United States
26F / -3C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 13s
Overall Rank = 17/143
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Mom23 needed something to kick start our training again so in we were. Ominous name lived up to the bill. The truck thermometer said 22 when we arrived at the park. We put the bikes together & thanks to the kindness of a stranger, borrowed a pump & aired up our tires (our 12volt pump wouldn't work - probably was frozen...)
Event warmup:

sit in the truck with the heater going.....shucked a few layers & jogged to the start area in time for bathroom & pre-race meeting.
Run
  • 13m 29s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good on the initial run - this was the maiden run in my $40 Saucony's I found on the closeout rack at the Stride Rite store while shopping for the kid's shoes - Seeing as I haven't run but about 6 or 7 miles this year, I'm pretty happy with it.

Only problem...., within 1/2 mile my heart rate monitor had become a waist rate monitor
What would you do differently?:

adjust strap on HRM or just go without; I still don't know what my "zones" are anyway....
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Decent enough transition for me. Pulled out the waist-bound HRM, slapped on the shoes, ripped open a Clif shot & took 1 gulp (it was frozen thick) & a swig of gatorade

Learn the tricks to speed up transition
Bike
  • 33m 2s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out decent, surprisingly not as cold as I was expecting, except for my left fingers for some strange reason. I loaned mom23 my running gloves since it was so cold and so I used the built in hand covers on my base layer shirt for cover (but had no thumbs). We left our aero tanks back at the house in Allen (currently living in corporate housing while we relocate) so we had to make due with water bottles - I think neither one of us drank very much on the ride. The course had some fair hills and a little chip seal that was pretty rough. Didn't do much passing, but got passed by a lot of the short-course speedsters. Lack of saddle time started to get to me on the last 3 miles. Course was a little long (bike computer read 11.09 miles/33:17/20.1)

Have/use the profile tank; more t.i.t.s.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

A couple of sharp turns with the bike back into transition. Felt very stiff running with the bike. Couldn't get bent over to do my shoes, so I had to kneel down. Tried another shot of Clif, but it was even more frozen and had a hard time swallowing it (grabbed some water outside of transition to wash it down)

Achieve some semblence of flexibility...
Run
  • 14m 50s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Aside from the usual stiffness coming off the bike, I got up to stride again better than I was expecting. Held a pretty steady pace throughout. Gave mom23 a high five when we met on the course & finished up stronger than I expected.

train more, run faster, drink some more water
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water & went up the course to yell for mom23. Grabbed our goodies & milled around eating fruit & BBQ (Salt Lick BBQ!) After mom23 finished we layered back up & checked the preliminary results to find out we both had gotten some AG hardware (She 1st, me 2nd). This was a shocker for both of us (especially me). Talked with Dave Young a bit, got yelled at by the transition lady for lingering in transition area too long, & ate some more BBQ. Then picked up our AG award (an imprinted coffee mug), loaded the gear, grabbed a Starbucks & headed back to our corporate housing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, cold weather, missing key gear components, slow transitions, I could go on.

Event comments:

Good challenge for me personally. I needed something to spark the fire again (thanks mom23...!)

Last updated: 2008-01-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:29 | 02 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 23/143
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, out and back course - partial park road, partial woodchip trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:33:02 | 10 miles | 18.16 mile/hr
Overall: 15/143
Wind: Little
Course: 1 loop on some county & major roads - mostly seal coat with about 2/2.5 miles of chip seal
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:14:50 | 02 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 23/143
Course: same course - out & back on park roads & woodchip trail
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-01-20 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: Frost Yer Fanny

2008-01-20 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1166902

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Subject: RE: Frost Yer Fanny
Great job! Glad I could kick start your season, even if it was freaking freezing. Way to go on your hardware, or 'ceramic' I should say. How cute...now we have matching coffee mugs!
2008-01-21 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Great race, Maurice! Congrats on the "ceramic!" You and Kelley are brave to get out in that cold.
2008-01-21 8:03 AM

User image

Expert
way to brave out the cold - nice job
2008-01-21 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Nice report! Congrats on the hardware!
2008-01-21 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Nothing like starting the race season in 22 degree weather!  Great race Maurice!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Frost Yer Fanny Rss Feed