Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-01-16 11:54 AM
in reply to: #1151684

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Pilgrim's Group - Open
Wow, that is a great effort to get out there in fresh snow! Too bad about the shoes though. I end up hiding some of my older stuff or it goes the way of the trash can too

2008-01-16 12:53 PM
in reply to: #1159519

Regular
Tomball, TX
Ha! That is too funny about your wife throwing out your old shoes. I actually laughed because I am sure I have done the same thing to my hubby

Oh, I am signing up for my first race...the Lone Star - sprint, March 29. I'm nervous - that seems far away but yet oh so close!

Edited by juls2bfit 2008-01-16 12:56 PM
2008-01-16 2:34 PM

New user
MN
Hello, Group!

Thanks for having me. I'm 32, and live in Minneapolis, MN. I am very, very, new to this sport. I completed my first sprint tri. last summer, but I have to say, I did a very poor job of training for it: I rarely got in the pool, hadn't swam in open water until the day of the race (well.. for at least 8 yrs. prior to that, lol), and did not get on a bike (some old thing I bought off of Craigslist for $100 a few weeks before the race) until the night before the triathlon -- just to make sure the brakes worked! (This is all very embarrassing to admit, but true none-the-less)

Now, to be honest, this really didn't end up being a pleasant experience for me -- frankly, I was a mediocre runner who had a very poor showing at a triathlon... but.... now.. I want to redeem myself and do this the *right* way!! Plus, I can't say enough about the great people I met at this event (it was the Lifetime Fitness Triathlon in Minneapolis). The race, the people, everything about the triathlon was exhilirating, but my own lack of training definitely detracted from it. So.... here I am again....

I'm pretty much now at square one. I was so frustrated with myself after that experience, my motivation for working out just petered out. So, now.. during my hiatus, I've put on some weight, and haven't exercised in months. But, it is the new year, and I'm ready to get back on track!! Where do I begin?

Looking forward to taking this journey with all of you --- and aspiring to be something other than last place this year!

-Kristin

Edited by KrisMarie 2008-01-16 2:37 PM
2008-01-16 3:19 PM

Regular
Land of Make Believe
OK... I havent done the formal introduction yet...

Name: Luhitech - aka Josh

Next/First Race: Lonestar Sprint... Galveston Texas (Small World Eh?)
Next Race after that: CB&I Sprint, May 5th?, The Woodlands, TX

Current Weight: 315.8

Goal Weights:

Feb 14 - Less than 300
March 29 - Less than 280

ok.. those seem like the vital stats... I am strongest at the Bike... I ride with a cycling club in hte Woodlands... although haven't been going lately... plan to go on Saturday... we'll see... been running 3 days a week, am going to push it to 4 next week... I also need to find a place to start swimming... that is a big challange for me... my community pool doesnt open until Memorial day weekend... and I dont have a Y that is very convenient... Basically triathlons for me are a goal, and without a goal I dont workout... and simply running or biking or any one sport gets old for me real quick... I'm married and have two great kids... a 4yo and a 10month old... I have begun posting my training logs here... My wife and I also recently re-started doing weight watchers... we both need the help... but she is doing it more for me... which is great...

good luck on your training! and thanks Pilgrim for being a mentor!

Juls where do you swim?

Edited by luhitech 2008-01-16 6:17 PM
2008-01-16 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Kristin, there is nothing like a good first-time triathlon story...you only have one shot at it. I don't remember what my training was like heading in to my first one, a sprint, but I know it was inconsistant except for the bike, I rode like crazy. I couldn't swim very well at all and couldn't really put my face in the water. During my first event, which was a reverse triathlon, run-bike-swim, I went out running too fast and was walking and gasping for breath by the half-way point and my cool triathlete sun glasses were fogging up and I couldn't see. To make matters worse I didn't know anything about setting up a transition area so all my gear was in a gym bag sitting next to my bike. I really wanted to do well so I tried to figure out how I could get through transition fast. I decided to run in my swim trunks and pull my cycling shorts on over them for the bike and then take them back off for the swim. When I hit transition after the run I was a mixture of tired, excited and in a big hurry...all of which resulted in a general confusion. I dug through my gym bag and pulled out my cycling shorts and put them one, pulled out my cycling shoes and helmet and put them on and headed out on the bike. I passed a TON of people...one of the benefits of being slow in the first event when I got back to T2 I was equally confused and again digging through my gym bag trying to find my goggles. I hit the pool and immediately realized that I was still wearing my cycling shorts it was like swimming in a pair of diapers.

I had the time of my life! After the race I was very tired and hungry but the sense of accomplishment was amazing! I love this sport!

Ok, I guess enough of my nostalgia for now. I did want to ask everyone to post their upcoming race or races and if you have it a link to the race so we can all jealously lurk on the website and envy you.

