BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pilgrim's Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-03-09 9:41 PM
in reply to: #1261711

Regular
Tomball, TX
Subject: RE: Pilgrim's Group - Full
That is awesome Josh! Way to go! Hey, Josh - have you ever heard of the scuba park south of Houston? Here is the link www.scubapark.net Evidently you can go and get some open water swimming experience for just $5. The site says they even have a tri course set up. I am going to try and go before the Lonestar - maybe during spring break. It won't be the gulf but it will be much different than the lap pool One of the BT'ers shared it on the Lonestar Sprint thread.

Have a great week everyone!

2008-03-10 11:27 AM
in reply to: #1151684

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Great job Josh! The metric century is one of those milestones that is tough to break when you are getting used to long distance riding. Before you know it you will be looking for a brevet (pronounced brah-vay), they start at 200K. Actually Houston has a very active group of Randonneurs - it's a whole different sport. http://www.rusa.org/
2008-03-13 11:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Hello?

I just registered for the Rage Half Iron. It will take place April 19th out at Lake Mead National Recreation Area just outside Las Vegas, NV. I really enjoy racing out there because the roads are smooth and the water is clean and clear. There is a lot of climbing associated with the bike and probably the run too and Lake Mead is so big that if you do get wind it can generate some pretty substantial waves so it's always a challenge. Me and a few friends will be doing the race in order to test out training so far for Ironman Couer d'Alene in June. It's usually a good idea to use shorter races that are somewhat near in time to your goal race as a means of testing fitness, checking gear under race conditions and trying out nutrition and pacing plans. This is usually more important for Ironman and half iron distance events, especially Ironman distance events. I also like to do a sprint distance event a week or two prior to an Ironman just to kind of knock loose the cobwebs that seem to develop during the long taper.

Hope everyone's training is going well!

Don't we have some races coming up? There should be some people out there getting pumped up!
2008-03-14 7:05 AM
in reply to: #1269696

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Hey guys,
I fell off the grid again but I'm back now. I'm in my last day of my Six Sigma Training. I'll be a Green Belt Trained guy by the end of the day but not an actual Six Sigma Green Belt until I finish an improvement project.

Training's going well, I did progressively longer workouts this week. I did a 3 and a 2 miler on Monday, good swims Tuesday and this morning, and a 7.5 miler on Wednesday.

Questions for the group:
-Anyone use fins while swimming? I feel like it's cheating. I get two kicks or so and I'm across the pool.
-Anyone use a Fuelbelt? I used one on the 7.5-miler and it was great. I was worried it would be too cumbersome, but it turned out to be just fine and really comforting to know that I had water/gatorade with me the whole time and that I wouldn't need to drink someone's sprinkler water.

I hope people are doing well.
Matt.
2008-03-14 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1271499

User image

Jeez, another day without a post! I hope everyone's doing alright.

I just got in over my head I think. I accepted a challenge to go on a 30 Mile ride this weekend. In the wind, that'll feel like 50 miles. We'll see how it goes. If we had 3 or more, it would probably be easier, but it's two of us knuckleheads. I'll let you know how it turns out. I guess I'll take it easy on a run tomorrow.

Have a nice weekend everyone! See you on Monday.
2008-03-14 9:45 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Hey Matt (what IS a gomebolt anyhow?) and everyone!

I've been pretty diverted lately too. But will say a quick hello!

As for fuel belt - I have one but only use it during the heated months and only carry one little bottle on it. Like it (leaks a bit,but nothing too bad).

I use Zoomers, not fins. Zoomers are shorter finned flippers and stiffer. They really offer a better way to gain a better feel for kicker vs. regular flipper fins. Flippers really propel you! Zoomers do help propel you better than without but force you to kick more than flippers and I've learned to kick better using my whole leg vs just from the knee down.

I used to use aids more. But found they gave me a false sense of abilities. So now I don't use them for 8/10s of an epic workout! I still use my zoomers and paddles, but work on form with them then revert to regular swimming after each interval with an aid to practice 'for real' in the water using the feel from the aid training.

Have a great weekend peeps! And have fun riding gomes!

2008-03-16 2:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
I have used the amphipod but not the fuel belts. I have also used the Nathan belt and bottle system and an Ultimate direction hydration vest. Nothing I have tried is as nice as my hand held bottles. I just love having the freedom of movement around my waist and the ease of access of the hand helds.

In any case I enjoy having access to something to drink whenever and wherever so I'll even carry at least a bottle during races with plenty of aid stations.

I also used fins but haven't done it in a while. I suppose they could strengthen your legs and your kick but the kick plays such a small role in triathlon swimming anyway that I'm not sure how much benifit there is in using them as opposed to spending more time with paddles to strengthen your upper body or with drills to focus on better form. The Zoomers sound interesting though. I have a friend in Mesa,AZ who likes his, or did when he first bought them.

My final weekend of training before the Grasslands 50 mile run! I had a nice brick with friends yesterday, 60 miles on the bike followed by an easy two mile run and then today I did an easy 12 mile trail run. I will probably mostly swim this week, maybe an easy bike or two and one 3 mile run.

Oh, big news, my son is running his first marathon next weekend! We are going to the Grasslands as a family and I will be doing the 50 and my wife and son will do the marathon!
2008-03-16 8:23 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Pilgrim! Wow! I was just looking at your logs and WOW!! You worked out from 5 am til 9 am on Thursday getting in all 3 sports! Wow! You must have flexible hours at work! Awesome!
2008-03-17 7:54 AM
in reply to: #1275092

User image

Brian,

Tell your son we wish him good luck. That's really great that he's getting into the family tradition. My son is just getting to the point where walking is his primary method of travel. One of our neighbors noticed yesterday that his shoulders are the broadest part of his little body. My wife said "yeah, he's got his dad's body." I guess he's doomed to be a clydesdale too.

I tried the zoomers and I think you're right that they don't create the full-propulsion and they do help make you kick from the hips. When you dive a lot, you learn to kick from the hips because it streamlines you and it makes you use a more powerful muscle group than your knees. I think working on the kick helps in training because it's a lower-impact motion that helps to loosen up your legs. It really helped me last week in between a 2-run day, a 7 mile run, and a long ride.

I've got my relay across Florida a week from Friday and then I'll be able to look forward to getting back on some triathlons. I really miss the tri mindset. I'm really thinking about running an International Distance Triathlon in June. The only thing that might keep me from doing that is that my wife is due a week before the race. I may save-up the energy for next-year's Miami International on March 15th.

Anyway, gotta get back to work. Take care.
Matt.
2008-03-17 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
I am fortunate in that I do have a pretty felxible work schedule but I didn't do that ride all at once, it's split between before and after work so I got to work just before 8 am.

I'm on an ultra list serve and there was a recent string about people run commuting to work. Some folks were running as much as 14 miles in and then running 14 miles home. If I ran all the way from home rather from my gym it would be 20 miles to work and 20 back. Even from the gym it's 15 each way. I have done the thing where I catch a ride to work from the gym and then run back to the gym after work and that is pretty nice.

Hey, where are our Longhorn athletes?
2008-03-18 3:20 PM
in reply to: #1275603

User image

One of my co-workers is in Abilene right now and he says they've been socked-in with hail and sleet and ice for the last two days. Chances are, they've got some weather issues maybe? I guess we can check their logs and see if they registered anything.

I was thinking about doing the run to work thing when I get up in mileage near the Marathon. It's about 10ish miles if I take the shortest-route. I need to start riding-in but I need to dig my backpack out so I can carry my stuff. There's just no way for me to leave everything at work.

The picture below is why I swim fast in the open water off Jupiter. This was pulled-out less than a mile away from shore!!! A little old, but my dad sent me the picture when I said I've been swimming and running a lot and was thinking about going swimming in the ocean again.

Edited by GomesBolt 2008-03-18 3:22 PM

(shark.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
shark.JPG (44KB - 36 downloads)

2008-03-18 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Wow! Nothing like that in New Mexico.

