PR Racing Inc.
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 37m 14s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 680/
Pre-race routine:

Did my p90x plyometrics workout yesterday, then drove over to miami to my brother-in-law's house where we were staying.

Before geting to my bil's house we went to the expo which was awesome. I purchased some new Brooks beast and decided i would run in the tomorrow. New gear on race day? I know better but did it anyway and would pay for it.

We ordered sushi for dinner and i stuck with my high protein diet - although i had some rice - it was within my carb allowance for the day.

We went to sleep at 10pm and had to wake up at 4:45 - We did not get 6.5 hours as there was a party across the street until 2 am and the kids were up all night. I set the alarm clock wrong and luckily woke up by chance. On the way to the race i got lost and flipped out cause we were pinched for time. We made it, parked and got to warmup
Event warmup:

Did some stretching and a little knee highs and some yoga poses for a light warmup. My plan was just to finish this race without pushing myself too hard because my training since nov has been slim to none. In ym mind i would have impressed myself with a 15 minute pace but was well ware that just a finish is a big accomplishment.
Run
  • 3h 37m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 16m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

The first three miles i did a 2:1 run walk, but i started to feel a little tired and blistery due to the new shoes and slowed to a 1:1. I had maintained a 14min pace until that point. I then started doing shorter run distances, and walked faster. By mile 8 i was exactly at 2:00 so i was on target for the 15 min pace. After that point though my feet were screaming pain. I was doing what i could to block it out, but that really just afforded me enough to continue walking with some sparing running. I ran a small portion of each mile until the end, but the pain was really bad. I made it to the finish line and Claudie was waiting for me.
What would you do differently?:

Consistent training and no new gear on race day
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water, banana, oatmeal cookie and headed to the car and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, new equipment, training properly. Even the training could have prevented the blisters as my feet would have been more accustomed to the distance, as my legs did not feel bad at the end - my feet did.

Last updated: 2008-01-27 12:00 AM
Running
03:37:14 | 13.1 miles | 16m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Awesome course - Lots of spectators and beautiful scenery. Flat course with the exception of some bridges.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-01-27 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Estero, FL
Subject: ING Miami Half Marathon

2008-01-28 7:42 PM
in reply to: #1178704

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Subject: RE: ING Miami Half Marathon
Owen! Great jo, despite the new gear.  Ouch!  I hope you're feelin great   today!
2008-02-01 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Ahh...the temptation of running in new shoes got you.  Bummer!

Live and learn, but at least you finished and weren't those post-race cookies tasty...

Recovery the feet and enjoy running again, -Sunny 

2008-02-01 2:52 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Dang those new Brooks~

It shows mental strength to push on for miles with blisters. Hope they heal up fast and they allow you to keep on training smart.

Proud of you to be back at it and staring with a 1/2 Mary. I had surgery mid-Oct and I'm only up to running 8 miles.

Congrats! 

2008-02-13 8:02 AM

User image

Veteran

If the probability Gods have mandated that you have one bad race a year, let it be the one you haven't trained your heart out on! So, now you have THAT out of the way!!

Good work pushing through and finishing!  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ING Miami Half Marathon Rss Feed