I also wanted to leave you with this thought; you actually get faster and stronger by resting and recovering. Of course that doesn't mean that you will become a super athlete by just sitting around but sometimes we become so enthusiastic that we start trying to advance too quickly, go too far or go too hard and if we do not let our bodies rest and recover then we are asking for injury.
2008-01-16 6:40 PM

User image

Regular
Melbourne
Hi Pilgrim

this is the race I wanted to go for (one of the last races of our summer season):

http://www.supersprint.com.au/Default.aspx?Menu=540&Content=35&Temp...

And I want to do a full in the new season- this would be the best one for me in terms of timing and getting there etc

http://www.nowratri.com.au/

Its cool to have a goal!

Cheers

Maree

2008-01-16 8:03 PM

User image

Hi everyone! Love the first triathlon stories! They are always so priceless.
Oh-- also if you guys go into your control panel when you log in, there's an option for "Friends." If you enter in names, it will put pictures/links to everyone's training logs, etc. Just something handy I learned today.

Thanks Brian for being so valuable to all of us. I'm so excited about all this, and I've been feeling really good training-wise. It's been so cold here though, sure wish I was somewhere warm like the Bahamas!!!

Happy training, everyone!
2008-01-16 8:08 PM

Hey Pilgrim...

Room for another newbie?....Looks like you have a great group of folks you are training already and I sure could use your expertise to get me through.

I am 37 years old and a father of three beautiful kids, 7, 5, and 1 and I want to be around a long time to see them grow up. I suffer from High Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure and Borderline Diabetes. I am 5'8 and weigh 215 lbs currently at 35% bodyfat. I played College Football and know the demands that physical activity can have on the body. However, the last 15 years I have been very lethargic with my lifestyle and now I am paying for it.

I am following the Couch to Sprint Training log and started last week.

I am scheduled for my first triathlon in June in Birmingham, AL and I need your help to get me through!!

Thanks
Darren
2008-01-16 10:09 PM
in reply to: #1160057

Regular
Tomball, TX
Hi KrisMarie! I am also a very newbie to the sport and scared to death but have begun training none the less. My husband works for Marriott and he just left Minneapolis, and the very cold weather. We can go through this togther!! I certainly do not find any of the three areas easy but swimming is what I am most concerned of. I am not worried about my speed at my first race the end of March but really just want to finish. My second race then I can work for improvement. Do you have a race scheduled?

My first Newbie questions: Can I race on my road bike for my first race? When do you need a wetsuit... and do you practice in a wetsuit? I am sure I will have more questions, thanks for the great!
2008-01-16 10:14 PM
in reply to: #1160206

Regular
Tomball, TX
Hey Josh!

Where do you live in Tomball? We are off Spring Cypress between Grant and N Eldridge. Very small world but oh so cool! Maybe we can do some training together. I am not fast at anything and find I train at weird hours to accomodate my kid's schedules. I have about 50lbs to lose and also need the "goal" to get something accomplished. We go to Lifetime fitness off 1960 and 249. I am just starting to swim there. I am going now with my kids who are also preparing for summer swim team.
2008-01-16 10:19 PM
in reply to: #1161044

Regular
Land of Make Believe
I am on the other end of Tomball... Kuykendahl, just north of Huffsmith-Kuykendahl...

and to answer one of your questions... I plan to do my first races on a road bike... actually a vintage schwinn worldsport roadbike... and do not plan on wearing a wetsuit to either race this spring...

Juls... Ever thought about riding with the Woodlands Cycling Club? Great friendly group of people... They meet at the Ashlane Y in the woodlands on Saturday mornings... Couple of other Triathletes ride in the beginner group... that ride is 24 miles... with 2 stops... 16-18 mph... some have then rode up to Market Street afterwards for a Starbucks or a Jamba Juice... that makes for a 38 mile day... good stuff...

2008-01-16 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Hey Maree, your training looks great! I think you are very on target for your first event. Actually, your training even looks good for the Olympic you have planned next season.

Seriously you guys, I’m loving this! I also work as a certified USAT race official so helping new people into the sport is important to me.

Darren, sure you are welcome! You know I have given a lot of thought to doing the Buster Britton Memorial Triathlon. My sister-in-law lives in Birmingham and I’ve ridden the hills out north east of town. Your training log looks good!
2008-01-16 10:38 PM
in reply to: #1161064

Regular
Tomball, TX
I will have to consider that, certainly would make doing long rides more fun I am googling them now! My hubby travels so I would only be able to ride when he was home on the weekends. I know exactly where you are. We head that direction when my son plays soccer at Burroughs park. I used to work off Kuykendahl and Cypresswood area.
2008-01-17 12:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
"My first Newbie questions: Can I race on my road bike for my first race? When do you need a wetsuit... and do you practice in a wetsuit? "

Yes, you can race a road bike, a tri bike, a mountain bike, heck, I have even seen one guy ride a Pee-wee Herman type bike sitting bolt upright...he had a basket on the thing. You ask how it was I saw him?

