General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Rapids Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Grand Rapids Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ada, Michigan
United States
Tris4Health
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 08m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Did my usual, although stomach did not want to deal with food. Arrived at venue at about 5am and into transition at 5:15 or so. Rode bike in, which is about a mile. Set up transition, talked to Janet a bit, headed for the water after putting a hole in my wetsuit. Not ideal. It was chilly (~55F at beginning of event).
Event warmup:

Rode my bike about a mile to the venue from the parking area. Did get in the water, but really just hung out in the water absorbing the atmosphere and floating. didn't really swim much
Swim
  • 44m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall pretty good. I was a bit out too far on the first leg of the triangle, getting out to where the kayaks were, but I feel like that was okay, because I missed out on the general bumping common with the beginning of the race. Did get bopped on the nose right after the 1000yd mark, which threw me off for a little bit, but i the end it turned out okay. No permanent damage (although this morning my left eye is a bit swollen and I have a minor black eye). Swam right up to the exit guys, who were super helpful, as usual.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on sighting more, as I do tend to drift right when left to my own devices. I think I can push the pace harder too. I looked at my HR data and it is an average of 72bpm, which is low for actually engaging in activity! (I know--it doesn't track well in the water)
Transition 1
  • 08m 47s
Comments:

Overall, T1 went about as well as it could have, given the LONG run between the water exit and the transition area (~0.5mi). I exited the water well and had the wetsuit strippers help me out of my wetsuit. Had a bit of an issue getting my chacos on for the run, so that slowed me down a bit. Run to the transition area was okay--at least I didn't get passed by spectators walking to transition this time! Once I got to the transition area, things went pretty smoothly. I wish I had taken a moment to put more chamois cream on--I regretted that later.

Put chamois cream on for the ride. 56 miles is a long ride, better safe and happy than sorry.
Bike
  • 3h 15m 41s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was TOUGH. There was a tailwind going out to about mile 18, but it was not very strong. Once I got out into the flatter area after the hills it became more noticable, but then we turned and it became a gusting cross-wind of about 20mph with 35mph gusts. The final turn to the turn around (c. 8 miles) was headwind with open fields surrounding, meaning absolutely no relief. Turn around was t the bottom of a hill--jerks. Overall, I did pretty well maintaining pace and power outputs. About half way back after the turn around I realized more chamois cream would have been nice. And just after the hilly bit, as I entered Saranac I did a little dangerous pass on the right of three cars and a cyclist (I passed her on the left) because the bike sag vehicle was training a cyclist going about 12mph and wasn't getting over to let people pass and was blocking a pass to the left ( I would have had to cross into oncomming traffic, if there was any, I don't think there was, but it is against the rules to cross). I think I did it as carefully as possible, but it was still probably illegal. Thankfully, the sag vehicle didn't have a race official in it.

Also had the issue where the tube for my hydration system curled up a bit and it seemed like it was empty when I really had about 10oz of infinit left in the bottle. I need to fix that, because I need my nutrition!

reapply chamois cream in T1
get speedfil tube flattened out

Not much else to do but embrace the suck that was this ride.
Transition 2
  • 04m 11s
Comments:

Overall, T2 went pretty well. I was able to run to the rack, although after that ride my legs didn't really feel like they wanted to run all that much. I racked my bike and took a minute to put body glide on my feet to prevent blisters. I should have put some on my thighs too, because the chafe was bad after mile 10 or so. All else went pretty smoothly

Body glide thighs!
Run
  • 2h 54m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I was actually really happy with this run, although my stomach wasn't. I ran th entire first two miles, then started doing a bit more conservative with running on the flats, downhills, and the slower grade uphills and walking the steep uphills. That was working for me and I was surprised at how long I actually felt good. I was able to drink infinit for the first five miles, then I didn't want it anymore. My stomach was starting to act up again. I tried the gatorade (watermelon) and pepsi, but mostly stuck with water and ice. At the turn around there is a short segment that goes through a park on a gravel path. It rained the night before, so the path was a bit soft and it was rocky, so I walked that whole segment (~0.75 mile) even though it was flat. I didn't want to risk a turned ankle and I needed a bit of a break. I was putting ice down my bra and in my hat to keep cool. It seemed to be working, perhaps a bit too well, because near the end I started to get cold. Around mile 10 I realized my inner thighs were starting to chafe. Wish I would have put more body glide on in T2. At the mile 11 aid station my stomach violently rejected the gatorade--never barfed during a race, so that was new and not as much fun as you would think! I got caught at mile 10 by the first place finisher in my division. Her run is good, so I knew that I wouldn't be able to catch her. I was still gunning for a sub-3hr finish though, even though I missed my target pace overall (which was very aggressive for the distance, for me!)

Body glide thighs in T2
Try not to barf
maybe not walk the turn around segment, but it would depend on the conditions

Post race
Warm down:

Not much. I crossed the finish line and went to get my medals and some food. I had a very melty ice cream bar and then some pulled pork, served on a "plate" made out of a box flap. They ran out of plates because the wind kept blowing them away.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definitely my stomach was a factor today in at least the bike and the run.

The weather was also pretty brutal on the bike

Event comments:

This is an amazing race! It is well-organized, well-run, and the community support is fantastic. You'll never go wrong with a Tri4Health race.

Last updated: 2024-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:53 | 2112 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 109/
Performance: Average
2:07/100y according to garmin
Suit: wetsuit
Course: one large triangle, but you couldn't see the far buoy from the start, so it was a bit tricky. Had to get around an outcrop into the river before you could see where you were really supposed to be going
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:15:41 | 56 miles | 17.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 103/
Performance: Average
avg speek 17.2 mph; average power 155 (normalized 167)
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: out and back with a fairly flat first 15 miles, then a hilly segment of about 6 miles, then rolling hills to the turn around and reverse.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 79-
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:54:31 | 13.1 miles | 13m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 138/
Performance: Good
overall average 13:29 avg hr 153
Course: two loop out and back with a couple of little offshoots
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2024-06-10 10:43 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: Grand Rapids Triathlon - Half Iron Course

2024-06-10 6:02 PM
in reply to: #5288899

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Grand Rapids Triathlon - Half Iron Course
Well done on toughing it through a challenging day.

And congratulations (I suppose) on popping your barfing cherry
2024-06-11 9:45 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Grand Rapids Triathlon - Half Iron Course

I know you're disappointed in the time results, but that's a another good race for you.  Ugh - puking during the race...that sucks. 

Nice double this weekend!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Rapids Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Grand Rapids Triathlon

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 110 Posts: 4

2024-06-10 5:56 PM bulfrog

Baltimore Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 751 Posts: 7

2023-12-07 12:31 AM Funmi Looi Somoye

Goleta Beach Triathlon - Long Course

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 493 Posts: 1