General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Catholics, fasting and training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-02-06 9:39 AM

Subject: Catholics, fasting and training
Where do my fellow catholics wiegh in on following lenten regulations during training? For the past couple of years, I've reasoned that fasting during training would be determential to my health. I'm talking about Ash Wensday and Good Friday. I know eating no meat but fish is healthy. Feel free to support or criticise me.

2008-02-06 9:49 AM
in reply to: #1196914

Subject: RE: Catholics, fasting and training
I am curious too. I go to an Anglican (formerly Episcopal) church, and the church still observes Lent. In the devotional that my young adult community put together, it suggests several things including fasting from Thursday night until Friday dinner. I am thinking this might be a bad idea, if I were to train on Friday mornings, not having eaten anything since dinner and not eating anything again until dinner that night. I mean, I don't HAVE to do it (it's only a suggestion and they made the caveat that for health reasons, juice, etc is okay), but I am curious as to what others think.
2008-02-06 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1196939

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-02-06 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1196951

wgraves7582 - 2008-02-06 10:53 AM
wurkit_gurl - 2008-02-06 10:49 AM I am curious too. I go to an Anglican (formerly Episcopal) church, and the church still observes Lent. In the devotional that my young adult community put together, it suggests several things including fasting from Thursday night until Friday dinner. I am thinking this might be a bad idea, if I were to train on Friday mornings, not having eaten anything since dinner and not eating anything again until dinner that night. I mean, I don't HAVE to do it (it's only a suggestion and they made the caveat that for health reasons, juice, etc is okay), but I am curious as to what others think.
By juices are you allowed smoothies? The reason I ask is that our Pastor gave up food for 40 days and did the smoothing thing. I know you will not be sent to H*LL if you do this, but what are your personal feelings on smoothies and being liquid, not food?

Funny you should say that! The devotional said if for health reasons, it's necessary, juice is okay. If you HAVE to, a smoothie is the next option I feel like a smoothie is more "food-like", but also, I understand the pastor's concerns about not wanting people to drop from hypoglycemia. I think the understanding is also, if fasting is dangerous for you, don't do it. Jesus won't mind

2008-02-06 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1196951

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Break it down between abstinance and fasting.

Abstinence from meat is required every Friday during Lent (and is the norm on Fridays the rest of the year) Meat flavored stocks are ok.

Fasting is required on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. At a minimal, fasting consists of one simple regular meal and two small meals/snacks during the day. Liquids, including smoothies, do not count as meals.

And as usual, a total fast from everything except water and medicine is required one hour before receiving the Eucharist.

(disclaimer: just my understanding, talk to your pastor or bishop to confirm)

Edited by dontracy 2008-02-06 10:19 AM
2008-02-06 10:31 AM
in reply to: #1196939

The smoothies are a good idea. For me, they're rather more expenisve than meals b/c I'm living on campus and my parents pay for my meal plan, but not my grocery bill. (Sidenote: if I mentioned it to my parents they would tell me to ignore the fasting) In the future, I think I'll try getting by with smoothies if I feel the meals are too limiting.

2008-02-06 10:49 AM

Veteran

Just like everything else with triathlons, it's a matter of priorities. It was suggested to me that I give up training on workdays during Lent to be able to attend daily Mass. Being that it came from someone I trust, I did consider it, really. I am working my training around fasting during Lent. I hashed out a plan with my priest that looks workable from here taking into account training and work. Ask me again after Easter.

For me, the most important aspect of the fast is to feel hunger, both to remind me of my hunger for Christ and of those people who are hungry for lack of food. Following the requirement that fasting allows for one simple meal and two small meals, I reason that there are many people who do manual labor to exceed the calorie expenditure of my training on less food, so some training (short duration, low intensity) on fast days is fine.

Edited by Episcopit 2008-02-06 10:50 AM
2008-02-06 12:39 PM

Master
West Jordan, UT

How much training are we talking?  If you are at about an hour a day, I think you'll be fine.  I probably wouldn't do more than that on a restricted diet. 

2008-02-06 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1197074

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

zellie - Sidenote: if I mentioned it to my parents they would tell me to ignore the fasting) In the future, I think I'll try getting by with smoothies if I feel the meals are too limiting.

I think it's great that you take your faith seriously enough to ask the question about fasting and training.

And I'm sure that your parents are great people and love you very much. Probably not a good idea, though, to ignore any of the obligations of the church. Doing so might constitute grave matter. And as you know, grave matter is one of the three conditions necessary to commit a mortal sin, the others being knowledge of the matter and full consent.

I struggled with this same thing the first two years I did tris. I'm satisfied now that you can train safe and smart and follow the minimal church obligations.

Of course Espiscopit is choosing to go deeper with it, and that is a blessing to all of us.

Here are the obligations for Lent this year as prescribed by the United States Council of Catholic Bishops:

FAST AND ABSTINENCE AND OTHER ACTS OF PENANCE FOR LENT 2008

The Bishops of the United States prescribe, as minimal obligation, that all persons who are fourteen years of age and older are bound to abstain from eating meat on Ash Wednesday, on all Fridays of Lent and Good Friday. Further, all persons eighteen years of age and older, up to and including their fifty-ninth (59th) birthday, are bound to fast by limiting themselves to a single full meal on Ash Wednesday and on Good Friday, while the other two meals on those days are to be light.

All the faithful are encouraged, when possible, to participate at Mass and to receive the Holy Eucharist daily, to celebrate frequently the Sacrament of Penance, to undertake spiritual reading, especially the study of the Sacred Scriptures, and to participate in parish Lenten devotions as well as Lenten education programs. Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is especially recommended.

All are encouraged to participate in "Operation Rice Bowl", which has aided countless hungry persons here in the Archdiocese as well as throughout our nation and our world.

Edited by dontracy 2008-02-06 1:20 PM
2008-02-06 2:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
This is my second season of tri during lent. I keep to a moderate observance of liquids on fasting days and I usually try to schedule my day off the day following the fast day as my metabolism is such that I really weaken after not eating solid food for a full day. Seems to work fine for me.
2008-02-07 3:20 PM

Champion
Richmond, VA

My take for yesterday was that I got 5 meals and I ate 5 meals.  But then after a 3 mile run, a lifting session - my egg omellette just didn't suffice - so at 10:15 I had half  PB sandwich.  So I really got 5 and a half meals in yesterday.

I don't feel guilty about it because I had the meal for my health - I was light headed and was planning an early morning workout.  I didn't grab a bag of chips and much away.  I didn't grab some cookies for a snack.

I'll follow the no meat on Friday's during lent.  And I'll avoid eating between meals on Good Friday.

I honestly don't know if I'm strict to the rules, but I live by the creed that religion is inherently between a person and their God.  I set my rules, God hasn't told me specifically he objects.  I'll go from there.

As for training - I don't see the two conflicting except for knowing you'll be eating fish as your protein on Fridays - but I have a rather narrow view of the world.

2008-02-07 4:18 PM

I think I'm going to do what our young adult service pastor suggested in our devotional; nothing after dinner on Thursday until dinner on Friday, except water and heavily diluted Gatorade (which he said was okay, along with juice if we like) so I don't dehydrate. He doesn't want anyone passing out, or starving themselves, esp. since we're all 20-30 somethings, who work too hard with little rest and esp. for women, who may have body image issues.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-02-07 4:18 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Catholics, fasting and training Rss Feed