General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winning Together -WW and friends of WW 10/21 - 10/28 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-10-24 4:02 PM
in reply to: #1023045

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: Winning Together -WW and friends of WW 10/21 - 10/28
klgray - 2007-10-24 3:51 PM

kimmitri408 - 2007-10-24 11:43 AM I have a question for you ladies. All the time I have been doing WW, I never got into the habit of eating my APs. I do eat my WPA though. With the increase in exercise I am doing in order to do my days of swimming class/practice + the training program, do you think it would be smart to start eating them? Do you guys find that it adversely affects weight loss and training when you don't? I know I will need to eat more as the program gets more intense, but I am hoping that between now and February, I can still take some serious poundage off (I'm at 242 right now). Thoughts?

My current leader said that you should only consume 4 of your APs per day, and only on the day you actually earn them (no rolling over into other days).  However, I've routinely eaten my APs on the day I've earned them or the day after and have still lost weight.  I also eat all my 35 flex points too.  I'm too hungry if I don't. 

Ditto!

I think the guideline of 4 AP's per day is more appropriate to the 'typical' person who joins WW.  In my experience, the level of activity that we participate in as triathletes is different even from some one who is 'working out' on a regular basis.

Having said that, I would say also beware and make sure you don't over count AP - I fell into that trap and gained -

The rule of thumb I use is 1 AP per 100 calories burned - it seems to work pretty well

2007-10-24 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1023082

User image

Pro
Without house
lastcall2003 - 2007-10-24 4:02 PM
klgray - 2007-10-24 3:51 PM

kimmitri408 - 2007-10-24 11:43 AM I have a question for you ladies. All the time I have been doing WW, I never got into the habit of eating my APs. I do eat my WPA though. With the increase in exercise I am doing in order to do my days of swimming class/practice + the training program, do you think it would be smart to start eating them? Do you guys find that it adversely affects weight loss and training when you don't? I know I will need to eat more as the program gets more intense, but I am hoping that between now and February, I can still take some serious poundage off (I'm at 242 right now). Thoughts?

My current leader said that you should only consume 4 of your APs per day, and only on the day you actually earn them (no rolling over into other days).  However, I've routinely eaten my APs on the day I've earned them or the day after and have still lost weight.  I also eat all my 35 flex points too.  I'm too hungry if I don't. 

Ditto!

I think the guideline of 4 AP's per day is more appropriate to the 'typical' person who joins WW.  In my experience, the level of activity that we participate in as triathletes is different even from some one who is 'working out' on a regular basis.

Having said that, I would say also beware and make sure you don't over count AP - I fell into that trap and gained -

The rule of thumb I use is 1 AP per 100 calories burned - it seems to work pretty well

x1 million.

the 4 ap guideline is for the average mortal.  YMMV, but you have to figure out what works by playing around.  If you only eat 4 of your APs per day, and you're training up storm and not loosing, more likely then not, you're not eating enough.

2007-10-25 7:26 AM
in reply to: #1017443

User image

Expert
Virginia
Thanks girls. I've actually never been told that the 4 APs per day is a maximum to eat, just that if you are going to earn more than that, you should go see a doc first. I guess all leaders interpret it differently?? I guess my next question is what do you eat for those points? I get 31 pts/day and usually spread out my wpas..so I can eat 36 pts/day (target + 5 flex). I have heard from lots of people that the reason my weight loss may be very stalled is b/c I'm not eating enough..but I don't know what to eat for my APs (according to my HRM, I earn 5-9 during a workout), and not eat just junk. Maybe I will just gradually add them in..and hopefully as I lose, I'll be able to balance it better. I will start trying to eat them..maybe a boiled egg after working out or something like that to use a few.

I did my first "organized" training session yesterday and it feels really good! I need to go log it in the training journal, but I feel good. It was nice having a focus to what I was doing instead of just doing cardio for the sake of cardio or weights for the sake of weights.

Kim

Edited by kimmitri408 2007-10-25 7:27 AM
2007-10-25 9:02 AM

Veteran
Conroe, TX
FWIW, you may want to not spread out your weekly points allowance. If you just use them on say the weekend you will jolt you metabolism for just a few days and then put it back in its place. By spreading them out you are telling your body it will always get that much and it will expect it. My leader tells us to never spread them out cause essentially in the long run you are just constantly overeating.
As far as AP points I have found with training that if I eat all but 2-4 of my APs then I tend to lose. It is different for everyone so you may have to toy with it a bit till you find what works best for you.

Well I think I offically have an injury.
Luckily it is to a shouder and not a leg so I think I can still train for the half marathon but swimming is TOTALLY out of the question till I get to the doctor tomorrow. I fell and I am not sure what happened to my right shoulder but no position is comfortable. If I move just right it sends a horrible pain from the top of my should down the front of my bicep. I guess we will see what they say tomorrow. Have a great day everyone! Jana
2007-10-25 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
Virginia
Jana, I hope you feel better At least you can still run! I used to eat all mine on the weekend. then I tried the Wendi Plan. Neither gave me a remarkable change in weight. So I guess I'm trying this spreading them out as just a different way of doing things. I don't always eat all 5 every day..sometimes I just don't want them or can't eat. But I guess mentally, I tell myself I have those 5 there to plan with and if I'm hungry, I eat them. Other days I don't. If I add APs though, it'll add more variance on top of those 5.

Okay thinking about what I wrote..maybe the reason eating the bulk of them over a weekend or a few days or whatever didn't work b/c I wasn't eating my APs..and not getting enough fuel overall. Hmmm a whole new perspective. Maybe I will try your suggestion but add the APs and see if that helps. Thanks a lot....seeing this from different angles is helping me figure out what I could be doing wrong!

Edited by kimmitri408 2007-10-25 10:46 AM
2007-10-25 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Hi gals (and guys if you're still around). I'm at work today. Let me tell you, I discovered yesterday that I'm not a stress eater, I'm a freak-out eater! LOL I caught myself fighting my self-control in a HUGE way over the past 3 days but yesterday was the worst! I only have 10 WP left and only managed to earn 4 APs! LOL

Hello to the new members

Edited by MrsUSMC 2007-10-25 11:12 AM

2007-10-25 1:40 PM
in reply to: #1024135

User image

Greeley, Colorado
Welcome Kim and Noony! This is a great place!

I weighed in on Monday, and lost 1.5. Yay! I have been very good about sticking on plan so far.

But last night....that was a different story...I went out to a bar to watch the world series (Go Rockies!) was watching my poor boys being pummeled by the Red Sox and over did it on beer and bar food. I tried to make healthier choices (light beer, salad to eat) but when I totaled up the actual points, it turned out I blew all of my weekly points in one night...Ouch. My pre-WW reaction would be to just not eat or eat very lightly for a day after a big night out, but now I still have to eat my points for today, and its freaking me out a little bit. I know its good to keep my metabolism going, but this is a bit of a change for me. I am struggling with some major guilt about my overeating, but I guess that's why those extra points are there--just in case. Wow, week 5 of WW, and I am freaking out because of what I have to eat, not about what I can't eat...this is weird. Okay, just had to get that off my chest. Just typing it makes me feel a little better.

To add to the discussion about what to do with extra points/activity points...I usually don't use my weekly points unless I feel like I am a little more hungry one day or if I want a little splurge (or a big splurge as mentioned above!) I try to use at least a few of my activity points, because my leader warned that it is not a good idea to never use them. I won't, however, use my AP if I really, truly am not hungry. I am trying to listen to my body, and if I really feel like I don't need the points, then I don't use them.

I hope that everyone is having a good week! Thanks for being here!
2007-10-25 2:28 PM
in reply to: #1023657

User image

Pro
Without house

kimmitri408 - 2007-10-25 7:26 AM Thanks girls. I've actually never been told that the 4 APs per day is a maximum to eat, just that if you are going to earn more than that, you should go see a doc first. I guess all leaders interpret it differently?? I guess my next question is what do you eat for those points? I get 31 pts/day and usually spread out my wpas..so I can eat 36 pts/day (target + 5 flex). I have heard from lots of people that the reason my weight loss may be very stalled is b/c I'm not eating enough..but I don't know what to eat for my APs (according to my HRM, I earn 5-9 during a workout), and not eat just junk. Maybe I will just gradually add them in..and hopefully as I lose, I'll be able to balance it better. I will start trying to eat them..maybe a boiled egg after working out or something like that to use a few.

I agree w/ what another poster said re: not spreading your WPA out like that. 

A lot of WW is staying within the guidelines w/ minor tweaking to best fit your needs.  For example, when I'm full on with all my stuff and I'm doing really well, I rarely eat the WPA, but ALWAYS eat my AP (not always all of them, just dependent on if I'm hungry).  What do I use those APs on?  Stuff that fits within the 8 healthy guidelines.  Maybe I'll have another dairy serving (they say women should have a least 3 anyway), maybe a protein or grain serving.  My favorite after work out snack?  A serving of honey nut cheerios w/ a serving of milk.  Maybe add a bannana in there. 

2007-10-26 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

Maggy, you are so on, especially with respect to how you use APs (and FPs).  I have seen it written that you need to think of food as fuel for your body... if you drive a ferrari, you don't use the discount gasoline... you go to the best gas station, and put in the premium fuel.  It is SO very much the same with fueling the body.

