General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wife asked an interesting question... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-01-18 5:55 PM
in reply to: #4585259

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Wife asked an interesting question...
GoFaster - 2013-01-18 4:04 PM

Wish I could ride a 5:15 on that IF...

Serious question.  How did you determine the TSS score to hit for the IM?  Was this based on past races and your ability to run, or something else.  Also curious what % you would aim for in an HIM and what TSS that factors out to.

I don't chase a TSS number during the race because that is potentially a very stupid thing to do but I do pay very close attention to it during training.  The number came from experience, race and training guidance from the EN guys, some trial and error, playing with the equation numbers and some articles I have read.

For a HIM I try to am for 85% FTP and usually come in around 83-84%.  My last HIM (Syracuse 70.3) was 84.4% with a TSS of 171.  A couple months earlier I had done the Texas 70.3 at 82.8% with a TSS of 168.

2013-01-18 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4585271

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
kmac1346 - 2013-01-18 4:12 PM
GMAN 19030 - 2013-01-18 1:57 PM

kmac1346 - 2013-01-18 11:14 AM

If you can generate sufficient training stress in 4.5 hours, why not do that and take less time with less negative impact on the body, correct?  And I mean this as an honest question, how would you recommend getting ready to do 4.5 hours at a stress sufficient to generate that kind of training stress?

To be honest... accomplishing that is far more difficult without a power meter and so much so that I don't even know how to answer that question or quantify it in HR or RPE terms.  I can talk power centric stuff all day long but I know my limitations with dispensing HR or RPE advice so I'll let someone more knowledgeable than me in those areas address that issue.

For the sake of reference related to power...

TSS (Training Stress Score) is a quantifiable measure of intensity and duration.  So you can plug in some variables within the TSS equation to get the math to work for a given parameter.

TSS equation = (seconds x NP x IF)/(FTP x 3600) x 100

For arguments sake, let's say that my TSS for my last IM was 250 and my FTP was 300 and my bike ride was 5:15 and my IF was .69 (69% FTP) which made my NP 207.

I can drop the time from 18900 seconds (5:15 in seconds) to 4:15 and figure out what NP and IF numbers I need to get to a TSS of 250.  Basically, I would have to ride at about 230 watts (almost 77% FTP) for 4:15 to achieve the "same workout" as riding 207 watts for 5:15.

Make sense?

That does make sense.   Now, I know that this next question is going to get dangerously close to another topic that has been beaten to death in other treads, but if your goal for the workout is to get to a TSS of 250 (or x for any particular rider), where would you think that the increase in intensity and shortening the duration starts to not paying sufficient return?  While riding for a certain duration at 100% FTP/IF of 1.0 would give the same TSS, at some point I think you need a certain time in the saddle.  So, to try and give some guidance to the OP and for my increased knowledge, why is 4:15 the long ride that you have chosen in this example?  Why not 4:00 or 3:45 at a higher intensity?

I guess the way I was looking at it (without perhaps knowing it, or being right) was getting to a higher TSS through increasing the duration.

I'm not sure where the tipping point would be as far as when does intensity+shorter duration start to not work in one's favor when it comes to prepping for a certain distance.  I choose to do 4:15 or 4:30 rides because that's about all I can handle while riding at 75-77% FTP.  Without crunching the numbers, I'm going to assume a 3:45 ride would require riding well over 80% to get to that 250 TSS number.  That would be one brutal workout.  There's no denying that "a$$ in the saddle time" is an important factor in all this. I just kind of use goal time minus one hour for most of my long bike rides and my experience seems to get the math to work out for an approximate TSS.  I wouldn't suggest that a 6:30 IM cyclist do only 4:30 rides.  I can suck it up for an extra hour or 45 min on race day.  I wouldn't want to suck it up for another two hours and neither should they.

You can certainly get to a higher TSS with increased duration.  Increasing anything in that numerator will accomplish that.  I'm just a firm believer in training with intensity for shorter amounts of time vs the old school LSD-style approach to things.  I'd just as soon do the thing that gets me the training I need in the shortest amount of time and gets me off that damn bike seat.  I don't want to train more than 13 hours/week for an IM or 10 hours/week for a HIM.  That's all I'm willing to commit to this dumb hobby of ours. Smile

2013-01-18 10:59 PM
in reply to: #4584151

Master
Northern IL
GMAN 19030 - 2013-01-18 9:00 AM 

You're now kind of saying something different than what I responded to.  You stated you were going to ride for eight hours.  Now you're basically saying the eight hour bike ride will be used to somehow simulate a 1:00S/6:00B/1:00R.  An eight hour bike ride is in no way equivalent to a 1:00 swim, 6:00 bike and 1:00 run, especially if you're trying to simulate or replicate nutrition.  Why not just do a 1:00S/6:00B/1:00R as opposed to an 8:00 bike?  Nutritional screw-ups aren't going to manifest itself on a slow 8:00 bike ride like it would if you did a 6:00 bike and 1:00 run at IM pace.  I could take in 500 cal/hour just riding my bike and not have any ill effects.  I couldn't do that on the bike during a tri and expect to run after.  Trust me, I tried that once.  Would you like to see my hospital bills after that experiment went horribly wrong? Laughing

You're right, there's no exact science as to when nutritional snafus are going to rear their ugly head on the run but I'm sure you've read some race reports in which people have had gut problems and the vast majority of those people knew they were in distress very early in the run.  Could it happen 2 hours into the run?  3 hours into the run?  4 hours into the run?  Sure.  Are you going to run for three hours after a training ride to see if that happens?  Nope, at least I hope not.  You can't simulate or replicate every race day scenario.  My point stands that super long days (especially those with runs) have a recovery hole that is often overlooked and not properly appreciated.

Yes, I'm assuming an 8:00 bike ride is slogging along in Z1.  It has to be.  You may have had moments in which you were riding out of Z1 (like on the climbs you mentioned) but the overall workout wasn't out of Z1.  I'd love to see a power file telling me otherwise because it's highly improbable that a MOP AG'er can ride out of Z1 for eight hours.  I'm FOP on the bike and I know I couldn't do it.

You mention you need more bike fitness.  There's other ways to accomplish that which don't involve spending eight hours in the saddle.  I'm just thinking of your comfort, bro. Cool

Getting back to the nutrition, are you able to quantify at all how much the additional intensity in your long training rides are able to help expose nutritional issues? Even though I'll do 100 mile rides, I only go up to HIM for races, so am not quite sure how much it will translate to this. Just that with more intensity it becomes a bit more difficult to take on food. 

2013-01-19 12:02 AM
in reply to: #4584979

User image

Marvarnett - 2013-01-18 12:00 PM
GoFaster - 2013-01-18 2:39 PM

I've never done an IM either - hence I like reading the responses in this thread.  But IMO, a Z1/2 pace IS your IM run pace, and recovery after running 2 hours at that pace following a long ride is going to take a while (days).

We have a winner folks!

You guys never disappoint, thanks!!!

2013-01-19 1:27 AM
in reply to: #4585630

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
brigby1 - 2013-01-18 10:59 PM
GMAN 19030 - 2013-01-18 9:00 AM 

You're now kind of saying something different than what I responded to.  You stated you were going to ride for eight hours.  Now you're basically saying the eight hour bike ride will be used to somehow simulate a 1:00S/6:00B/1:00R.  An eight hour bike ride is in no way equivalent to a 1:00 swim, 6:00 bike and 1:00 run, especially if you're trying to simulate or replicate nutrition.  Why not just do a 1:00S/6:00B/1:00R as opposed to an 8:00 bike?  Nutritional screw-ups aren't going to manifest itself on a slow 8:00 bike ride like it would if you did a 6:00 bike and 1:00 run at IM pace.  I could take in 500 cal/hour just riding my bike and not have any ill effects.  I couldn't do that on the bike during a tri and expect to run after.  Trust me, I tried that once.  Would you like to see my hospital bills after that experiment went horribly wrong? Laughing

You're right, there's no exact science as to when nutritional snafus are going to rear their ugly head on the run but I'm sure you've read some race reports in which people have had gut problems and the vast majority of those people knew they were in distress very early in the run.  Could it happen 2 hours into the run?  3 hours into the run?  4 hours into the run?  Sure.  Are you going to run for three hours after a training ride to see if that happens?  Nope, at least I hope not.  You can't simulate or replicate every race day scenario.  My point stands that super long days (especially those with runs) have a recovery hole that is often overlooked and not properly appreciated.

Yes, I'm assuming an 8:00 bike ride is slogging along in Z1.  It has to be.  You may have had moments in which you were riding out of Z1 (like on the climbs you mentioned) but the overall workout wasn't out of Z1.  I'd love to see a power file telling me otherwise because it's highly improbable that a MOP AG'er can ride out of Z1 for eight hours.  I'm FOP on the bike and I know I couldn't do it.

You mention you need more bike fitness.  There's other ways to accomplish that which don't involve spending eight hours in the saddle.  I'm just thinking of your comfort, bro. Cool

Getting back to the nutrition, are you able to quantify at all how much the additional intensity in your long training rides are able to help expose nutritional issues? Even though I'll do 100 mile rides, I only go up to HIM for races, so am not quite sure how much it will translate to this. Just that with more intensity it becomes a bit more difficult to take on food. 

I don't run after my long rides so I really don't pay attention to nutrition in the same way I would for a race.  I pretty much just take in a similar amount of calories and electrolytes that I would during an IM. I'm fairly certain if I tried to run afterward that I would have some GI issues but I'm not running so I don't really care all that much.

2013-01-19 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4581988

User image

Pro
Burbs
Re: doing race "simulations" to figure out nutrition .. I don't think it will work. You can't match in training the adrenaline, nerves, excitement, etc that happens to your body on race day. I trained for my IM ride with 3 payday bars (to eat every couple of hours) along with my Infinit, and the thought of them on race day made me ill. I didn't touch them during my race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wife asked an interesting question... Rss Feed  

of 4