You know I have heard that before Ironman Florida they bomb the waters in order to scare off shcu creatures. I'm not sure how true that may be but I think it would make me feel better if it were true and I was racing.
2008-03-18 9:07 PM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Hey all,

Just checkin in. I love my bio fins. Wish I could use them for the swim. :-)

As for the hydration belt (forgot what you actually called it), I see many people running with it and have serious gear envy. Doesn't look like it bothers them at all.

Hey Pilgrim, a while ago you made a post about running single track in the dark with a lamp on your head. The other night I just decided to run no particular route. At about mile 3, my sidewalk turned into a dimly lit single track trail. What a great way to take my mind off my thumpin heart! I was too busy trying not to break my ankle. Actually turned out well. Ran 5.5 without stopping. Been a while since I did that.

Hope you are all well. Look out for those tornadoes!
2008-03-19 9:11 AM
in reply to: #1275603

Regular
Tomball, TX
Hey, all - yes I still exist The past 2 weeks have been super crazy! This week is spring break and trying to have as much fun with the kids as possible. Sounds like everyone has been busy and I see some new races added - way to go!

Okay, starting to feel anxiety about the race next week. I am sure it is just the whole first time thing. I keep getting my email info about the race which helps - yesterdays listed common rules which are broken, very helpful. I am taking the kids down to the race sight tomorrow (and play on the beach) just to see the routes etc. I think that will help with some of the anxiety. I may attempt to get in the water - but won't have my wetsuit until next week - the water temp is in the 60's so we will see. I have another bike / run brick today and a swim later this afternoon at the outside pool at the gym while the kids play on the waterslides (they have it open and heated due to spring break). Still nervous about the ocean swim vs pool but have heard the swim is not usually choppy. An added stressor is that my hubby who travels was scheduled to be here to transport kids to soccer games next weekend may now be on the road so I am trying to find back up plans for the kids just in case. I just keep telling myself I can do this and my goal is to finish! Right?????!!!!! My second race will be for improvements

Have a terrific day!
Juls
2008-03-19 9:14 AM
in reply to: #1278915

Regular
Tomball, TX
oh yeah - meant to say the shark picture wasn't funny and certianly didn't ease my ocean swim worries! Ha! Just kidding That is incredible!

Juls
2008-03-19 2:33 PM
in reply to: #1280132

User image

Juls,

Your nervousness is completely normal. I had all those same feelings/thoughts going a few weeks ago. Your mindset about finishing worked fine for me. I'd write-down your training plan for your taper so you stick-to-it and I'd also have a plan for your meal after the race so you don't get stuck eating Burger King like I did and falling into the "I just did a Triathlon, I can eat whatever I want" mindset for the next two days.

Don't worry about that shark being out in Texas. I think they're about half that size there so it would only be a 275.5lb shark gnawing on you. Better swim faster than the guy/gal next to you!!!

Did you get to the actual race area and even drive or ride the bike-course? That really helped me a lot. If you can get a wetsuit and jump in the water, I'd do it before the race too because I did pool-swims for three months before I did the open water swim. It's just a different animal. I'll probably hit the ocean this weekend to get in a open water swim since it's been so long. It all depends on the weather.

Happy Training.

2008-03-19 5:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Running in the dark with just a head lamp is different for sure. Somehow I found it harder on the more open dirt/sand road, everything seemed less distinct and it was hard to see the unevenness of the road. The actual single track dirt trail was much easier.

Don't be nervous, be excited

Seriously, go to finish and have a good time. Forget about race times and beating other people. You know when I did my first Ironman I was doing very well on the run, did the first half in just over two hours and then it occurred to me that this is the last time I will ever do a first Ironman so I spent much of the second loop walking and chatting with people, other athletes and aid station workers. I took the time to watch the sun set over the lake, it was a great experience. I don't want to leave you with the impression that I could have smoked the run had I wanted to, I could not, but I did make a conscious decision to just enjoy the rest of my day and stop worrying about time.

