Space Coast Runners
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 47s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Normal get up and ready. Start sipping gatorade. Doubleshot an hour and half hour before race.
Event warmup:

General strethcing and a couple short runs.
Run
  • 2h 47m 47s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I was right on my 11' pace for the first 7 miles. Then I had a very strange experience during a half marathon Sunday that I had never heard of before. I did everything the same the 15K two weeks ago except I have been sick and had more rest before this race. I knew it was a bad day from the beginning with high HR at slightly slower pace than two weeks ago. I was still on goal pace until about mile 7 when HR got too high and had to start slowing down. I took gatorade every mile and gu every 3 miles with water. About mile 8 or so, I couldn't keep my arms up any more and I started running as if I had pasley or something. What was so strange was that I was still mentally sharp, I wasn't in any pain and not hurting any more than expected. But I basically ran the last 5 miles with a weird gait and my arms at my sides.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure what caused condition. Was on goal pace, drank right, gu's right. Not over heated.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked some and then got food and gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inability to control arms and legs last 5 miles. :-) One thing was even with all these problems, I was only 10' slower than last year in this race, so getting better at this running stuff :-)

Event comments:

Coolest thing was Jeff Galloway was a featured guest. He ran the first loop of the marathon. The race numbers have our name on it and when he passed me in the other direction (marathoners started 45' earlier) he said good going Cameron! Of course if he had seen me later he would have had to say something else :-)

Great race. Well run and lots of great volunteers.

Last updated: 2004-11-29 12:00 AM
Running
02:47:47 | 13.1 miles | 12m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back along river. Flat and mostly shaded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes