General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cytomax Energy Drink Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-29 9:22 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Subject: Cytomax Energy Drink

I was wondering if anyone had tried using cytomax while racing/training?  It is the one drink powder I have found to be available where I am located.  Shipping is tough(and expensive) because of the FPO AP address on a military base. 

I've also found that IM Japan uses Amino-Value as their sponsor and it would be crazy expensive to buy enough to practice/experiment with.  I'm working on my IM nutrition but would like a drink to use instead of two tons of gels.  Cytomax's nutritional values seem close to Gatorade Endurance so I was just looking for some user feedback.

Thanks, Chris

2009-03-29 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2047742

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Hartford, CT
Subject: RE: Cytomax Energy Drink
My husband swears by it when he's on his long training rides.  I've tried it, but can't get past the artificial berry taste.  However, I'm not a fan of artificial berry-flavored anything (gu, powerbar, low quality ice cream, etc.).  YMMV.
2009-03-29 10:02 PM
in reply to: #2047786

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona

kjboneham - 2009-03-29 7:54 PM My husband swears by it when he's on his long training rides.  I've tried it, but can't get past the artificial berry taste.  However, I'm not a fan of artificial berry-flavored anything (gu, powerbar, low quality ice cream, etc.).  YMMV.

I tried some during my half marathon in January. I didn't really need it as I had two gu's with me but I wanted to try it and it was something other then water. I didn't like the taste so it's something that I don't think I'll use in the future. 

2009-03-30 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley

Cytomax is my favorite drink.  I go with the orange/citrus flavor.

I mix it light, 1/2 to 3/4 of a scoop to a water bottle.  It has a great flavor and is not too sweet.

2009-03-30 8:10 AM

I sometimes use it on longer bike rides in the summer. I have the fruit punch flavor or something (it's pink, that's all I know) and I like it fine. I do find it a little too sweet, so I dilute it a bit. Never tried it on the run, as I don't like all that liquid sloshing around in my stomach. An ex-boyfriend of mine, who is a roadie, swears by it.
2009-03-30 8:24 AM

User image

Veteran

I use it on the bike and run and swear by it.  Not sure about the taste though.... it took some getting used to.  I have tried the Pink Lemonade and the Apple.  Strangely, I found mixing it stronger actually tasted better for me.  Normally I prefer weaker but not with this.

Also, although it seems to last on the bike (even for long rides) don't mix it and leave it out overnight and then take it.  URGH!!!! Put it in the fridge.

2009-03-30 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2048136

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

I have used Cytomax too and after trying just about everthing else i'm back to the Cytomax. I too prefer the orange slightly diluted

mrussell - 2009-03-30 6:01 AM

Cytomax is my favorite drink.  I go with the orange/citrus flavor.

I mix it light, 1/2 to 3/4 of a scoop to a water bottle.  It has a great flavor and is not too sweet.

2009-03-30 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tinton Falls, NJ
Chris,

Just wanted to hit on (2) things in your post:

FPO/AP Shipping: We ship MANY packages to APO addresses via USPS Priority & it is not very expensive at all. If there's something you'd like shipped, just shoot me an e-mail off-line & I'd be happy to get you what you need w/o killing you on the shipping (just need to be a little creative w/ it) - [email protected]

Cytomax: I too have been a very long-time user of Cytomax as it sits very well in my gut regardless of how much & at what concentration. With that, you definitely DO NOT want to confuse it w/ Gatorade Endurance as they are very different. One isn't necessarily better than another, just different. For example, just comparing the CHO content/breakdown per ~100cal:

Cytomax: 22g CHO (12g sugar)
Gatorade Endurance (GE): 28g CHO (28g sugar)

There is also a dramatic differences in the electrolyte content, w/ GE having MUCH more (sodium content is 120mg in Cytomax vs 400mg in GE).

Generally speaking, Cytomax is preferred by those who:

• Prefer a sweeter taste & possibly a flavor w/ no artificial colors/sweeteners (Cytomax has 2 'all-natural' flavors)
  • Have fairly low electrolyte requirements/sweat rates.

As noted above, there are dramatic difference in the sodium content of Cytomax & GE & below is the sodium content of a few of the more popular FRD (Fluid Replacement Drinks) per 100cal:

Cytomax: 120mg
    Gatorade Endurance: 400mg
    EFS: 270mg
    Accelerade: 190mg
    HEED: 40mg

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you have any other specific questions.
  • 2009-03-30 10:32 AM
    in reply to: #2048346

User image

Expert
    lake forest, California

Ah excellent post and I agree- with the Cytomax I use Enduralytes as well.

