World Triathlon Corporation
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 33m 12s
Overall Rank = 53/2492
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/191
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before the alarm, ate my 3 pancakes with tons of syrup (partially because they were kinda dry). Made the short walk from hotel to transition, dropping Bike Personal Needs on the way. Added nutrition to the bike and transition bags, got the tires pumped to about 60psi. Went back to the hotel to lay down for a few minutes, then got changed. When leaving for the swim start, of course it was raining. Wouldn't be IMLP without rain at some point (despite the perfect forecast all week). Met up with friends for some well wishes.
Event warmup:

Short swim to make sure suit was comfortable. Made our way to the start, I opted to line up just behind the 60 minute sign.
Swim
  • 1h 05m 21s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty solid swim here. Given how up and down it's been this season, I'll take the result. Pretty good rhythm first loop, not too much contact, had some draft opportunities, and generally just felt good. Came out at 32. Second loop much more challenging, as right away was running into people on their first loop. Was really hard to find consistent space, even on the inside of the cable. Did my best to weave without adding too much time, drafting much more difficult.

I would say they need to get everyone in the water quicker, I'm sure the BOPers hated it more than me.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe starting a little further up would've given me some faster draft opportunities, but can't complain too much.
Transition 1
  • 05m 18s
Comments:

Nothing spectacular here. Love the wetsuit strippers. Made my way quickly down to transition, no issues finding my bags. Dried my feet well and grabbed all my loop one nutrition. Found my bike right away, and off to the mount line. Took two tries to clip in, but not much time lost.

Not sure why I've lost confidence doing a flying mount these days... maybe should practice some.
Bike
  • 5h 14m 32s
  • 112 miles
  • 21.36 mile/hr
Comments:

I cannot believe how fast this was. I figured if I could hold my goal 193W, I'd be between 5:30-5:45. Blew that away.

First time down Keene it was soaked, so that was a bit nerve racking, but after that the weather cleared up, and it was a really nice day. Settled into the pace, which felt firm, but appropriate. I was nailing my nutrition plan (full intake on Strava). Being cold at the beginning, maybe I didn't need so much fluids (urinated a lot), but matched the sodium so I tried not to worry about it. Somewhere around 550g carbs for the ride. Once it warmed up I was spraying myself with water at every aid station. Able to hold aero pretty much the entire time I wanted to.

When I got to BPN, I couldn't believe the time, and was worried I was overcooking it. But I was 1 watt off from my target, so I just had to trust the training and go with it. Saw Liam heading to Van Ho, did not expect to pass him on the bike, so I knew I was having a day. Things started feeling not great around mile 90, again worrying me, but I reminded myself it’s Ironman, you always feel like shit by mile 90.

So happy climbing the Bears and heading back to town to finish up. By far the most fun I've ever had on this course.

Power = 192/200
TSS = 273.2

Nothing. Couldn't have dreamt up a better bike ride.
Transition 2
  • 03m 28s
Comments:

Happy not to cramp getting off bike (you never know until you're off). Got shoes on and made sure the tongue wasn't bunched up (common issue with the Vaporflys). Had hat, nutrition, and sunscreen in hand running out, so I could deal with all that on the go.

Nothing, very good transition here.
Run
  • 3h 04m 33s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming out of transition I quickly calculated a 3:30 would do it for sub-10… but I didn’t come here to run a 3:30. My entire training was focused on being able to drop a devastating marathon on this day, so that's what I set out to do.

Once down the hills, I settled into my pace. It was hard, but I felt very in tune with my body and what it could handle, so we kept it going. Had to be smart about nutrition, as stomach wasn't accepting large amounts of carbs anymore. Got in 9 Clif Blocks, one PF Gel (I think), and took water and Mortal at most aid stations, adding in Cola during the second half. As the miles rolled on, it certainly began to hurt, but in a manageable way.

Getting age group updates from the Empire tent was exciting, I was chewing through the field. Got emotional at times, even pretty far from the finish, had to keep that in check until I actually got there.

Hitting the oval was just incredible. Couldn't believe the performance I had. Soaked it up, high fived everyone, and let Mike Reilly call me in!

Absolutely nothing, this was incredible!
Post race
Warm down:

Got my shoes off right away, my feet were really hurting the last few miles. Tried not to sit down immediately, knowing I wouldn't get up again. Had a couple sodas and ate some salty food. Waited for Joe and Liam to finish and loved sharing the moment with those two.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing - blew away expectations!!

Event comments:

Such a beautiful course. Nothing like Ironman. Undecided if I want to take a break from IMLP after this performance... time will tell.

Last updated: 2024-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:05:21 | 4224 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/191
Overall: 239/2492
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Clockwise in lovely Mirror Lake - two loops
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:14:32 | 112 miles | 21.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/191
Overall: 75/2492
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops in the beautiful Adirondacks. New addition of a loop in Jay this year, which added some elevation to the course, but was also really nice roads and great scenery.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:04:33 | 26.2 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/191
Overall: 27/2492
Course: Two loops of three different out and backs, another new change this year. They added an out and back by the golf course to Northwoods when you come back to town, instead of going so far out on River Road. This also added a little bit of elevation, but I liked the change.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2024-07-24 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
Subject: Ironman Lake Placid

2024-07-24 1:25 PM
in reply to: #5289419

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid

Really well-executed IM - congrats on 2nd in AG!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Lake Placid Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Spirit of White Bear Lake

Started by stevestenzel
Views: 646 Posts: 1

2024-04-20 7:42 PM stevestenzel

Ironman Boulder

Started by coxma22
Views: 380 Posts: 1

2023-12-10 1:35 PM coxma22