BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Greg Shotts' Mentor Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-03-11 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2713073

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Greg Shotts' Mentor Group - Full

conrats on the new bike dee.  I'm sure you'll get good use out of it.  Enjoy!  You could not loose with any of those bikes.  FWIW - you  should be able to  work with your bike shop if something on your bike just does not feel right since you bought it new from them.  Most reputable shops can switch out stems, handlebards and other hard goods (within reason) to make the bike fit better.  The replacement parts are usually "take offs" from other new bikes in the shop where a buyer may have upgraded right away.  For instance, you mentioned that the bars on the trek were more comfortable than the giant.  You could have probably told the Giant dealer / shop that the Trek had more comforatable bars; They might have switched or upgraded your bars for little or no money to match what you liked on the other bike.   Again, congrats and enjoy your bike.

Edited by cycleologist 2010-03-12 12:20 PM

2010-03-15 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2574919

User image

Elite
washington state
My first tri is April 3rd.  I will be riding my old bike because I am signed up for the mtn bike category.  I can't believe that it is less than three weeks away!

Anybody else have events coming up?
2010-03-16 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2727061

User image

Cypress, Texas
Best of  luck Dee!  Go get 'em! 

If you have not already and if you want to spend the money you can buy yourself a set of slicks for th MTB.  The slicks will help cut down on the rolling resistance.  I believe you can pick up an inexpensive pair for ~$40 a set from you local bike shop.  You can troll craigslist too,  I've seen some decent tire deals on there.  If fact, the couple of sets I saw on there were from people who did the same thing - had a road ride to do on a mountain bike and went out and bought a set slicks for the event and had no use for them afterwards.

I'm racing that day too.  I've got a short track MTB race.  Hopefully the timing system will behave better than the last race.  They still have not posted our results.
2010-03-16 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2728737

User image

Elite
washington state
cycleologist - 2010-03-16 7:41 AM Best of  luck Dee!  Go get 'em! 

If you have not already and if you want to spend the money you can buy yourself a set of slicks for th MTB.  The slicks will help cut down on the rolling resistance.  I believe you can pick up an inexpensive pair for ~$40 a set from you local bike shop.  You can troll craigslist too,  I've seen some decent tire deals on there.  If fact, the couple of sets I saw on there were from people who did the same thing - had a road ride to do on a mountain bike and went out and bought a set slicks for the event and had no use for them afterwards.

I'm racing that day too.  I've got a short track MTB race.  Hopefully the timing system will behave better than the last race.  They still have not posted our results.

I hadn't thought about the tires.  I have really wide knobbies.  I will look into it.  Thanks.

It took them over two weeks to post the results from the duathlon that I did in February.  And they still didn't even get everyone's time posted.
2010-03-21 5:40 PM
in reply to: #2727061

Goodluck Dee! Amazing that everyone seems to be so much better prepared coming out of winter....;-)

I second the comment on switching tires to road tires without the knobblies -  makes it a lot easier to keep the bike moving when youre not fighting the tire resistance.

2010-03-31 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2738856

User image

Cypress, Texas

Well, I've gone and jumped in earlier than originally planned.  I've signed up for the Muleshoe Xterra off road tri!!!  Event link below if anyone is interested in reading about it http://www.racerevolutions.com/node/10

Myprevious commitments re-arranged themselves and my daughter does not have any volleyball tournaments that weekend  so I was given the green light to go forward. This is a bit shorter than the other Xterras later in the year so I thought it would be a good opportunity to get a base line of where I am. 

Looks to be a fun race!!!

2010-03-31 10:46 PM
in reply to: #2759989

User image

Elite
washington state
cycleologist - 2010-03-31 8:22 AM

Well, I've gone and jumped in earlier than originally planned.  I've signed up for the Muleshoe Xterra off road tri!!!  Event link below if anyone is interested in reading about it http://www.racerevolutions.com/node/10

Myprevious commitments re-arranged themselves and my daughter does not have any volleyball tournaments that weekend  so I was given the green light to go forward. This is a bit shorter than the other Xterras later in the year so I thought it would be a good opportunity to get a base line of where I am. 

Looks to be a fun race!!!

The race looks cool, Mark!  And good luck this weekend, too!  Smile
2010-04-05 12:01 PM

User image

Elite
washington state
Well, I did it!  I am now a triathlete!  My race report is up if you want to read about it.  I did okay.  I finished 2/5 in my division and 36/48 in the women..... all mtn bike division.  I am okay with that for a first time and being in the oldest age division. 

I rode my old mtn bike with the really wide knobbies because I didn't want to put any more money into it.  Now I will start training on my road bike.

Laughing
2010-04-07 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2769003

User image

Cypress, Texas
Way to go Dee!  You did great even on the MTB.  Mountain bikes are where it's at .   You should try some riding off-road.  There are some really nice trails up in your neck of the woods.  When is your next race? 

Who all is racing this month?   When is everyone's scheduled races?
2010-04-08 5:19 PM

User image

Elite
washington state
I have thought about the trails but haven't tried it yet.  There is a group of gals that ride the trails sometimes.  If I can ever work out the right Saturday, I will give it a shot.

2010-04-09 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2775421

User image

Elite
washington state
cycleologist - 2010-04-07 4:48 PM

Who all is racing this month?   When is everyone's scheduled races?

I am not racing this month.  I am toying with the idea of a small local sprint on May 8th.  It is in a small man-made lake.  The swim is only 300 meters.  I thought that might be a good into to OWS since the race I did last week was in a pool.  However, April is a busy month and I don't know if I have time to check out wetsuits.  It is still fairly chilly here at times.

2010-04-20 10:00 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Yeah!  I'm a triathlete now too!  I completed my 1st Tri and an Xterra off-road one to boot!  It was fun very challenging.  I am looking forward to my other events especially the off-road ones.  The race report is up if anyone wants to read about it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Greg Shotts' Mentor Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 5