Saw Sports Production
67F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 25m 54s
Overall Rank = 100/141
Age Group = 24-29M
Age Group Rank = 9/10
Pre-race routine:

Not much of a pre-race routine this time. The freeway to get to the race was closed causing a lot of traffic and I a barely had time to get set up. They ended up delaying the start a little to allow more people to show up.
Event warmup:

Swam about 50 yards.
Swim
  • 28m 25s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

The race had two distances, a sprint and the longer event which I did and it was just a little shorter than a half IM and both races started together. The swim was two half mile loops. After the first loop you had to come out of the water run around a cone and head back in for the second loop. The total distance was 1 mile and it went really good. I came out of the water in 4th place in my age group.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This company does not use chips so they don't have the transition splits.
Bike
  • 2h 57m 45s
  • 52 miles
  • 17.55 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was pretty good. There was a lot more climbing than I thought. Most of the roads where in good condition but one had tons of pot holes and many of them where huge. There where a lot of flat tires. There where people stationed in two different spots handing out water bottles. The roads where not closed so there was some traffic, but it was light. All intersections where monitored by police personnel.

The only problem I had on the bike was with my aero mounted water bottle. I was carrying Accelerade in it and at one point on the second lap I hit a bump which cause the sponge on the top to come flying off. About 100 yards later I hit another bump which cause the Accelerade to splash all over me. At that point I riped the bottle off and poured it out. I then grabbed water at the station to wash myself off with. That Accelerade is sticky.
What would you do differently?:

Not go as hard of the first loop to save a little me for the second one.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This company does not use chips so they don't have the transition splits.
Run
  • 1h 59m 45s
  • 9 miles
  • 13m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was an out and back 9 mile run. Except for traversing the trail behind the "Rock", the course was flat. The trail behind the "Rock" is approximately 1/3 mile long one way with elevation change of 100 feet.

My run is and was the worst of my three events. I had never ran more than 7 miles so this was long for me. I defiantly need to work on my distance running.
Post race
Event comments:

Tri number 4 in the books. This was a great race. This was my first long distance event, up until know it has only been sprints. My main goal was to finish it and I did. I plan to do it next year with a full year training under my belt and hopefully break 5 hours.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-11-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:25 | 1760 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 0/141
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: The race had two distances, a sprint and the longer event which I did and it was just a little shorter than a half IM and both races started together. The swim was two half mile loops. After the first loop you had to come out of the water run around a cone and head back in for the second loop. The total distance was 1 mile and it went really good. I came out of the water in 4th place in my age group.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: