I took a look at the HIM program here... but I'll be modifying the crap out of it since I'm currently training for full marathon #2 in May.

I've got a good running & swimming base... but the cycling is my wear spot.

I'm looking into supplementing my once-a-week spin class habit with a longer computrainer ride at a local health centre...
(if I can part with the $$ to make that happen, I will!)
so loosely here's my schedule:
Monday: swim
Tuesday: strength/core training & recovery run
Wednesday: hills/speed-work/tempo run & swim
Thursday: spin class
Friday: strength/core training
Saturday: hopefully will insert 1-2 hr computrainer session here followed by a short treadmill jog....
Sunday: long run
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150