This week I am down 3.8 pounds.  And, to add to the discussion about making sure that you eat enough...  I am on the 11th week of a 12 week program at my local gym that is all about weight loss - revving the metabolism through cardio, resistance, and nutrition.  Based on my previously-measured resting metabolic rate (RMR), I was told that my daily caloric intake should be around 1750 calories.  I talked with the nutritionist, told her I did triathlons and a lot of training, and we tweaked the number to approx. 1800...

Okay, so I was successfully losing weight at this number.  Now, for the past few weeks, I have been totally ravenous.  In fact, two nights ago I had to eat a couple hundred calories at 3 AM because my stomach was almost growling.  This week, my daily caloric intake has averaged 2000... and I lost a "ton" of weight this week.

I let my body tell me when it is ready to eat, rather looking at the clock.  If I am truly hungry, I eat anywhere from 100-500 calories.  If it is near a meal time, I usually have the higher calories.  If it is near "snack" time, I go with the smaller number, unless I am incredibly ravenous... then I bump it up higher. 

I was a bit unsure this week...  dumping in the extra calories, but I trusted my body to tell me what it needed... and it worked.

2007-10-26 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Sharon, congratulations on your loss!

I had a long talk with my leader when I started WW because I knew that I would start running in week 3. She told me that the AP "rule" was for the average person who exercised no more than 1 hour 3-4 times a week (think about the WW exercise DVDs out there) and that since I was running 3-4 times a week and adding in cycling and swimming, then I should definately be eating more of my APs than the norm.

I use my APs for fuel after a work out (strength and running) and it's been working great for me. As to my WPs, I use them to cover the NF, SF latte I have every morning before work, and to cover the once a week dinner date Husband and I have. I make sure that dinner date is no later than Wednesday of each week, though, and then I try to not eat anymore WPs. I was doing great with that until the fires this week where I learned that I'm a freak-out eater

I really think you have to experiment with yourself - be 100% honest. Measure, weigh and log. I know it's a PITA, but it's so very important that we fuel our bodies as close to perfect as we can since we're not only athletes, we're trying to lose weight. It's hard to balance the two but perseverance is how we win the race.

Edited by MrsUSMC 2007-10-26 10:36 AM
2007-10-26 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Hi everyone.  Just had my WI, and I'm up 0.4 lbs. to 191.6.  A little frustrated that I've been at the 191+ level for about a month now, but I stopped cycling and swimming and have only been running this month.  I'm getting a little bored in my workouts right now and even skipped yesterday altogether.  I might get something in today (my planned rest day), but doubtful due to stuff w/kiddos (homecoming weekend and a swim meet for my son). 

I also have to buy a new scale.  Mine broke this morning when I slid it across the tile floor and the sensors on the bottom broke off.  Now I just weigh "EE."  Getting on that scale every morning has become a habit for me, and I'd like to continue.  It keeps me honest. 

Have a great weekend everyone!

2007-10-26 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Are you guys using eTools? I'm wondering what type of 'tracking' info is available for CORE.
2007-10-26 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Virginia
Congrats on the losses!

MrsUSMC - I have the monthly pass and when I was on core you could use it to look up points. IMO it kind of sucked b/c it didn't keep track of the foods that were core, just the points for flex. So I switched back to the flex e-tools and quick tracked all the core foods as 0 pts each and just put points in for non-core stuff. It was cleaner that way and I could actually see what I was eating.

Edited by kimmitri408 2007-10-26 4:30 PM
2007-10-26 5:10 PM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

Interesting... when I was using the monthly pass, I signed up for CORE as my plan, and it had a little check mark next to all foods that were CORE (didn't list their points, however). Then, everything else non-core was points. 

I found it to be an extremely useful online tracking tool.  I was using it in the June-September 2007 time frame, and I know that WW was busy tweaking the user interface during this time, so my user experience might have been different from yours.

2007-10-26 6:52 PM
in reply to: #1026187

User image

Expert
Virginia
Yoganerd - 2007-10-26 6:10 PM

Interesting... when I was using the monthly pass, I signed up for CORE as my plan, and it had a little check mark next to all foods that were CORE (didn't list their points, however). Then, everything else non-core was points. 

I found it to be an extremely useful online tracking tool.  I was using it in the June-September 2007 time frame, and I know that WW was busy tweaking the user interface during this time, so my user experience might have been different from yours.

