General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
HUNTINGTON BEACH, California
United States
48F / 9C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 44m 29s
Overall Rank = 697/1087
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 87/116
Pre-race routine:

Had a banana and a granola bar at about 5am. We drove down to the site and arrived around 5:45ish and proceeded to sit in the car cause we wanted to stay dry as long as possible. It was a constant drizzle of rain with the winds picking up. We tied plastic bags around our feet in hopes of keeping them dry until the race start but that didn't work at all. It only trapped water inside the bags and sloshed every time we took a step. So wet feet for everyone!
Event warmup:

Stretched a little and waited till the very last moment to head out of the expo tent and onto the street to start.
Run
  • 4h 44m 29s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

In spite of the crappy weather, I had a decent run for the first 18 miles. I was staying where I wanted, at a 9:10 or so pace. Between miles 18 and 19 the bottom outside of my left foot really started giving me some problems. So much so, that I had to stop and fidgit with it. I had to walk a little, then the pain would subside, then I'd run again till it hurt, then have to walk. So the last 8 or so miles were done doing this. It's feeling a lot better (it's Thursday after the Sunday run) and I'm hoping it's nothing serious like a stress fracture. I'm pretty dissapointed with my time and I'm hoping to destroy that in the next marathon I do.
What would you do differently?:

I need more long runs in my training. I wasn't able to do as many long runs as I wanted and I feel like that may have been my problem. My feet weren't used to taking abuse for that long.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some water, although I really didn't need it and went looking for the food. I could not find it anywhere. The beer tent popped right out at me so I had a beer. Then I found my girlfriend (who broke 4 hours) and we went to breakfast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My foot and the weather. It was miserable weather. I've run 2 marathons now and both have been in the rain.........so, don't sign up for any marathons with me. I seem to be rotten luck.

Event comments:

I'm sure this would have been an amazing race if the weather had cooperated. There were pretty much no crowds, and the volunteers (who were amazing to be standing out in the weather for as long as they did) were pretty miserable too. It seems that the people coming in from the marathon missed any kind of band that was playing at the end and from what I heard most of the food was gone by then too. Other than that....it was fantastic! The people that made it out and braved the weather should be proud.

Last updated: 2008-02-07 12:00 AM
Running
04:44:29 | 26.2 miles | 10m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 87/116
Overall: 697/1087
Performance: Below average
Course: The course started off very nice. We ran up the Pacific Coast Highway and then veered off into some neighborhoods. We ventured into a couple bike trails though the woods which was a nice change of pace. By mile 10 or so we headed back out onto the Pacific Coast Highway and had about a 4 mile straighaway then we turned around and went back the same way, then we turned around again and ran back only this time on the bike trail along the beach and then turned around one more time to head back. I wouldn't have minded a little more variety than the out back, out back. The course was in great shape except for the puddles, but after 13 miles my feet were so wet that I stopped avoiding them all together.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-02-07 1:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Subject: Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon

2008-02-07 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1199466

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon

You know, anyone who actually finished this race at all had a really good day. Don't let your Elapsed Time be the sole measure of success with this race. It was a very tough day, especially for the full marathoners.

That turn at mile 16 put you guys right out into the weather with no protection and that is where most folks started to really fade. One of my training partners knew the course (And that at mile 16, he was only a short distance from the finish and his car) called it a day rather than make the turn. (Just was not worth it for him I guess)

I am sure wet socks and soggy shoes contributed greatly to your foot issues and it will surely clear up quickly. (Hoping it is not an Sfx)

Great job out there. Oh and your right, you will tear it up with your next marathon assuming that weather conditions are better.

Good on Ya

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed