General Discussion Triathlon Talk » smashed thumb ... how soon back in the pool? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2024-06-07 8:14 AM

User image

Subject: smashed thumb ... how soon back in the pool?
Hey fellow crazy people. I decided it would be a good idea to smash my thumb in the car door after getting home from the gym this morning. Nothing broken, thankfully, but the nail is probably toast. With that, medical question for the hivemind - how soon before I should consider getting back in the pool? Wait until Monday? Late next week?

2024-06-07 9:18 AM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: smashed thumb ... how soon back in the pool?

First and foremost:  Is there an open wound?
Two parts to this, the first being introducing any of *your* blood into the pool. 
Second being the risk of infection for bathing your wound in the unknown pool environment. 

After that, it's a question of comfort and whether swimming puts pressure on that very angry part of your anatomy. 

2024-06-07 9:50 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Yeah, the nailbed is a bit leaky, so I'll probably keep it to myself for a few days. No one needs my blood in the pool, and I'm good with NOT getting anything in there to risk infection.

*sigh* just when my swimming was getting dialed in again. LOL!
2024-06-07 12:59 PM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan Yeah, the nailbed is a bit leaky, so I'll probably keep it to myself for a few days. No one needs my blood in the pool, and I'm good with NOT getting anything in there to risk infection. *sigh* just when my swimming was getting dialed in again. LOL!

I always seems to happen that way, right?  I agree on staying out of the water a few days, then maybe you could Tagederm the thing once it's a little better but not still fully healed. 

2024-06-10 7:24 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Visited with my doctor Friday evening and he confirmed - no swimming until the nail bed is healed up. I will probably lose the entire nail too. Thankfully, it is not impacting the bike or run training. Strength training is out, though.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » smashed thumb ... how soon back in the pool? Rss Feed