General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buzzards Bay Sprint Tri 2008 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-09-16 11:24 AM
in reply to: #1522535

User image

Subject: RE: Buzzards Bay Sprint Tri 2008
I'd say if you can afford a wetsuit, get a wetsuit.  This will be my third tri (first two were the past two weekends) and I used a wetsuit for all races but trained in a trisuit.  The wetsuit will help the newbies who might have trouble fighting for their spot in the water.  The bouancy provided by the wetsuit is such a comfort and you'll really glide faster through the water.  Not to mention, it's a tread start so it's nice to float at the beginning and save your energy.  I know they don't recommend it, but my friend swam the first time in her wetsuit this past tri.  I'd get one.  See you there!

2008-09-16 11:35 AM
in reply to: #1677235

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA

acvaut - 2008-09-16 12:24 PM I'd say if you can afford a wetsuit, get a wetsuit. 

X2 on having a wetsuit for any outdoor race in New England.  I've done six races this year and at my last one many people didn't wear one (1/4 pond swim) but if you looked at the front of the pack everybody had one on, including the most experienced triathletes.  With mine on I took 9 seconds off my 100-yard indoor pace and I was in the top sixth coming out of the water.

acvaut - 2008-09-16 12:24 PM I know they don't recommend it, but my friend swam the first time in her wetsuit this past tri. 

One of the cardinal rules in this sport is "nothing new on race day".  I made this mistake at my first OWS triathlon (Cranberry Country Olympic), and it was terrifying.  Despite all the benefits of a wetsuit, you put yourself in more danger swimming in it for the first time at a race.  Please do not do this!

2008-09-16 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1677276

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

scott - 2008-09-16 12:35 PM

One of the cardinal rules in this sport is "nothing new on race day".  I made this mistake at my first OWS triathlon (Cranberry Country Olympic), and it was terrifying.  Despite all the benefits of a wetsuit, you put yourself in more danger swimming in it for the first time at a race.  Please do not do this!

Good to know, Scott!  Since it's so close, I'd probably have to rent instead of finding an end of season deal to buy, and likely that means I wouldn't have a chance to take it for a test run.  Also, as a first-timer I'd just be looking to finish - not shave seconds or hit PRs.

Thanks for the input!

2008-09-16 6:21 PM

User image

Regular
Waltham

Thanks for everyone's input!  I'm headed up to Boston this weekend for the Hub on Wheels cycling event, so I think I'll see what I can find for a wetsuit.  Any thoughts on best spot to look - Quad multisport vs. Fast Splits or I was thinking of Wheelworks too since I saw they had some on clearance at the Hyannis Sprint II # pick-up...

Also, what are people's thoughts on sleeves vs. sleeveless?  I know wetsuits with sleeves are supposed to make you faster (vs. sleeveless), but I would think all that material around the shoulders would feel cumbersome (if it's anything like the surfing wetsuit I've used) and would take longer to get off which would probably negate any speed you gain?

I'm still a little torn about buying one for this tri -my first (and I don't have any interest in renting one for $80- I'd rather just put my money towards a purchase).  I feel like upper 60s water temp will be a bit cool, but ok for me.  I have no idea what my pace is swimming since I have done all my training in open water, therefore I won't even really be able to appreciate any gains the wetsuit will give me.  Plus I figure T1 will take me a while longer to get the suit off!  What did sound appealing was acvaut's comment about saving energy with the tread start from the bouancy of the wetsuit.  

So - any thoughts on where to look and/or to buy a wetsuit with/without sleeves would be much appreciated.  I guess I'm thinking I will buy one if I can find one that fits and is on sale - or hopefully not more than $200 or so.

Thanks!

2008-09-17 12:41 PM
in reply to: #1678420

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

Still trying to figure out the sleeveless vs non issue, myself, so if anyone has any opinions/experience with either, it'd be much appreciated!

