General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Type 1 Diabetes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-02-08 12:31 AM
in reply to: #1147607

Veteran
Subject: RE: Type 1 Diabetes

Sorry to chime in so late after you posted. Type 1 here. First off, diabetes is something that can be managed and you can live a long fulfilling life just like anyone else. The key is early education and tight glucose control. I am a critical care nurse and I see way too many people in their 30's blind, on dialysis, and having heart attacks just because they lacked the proper knowledge to take care of themselves or just didn't didn't care during the early stages of the disorder. Diabetes is tricky because you dont see the harsh effects of uncontrolled blood sugars until later in life. Be smart, educate and take care of yourself early. Fear of the diabetes complications always puts me in check with staying as healthy as possible.

As a nurse I would recommend holding back a bit on your training because in this initial time your doctors and dietians are looking to find out your baseline insulin and nutrition regimin. This is a lifelong condition/battle and the early stages of knowing what your body needs and how it reacts to certain foods is important. This is the trail and error stage. Doing long endurace exercising while adjusting medications and carb/calorie intake may through a wrench in things. Exercise is something that can greatly affect the adjustments for how your body will require food and insulin. Then when this is established start gradually get into exercising and adjustments can be made from there. I agree that right now light moderate exercise is still good but nothing like endurance training this soon.

However if you are like me I would not even take my own advice. I have the attitude that diabetes will not control my life, but I will control my diabetes. If this is the case, I  suggest going through the trial and error process and learn how your body reacts to certain foods and exercises. When and what to eat and/or take insulin. When doing this frequent blood sugar checks is a must because you don't want to be cruising on your bike at 20+ mph with a blood sugar of 40. Soon it will become second nature. This is something you have to deal with your whole life. It is best to absorb as much as you can early on.

2008-02-18 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Bucks County
pumpers - a young triathlete has a question about working out with a pump:
http://community.diabetes.org/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&w...

Edited by Joe_h 2008-02-18 3:21 PM
2008-02-25 11:47 AM

User image

Valdosta, Ga

Yes, Stress, Being Sick, and Not Sleeping will all make your blood sugar go up and difficult to make it come back down.

I'm a type 2 so the tricks I have found probably won't work for you, but have found I absolutely need a small snack right before and right after any workout. Also a low carb diet is the only thing I have found that has really given me any control over my blood sugar.

The most important thing and this goes for type 1 and 2, monitor your sugar constantly. Keep in mind that during training season your body weight and composition is going to change, and as such suddenly the dosage of your meds/insulin changes too. Suddenly your standard dose is too much! I've had that happen and it is not fun.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Type 1 Diabetes Rss Feed  

of 2