General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reflections on a First Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-11 7:06 PM

Veteran
Indiana
Subject: Reflections on a First Tri

1. Everyone should do something, on a semi-regular basis, that offers an occasion for their family to cheer for them. Today has been one of the nicest days of my life: I’ve been basking in the support and adulation of my wife and kids. I know I won’t be the Family Hero forever, but it’s an awfully warm and pleasing way to spend a day.

2. For a group of self-absorbed hypercompetitive adrenaline junkies, triathlon people are amazingly nice. For someone who has been operating near the limits of their cardiopulmonary capacity to spare enough breath to say “you’re doing great!” or “keep it up!” is something. When you’re that short of breath, words aren’t just talk. Same thing goes for giving a bottle of water to the guy who forgot to put his hydration on his bike: thanks to whoever that was.

3. I’ve been blessed to have a great mentor/guru. The man who leads the spin class at my Y is an amazing coach and teacher, in addition to being an accomplished triathlete. I felt really strong on the bike today, and I know that is largely a product of those spin classes. Lots of invaluable advice and inspiration over the past couple years.

4. The swim bore only a vague resemblance to swimming laps in a pool. Probably only 30 or 40 percent of the time was I actually swimming the way I had practiced; freestyle, bilateral breathing, some semblance of reasonable rhythm and form. The other 70% was trying to swim sideways so I could get around the big guy in front of me who was slower than me (but not enough slower to make it easy to pass him), bobbing my head up and down trying to get some idea whether I was headed in the right direction, freaking out when a big stick was right in my face and looking

a lot like a snake, and so on.

5. I paced myself just about right. I went strong right to the end, but when I was done, I was done.

6. Practicing the bike-run brick was worthwhile, because when I got off the bike and tried to run, and found I could barely move my legs, it was good to know that thenear-paralysis thing is a temporary effect that goes away in about 90 seconds. If I hadn't known that, I might have despaired of finishing in the first 100 yards of the run.

7. The run was on woodland trails, and there had been rain lately. Kind of made me feel glad that my running shoes were due for retirement anyway, and almost made me feel sorry for the people with $700 carbon soled aero shoes. Almost.

8. OK, 34 mph is a bit faster than I like to be going on a bike when I hit a pot hole.

9. Two gear issues: I need a tri shirt that does not sandpaper my nipples off. I am not exaggerating. I also need a bike helmet that stays in the same place on my head. Fiddling around with one’s helmet at 15 mph on the Monon trail is OK; same thing at 30+ mph down a hill is scary.

2011-06-11 7:34 PM
in reply to: #3544107

User image

Veteran
Ironman Arizona via Surf City, USA
Subject: RE: Reflections on a First Tri
Way to go, triathlete!  sounds like you did just fine for your first one..  you will not make the same mistake of not having water on the bike again..  at least I hope not!  as far as sandpapering yer nipples, that is a common problem for guys..  you can use a bit of vaseline or get some "nipple guards"...  you can now get up off the floor from laughing..  they do exist for just that purpose..  it's a great feeling, isn't it?  all the doubts, and questions that were running thru yer mind.....  not any more...  now, find your next race and get your training plan set up.. off-road tris were never something I was interested in, but are just as impressive..  i started out with reverse sprint tris before jumping to oly distance, then HIM, then the biggie, IMAZ in 2009..  you are on the right track..  I cannot offer any help for you on your off-road questions, so I will leave that to others...

Congrats again and keep hangin in there...

Lori...  "Improvise, Overcome, Adapt....Heartbreak Ridge"

Edited by TriBabe2006 2011-06-11 7:35 PM
2011-06-11 8:25 PM

Extreme Veteran

Yay Alath!  Can't wait to read the race report!

I think your the 2nd of our group to complete their first tri.  Myself and a couple of others are on deck for next weekend!

2011-06-11 10:08 PM

User image

Pro

alath - 2011-06-11 7:06 PM

1. Everyone should do something, on a semi-regular basis, that offers an occasion for their family to cheer for them. Today has been one of the nicest days of my life: I’ve been basking in the support and adulation of my wife and kids. I know I won’t be the Family Hero forever, but it’s an awfully warm and pleasing way to spend a day.

2. For a group of self-absorbed hypercompetitive adrenaline junkies, triathlon people are amazingly nice. For someone who has been operating near the limits of their cardiopulmonary capacity to spare enough breath to say “you’re doing great!” or “keep it up!” is something. When you’re that short of breath, words aren’t just talk. Same thing goes for giving a bottle of water to the guy who forgot to put his hydration on his bike: thanks to whoever that was.

3. I’ve been blessed to have a great mentor/guru. The man who leads the spin class at my Y is an amazing coach and teacher, in addition to being an accomplished triathlete. I felt really strong on the bike today, and I know that is largely a product of those spin classes. Lots of invaluable advice and inspiration over the past couple years.