Ok, I totally eat junk food after a race though you do have to watch it, definitely not for two days running but a nice - wicked - treat post race is pretty awesome.

I don't know if I have said this before but let me address carb loading quickly.

Most people seem to think that carb loading is a pasta free for all in the last couple days leading up to the race, it is not. Nor is it a massive pasta dinner the night before the race.

During the course of training your diet should increase in calories slightly as you are buring more...this will help prevent bonking during your workouts and will ensure your body has the proper nutrition to recover. The carb loading phase is accomplished by reducing your workouts, tapering, without reducing your caloric intake or by reducing it only slightly. Be sure to monitor your weight during this phase because you don't want to be packing on pounds before an event.

Your meal the night before should be high in carbs but it should be a fairly normal sized meal. Sure, eat a little extra if you want but know that the extra helping is really only a treat for your hard work and is not going to help you race better the next day. In fact if you over do it you can wreck your race.

Now here is where food is important, race morning. Eat a nice, carb filled breakfast maybe 2 or 3 hours before the race. I love oatmeal, some folks like peanut butter and bagels etc...maybe throw in a little protein but it should not be something like steak and eggs because your body needs the carbs.

After you eat start hydrating, just keep a bottle of water at hand and keep drinking it. You can use a sports drink too but the extra calories aren't necessary. Finally, take a gel or maybe 8 or so oz of sports drink about 20 - 30 minutes before the race, just something to get easily available carbs and a couple hundred calories into your gut for use later in the race.

You will do fine!
2008-03-20 9:31 PM
in reply to: #1281595

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Sharks?! Nah! Just worry about those flailing arms and legs. I tend to go to the outside so I'm not in the middle of the swimming frenzy.

And food... I made the mistake of eating a banana about 1/2 before the start of a race. Ugh! I suffered from banana indigestion for the duration of the swim and bike... It was quite uncomfortable and won't do that again.

I LOVE enjoying a nice post race meal. I feel pretty safe in that I'm not going to bust my caloric intake no matter what I typically eat so I enjoy every bite!

2008-03-20 11:07 PM
in reply to: #1284475

Regular
Tomball, TX
Can I just say, again, how great you all are Thanks for the reassuring words and great advice. We didn't make it to the race site today but will go Saturday once hubby gets in from the airport. The kids can't wait to play at the beach, I really just want to see the race area. I plan on driving the bike route - the run is in and around the attraction park so not sure if it will be available to walk/run. I hope my wetsuit gets in by Sat so I can maybe get in and get a feel for the water...I am sure that will ease some of my butterflies.

I registered for the first timer swim wave and it looks like they now have a men and a women's separate first timer waves.

Here are my questions so far...

race bibs - where do I put them? For the swim I have just my numbers on my body...the bike - not sure here.....the run - I have a race belt to clip it to (I have this pinned on and ready prior to the race, right?) Am I missing anything?

racking my bike, anything I need to know here?

T1 - do you all dry off or just go?

That is all for now....THANKS

2008-03-21 7:22 AM
in reply to: #1284576

User image

Race belt with number should be ready to put-on once you start the run. The numbers on your arms and legs will suffice for the Swim and Bike. When you get your packet, there'll be some people there writing numbers on your thigh and on your bicep and then your age on the back of your calf.

The race chip is something I didn't expect too much. You can wear it on your wrist or on your ankle. I'm sure Brian will clarify both things.

Maybe this is more of a training-practice thing, but on the bike, you should try to hydrate continuously. I just set-up my aero bottle so I can have the straw in my teeth the whole time I'm riding if I want because you can't skip the hydration and have a good run. I'm sure it really applies better to the Ironman races, but the number I heard is that in an hour of racing (swim, bike, and half the run for me) you'll burn about 1500-1800 calories. When you consider that the average person only has something like 1800 calories of energy storage available at any given time, you should really be replenishing that during the race if you anticipate running over the 1-hour mark. Again, I'm counting on Brian to verify/debunk this because I read it in-passing and don't have a reference to go off of.

