General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Getting back in shape after heart surgery Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-02 7:19 PM

User image

Buffalo, NY
Subject: Getting back in shape after heart surgery
Had quintuple bypass in July 07 at the age of 42 and a friend called me in the hospital and said I'd recover and that we do a triathlon this year. Well, I don't think he figured on me doing so well and I have him scared now. Running, biking and weight training is going well, I just need to get my swimming started.

I'm feeling great and really looking forward to choosing a sprint triathlon in Western New York, Buffalo area. There are a couple to choose from. I did 2 sprint triathlons about 15 years ago an I used to do a lot of 5k's and I am excited to be in good enough shape to fulfill one of my goals post-surgery.

I've been reading the posts and using it as self-motivation and reassurrance that getting back at it is tough for everyone. I'm not alone in my quest.

Michael

2008-02-02 7:51 PM
in reply to: #1191465

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX
Subject: RE: Getting back in shape after heart surgery

Welcome to the sport especially considering your recovery. There are some others here who've had heart surgery - even valve replacements - and have gone on to Iron distance races. I've got two valves that are failing and will eventually need to be replaced, so you are an inspiration to me.

Be active on the boards. And be sure to post a race report on your first race!

mman

2008-02-04 6:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Nevada City with my BABY!
WOW...great job at recovering!! Welcome to BT!
2008-02-04 8:24 PM

User image

Buffalo, NY
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I need to find out about effects of heat and/or dehydration on folks who have had similar surgery and then done tri's. I look forward to posting my race preparations on BT.

Thanks again.
2008-02-04 8:33 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Great recovery!  I met a lady last year who took a season off for open heart surgery.  Her main coronary artery had a kink in it so surgery was the only option.  We were on a group pre-ride and pre run of a race course that we raced on just a couple weeks later.  She is also a marathon training team leader for our local fall marathon so GO FOR IT!! Enjoy the process.  Welcome to BT
2008-02-04 8:40 PM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
Michael, what a great goal to have to motivate you to get up and active after surgery.  I bet your friend is saying to himself "uh oh, what kind of monster have I created!?"    Lots of great resources for you here at BT.  Welcome!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Getting back in shape after heart surgery Rss Feed