General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Type 1 Diabetes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-01-10 9:55 AM

User image

Subject: Type 1 Diabetes
Hi everyone, I'm 19 years old and have completed several half marathons and have recently began training for my first triathlon. Recently i hit a small setback and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to maintain blood glucose levels while training?

Thanks for the help,
mouse

2008-01-10 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1147607

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Subject: RE: Type 1 Diabetes

mouseman - 2008-01-10 9:55 AM Hi everyone, I'm 19 years old and have completed several half marathons and have recently began training for my first triathlon. Recently i hit a small setback and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to maintain blood glucose levels while training? Thanks for the help, mouse

I am going to assume that you are on a regimen of Lantus and Humalog or Novalog.  Do you take your lantus at night or in the morning?  Do you train at a certain time of day? 

Under any circumstance, it is going to be an extremely individual answer for the way that your body burns calories.  I will assume that since you are late onset type 1, you are a taller, slender person with a pretty high metabolism.  What is your current calorie intake per day?  Do you count carbs?  You will obviously need something with a good amount of carbs on longer training days, preferably complex carbs, so it takes your body a while to run through them.  Let me know the answers to these questions and I will try to help (by PM if you prefer).

2008-01-11 2:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi mouse, welcome to the sweet life of diabetics

I´ve had DM1 for almost 8 years now, and I call tell you it won´t stop you from achieveing your dreams in sports or with anything, I went 8h50 in an Ironman and qualifyed to Hawaii as a professional triathlete, all with diabetes by my side.

Of course it takes more care, and attention with food, schedules, training hours, training intensity, but listen to your body, learn with yourself and you will develop a good sense on how to train/race and have diabetes under control.

To answer your questions, I would need to know many small and specifics details such as:
-What kind, how much and when you take your insulin
-Training Intensity
-Training volume
-What levels you get before training
-When do you train
-what you eat before/during training

check www.geocities.com/triathlondiabetes for my website as an diabetic athlete

All the best,
Vinnie

2008-01-11 1:29 PM

User image

Hey all,
I was diagnosed on tuesday of this week so right now me and my doctors are just trying to get my glucose under control. They've started me on humalog, 10 units before each meal and im taking 20 units of lantus at around 10pm. As far as carbs go i'm trying to stick to 75 carbs/meal to match the humalog. I've only tried one/two workouts since and ive been really weak and glucose so far has been kind of all over the map. THis eventually levels out right?

Thank you very much for all the help :D Its great to know there are other people out there trying to do the same thing
2008-01-11 11:09 PM
in reply to: #1150689

User image

Veteran
Whoa! last Tuesday?? You said recent but I thought it was few weeks or months ago… Ok, so, first thing is to calm down, then I suppose you are already reading a lot about diabetes, its very important to get an overall idea on Diabetes, so everything that will happen with you will make sense and won´t get you by surprise.

There are quite a few successful athletes with Diabetes out there, Olympic Gold Medal Swimmer Gary Hall comes to my mind, there is Oly Gold rower Steve Redgrave, another Canadian guy who won silver in rowing at PAM AM games, and recently I read about a pro cyclist who rides for saunier duval, so as I said before, it will take time to adjust to the new routine, but it can be done, that´s for sure.

I use a very similar method with a Basal insulin and humalog before meals. Your levels will get under control within a few days specially if in those first days you stick with the meal the doctor prescribed, soon you will get more flexibility on what and how much to eat. In few weeks you will experience the “HoneyMoon” read about that, your body still does produce a bit of insulin, but will slowly stop, so for the next 3-6 months, you won´t need much insulin as “older” diabetics need, after the HoneyMoon you will feel the need to increase your dosage to match the carbs you are having, but don´t worry about that for now, first get your levels under control, learn about diabetes and I know this is scarying at first, but its not as bad as it seems to be.

Feel free to write in my personal email: [email protected]

Hope that helps a bit, good luck,

Vinnie

2008-01-15 4:03 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Hey man, sorry to hear about the 'betes. I'm 22, and I'm type 1. I was diagnosed at age 9, and let me tell you, even in such a short period of time, the medicines and treatments have changed completely. I used to be on porcine insulin shots and it took 45 seconds to get a blood sugar reading...now I wear a tiny insulin pump and there's things that can read your blood sugar without a finger stick (if only insurance would cover them!). There's a ton of treatment options out there, and if you've got a good endocrinologist, they'll work with you to get you on one that you can deal with.

Right now, I take 38.5 units of humalog as a basal rate in my insulin pump. At meals, I take 20 u of a new-ish drug called Symlin (typically given to type 2's but my dr likes to experiment) by injection and a small bolus from the pump.

In regards to training, you've got to listen to your body. You're a brand new diabetic....have you had your first hypoglycemic episode yet? Those are noooo fun, but start to learn your symptoms. You can tell a lot about what your blood sugar is doing by how you're feeling, and those symptoms are a little different for each person (me? Mouth goes numb and hands get cold). That helps a lot in situations where your meter isn't right by you (and it should be as much as possible!, its no substitute for testing).

Keeping an accurate chart of your blood sugars before, during, and after exercise, along with a brief description of how that workout was can help you pre-plan. It also helps to tell your endo what's going on and what *exactly* you're doing.

The 'betes is one of the reasons I tri. Its frightening to think that not that long ago, this disease killed people, and it still does. I refuse to be one of those people that lets the 'betes own me, no matter how hard it seems sometimes (today was one of those). We're soooo close to a cure, and I fully intend to live to see that cure. Until then, I'm going to get my butt on the road to keep my butt out of the dialysis clinic.

There's a couple type 1's here, (Triabetic is, but I haven't seen him post lately) and there's a bunch of type 2's as well. You're not alone!

Edited by phoenixazul 2008-01-15 4:04 PM

2008-01-15 4:32 PM

User image

Expert
Bucks County
a type 2 checking in. get a meter and contact you doc about getting into a education program and that will help you control your sugars better (your health insurance should cover a lot of this). whenever training bring your meter and extra carbs (also learn the symptoms of low blood sugar - feeling dizzy/weak, shakes, blurred vision)
2008-01-15 9:34 PM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA

I am your best example f what happens if you do not take care of your diabetes and control it.  I was a stupid kid that thought I was invincible - by the time I realized I wasn't, it was far too late.  I was diagnosed Type 1 at age 21.  19 years later and I was in the hosptal after 3 years of dialysis to get a new kidney and pancreas.  It's a hard lesson to learn and that is the worst way to learn it.

See if your Dr. is willing to put you through a Hypoglycemic episode while being supervised.  My nurses did that to me without telling me when I was in the hospital after I recovered from my Ketoacidotic coma.  Yeah - good times.  It does help to know how you feel when they are coming on, however, and can save your life.  So can your friends.  Teach them what it is like and how you act.  Personally, if someone just set some OJ or sugared drink in front of me, I would pick it up and drink it and recover quickly.  If they tried to force me to do it - they had a pissed off former Marine on their hands.  Not sure why some people get violent about the whole thing - let's hope that you don't.  There are a lot of us around on BT.  Use us for support, encouragement, and questions.  None of us will think any question is dumb, since I am sure that we all have faced it at one time or another.

2008-01-21 12:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey mouseman!

Type II here....thank goodness you were diagnosed before something badly happened. There are a couple of diabetic triathletes here on this site that have been very helpful and I have located a few ironman distance triathletes that are diabetic.

Get your blood sugar under control first and then return to your athletic endeavors. I would think that your doctor will have you speak with a nutritionist. If not, request him/her to do so.

For your training, I'm unsure about Type I, but for me, nutrition was key. I have a Sports Nutritionist that I hired with my assistance. She has me on five small meals on a daily basis that is about 400 calories and consists of lean protein and carbs. The carbs are natural carbs in the morning (fruits/starchy) and transition to complex carbs (green veggies) in the later three meals. We worked for months on nailing my race nutrition and the important post nutrition. We actually tracked my blood sugar readings at 15 minute increments after a heavy workout and an olympic race. We watched my blood sugar go from 280 to 72 in a matter of 45 minutes (i.e. I was going hypoglycemic.....CRASHING!)

So AFTER you get your blood sugar under control, you will need to test, test, test.