Oh and T-1, I tried to dry-off but it wasted so much time and wasn't necessary. If you're going ~15 miles per hour, the wind will dry you off in time. You're going from the beach so you'll probably need a wash bucket for your feet, but you should try to do the quick dunk, roll your socks on and get moving. If I'd had the same Transition times that the other guys in my group had, I would've been #2 instead of #4.

You're more ready for this than you think. Just remember: Finish-- and you're a Triathlete!
2008-03-21 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1284762

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Hey Matt, on the race chip, do most events provide a band to hold it on your wrist or ankle, or should I get one?

Also, I was thinking about the hydration issue. Apparently I'm not very good at drinking out of a bottle and riding since as a recovering mountain biker, I've always used a camelback. I know it's an extra thing to worry about, but are those permitted in a race?

Good luck, Juls!!!

P.S. - You were right, Pilgrim. Inevitably, we all fall. Today I had my first fall with the clipless pedals. It was at a busy intersection and I was in front of a bunch of cars. Time slowed as I thought my shoe would come out, but then realized I was falling to that side. Oh well.

Edited by meclavea 2008-03-21 11:42 AM

2008-03-21 8:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Hey Mark, I hope you didn’t get to banged up in that fall, it usually happens in front of several people.

Let me try and address the questions.

Race numbers – you will get body markings in the morning before the race and that will be your numbering for the swim. You are required to have a number on your bike and the number must be visible on the left side of the bike. It is a good idea to bring some clear packing tape to put your number on the bike. You can place the number on the top tube or down tube or if you have a long enough seat post you can place it there too. Just look at what others are doing. For the run the race belt is a great choice since you can just snatch it up and snap it on while you are already on the run.

As far as calories goes if you think you can get through the race in an hour and a half or less you probably only need water. If you will be out longer you should probably take a gel on the bike at some point toward the end, maybe the last 5 minutes. You could also hydrate with a sports drink and those calories should carry you through the run.

The timing chips go on your ankle, either ankle, not the wrist. If a race has timing chips they will provide a chip strap, usually a cheap Velcro deal. You can get your own chip strap, they are wider and made of neoprene and are more comfortable but that usually isn’t an issue until you are going for longer races.

You can use a hydropack during the race if you want.
2008-03-21 9:10 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Hey folks!

I remember reading here on bt about why do we get body marked anyhow?!?!?! someone posted: because that way they'll know how to identify limbs. HA! AND it is in NO WAY true (in case anyone is freakin' out )

I fell on clipless (many times) but one memorable time was at a light (four way) and it was like a slow motion comedy. Lots of cars... I pull up next to one. And BOOM - down I go! I laughed so hard though that I hardly heard some people beep and ask if I was ok. Oy!

I used a camelback (awesome inventions!) during 2 tris (during the bike) as it was a great way to hydrate without fumbling with water bottles. However, I've found on longer bike rides, that they get hot on my back AND are heavy. So I now put watery Gatorade in my water cage (or whatever you call it) and bought a water set up from Profile Design that sits between my aero bars and is easy to drink from (well, relatively so) while I'm in aero position (straw is close to front of face).

Happy Easter Weekend Peeps! Speaking of PEEPS...I'm making a cake for our Easter dinner that will resemble a sunflower with the use of PEEPS (which I hate but kids seem to like).

2008-03-22 11:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Mmmmm, Peeps.

Sorry, I am kind of loopy and hungry right now. My first 50 miler is in the bank
http://clydeologist.blogspot.com/

Now it's on to next weekend and the making of two new triathletes at the Longhorn triathlon!
2008-03-23 5:24 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

GI problems are BAD! But you still made it through! And falls? And wrong ways?! Wow!

I laughed with the Just the Gigilo song part - ain't it odd how some obscure song can pop into our head (and stay there a long time) when were to that loopy goofy fatigued state of mind and body?! (YMCA, Kung fu Fighting, Beach baby beach baby there on the sand from July til the end of September..... HA)

Good race Pilgrim!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pilgrim's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 14