United States
20F / -7C
Sunny
Total Time = 44m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 30/341
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30AM! Ate oatmeal and drank a glass of hydralite.
Event warmup:

Ran about a mile...

Run
  • 44m 10s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

While I didn't post a good first mile time, I did position myself well for the start. I was about 15 feet deep, and along the edge. Lots of clear space when the race started.

Race started 25 minutes late.

Course was flat.
What would you do differently?:

When my Sister and I left for the race the temp was less than 20 degrees. Plus it was VERY windy! I wore a loose fitting Nike jogging outfit to the race. I also brought tights, a long sleeve air-max shirt, air-max shorts, and a air max short sleeve shirt if I decided to change my mind.

I decided to run in the Nike outfit. BAD decision! First, I quickly learned I had on too much clothing. Sun came up. Argh. Worse though, after a 1/4 of a mile my jogging pants began to sag and I realized that they were to big...for the rest of the race I was forced to periodically "hike up" my pants (this was the first time I had raced in this outfit since last winter)! Because they were so loose I never got a chance to truly lit it rip as personal comfort was TERRIBLE. Grr.. Just as bad, my top jacket had a hood...and all the way down we ran into the wind...serious DRAG. I was also plagued for most of the race with the need to relieve myself...yessh

All these issues sapped me of desire. I started to beat myself up mentally...Not a pretty picture.

Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit before attempting to find my Sister.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My issues! By mile 2 I was a mess mentally and had cast aside any hopes of doing sub 7 minute miles...I just tried to find a "running comfort zone."

I broke out of my funk around mile 4 and tried to muscle it home. But upon finishing I still had a fair amount of energy left in the tank.

All this said, I still pb'ed by 8 minutes... and I still placed relatively high... and I ended up being much closer to my goal time than I expected (I really must've smoked the last 2 miles)... So that bouyed my spirits... But then I reflect on what I could've done if I had better prepared myself. Top 10 for my AG was a definite possiblity. As was a 6:50 per mile pace.

But again. I can't gripe much. LOL. Last year at this event I ran a time of 53:20. I've come a LONG way! =)

Last updated: 2004-11-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:44:10 | 06.2 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/341
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
First mile was 7:30. Ouch! After my third mile, total time was 22 minutes...
Course: Course was an out and back that started at the Cobo arena.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-11-25 10:51 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Subject: Detroit Turkey Trot

2004-11-26 11:48 AM
in reply to: #86644

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Detroit Turkey Trot
Good grief, friend. Sounds like you really had a day of it. (And the night before traveling certainly was no fun either.) Funny that it was windy there because it was fairly still in GR. Or perhaps your "sail-like" outfit magnified the breeze.

At 7:07, you didn't miss sub-7s by much, so I still say nice job and I still say I would have been about 6 minutes behind you on my best day. Perhaps this was more of a mental race for you than a physical race. Hope your Detroit visit didn't include the Lions game. Now sitting through THAT at Ford Field would have required a mental workout.

Great run, in spite of the challenges!!
2004-11-26 11:13 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Hey, you may not have had your best race but like you said, you've come a long way since last year. Great accomplishment! Way to go, Fromer!!!
2004-11-27 12:42 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-11-27 1:00 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Congrates on pushing through your mental wall!  You had a great time!  I'm very envious of you
2004-11-27 2:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
Singapore
Holy smokes! This time is SOOOO MUCH better than last year's!! You've improved a TONNE! Great job dispite the huge aerodynamic disadvantage you had cause of the hood. =)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Detroit Turkey Trot Rss Feed