Best of luck!
2008-01-21 2:48 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-01-21 10:18 AM

Veteran
Northern Virginia

Hey mouseman, I've been a type 1 for 24 yrs now.  I use an insulin pump with Apidra fast acting insulin for all my basals and boluses.  The insulin pump gives me much more freedom than I had with injections, IMO.  It looks like you've got a really great outlook on things since your diagnosis.  Don't let that change!  I feel like I can accomplish anything I want to, I just have to juggle a few more things than most people.  I competed in sports all the way through college and have stayed active since then finishing several triathlons, an adventure race and a marathon last year.  Anything is possible.

Great advice from all the posters above.  Be patient with yourself as you're learning all about this disease and how your body is going to respond to all the different variables in daily life and training.  For me, the best tools I've found for keeping my bs's in check while training is a small, quick glucose monitor, lots of bs checks before, during and after training, before and after eating, logs of all those bs's, and a knowledgeable endocriniologist and nutritionist to help fine tune your medicine/food. 

Always have a quick acting sugar source on hand for all workouts, too.  Let others know that you're diabetic and signs/symptoms of a low blood sugar episode.  I've found that GU gels work great for me if I start to go low during a long run/bike. 

Let us know how things are going for you.  I'll start checking in our your blog.  I'm open to questions anytime, as I'm sure the other posters are, too.   Ask away.  It has always been helpful to me to see how other people with this disease cope.  You're not alone!   

2008-01-22 12:03 AM
in reply to: #1167727

Veteran
Hey Mouse,

Give us an update buddy, how is it going? Are ou back into some training already? How is the BG levels going now?

Vinnie

2008-01-22 12:13 PM

Expert
Bucks County
slightly off topic saw these diabetic team vid today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYI1fe7RMzQ
2008-01-22 3:43 PM
in reply to: #1169064

Things are going ok today, a low this morning, i've been training for the last few days, but its no where near the intensity it was before christmas. I'm back in the pool and enjoying it. Running is the hardest thing because my endurance isn't quite back to where it used to be. Thank you guys so much for responding, it means a lot. THe glucose levels are fairly steady.. my doctor recommended that i try testing every hour while exercising until i get a feel for what my body does. Any suggestions other than that on how to control my levels during and especially after exercise? Also any snack ideas would be greatly appreciated (pre and post or just any snack)

Thanks,
Mouse

Edited by mouseman 2008-01-22 4:07 PM
2008-01-22 4:53 PM

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
My dr. is really on about the South Beach Diet bars, and they're not too bad. They work well as snack foods. The 100 calorie packs are good too, mainly because they're portioned nicely and you can fit them into your diet plan well (beware, some have a lot of sugar). I'm a huge fan of PB and J flips (easy on the PB, its got a lot of sugar, unless you use the natural stuff) and a little glass of milk. Graham crackers as well. The little lance crackers are tasty and easy to carry around as well. Its easy to forget about protein in a diabetic diet because its so carb obsessed (too many? too few? these carbs, those carbs, carb carbs carbs!), but protein is super important for athletes. I personally like a good bit of cheese and some crackers as a sack.

If you're doing fine BS wise and you just want something to nosh on, celery, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc are all great and fill you up and wont' raise your blood sugar throughout the day. Beware too many carrots, they're relatively "starchy".

Have you been put through the paces with a nutritionist?
2008-01-22 8:05 PM

Master
Plant City, FL

I'm not diabetic, my husband is type 1, I'm in the medical profession and deal with diabetes a ton.  Hubby was diagnosed at age 21 a few months before we got married (16 years ago). He went thru many hypoglycemic episodes which landed him in the hospital, until finally we met up with an awesome endocrinologist and he put him on the insulin pump.  He just completed Ironman Florida in November.

He has trouble regulating his sugar during tris.  During Ironman Florida he was 120 coming out of the swim, but quickly went to 350+ on the bike.  He had to stop every 30 minutes to check his sugar and adjust his bolus accordingly.  He came in from the bike at 115, but was low the entire run. It's a trial and error, so learn what works best for you.  Use the blogs here to document what you ate, where your sugar was, etc. 

As several others have said, feel free to contact me, and keep up posted on your progress!!

2008-01-23 7:52 AM
in reply to: #1170302

Expert
Bucks County
after workouts I go w/ something protein and carbs Peanut butter sandwiches are a fav but everyone is different and trial and error will help you find out what works for you. ask your doc for a referral for a diabetes education class and nutritionist. this help you a lot in learning on how to live with diabetes. glad you're back running keep it up!
2008-01-23 9:27 AM

Expert
Bucks County
found this paper on type 1 and exercise a long read but hope it helps:
http://www.insulinfactor.com/graphics/pdf/t1_diabetes_and_vigorous_...
2008-01-25 5:01 AM
in reply to: #1170302

Veteran
Hi mouseman,

Snacks: Before training I always try to go with something tha goes very gentle on your stomach, as diabetic, you will find yourself training on a fullinsh stomach A LOT, so I´ve always like a BIG cup of coffee and a toast or banana (or both if BG is low!).

After training, veggies, saladas, fruits, lean meat, I avoid startch, processed food, and carbs concentrated meals, etc, living in Brazil/Thailand has helped a lot too!

Don´t worry about the fitness, you will get it back soon, you will notice how much energy you have now that BG are in check,

Good Luck,
Vinnie

2008-01-25 11:47 AM
in reply to: #1158753

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
jdwright56 - 2008-01-15 9:34 PM

It does help to know how you feel when they are coming on, however, and can save your life.  So can your friends.  Teach them what it is like and how you act. 

I just want to reiterate how important this step can be, once you get settled into your routine and figure out the symptoms yourself.

My mom has been Type 1 since she was a teen, so I grew up looking for her symptoms and learned to know when she needed help. If you have kids, teach them to dial 911 when they see certain things.

I'll never forget the day my Dad took the phone off the hook and had my sister and I practice picking up the phone, dialing 911 and saying the words "My mommy is diabetic and is having a problem."

2008-01-29 12:42 AM

Pro
Irvine, California

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis of diabetes.  But as others have said, don't let it get you down too much.  Sure, it's a hassle, but it doesn't have to stop you from doing anything you put your mind to.

I'm type 2, so my diabetes doesn't require quite the finesse that a type 1 needs.  But it's very important to test your blood glucose really frequently when you first start training, or change anything in your training.  In my own case, I found that I have a strong tendency to go hypoglycemic while exercising.  I need to take in some calories every 25 minutes or so to avoid that.  I've tried a couple different gels, but Gu seems to work best for me.  It's pretty fast acting, and doesn't spike my blood sugar levels like others do.  Hammer gels caused huge spikes for me, for example, so I avoid them.

Good luck with your training, and keep us up to date on how you're doing!

2008-01-29 10:04 PM

Hey everybody
Just a general question about diabetes. I'm still on the learning curve and I was wondering if stress causes anyone elses blood sugars to go a little wonky? An answer to this question would be greatly appreciated (midterms are coming up... and so are a few sleepless nights)

Thanks in advance for the help

mouse
2008-01-29 10:56 PM
in reply to: #1182894

Pro
Irvine, California

mouseman - 2008-01-29 8:04 PM Hey everybody Just a general question about diabetes. I'm still on the learning curve and I was wondering if stress causes anyone elses blood sugars to go a little wonky? An answer to this question would be greatly appreciated (midterms are coming up... and so are a few sleepless nights) Thanks in advance for the help mouse

Absolutely, stress can affect your blood sugar!  When I'm under a lot of stress, my glucose readings will often go pretty high.

Basically, stress seems to trigger the body's fight-or-flight mechanism, and that raises blood sugars.  Here's a couple articles that discuss this in a little more detail:

http://www.diabetes.org/type-1-diabetes/stress.jsp

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=47115

2008-01-29 11:12 PM
in reply to: #1182940

Pro
Irvine, California

I feel like I should add a caveat:  just because stress can affect your blood sugar, and for many people (like me), it makes their blood sugar rise, don't just assume this will be the case for you!

The only way to really know what is true for you is to test, test, test.  During your upcoming exams and all-nighters, make it a point to test your glucose every couple hours to see how your body reacts.

2008-01-30 2:14 AM
in reply to: #1182894

Veteran
Hi Mouseman, good to see you are facing it OK and carrying on with everything else...

But you said "I´m still on a learning curve", I would say, we all are, and will be, everyday is a lesson, the difference is that once you start to understand diabetes better, you will have more opportunities to "pratice" what you have learned so far.

Good luck on the exams, what I actually found over those stressing periods, is that we tend to train less due to limited time, what will also change BG

Vinnie

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Type 1 Diabetes Rss Feed  

of 2