Run Indiana
31F / -1C
Overcast
Total Time = 31m 45s
Overall Rank = 80/250
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/12
Pre-race routine:

My pre-race routine started out on Friday evening. It was 30 degrees outside, winds at 30mph with gusts to 45mph and snowing. This is after the temp dropped from the mid-fifties and rained for two straight days changing to sleet then to snow and I am suppossed to run tomorrow morning? I told my wife if I hadn't pre-registered I wouldn't run tomorrow. Then I start to think, it's only $15 dollars, who cares, I am not running. But then I would have to call Eric, my neighbor and tell him I am not running and it was too late in the evening. I wouldn't of called him anyway, I will wait 'till morning and decide. Well I get up at 7am and eat some oatmeal, this after I looked outside and other than being 30 degrees outside, the wind was stopped and so had the rain/sleet/snow. So I grab my bag and leave the house at 7:45 w/ Eric following.
Event warmup:

We get checked in and go for a 1/2-3/4 mile jog. It is cold and my legs feel real heavy at this point. This is the most clothing I have ran in yet this year including a sock hat and fleece gloves. The sun was actually breaking as the race start neared and should leave a really nice run with the snow on the trees and hills of the cemetary.
Run
  • 31m 45s
  • 4.07 miles
  • 07m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I start out very near the front of the group w/ Eric and I was actually not nervous much at all. I was a little psyched but not really nervous and I usually am. I have had a goal to break 30 min's in this race, it's my second time doing this and last year I was 35.45 w/ about 2mo's training and hear I am one year later wanting almost 6 min's off my time in one year of base training.

Well the conditions were such that I wasn't worried about hitting my goal but a personal best would do. The road conditions were icy and slick, I had my foot slip out from under me several times almost falling. You had to find a tire track from a car that had been by and run in it. The problem was then being behind a slower runner and you would definately worry about slipping as you went around. So it was a cautious beginning but at the 2 mile mark I was at 16:16, my first thought was wow, not too bad considering, then I thought if I pick it up I might have that 30 min's. Of course I didn't think until later that I would of had to run my last two miles quicker than I have ever on these same conditions. Any way I decide to pick up the pace as best I could and focused my attention on catching the pack of about 20 runners that were probably 30 yrds in front of my at my pace.

I would catch the trailers of the pack on each hill and eventually pass them but I couldn't catch the pack itself. The hills were actually my strength in this race, they felt good and I was catching people. The pack wasn't pulling away I just couldn't get closer and I would continually pick up the pace.

Well I get to the 3 mile mark and I am at 24:06 this time my first thought was no way I run a sub 6 min mile and I had this negative feeling that man I am not even going to beat last years time. I just run a sub 8 min mile and I am worried about doing the last mile in what 9 min's. Get a grip, in these conditions I just really started looking around. I kept pace with the group ahead and just enjoyed it. The cemetary was beatiful in the first snow, The trees, the grounds the headstones. This is a very old cemetary and just beautiful. I enjoy being out side on Thanksgiving morning in this cold weather with 250 very nice people. I head out of the cemetary still trailing my 'lead' group. I have closed on a few more of them but did this without really thinking about it. We have hit the 800 meter point and I try to pick up the pace. This last 1/2 mile is on about a 2-3% incline until your hit the 200 meter point and then it is on a very slick iced over sidewalk w/ snow all over it. Very nice for the finishing kick. I catch about half the lead pack and by lead I mean my lead pack. The winners were done when I was coming upon mile 3 I think. Any way I see my race time and although I was off my goal, which was set in September at my peak in fitness on a sunny afternoon after a nice run, I am pleased. I was at 31:45 and that is 4 min's off last years time or a min per mile faster after one year of training and no speed work. I have wanted to just build base and I am very pleased. I nice way to start my winter training.

My splits break down like this 8:16 8:00 7:50 7:38

I would have to thank my lead/pace group. Even though I couldn't catch them they definatley paced me. I don't normally run 7:38 on the last mile of any run.
What would you do differently?:

Not be so negative the night before. I don't think it affected my race but maybe it did sub-consiously. I think the pre-race routine was perfect. Oatmeal, jog ect.. I am pretty sure under good conditions I would break 30 min's for the 4 miles so I feel pretty good.
Post race
Warm down:

Got gatorade, I didn't take any water at the aid station, and water then I jogged down to the 200 meter point to chear on Eric. He wouldn't be able to see the finish from this point and I wanted to give him that extra kick that it was almost over.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ice, slick roads/sidewalks, snow, cold, it was the coldest it has been yet this year and was 50 for the last week or so. 30 degrees outide, did I mention that? Lack of real running in the last 2 months since the tri season finished.

Event comments:

This is the first race I have done for the second time thru. Last year my time was 35.45. I really like this course and I like running Thanksgiving morning. I like doing something that most people don't even consider to do on a holiday. For me it takes away the stress of the day, I have already run 4 miles today, bring whatever happens on. And this year to run in these conditions well it is a nice conversation starter with the real runner in the family my father in law....and he didn't run today. So it was cool. The race is held at the University and we have access to showers afterwards. That is very cool and I was able to get ready and head home in a lot quicker time than if I tried to get home, play with the kids, take a shower, play with kids, pack my bag, play with kids then pack to car to leave. See so by running I save time. At least that is how I explain it hear.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-11-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:45 | 04.07 miles | 07m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 80/250
Performance: Good
Course: The run starts out at University of St Francis. The start is about a 1/2 mile downhill and to the cemetery entrance then 3 miles up and down the hills and then 1/2 mile back up the hill to the finish.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-11-27 12:06 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Galloping Gobbler II

2004-11-27 1:23 PM
in reply to: #86896

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Galloping Gobbler II
great race rio...despite the horrible conditions...glad you didnt get hurt.
2004-11-27 11:49 PM
in reply to: #86896

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

I have added some pictures, the first one is of the leader and winner in 20:53.  It also shows the snow.  The second picture is of Eric, egates656, and so is the 3rd picture.  He is the one in grey and black losing to the girl with the dog.  .  The final picture is off the cemetary and some of the course.  The first picture also shows the ice on the course and one of the downhill parts. 

Thanks, Ron.

2004-11-29 12:59 PM
in reply to: #87046

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Great job Jim!!! Way to push through the negativity and have a great race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Galloping Gobbler II Rss Feed