HE WAS PASSING ME GOING UPHILL! I am not kidding...it was my third ever triathlon, the Tri-Raider in Lubbock, TX. No worries though, I passed him back on the flats

To answer the wetsuit question, your need for a wetsuit depends on your tolerance for cold water. Most people are in suits by the time the water temps are around 74 degrees F

While many people can swim in water colder than that once others start putting on a wetsuit then so does everyone else because they make you faster and the worse swimmer you are the more benifit you get from them. Wetsuits are kind of expensive so if you can get away with it either borrow or rent a wetsuit if your event has water temps that make a wetsuit advisable. You can find wetsuit rentals online.

Yes, it is a good idea to practice in a wetsuit if you have the chance. My very first wetsuit swim in a race was also my very first time using a wetsuit...actually, it was the same race where Pee-Wee Herman guy passed me. Anyway, I only practice my wetsuit swimming in open water but that's just because I would feel a bit goofy practicing in a pool but that is my own silly issue, a lot of people practice with their wetsuits in a pool but not regularly and not for the full workout, maybe once or twice for a bit just to get a feel for the suit.

On the topic of openwater swimming, just briefly, it is very common for people to have feelings of panic during the open water swim. There are many possible reasons but one simple one is that the combination of cold water, excitement and thrashing bodies all lead to bodily sensations that are just like a panic attack...it probably is not a panic attack just cold water and adrenaline.

Oh, guess what guys, I registered for a race called the ghost Town 38.5 this evening, the race is this weekend. At least I'll have some material for "how to do a race report" huh

Here is a little something for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk
2008-01-17 7:49 AM
in reply to: #1161232

Regular
Tomball, TX
Pilgrim your stories are wonderful I don't know weather to laugh (which is usually what I do) or run the other direction. Thanks for the encouraging oops and first timer stories - they really are inspiring.
2008-01-17 9:02 AM

Regular
Land of Make Believe
Good Morning Everyone!... looks like our group is going to be a lot of fun with a wide range of skill/experience levels... that is great! did a sneak weighin this morning and was down a bunch since tuesday... feeling good about my workouts and weight watchers...

Juls...

I am planning on riding the beginners ride this weekend with the cycling club... feel free to come out and join us... I'll be riding the red Schwinn Worldsport...

2008-01-17 9:20 AM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Hey Pilgrim,

I'm hoping that you're still open to, yes, just one more person in your group.

I'm 35 and am working toward my first sprint the last week in April down here in sunny Georgia.

As far as exercise background, the most I have ever completed of of my own free will has been 3 half marathons (years ago). Otherwise, I have the military to thank for some great experiences in muscle failure.

Lately I have been swimming quite a bit, but admittedly must be the slowest person in the South. I have never really learned correct swimming technique and would really like your guidance in this area. Granted, I'm sure I need as much help in the bike and run as well.

I have asked every friend I know if they are willing to tri this with me and all I am receiving are their very valid reasons why they can't train with me. Nonetheless, I want to prove to myself and the others that I can work full time, balance time with my wife, work on my MBA, and complete a Sprint.

Am I crazy? Either way, is it still okay if I join?

Mark E.
2008-01-17 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Sure Mark, you are welcome to join! You know the Southern mosey is highly underrated…more people should give it a chance because, you know, speed is not everything!

Seriously, I'd like to make a point about speed. I know many people have the goal of becoming faster and it is fun to get faster but it pays to remember that we each have our own rhythms and innate abilities and it is important to learn to enjoy what we have now and simply press ahead and see where it leads. If people become discouraged by there speed, or lack thereof, they may not last long enough in the sport to see how well they can do. I promise you that if you stick around for a while you will become faster and you will also learn that triathlon is really always about showing up and finishing whether you are first, 300th or 1500th (which I have been, or somewhere there about).

So, how about making use of some of the expertise we have in the group with respect to swimming, does anyone have some ideas on speeding up or at least feeling more comfortable in the water?
2008-01-17 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Hey gang, I just got this article in my morning news from an ultra list that I belong to.

I think you will enjoy it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/health/chi-0113dea...
2008-01-17 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1161655

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Thanks for the welcome, Brian! As for the advice on swimming, I'm absolutely open to any suggestions. Today I just read about breathing every 3rd stroke. Ha! I've never even tried to breathe on my left side. Don't even get me started on the kick turn. . . Nonetheless, I'm going to try and incorporate both over the next week.

