Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Get up early eat and drink something, nothing special
Run
  • 4h 25m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

After months of miles I took on my first marathon yesterday in Philly. We had over 7,000 runners. I am by no means a runner, in fact before I started doing triathlons I HATED running, I wouldn’t say I love running now, lets just say running and I are friends with benefits.

During the last part of my training I was having some mental issues like, am I going to be able to finish 26.2 miles?? I was also having some left knee and left shin issues as well, 2 days before the race my left knee and shin didn’t feel 100%.

I brought along a my mp3 player and was only going to use in if I was really hurting, cause I knew I wouldn’t let myself think of anything else other than how much I was hurting, I was hoping I could break out this mp3 player around mile 18 or so…

As the race started I saw a girl running while talking on the cell phone, what is so important that she needed to use the phone?? I was running at a comfortable pace for me, not fast just comfortable, it was fun seeing everyone run through the streets of where I grew up. About mile 7 I started to have some knee issues, not my left knee but it was my right knee, where did this right knee pain come from? I haven’t had this pain since May, how dare it show up today, doesn’t it know I am trying to run 26.2 miles today??? Oh yeah it did know and that is why it was hurting.. So I continued along the race just hoping the pain wouldn’t get to bad that I felt it was a better idea to stop then continue. Just as I though, right around mile 18 I needed that mp3 player, it did its job I was trying to sing along with the music, and I felt ok… About mile 20 on I would see people with gummie bears but they were always on the other side of the road from me, and I wasn’t about to run across the road to get some are you crazy run further than 26.2, not a chance. Mile 22 a guy had gummie bears on my side of the road I took some and acted like it was the first time I’ve eaten in days, as soon as I got them in my mouth I had so much energy, I was so happy and in a great mood, I picked up my pace I was singing out loud, I was like where is this wall I am suppose to hit??? Unfortunately all that energy didn’t last until the finish but I never did find that wall

I finished my 26.2 miles in 4:25, I was off my goal time, thanks a lot right knee pain, but I was so happy that I finished. Now I only have to do this after a 2.4 mile swim and a 112 mile bike next year at IM MOO.

Oh yeah I passed that girl on the phone, about mile 19 do you believe she was still on the phone??? I sure hope she has free weekend minutes.

What would you do differently?:

i don't know, i thought i did everything i could.. i guess i would get new a knee on race day
Post race

Last updated: 2004-11-22 12:00 AM
Running
04:25:00 | 26.2 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Flat, a hill here and there, nothing serious.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-11-22 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
Subject: Philly Marathon

2004-11-22 10:38 AM
in reply to: #85402

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: RE: Philly Marathon
Congrats on your first marathon John. I was out there as well, trying to pace my sister for a Boston spot. I took her to mile 17 before fading off and unfortunately, she missed by a few minutes.

I enjoyed your report and good luck @ IM MOO next year.

BTW, I had my cell phone on me while I was running and although I can't speak for the girl you saw, I can tell you why I find mine useful.

Several friends and family come out to watch. They either call me to tell me where they are or vice versa. That way we can see each other. It works pretty well.

And, as was the case 3 weeks ago, when I did the NYC marathon, I had to orchestrate a shirt exchange and also reloaded my fuel belt.
2004-11-22 11:24 AM
in reply to: #85402

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Philly Marathon
Great job! Congrats on your first marathon!!! Hopefully this may become a tradition for you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Philly Marathon Rss Feed