BrianPBN - 2009-03-30 7:26 AM Chris, Just wanted to hit on (2) things in your post: FPO/AP Shipping: We ship MANY packages to APO addresses via USPS Priority & it is not very expensive at all. If there's something you'd like shipped, just shoot me an e-mail off-line & I'd be happy to get you what you need w/o killing you on the shipping (just need to be a little creative w/ it) - [email protected] Cytomax: I too have been a very long-time user of Cytomax as it sits very well in my gut regardless of how much & at what concentration. With that, you definitely DO NOT want to confuse it w/ Gatorade Endurance as they are very different. One isn't necessarily better than another, just different. For example, just comparing the CHO content/breakdown per ~100cal: Cytomax: 22g CHO (12g sugar) Gatorade Endurance (GE): 28g CHO (28g sugar) There is also a dramatic differences in the electrolyte content, w/ GE having MUCH more (sodium content is 120mg in Cytomax vs 400mg in GE). Generally speaking, Cytomax is preferred by those who:

• Prefer a sweeter taste & possibly a flavor w/ no artificial colors/sweeteners (Cytomax has 2 'all-natural' flavors)
  • Have fairly low electrolyte requirements/sweat rates. As noted above, there are dramatic difference in the sodium content of Cytomax & GE & below is the sodium content of a few of the more popular FRD (Fluid Replacement Drinks) per 100cal: Cytomax: 120mg Gatorade Endurance: 400mg EFS: 270mg Accelerade: 190mg HEED: 40mg I hope that helps, but please let me know if you have any other specific questions.
  • 2009-03-30 2:26 PM
    in reply to: #2048346

User image

The Natti
    Here is a product review I did a while back. The biggest issue I have is that it is a very very dense product, (probably because of the buffers) while being very low on the calories and electrolyte. The osmolality is almost 500 (the highest of any product we tested), and typically you want it fewer than 300 for a correct sports drink.

CytoMax®

Pros:

Includes both sodium and potassium as electrolytes
    Multiple carbohydrate sources
    Maltodextrine is primary energy source

Cons:

Very low amount of electrolytes
    Very low amount of calories
    Incomplete electrolyte profile, no magnesium or potassium
    Osmolality of 482
    No option for protein
    Taste, over extended periods and when warm

Notes: Cytomax’s claim to fame is their unique lactic acid buffer ingredient Alpha-L-Polylactate™ that is supposed to lower the levels of lactic acid and increase VO2Max. CytoSport has been in the market for a long time and has enjoyed success. The claims about Alpha-L-Polylactate™ are intriguing.

Cytomax does not include any option for protein and has a very small amount of electrolyte and calories for most endurance athletes. Athletes might have to supplement with salt tablets if they choose to use this product. A 150-pound athlete typically needs to take 300 calories per hour for extended exercise. That means that you would have to drink almost 50 ounces per hour to get your hourly caloric needs!

While Cytomax is an interesting product, it would be difficult to use for events lasting much longer that 2 hours. The high osmolality could also lead to stomach issues unless diluted.

EDIT: Chris, we don't upcharge for an APO, just the cost to get to the distribution point. I send to military guys all the time thru USPS all over the world. Apreciate what you guys do. Thanks.

Edited by infinIT 1 2009-03-30 2:54 PM
    2009-03-30 2:44 PM
    in reply to: #2049123

User image

Sensei
    Sin City

I tried it and even had free access to it since I new a rep with the company.  He was always giving me freebies...  However, it was hard for me to take, to be honest.  Unless it was ice cold, it was hard to swallow.  I stuck to the pommegranit and tried the apple as well.

It just didn't work well on my long runs and rides in the desert heat (for me).

I switched to Infinit, and it works a lot better for me, and is easier to drink warm or cold.  But I still used the cytomax for a recovery drink option after working out.

2009-03-30 4:24 PM

User image

i also found cytomax very hard to put down.  i bought some when it was really marked down at gnc...it was the grape flavor and it made me not want to drink it at all while riding, though maybe that's why it was so highly discounted.
    2009-03-31 12:36 AM

User image

Veteran
    Raleigh Area, (Clayton) NC
    I've been using it and like it. (I've tried others and I think accelerade was the worst tasting mess I've ever had. As someone else said, tasted like bile! Well, he was right!)

I like the orange flavor Cytomax the best, but also liked the lemon citrus.
    I use it when on the road bike, and in my camelbak on the mtb.

Refrigerate unused portion (like when mixed up too much in the camelbak), and it'll be good for a few days.
    I've also mixed it with a protein powder to add some carbs to a pure potein drink.

It's like anything else though, personal taste and preference. Try some out and see if it works for you.
    2024-08-15 10:29 AM
    in reply to: papson14

I know this is an old discussion but I was researching what happened to Cytosport and the Cytomax drink. It is in a few places on the web. Hormel had bought the brand and then sold it combined with Evolve and Muscle Milk to Pepsi in 2019. It looks like since Pepsi markets Gatorade they have chosen to no longer make the Cytomax drink. This is a huge mistake as many friends in the cycling community used it regularly despite the flavor. It had the best lactic acid inhibiting quality of any sport drink out there. I can recall ads in Bicycling magazine showing about 40 pro running and cycling athletes that swore by it. Hopefully Pepsi will bring it back.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cytomax Energy Drink Rss Feed