I also loved and appreciated the Pee Wee Herman story. Thank you for it. I'll be dusting off the mountain bike for now.

Mark E.
Atlanta, GA
2008-01-17 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1161704

Regular
Land of Make Believe
excellent article pilgrim... I love the "rush" that comes with breaking a good sweat...

2008-01-17 2:54 PM

User image

Hi everyone... Just thought I'd add my two cents about swimming. I swam competitively for 10 years and coached club & high school for an additional 9... although there are SO many more people much more knowledgeable than me, hopefully I can help a little!

As far as breathing goes, Mark, if breathing on your left side is uncomfortable, don't worry about it. It's probably more crucial to build up endurance. Trying to go a little further each workout, then after awhile trying to do that same distance a little faster... it'll come! After you're comfortable going longer distances and you really want to work on left-side breathing, then that's great. In my experience, dual side breathing can give you an advantage in the water, but if you don't have the endurance & stamina to go long it won't be a huge help. Just my opinion, of course.

For what it's worth, a good drill to help freestyle form is to drag your fingertips along the surface of the water, fairly close to the sides of body-- this helps you get your elbows up higher and help extend your stroke to make it more efficient. And if you get your elbows up higher it's also easier to breathe on that darn left side!

Hope everyone is doing well!!! Good luck training-- we can do this!!!

2008-01-17 3:02 PM

User image

Hi again, Brian just wanted to say thanks for the article link & echo a big amen to that-- I've had my struggles with depression, and getting back to exercise has lifted me and made me a happier person than I've ever been. Something medication never could do.

Also loved the Pee Wee Herman story. How awesome is that? And I was feeling like my road bike was a little dated!!!
2008-01-17 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
I wanted to thank brighton for her comments on swimming. It is true that your first consideration should be to build comfort in the water so that you can breathe effectively to at least one side. Make sure your have your face in the water and are turning to breathe instead of lifting your head up and to the side to breath. Whenever you lift your head as in to look up your hips and legs automatically drop and that creates a tremendous amount of drag and drag equals slow.

There are a couple basic principles of triathlon swimming. The first is to turn your head basically by rotating your hips. With every stroke reach out as far in front as you can like you are grasping for the edge of the pool. As you reach out in front you simply roll to the side from your hip, allowing your head and shoulders to roll with it and that should bring your face up out of the water enough to breathe. We are not doing the twist here so don't spin yourself over; it is just a nice gentle action. This technique also makes it so your shoulders are presenting a smaller surface to the water that you are trying to move through. If you only breathe by turning your head then your shoulders are remaining square to the water, this is called "swimming flat" and is less efficient.

The second principle of triathlon swimming is a much more limited kick. Real swimmers have a powerful kick and use if for maybe as much as 30% of their propulsion. A triathlete's kick is like a 98 pound weakling by comparison. The reason, of course, is that you use your legs for everything else so you don't want to tax them too much in the water. Essentially the triathlon swim kick is a pretty gentle flutter that does more to assist in keeping your balance in the water and has much less to do with propulsion. However, when you all become competitive triathletes you will want to begin to develop your kick so that you can bridge the gap between packs (cross a space of open water to get to a group of faster swimmers that are ahead of you) and to pass people.

Eventually it will be important for you to develop bilateral breathing (breathing on both the left and the right) because in open water swimming you do not have any choice as to what direction the waves are coming from and it takes surprisingly small chop (small swells in the water surface) to smack you in the face while you are trying to breathe. The other reason learning bilateral breathing is important is so you become a balanced swimmer. If you are always pulling along one side you become stronger on that side and your stroke is not as efficient on both sides. Also, in long distance races, for sure by the half-iron distance, it is nice to be able to give one side a rest by breathing to the other side. Oh, yet another reason is the sun…even in perfectly calm open water it is still unpleasant to be stuck staring into the sun every time you turn to breathe…it also makes navigation harder.

Swimming is a very difficult sport to learn so be patient. You will probably only be able to focus on learning one element of good swim technique at a time. I know that when I started learning to swim it felt like 25 meters of slow drowning and I would just go along struggling and then suddenly one day I discovered that I wasn't struggling and I could move on to another element of good technique.
2008-01-17 4:11 PM

Veteran
Hi Brian,
May I join your group?

Last year I did my first tri Subaru womans sprint and I also did Accenture sprint.
This year I would like to train for the Accenture olympic distance. I also have done 2 half marathons. If you meet me in public you would never have guessed. I am a very good swimmer, an ok biker and need improvement in running.

I love doing the tri's it is so much fun, I am in my mid 30's.

Thank You for helping us with the training and all

Sincerely,
Jeanette
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pilgrim's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 14