General Discussion Race Reports! » Painters 26th Annual Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Painters 26th Annual Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. George, Utah
United States
33F / 1C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 13m 44s
Overall Rank = 716/945
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 63/72
Pre-race routine:

I had a HORRIBLE nights sleep. The bed was hard, my sick kids were coughing all night, I felt that tickle at the back of the throat that says "dude, when you wake up you are going to have the nastiest sore throat". The throat was a tad icky feeling when I woke up, but all in all I felt ok. Fixed a couple bowls of Oatmeal, had a cup of oranges and a bottle of water and then began getting ready for the race.
Event warmup:

Jogged from the hotel to the race area. Did some more light stretching, and some mingling. It was pretty cold so I felt the need to keep hopping around and then just went for another jog.
Run
  • 2h 13m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out really well, too well. I was trying to keep up with my little sister, who was competing in her first race since high school. I looked down at the Garmin and it was reading 8:20's so I decided I would just run my own race and tone it down. Back when I was able to train regularly, I was doing my tempo runs at 8:40's, so I thought that it wouldn't be a problem racing at 8:50's. I held that pace through mile 4.5 (the hill) and slowed considerably. Just before marker 5 I started cramping up really bad. I knew there was an aid station not too far from this point so I went ahead and downed a CarbBoom. The cramping let off a little and things started to look good again. Then the hip flexor started in on me, then the lead legs began to work their heavy magic. It was at this point...around mile 8 that I realized that no matter how bad I wanted to finish in under 2 hours, I had been unable to get the training in that would allow that to happen. Damn my shoulder and back! Had it not been for a mid December injury, and 3 weeks of physical therapy, I would have nailed my goal...i know it! But I cant think that way...and once I realized it...I knew that I just needed to finish this race and move on with my life. I had a horrible finish (compared to my goals), but still finished ahead of my time last year on this course.
What would you do differently?:

There is really nothing I could have done. Training had gone really well until I was injured (non training injury).
Add some hill training into my program.
Post race
Warm down:

I didnt really do much of a warm down. Some light stretching mingled with conversing with my cousins who had finished well ahead of my and cheering for my sister in law who was still on her way in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I hate to keep harping on it...but the injury.

Event comments:

I can't wait to OWN this course next year!!
Till then, the 6 Tunnels 1/2 Marathon training begins.

Last updated: 2008-01-02 12:00 AM
Running
02:13:44 | 13.1 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 63/72
Overall: 716/945
Performance: Below average
Course: The course is fairly flat, but maybe deceivingly so. The first 4 miles are flat and then you hit a pretty long and fairly steep climb up to the 5 mile mark. From here it levels out again through mile 8. 8 through 10 is a gradual climb that sucks...just sucks! Makes me think that next time around I will include more hill training into my regimen.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-01-21 12:07 AM

Expert
Las Vegas
Subject: Painters 26th Annual Half Marathon

2008-01-21 8:36 PM
in reply to: #1167367

Extreme Veteran
earth
Subject: RE: Painters 26th Annual Half Marathon
Nice job my friend!  Not too shabby after coming off Injured Reserve a few weeks ago. And next year you'll just have to kick it's !
2008-01-22 4:52 PM
in reply to: #1167367

User image

Subject: RE: Painters 26th Annual Half Marathon

Nice job Ryan especially considering how you had to modify your workouts in December. I think the fact that you pr'd this course says a lot about you and how your overall training has come along.

WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Painters 26th Annual Half Marathon Rss Feed