General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 2 Robina (Aust) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 2 Robina (Aust) - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Brisbane, QLD
Australia
26C / 79F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 01m
Overall Rank = 292/441
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 44/72
Pre-race routine:

Packed my kit the night before and put my bike on my brand new bike carrier. Went to bed early but my mind was racing trying to ensure I hadn't forgotten to pack something (my kit seems to be getting smaller with every tri I go to, don't know why). Woke up a few times during the night but felt ready to race when I eventually got up.

Had an energy bar about an hour before race start and sipped on some water. Tried to stay out of the sun as much as possible as we were one of the last waves to go off. Shared some important trash talk with my buddies about who was going to kick who's butt.
Event warmup:

I was late into the water so I didn't stretch at all which was a bit silly *note for next time, less chat with buddies, more stretching.
Swim
  • 08m 44s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was over in a flash. As I mentioned earlier I got into the water late with only 30 seconds to go before the start but that got the adrenalin going so it was good in the end. I tried to get close to the front of the pack and at the start a few people swum over me but nothing more then usual. I felt it was better to be at the front of the pack for the start and being able to spot the buoys and see where I was going rather then starting from behind and having my vision blocked.
What would you do differently?:

Keep working on my sprint swimming training for these distance Tri's. Do some swim training with my head out of the water pretending to spot marker buoys

Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 32m 21s
  • 15 kms
  • 27.82 km/hr
Comments:

I was able to cycle around the course with 3 other cyclists (we weren't drafting of course.... well maybe a little) and this encouraged me to keep up with them and in the end keep a good pace. The looped course enabled me to keep an eye on my buddies progress. They have both recently splashed out and bought new flash bikes with carbon fibre this and carbon fibre that but I'm still able to beat them on my vintage steel pushie (if this sounds like jealousy, it is).

Practise putting shoes on as I'm riding my bike. At the moment I'm putting them on in T1 and possibly wasting time.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 19m 55s
  • 4 kms
  • 04m 59s  min/km
Comments:

My run is improving as my general fitness improves and the voices that i could hear shouting out in my head "STOP STOP!!" are slowly becoming quieter. Need to improve my pace at the start of the run and I still can't run and have a drink of water without spilling most of it down my front so this is something to work on.

Incorporate into my training some brick sessions by going for a run after some cycle training. Hopefully this will improve my pace at the start of the run. Practise drinking water out of a small plastic cup while running (how silly is this going to look)
Post race
Warm down:

Did some stretching while drinking some Gatorade and water, ate some oranges as well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My general fitness but this is improving the more a train.

Event comments:

Overall I really enjoyed the race and managed to beat my mates. My times are decreasing as is my recovery time after the race. I'm looking forward to training next week and the next race which is in about 4 weeks time.

Last updated: 2004-11-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:44 | 400 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 52/72
Overall: 332/441
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out to two bouys and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:21 | 15 kms | 27.82 km/hr
Age Group: 39/72
Overall: 273/441
Wind: Some
Course: The cycle was 3 laps totalling 15km (although my bike computer said it was 16kms).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:55 | 04 kms | 04m 59s  min/km
Age Group: 47/72
Overall: 306/441
Course: Two laps of a 2km loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-11-21 8:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 2 Robina (Aust)

2004-11-21 11:45 PM
in reply to: #85256

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 2 Robina (Aust)
Congrats on a great race - your report was fun to read!
Your run time was very good - imagine if / when those voices start saying "go go!" you will be faster than a speeding bullet!
I look forward to hearing about race 3!
Good work!
M
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 2 Robina (Aust) Rss Feed