I'll have to check it. When I last used it for core, it was back when the monthly pass program first rolled out. I'm glad it changed so you can see the foods!
2007-10-26 8:34 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

ARGH - ok - I went to my WI this morning - yes, it took me this long to post the results -

i'm up 3.2 - 162.2 :-(

ok, i have no one to blame but myself, I know EXACTLY what I did and didn't do correctly -

I can't even rationalize this one away - started with the trip to SF and well, it kind of started a downward spiral..............

ok - I am BACK OP - no more excuses - why is it that we sabatoge ourselves?

2007-10-26 8:36 PM
in reply to: #1024382

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

wilkyem - 2007-10-25 1:40 PM Welcome Kim and Noony! This is a great place! I weighed in on Monday, and lost 1.5. Yay! I have been very good about sticking on plan so far. But last night....that was a different story...I went out to a bar to watch the world series (Go Rockies!) was watching my poor boys being pummeled by the Red Sox and over did it on beer and bar food. I tried to make healthier choices (light beer, salad to eat) but when I totaled up the actual points, it turned out I blew all of my weekly points in one night...Ouch. My pre-WW reaction would be to just not eat or eat very lightly for a day after a big night out, but now I still have to eat my points for today, and its freaking me out a little bit. I know its good to keep my metabolism going, but this is a bit of a change for me. I am struggling with some major guilt about my overeating, but I guess that's why those extra points are there--just in case. Wow, week 5 of WW, and I am freaking out because of what I have to eat, not about what I can't eat...this is weird. Okay, just had to get that off my chest. Just typing it makes me feel a little better. To add to the discussion about what to do with extra points/activity points...I usually don't use my weekly points unless I feel like I am a little more hungry one day or if I want a little splurge (or a big splurge as mentioned above!) I try to use at least a few of my activity points, because my leader warned that it is not a good idea to never use them. I won't, however, use my AP if I really, truly am not hungry. I am trying to listen to my body, and if I really feel like I don't need the points, then I don't use them. I hope that everyone is having a good week! Thanks for being here!

you are taking the best approach to just get right back on track!  trust me, we have ALL been there :-)

2007-10-26 8:38 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

BTW

For anyone who is interested - here is official link for the november challenge - I think it will be a fun one!

My BT friend Dee is organizing it.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=94003&start=31&posts=51

2007-10-27 10:13 AM

New user
Hoorah!!

At WI this morning, I was down 1.2 pounds to 129.4. I'm so excited to finally be budging beyond of my 5-week plateau.

I'm going to get my sister-in-law, a nutritionist, to help me plan my menus for the next few weeks, too. Might even invest in a food scale. I just want to keep pushing through this plateau and onward toward my goal weight. My bottom-line, seriously serious aim is to be at my final "lifetime" healthy weight by the end of the year. Even better would be to get there by Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure if that's realistic...

So happy to have this support group! I hope y'all are all doing great.

I'm thinking of joining the November challenge, too...

letitia
2007-10-27 3:14 PM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Fantastic Letitia!

I highly recommend the WW scale. I had the older one, but bought a newer brand when they came out. I use it every day. You can even type in the type of food you're weighing and it will tell you the points.
2007-10-27 7:27 PM
in reply to: #1026580

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

springcomes - 2007-10-27 10:13 AM Hoorah!! At WI this morning, I was down 1.2 pounds to 129.4. I'm so excited to finally be budging beyond of my 5-week plateau. I'm going to get my sister-in-law, a nutritionist, to help me plan my menus for the next few weeks, too. Might even invest in a food scale. I just want to keep pushing through this plateau and onward toward my goal weight. My bottom-line, seriously serious aim is to be at my final "lifetime" healthy weight by the end of the year. Even better would be to get there by Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure if that's realistic... So happy to have this support group! I hope y'all are all doing great. I'm thinking of joining the November challenge, too... letitia

Woo Hoo!

2007-10-28 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

I am also a huge fan of using a food scale. 

I don't use the WW scale, but have a digital that can be switched between grams and ounces (love the grams).  Unless I am traveling, EVERY non-pre-packaged meal I weigh/measure EVERYTHING. 

I do not trust my eyes because it is SOOO easy to over pour/scoop.

2007-10-28 10:09 AM
in reply to: #1027165

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Yoganerd - 2007-10-28 8:06 AM

I am also a huge fan of using a food scale. 

I don't use the WW scale, but have a digital that can be switched between grams and ounces (love the grams).  Unless I am traveling, EVERY non-pre-packaged meal I weigh/measure EVERYTHING. 

I do not trust my eyes because it is SOOO easy to over pour/scoop.

I think I may have to invest in one of those things - LOL

hmmm, wonder if I can find my coupon???

2007-10-28 10:11 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winning Together -WW and friends of WW 10/21 - 10/28 Rss Feed  

of 2