East End Runner
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 20m 49s
Overall Rank = 13/83
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

I had a power bar, banana, and small cup of black coffee two hours prior to race start.
Event warmup:

Jogged around a little bit through a nice field and on the sidewalk. Popped a tangerine 2X caffeine Powerbar gel.
Run
  • 20m 49s
  • 3.1 kms
  • 06m 43s  min/km
Comments:

Right away I could sense there were a fair share of sub 20 5k runners; unlike the last local race. I started out much easier than my last 5k three weeks ago and still managed to stay a half dozen strides behind the lead pack for about a 1/4 mile. After about a half mile they took off, and that was fine with me. I wanted to try and maintain a 6:20-ish pace. I didn't want to go 5:50 like the first mile in my last 5k and then feel like I was going to die or pass-out the last mile! Instead I stayed a little more within myself and I felt like it was going to pay-off as I only slowed down a little bit my the end of the second mile, which was close to my "plan". The last mile was entirely flat and mostly straight with one turn, downhill, and then a straightaway to the finish. The "plan" was to stay steady for the first and second mile, and then throw the after-burners on for the final mile. When I hit the third and final mile, and had nothing but football fields of flat, perfectly straight pavement in front of me, I hit the after-burners but not much happened. I felt like Han Solo in the Millennium Falcon. I knew their were enemy ships (runners) right on my tail and I said aloud, "Lightspeed Chewie!" but lightspeed was a dud. As 3CPO states, "the hyperdrive motivator must be damaged!" And the only way to fix my whose-it-was-it-drive motivator is with some TRACK WORK.
What would you do differently?:

Not set unrealistic goals, such as a sub 20 minute 5k, when I am physically not capable of it ...yet.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of TRACK WORK and SPEEDWORK.

Event comments:

This was an excellent local race, scenic course (partially along water), and I can't wait to race it in the warmer weather.

Last updated: 2008-01-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:49 | 03.1 kms | 06m 43s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 13/83
Performance: Average
Course: This was an ideal 5k course. It started and finished next to a beautiful park (Agawam Park, Southampton) that was right on an inlet, and on the adjoining side was a beautiful, big historic building. The course was uber flat and pretty much one big box. We ran past mulit-million dollar mansions on huge piece of property; the Southampton police blocked off the streets; this was one of the nicest courses I've raced. There were no fans or spectators on the course, but I didn't expect any - which is fine because this is a 5k, not a half marathon or even 10k, for that matter.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes