General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie in Forsyth County Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-11 9:49 PM

New user

Subject: Newbie in Forsyth County
Hello BT Georgia Folks! I am a Newbie in Forsyth county. REALLY Newbie -like...I don't own a bike yet or even swim goggles.... but I do have running shoes so I guess that is where I will start my couch to tri training. I am looking for an indoor pool where I can begin swim training and was wondering if anyone might have some insight. There is so much to learn about tri and it seems a bit daunting but I am committed to learning. I would really appreciate any input you might have with regard to local support.

Thanks!
Andi

2008-01-12 7:23 AM
in reply to: #1151624

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Newbie in Forsyth County
Hi Andi -
Most health clubs have indoor pools, these days, so check those out. YMCAs seem to mostly have pools, but they are pricey. We've found a local recreation dept pool was the best (cheapest) solution for us. Depending on where you are in Forsyth Cty, there may be some good pools near you, especially if you are near Alpharetta.
Good luck with your training!
Steph
2008-01-12 7:56 AM
in reply to: #1151813

New user

Thanks Steph. I toured the YMCA a couple of days ago. Beautiful, but as you said, pricey. Too pricey for us right now. I live in Cumming and have searched the web for community indoor pools and have not come up with anything. (I am newish to this area). I will check out Alpharetta. I would like to find a place that also has open swims where I can take my preschoolers.

Thanks again!
Andi
2008-01-12 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA

Hey, I live in Sugar Hill, just a stones throw from Cumming.  I swim at the Ballys in Alpharetta.  Gwinnett County parks also have a few pools that would work for you.  Bogan Park is not that far from you.  They don't check residency and charge a nominal fee (I think $3) to use the pool.  The same facility has an spectacular pool for the kids with play structures and a giant water slide.  I'll go with my wife and toddler.  I can get in a couple laps and then play with the family.

Welcome to the world of tris....beware, you're gonna get seriously hooked.

Also, check out North Atlanta Multisport Club (NAMC).  http://www.northatlantamultisport.org/

They are very friendly to beginners, I know b/c I am one.  The club seems great for info and I'm about to start taking advantage of group workouts as well.

see you around,

Jay

2008-01-12 2:15 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Have you signed up for a tri yet?

There are a lot of nice ones for beginners.

btw, welcome!

2008-01-12 3:45 PM

Extreme Veteran
Orlando, Florida
I also live in Cumming

I work out at LA Fitness. I think it is about 35 a month. Their membership is good at any LA Fitness throughout the state. Most of their clubs have pools.The closest one is either the one on Windward Pkwy (Exit 11) about 1/2 mile west of 400, or the one on 141 in Johns Creek about 6 miles or so east of 400.

There have been talk of them putting one here somewhere in Cumming.

2008-01-12 9:06 PM

New user

Thanks for the info. I will check out both Bogan Park and LA Fitness in Alpharetta.

I considered signing up for a tri this season then thought better of it. I am an active person but I wouldn't say athletic and I am carrying around an extra 35 pounds that I need to lose. I am concerned that if I jump into things quickly I might injur myself and as a mom hauling around two preschoolers, I just can't afford any injuries. I started a couch to running training plan and my thought is to sign up for a 5K (2nd Annual Run for Life here in Cumming) in April. I want to volunteer at some tri events this season to at least be involved on some level and learn what the events are like. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get involved on a volunteer basis? Then next season (or very late this season if I am able to get a bike) I will try a first tri. That is my plan.... if you have any better suggestions based on your experience please send them across!

I will check into the North Atlanta Multisports Club. I must admit, going into a club situation as a Newbie I am a bit intimidated as I know so little....but I know that I have to start somewhere!

Cheers!
Andi

2008-01-12 9:43 PM
in reply to: #1152575

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

andibrandt - 2008-01-12 10:06 PM Thanks for the info. I will check out both Bogan Park and LA Fitness in Alpharetta. I considered signing up for a tri this season then thought better of it. I am an active person but I wouldn't say athletic and I am carrying around an extra 35 pounds that I need to lose. I am concerned that if I jump into things quickly I might injur myself and as a mom hauling around two preschoolers, I just can't afford any injuries. I started a couch to running training plan and my thought is to sign up for a 5K (2nd Annual Run for Life here in Cumming) in April. I want to volunteer at some tri events this season to at least be involved on some level and learn what the events are like. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get involved on a volunteer basis? Then next season (or very late this season if I am able to get a bike) I will try a first tri. That is my plan.... if you have any better suggestions based on your experience please send them across! I will check into the North Atlanta Multisports Club. I must admit, going into a club situation as a Newbie I am a bit intimidated as I know so little....but I know that I have to start somewhere! Cheers! Andi

Welcome, Andi!

Please don't feel intimidated.  NAMC is very committed to helping new athletes. It's a fun group that offers plenty by way of information, hands on learning (transition clinics, bike handling skills, etc.), group training opportunities and even social events.  We have a mentoring program for people who are new to the club and/or the sport.  Additionally, you can find volunteer opportunities through the club's website.  I really encourage you to consider it.  I joined before I did my first tri and am happy I did.

Good luck with your training. 

2008-01-13 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
I'll second what Mila said about the North Atlanta Multisport Club.  I started going after only doing one triathlon, but many people come before doing any.  You will get so much good info and training buddies.  The club is VERY welcoming of new people.  Definitely check us out!
2008-01-13 2:50 PM
in reply to: #1152847

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, Georgia
You forgot to mention the DRINKING!

Definately a good group of people! I've made some quality friends out of the club... good luck!

lawyerchick - 2008-01-13 9:58 AM

I'll second what Mila said about the North Atlanta Multisport Club.  I started going after only doing one triathlon, but many people come before doing any.  You will get so much good info and training buddies.  The club is VERY welcoming of new people.  Definitely check us out!
2008-01-13 9:46 PM
in reply to: #1153157

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

steventrihard - 2008-01-13 3:50 PM You forgot to mention the DRINKING! Definately a good group of people! I've made some quality friends out of the club... good luck!
lawyerchick - 2008-01-13 9:58 AM I'll second what Mila said about the North Atlanta Multisport Club.  I started going after only doing one triathlon, but many people come before doing any.  You will get so much good info and training buddies.  The club is VERY welcoming of new people.  Definitely check us out!

No way!  She was seconding what I said.  Everyone knows that "social events" is code for drinking .

2008-01-14 7:15 PM

New user

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll be sure to check out the club. I will broach the subject with my hubby to see if he is willing to stay home and watch the kids so I can go to the next meeting. He is easing into the thought of me training for a tri veryyyyyy sllllooooowwwly. He's a great guy though and will come around...

2008-01-21 9:32 AM

New user

Hi,
new here too but I just joined Lifetime Fitness in Alpharetta on Morris Pkway, just off Northpoint. They offer adult swim lessons as well as kids.

I joined them b/c they are opening another facility in Johns Creek in technology park not far from where the LA fitness is located. It is a mega facility with two great waterfeatures indoors and out.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie in Forsyth County Rss Feed