4. The swim bore only a vague resemblance to swimming laps in a pool. Probably only 30 or 40 percent of the time was I actually swimming the way I had practiced; freestyle, bilateral breathing, some semblance of reasonable rhythm and form. The other 70% was trying to swim sideways so I could get around the big guy in front of me who was slower than me (but not enough slower to make it easy to pass him), bobbing my head up and down trying to get some idea whether I was headed in the right direction, freaking out when a big stick was right in my face and looking

a lot like a snake, and so on.

5. I paced myself just about right. I went strong right to the end, but when I was done, I was done.

6. Practicing the bike-run brick was worthwhile, because when I got off the bike and tried to run, and found I could barely move my legs, it was good to know that thenear-paralysis thing is a temporary effect that goes away in about 90 seconds. If I hadn't known that, I might have despaired of finishing in the first 100 yards of the run.

7. The run was on woodland trails, and there had been rain lately. Kind of made me feel glad that my running shoes were due for retirement anyway, and almost made me feel sorry for the people with $700 carbon soled aero shoes. Almost.

8. OK, 34 mph is a bit faster than I like to be going on a bike when I hit a pot hole.

9. Two gear issues: I need a tri shirt that does not sandpaper my nipples off. I am not exaggerating. I also need a bike helmet that stays in the same place on my head. Fiddling around with one’s helmet at 15 mph on the Monon trail is OK; same thing at 30+ mph down a hill is scary.

Congrats, it really is a rush.I bet you can't wait to do it again!

Re 1: Did my first one two weeks ago and my family volunteered. I was so slow in the swim but had a much better than expected bike and run which threw my estimated finish time off, so they missed getting a picture of me sprinting at the end. My oldest son is going to be a chef, so he and the rest of my crew manned the post-race food tent. I was pretty proud of them and didn't mind missing the picture. Let me tell you how much people appreciated mango smoothies! We hung out afterwards and went fishing in the lake and caught a lot of fish, too!

Re 4: x2, nothing like the pool! No lily pads or mucky bottom.

Re 9: Body Glide is a wonderful thing. Or try NipGuards. They look funny but certainly better than bloody nipples.

Edited by moldoverb 2011-06-11 10:09 PM
2011-06-11 10:39 PM

Congrats. I feel that 90% of the people you are racing with,fast or slow, realize youre all in the same place

moving forward. The tri society allows you to never feel alone out there. So you are reasured throughout

especially after something goes wrong which it inevitably will. You put it all so well, as will I,

congratulations triathlete. When is your next one?

2011-06-12 12:21 AM

User image

Elite

Congrats, thanks for the experience. I have my first sprint next weekend followed by a oly and a half in Aug. I was just doing the sprint for training... but now realize it will be quite challenging just figuring all this stuff out.

So then explain... I have heard about the nipple problem... but that is why I thought all the tops are skin tight to avoid chafing. Is this the case.... do you still get rubbed in the skin tight can't breath tops??? I got a zoot ultra top to do races in, hopefully I won't have a problem... but would rather not find out the hard way.

Edited by powerman 2011-06-12 12:25 AM

2011-06-12 3:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Berlin, Germany

VERY NICE REPORT ......

and quite motivating as well. Way to go .... 

now I will bring my family as well to the Tri

Wink

2011-06-12 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3544377

Veteran
Indiana

powerman - 2011-06-12 1:21 AM So then explain... I have heard about the nipple problem... but that is why I thought all the tops are skin tight to avoid chafing. Is this the case.... do you still get rubbed in the skin tight can't breath tops??? I got a zoot ultra top to do races in, hopefully I won't have a problem... but would rather not find out the hard way.

I think this may be the problem. I got a tri top that was "semi-fitted" (ie, less skin tight than 'fitted'), but I was losing weight at the same time so it fits a lot looser now than when I got it. I will definitely be looking for a tighter fitting top before my next event.

2011-06-13 12:38 PM

I just finished my first TRI (Silicon Valley Sprint in San Jose). I'm 51 and finished towards the top of my age group in 2 hours (1/2 mile swim, 14 Mile Bike, 5K run). The swim was the fun part - thank god I could breast stroke fairly well.  The bike ride could have been easier - 700 foot climb meant walking some, and th 5K run was easy.  I'm sore 2 days later but contemplating doing the same tri at the end of July (California International Tri). It's easy to get the fever -)
2011-06-13 1:40 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
I love reading these. Makes the buildup for my first that much more exciting. Thanks for posting your experience! I'm hoping my first reflections are similar to yours! Great race!

Edited by mvanis 2011-06-13 1:43 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reflections on a First Tri Rss Feed