Wet suit rentals from Quad Multisport are $50 for a Thurs-Monday rental, which might still be difficult with pick up and drop off, but definitely an affordable option that will give a day or two to swim in it pre-race.  (This would be my first tri AND first wet suit swim, so I would really want to try it out before race day!)

I've been doing some shopping online and there do seem to be a lot of end of season deals under $170 (including a $100 one in unisex sizes that I fear my hips and chest may not be too happy about!).  It's all end of stock, so you'll have to look by your own size since there are typically only one or two sizes left, but here are a couple inexpensive sleeveless ones that looked good to me:

Women's NeoSport SPRINT Sleveless ~$150

ProMotion Sleveless ~$140 in red or green or blue(one size per color)

(and here's that unisex $99 one, too)

Good luck!

2008-09-17 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

Now that I've gotten myself feeling ready and prepped gear-wise, going to register today it's SOLD OUT!!  Gah!    I'll be quicker on the draw - and better prepared - at the start of next season.

Have fun and good luck everyone!!

2008-09-17 3:21 PM

User image

Regular

Joe (Ontherun), a BT Massachusetts member has a video out there he just did reviewing some wetsuits.  check it out:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1537

And if you didn't get into the Buzzards Bay sprint, some of us are doing the Fantastic Nantasket tri this weekend (there's a thread out there).  check it out.

jim

2008-09-20 12:55 PM

Hey Guys,

Its really great to see fellow triatheles doing the BB Tria. This is my frist tri ! So I am looking to enjoy the experience and finish it with a big smile Have been training from May. I am going to head out to the the State park tomorrow morning. I will mail you back my report about the hill and the water. About wetsuit, I am definitely getting one...will be renting one over the weekend from Quad Multi Sports and then if I like it, buy it out.

I had a question though...I have been training in a tri-suit and over the past couple weekends the temp being cooler, I have been throwing on a loose play-dry Tshirt over my tri suit and then removing it during the run(when i did my last brick workout) Do you think it is a good idea to do that during the race? Any thoughts / ideas / advice(to suck it up and brave the cold / tips ?

Thanks.

Regards,

kiks

2008-09-21 8:30 PM

User image

In response to the wetsuit sleeves or sleeveless question, I tried on two suits when I was looking at them.  One was the neosport woman's sprint and the other one was... I'm not sure but it had sleeves.  Anyway, i went with the neosport.  I had the same concerns about the restricting feeling around the shoulders and I just didn't want to take the risk.  Anyway, I opt'd for the neosport. (long story short I was worried that my back ordered Xterra suit wouldn't show up in time for my first race so I bought a backup and that was the neosport.)  SO..... My vote is for sleeveless. 

Also, if you missed the registration, it doesn't hurt to email Tim at Max Performance to see if anyone dropped out.  My friend was locked out of a race in CT and when she called up they let her in last minute. 

Looking forward to meeting fellow BTers at the race!!! (And Scott, you're right.  Nothing new on race day.)

2008-09-21 8:38 PM

User image

Regular

I did the Fantastic Nantasket today and the water was cooooooooold!  Hope Buzzards Bay is warmer.

jim

2008-09-23 10:27 PM

Guys forecast sucks.  Lows in the 50 possible high winds and rain 70% prob... WHAT TO DO???? This is my first race and I am not sure how to prep or even do it.. Uggggg.....Suggestions please.....

2008-09-24 5:38 AM

User image

Regular
Waltham

Well... depending on where you look, the forecast isn't quite so bad.  I've seen both on a Boston news channel and on Accuweather that it might just be cloudy, maybe with a few showers, and high of 72 for the day (which I'm sure it won't be anywhere near at race time).  This is my first as well, but I was supposed to do the Hyannis Sprint II which ended up being cancelled about 1.5 hrs before race time because of Tropical Storm Hanna.  Therefore - I at least had a chance to think through the bad weather piece.  I think if it is raining, just be sure to bring a plastic bag to stick your cycling/running shoes in so they're not totally soaked.  After debating the wetsuit, I'm very happy now that I did go ahead and get a full sleeved suit.  Otherwise, I think we'll find it to be fine to bike/run in tri tops - not being too cold I mean.  But if you are worried, you could always throw a long sleeved shirt over.  You'll be fine!  Good luck.

