Other Resources My Cup of Joe » martial arts and tri's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-09 4:29 PM

san antonio
Subject: martial arts and tri's
I am trianing for my first Tri. I just tested for my second degree black belt. Is there anyone else out there that is also into Martial Arts? I find myself missing the small acompishments with Martial Arts training. I had forgotten about endurance training and that some days it is just about showing up and doing what feels like the same old thing. Can you tell I am tired? Just wanted to see if someone could help me keep it in perspective.
Dawn :-)

2004-02-09 9:25 PM
in reply to: #6624

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Subject: RE: martial arts and tri's
Dawn,
I too am training for my first triathlon. Congrats and good luck. I haven't taken any martial arts since college and have been thinking about rejoining a school. What discipline do you study?
2004-02-10 10:10 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I used to take karate in the late sixties and early seventies. I haven't done any in many years but I do yoga which I find has many elements in common with tai chi. I am also doing my first tri in May. You are right about showing up...I did not even want to get out of bed this morning let alone go to the gym and do stationary cycling...but I did and I feel great! I'm going back for seconds at lunch!!
2004-02-10 3:23 PM
in reply to: #6652

san antonio
I study a progressive blend on Jujitsu and TaeKwon Do. I love it, but I find sharing the mental space between Tri and Martial Arts is difficult. Did ride yesterday and felt better and ran some speed work today. I am wondering if I am fighting getting sick. Wednesday is my usual brick day and I am wondering if I should push it or not. Guess I will decide that in the morning.
2004-02-11 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
I studied Judo for a number of years. I did both for two years. The flexibility of Judo helped me in triathlons, but the occational shoulder pain, or twisted ankle did not. I am thinking about starting up again with Judo, but I want to get my first Ironman in. If you have time and enjoy both, great.
2004-02-11 11:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
Interesting, I was thinking about starting a MA class in August after my tri.  I was thinking about either taekwon do because the kicking looks cool, or aikido because the movements look cool.  I have zero experience with any of these, so I can only base it on what they look like.  I was following rec.martialarts usenet group for a week or so, but the posting was mostly pretty lame.  How does doing, say, judo compare with taekwon do?  I'd like to get into it partly for the mental and partly for the physical.  I don't care about self defense, but competition would be fun.  What did you folks get out of studying your martial arts?

2004-02-12 6:21 AM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi

I'm a brown belt in Tae Kwon Do. Studied over here in Korea. Used it to get back in shape, prior to taking up tri's again. It was a blast. It's the national sport of Korea, so all the kids take it like baseball back in the states. Tae Kwon Do is a kicking and punching art while Judo is a grabing and throwing art. My master suggested Judo as a perfect compliment to TKD since Judo is up close fighting and TKD is for fighting at a distance.

JD

2004-02-12 6:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Judo is almost more like wrestling then most other martial arts. We throw eachother around, do hold downs, and joint locks. The best thing that has helped me in life and Tris, is the ability to stay calm and relaxed, even durning extreme physical activity.
2004-02-14 4:44 AM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
I've studied a little Akido in college and it really pushed me into the spiritual aspect of MA. No black belt or anything major but since I've studied a little Jeet Kune Do, Escrima, Juijitsu and Copoiera (not only can I not spell it I have forgotten it all anyways!) Early on I got into the Zen behind it all. I read a lot about breathing and mental focus, etc. that I now use everyday, especially in this endurance training stuff I've signed up for. Whenever I get bored with my "routine" training I think back to the moving zen of it all, re-focus on my movements, concnetrate on my breathing and start counting the black lines at the t bottom of the pool again....
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » martial arts and tri's Rss Feed