General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » One Sprint, Next up Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2024-08-22 7:49 AM

User image

Subject: One Sprint, Next up Olympic
Hi everyone. I am 39 and currently live in a mix of Montana and Arizona. I finished a sprint triathlon back in February and am eying an Olympic in March. Looking forward to learning more about different training programs and other people's approaches and goals.

The thing I'm most concerned about my abilities for is running. I ran a half marathon MANY YEARS ago, I took about 10 years off due to what I thought was a knee completely incompatible with running, but after some rehab I am back and now the thing stopping me from hitting my distance goals are my IT bands. I'm yet to eclipse 4 miles. Can't these dang things just be removed?? If anyone has any tips that worked for them I'm all ears. I've tried.......a lot. But maybe I haven't been consistent enough.

2024-08-22 8:15 AM
in reply to: Alecia

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: One Sprint, Next up Olympic

Welcome, Alecia.  Ugh those IT bands.  Other than foam rolling, hip exercises, and yoga poses like pigeon I don't have much there.  Glad you're able to run again - I was also told my an ortho my running days were over like 13 years ago and while I'm not running any half marys again, I'm still at it.  Good luck!

2024-08-22 2:58 PM
in reply to: Alecia

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: One Sprint, Next up Olympic

Welcome aboard. 

IT band issues affect a lot of people.  I never suffered much. 

When do you stretch?  How much do you stretch and are you doing IT specific stretches?  People often make the mistake of stretching before running.  Make sure you do a LOT of stretching after you run, when your muscles are warm. 

Are you wearing the right shoes for your gait?  If you haven't, go to a store that specializes in running.  They should be able to watch you run (even a little) and guide you towards the right shoe design.  Back when I ran a lot, I'd go through 4 pairs/year and usually had 3 pairs in rotation.  I was lucky enough to get by running in just about anything (Reebok, NewBalance, Adidas, Saucony, Asics) and the variation probably helped keep me from building a pronounced muscle memory which can contribute to IT band pain. 

Have you tried trail running?  Softer impact (usually) and varied terrain to help keep things stretched out.  Your IT issues may be aggravated by other tightness in your legs. 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » One Sprint, Next up Olympic Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

37 years old, learning to swim and working toward my first "real" triathlon next month

Started by jcgoble3
Views: 2435 Posts: 5

2024-04-15 5:20 PM jcgoble3