2008-09-24 6:59 AM

User image

Beantown
2008-09-26 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island

DAMMIT!!!!

2008-09-26 3:49 PM

User image

Beantown

Sorry Gang -

The worst part of the cancellation is not getting you meet you guys  

Keep up the good work over the winter and we'll be rockin-n-rollin for the season opener!!

Now turn that frown upside down and find a way to have a great weekend!!!

2008-09-26 4:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island

BITTER!

This about describes me right now...

The next triathon I do...I will be a dad! Silver lining on the clouds that have darkened my Friday evening.

2008-09-26 5:21 PM

User image

Regular
Waltham

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?  Is is cancelled???  I didn't get an email or see anything on their website.  I'd really appreciate it if someone could let me know ASAP.  I need to cancel my hotel.  Damn!!!  My first attempt at triathlon was ruined (cancelled) due to tropical storm Hanna.  I can't believe this is happening again!  Boo!  This is very sad if true.  

2008-09-26 8:07 PM

User image

Just got the email and it is officially cancelled.  Bummer. Max is such a great group and I was looking forward to ending the season with them.

2008-09-27 8:15 AM

User image

Regular
Waltham

Ok... moving on.  I can't believe what bad luck I've had having my 2 triathlons both cancelled!  But, I'm determined to get in a triathlon this season after planning for one all summer, so I just signed up for a sprint in Montauk,NY:  http://www.eventpowerli.com/2008/index.cfm?ID=52  

Road trip!!!!  yay!

2008-09-27 8:56 AM

User image

Regular

Sorry to hear about the cancellation.

jim

2008-09-27 8:25 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Sorry everyone....

2008-09-28 9:33 AM

User image

Regular

In the interest of posterity and for anyone searching next year for information on the race, pasted below is the message all participants received in regards to the 2008 race.

Looking at the weather this morning, it probably was a good call.  I did catch the Lake Placid IM this summer as a spectator and was amazed that they raced in such heavy downpours though.

-------------------------------------------- 

Dear Buzzards Bay Registrant,

The Buzzards Bay Triathlon scheduled for this Sunday has been cancelled.  Postponing the race wasn't an option due to tide conditions.  The decision was based on our confident opinion that race day conditions would be dangerous. 

Basis for the decision
The decision was based on a detailed examination of the swim and bike conditions, combined with very troublesome weather expected over the next 36-hours.  We discussed the variability of the tides, rip current, road drainage, debris, etc.  and their impact on your safety, with Environmental Police Officers, State Park officials, local Police Officers and even a an inside guy at the National Weather Service.  All agreed that "we would very likely be putting the triathletes in harms way" if we raced on Sunday.

What is our cancellation policy?
In the spirit of good sportsmanship, we are contradicting our no refund policy.  We will be giving you a 40% refund via a check in the mail.  We will also be organizing two "Buzzards Giveaway gatherings" at Quad Multisport at dates and times TBD.  You'll receive an impressive Goodie Bag, be eligible for one of 50+ Sponsor Giveaways and be able to enjoy a special Quad sale specifically for Max triathletes.

2008-09-28 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA
One of the RDs at MaxPerformance in on my tri team, and at our year-end party Friday night I got a first-hand account of the decision process they went through before cancelling the race.  Believe me, you should be glad that they care as much about athlete safety as they do.
2008-09-29 11:32 AM

User image

I agree.  I live down near where the tri was going to be held, near the water.  It would not have been a fun time at all.  I'm glad that they do care enough to cancel the race, knowing that they'll have to refund some of the money and everyones hard work will go "un-raced".  Anyway, I still think Max is the best group to race with and I'm looking forward to enter every one of their races next year.  See you all at the BB Tri next year!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buzzards Bay Sprint Tri 2008 Rss Feed  

of 2