UC Irvine Triathlon Club
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Set up my transition area, there weren't enough bike racks, so I squeezed in. The fact that the racks were tight was born out by my first transition.
Event warmup:

stretching and jogging.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 250 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Swam very well, happy with my new stroke, still have much room for improvement, but felt good.
What would you do differently?:

Remember my goggles, although I borrowed a lovely pink pair from a USC coed who was very nice.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Okay, this is where it got weird. We were all crammed onto these insufficiently numerous bike racks. I laid out my towel with my bike shoes and helmet ready to go. I had run with my gloves on because it was chilly. So I finish the run, get to my spot, and my shoes are gone, vanished. And my goggles are not where I left them. someone had sabotaged my transition zone, or so I thought, I called over an official and he told me he saw a guy having difficulty getting his shoes on. I told him that's because they were my shoes. I look a few spaces over and there are a pair of nearly identical Forte shoes. He's mistakenly taken mine. Okay, he rode off, so we have the same kind of pedal clips, and the must have fit a little. so I put on his shoes, a size and a half too big, and do the bike in the other guys shoes.

From now on I'm marking all my equipment with red paint or marker to avoid the same kind of thing in the future.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 10 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

There was no indication on any of the race website about how gruelling this bike course was going to be. For some it might have been no big deal, but for me it was tough.

Ride wearing my own shoes
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

went fine, saw the guy coming in and said "Dude, we switched shoes!" he was a little embarrassed, but I told him not to worry about it. It was kind of comical that we completed the ride in each other's shoes.

more hill work had I known
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

No warning that the run course was a cross-country 5k, with large gravel, dirt, mud, slick grass, tough hills, and some holes and a bit of ankle danger. More than one person twisted an ankle, one guy had his all wrapped up. I ran my first mile in 8 minutes, which was awesome, then came the hill, and that was that timewise.

I just wish I'd known the course better.
Post race
Event comments:

I talked to the guy I switched shoes with and we had a laugh about it. His name was Mike and he and his wife and their friends did the Hemet race that I did too.

My transitions were a comedy of errors, but this was a tough-ass race. No personal bests were going to be set with the hills on this thing. very happy I swam well.

Last updated: 2008-01-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 250 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: pool course
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 10 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Hills. Hills. Lots of hills. It was gruelling.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course: All cross-country dirt, grass, HILLS.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-02-16 2:54 PM

Los Angeles, CA
Subject: UCI Zot Trot Triathlon
This was a good second tri, the course was much harder than Hemet, and for a first timer would have been tough. By that I mean a first timer named Scone.

Edited by Scone_Mason 2008-02-16 2:58 PM

2008-02-16 3:57 PM
in reply to: #1216092

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: UCI Zot Trot Triathlon
Great job on an unexpectedly tough course! Sounds like you made a wonderful day of it anyway, and, well, as for the shoes--that's just about the funniest thing I've heard in a race report. Congratulations!
2008-02-16 6:34 PM
in reply to: #1216156

Los Angeles, CA
It was so bizarre, you know you were there 25 minutes earlier, and now your shoes are gone. how could my shoes be gone? When the race worker and I saw the other shoes we just laughed. You should have heard me, I was swearing up a storm as only I can, but in a funny way, and I just put the shoes on and took off. The whole bike ride I was marveling at the fact that I was wearing someone else's shoes. and then I passed him on the bike, although I wasn't looking at everyone's shoes, but had I known I could have ridden up next to him and said "How are those shoes working out for you?"
2008-02-16 7:06 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee, FL

Although I'm sure it was very stressful at the time, the story with the shoes is awesome.  The even cooler part of it is that it's one of those stories that you can tell and tell for years to come.  I've only done one tri so far, and my T2 was also a comedy of errors, but it's all a learning experience!

2008-02-16 7:20 PM

User image

Newport Beach
Scone_Mason

I was also at the race this morning and we actually chatted before the race and before you took off to the pool. I didn't recognize you until I saw your tattoo on the way to the swim. We were watching as you asked that coed for her goggles and laughed when she gave you a nice pink pair!

I agree the run course was crazy! Luckily, I had run/walked the course yesterday and knew that my only chance was to run flat out the first mile because once it went off road, I got real nervous about blowing out a knee again! I don't think I will doing any cross-country runs anytime soon.

The bike course was just crazy with all the 180 degree U-turns! Anytime you built up anytime of cadence, it was time to slow down and U-turn!

Congrats on an awesome swim, my girlfriends family and I watched up and you did a really great job! I can only imagine what you could have done on the bike with your own shoes!

Take Care and see you at another race soon
Cheers
Brad
2008-02-16 9:06 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Last year at UCLA someone took my bike shoes home with them. No extra pair of shoes around. Fortunately it was after the bike part of the race was done.

Never did get my bike shoes back. Had to buy a new pair.

2008-02-16 9:21 PM

Los Angeles, CA
Brad! I had a feeling that that was you, but I didn't say anything because I was so flustered I was trying to remember everything. You were so right about that run. I don't think anyone was expecting that wacky course. I was talking to the guy at the Bike Religion tent and he and I agreed that on a course like that the aero bars are useless. I went down on them twice and then said the hell with it because exactly as you said, as soon as you had speed, you had to slow down. This is a nutty sport, but I really love it.
2008-02-17 6:55 PM

Great job on the race! I wasn't expecting the course to be so cross-country either and I found myself worrying about rolling my ankles - it was a pretty uneven course with the rocks and crevices, etc. I agree with you - I thought the bike part was much harder than expected...sounds like you did great so congratulations!
2008-02-17 10:27 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego
Maybe there was a rash of clepto's at this event. Someone took 1 (just 1!) of my socks that I had placed on top of my bike shoes at T2. Weird...
2008-02-18 11:57 AM

Los Angeles, CA
One sock! WTF?

I know one thing, from now on I'm spraypainting everything I own with some kind of bright color in a way that no one can mistakenly run, bike, or swim off with something. that's just nutty.

it didn't help that the transition area was a bit small and there weren't enough bike racks. We were squeezed in on top of each other.
2008-02-18 4:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
Wow, talk about crazy transitions! Luckily for me, I wear a size 15 and no matter what my shoes look like, other racers will know that something isn't right!

Good race.

Did a lot of people think the run was hard too? My first duahlon last year in MN had the same thing...tough hills, ankle monsters, and mud!

2008-02-19 5:33 PM

Los Angeles, CA
Hundoracer, by the same token, there is no way you could cram my 10.5 onto your foot by mistake either.

I thought the run was very hard. I was being very careful on the last mile, watching where I stepped the whole way. At my first tri in December, my 5k time was 24:00, my 5k split for this race was 28:16, and I went by the girl shouting times at the 1-mile mark at 8:00, so as soon as we hit the hill and the rough terrain, I had shifted down a notch for sure. At the end of the run I was thinking "don't get hurt now" and just wanted to make it to the bike. I was last in my age group (46-49) with an overall of 1:27 but I also had a disastrous (and now well-described) run to bike transition. Even with that taken out I probably would have finished about 1:20 or so. I was happy that my performance felt good, I never had to stop, and thanks to Gina Greco, my swim coach, my swim was waaaaay better than before. I'm a true beginner, and when I decided to try tris, it was last October, I didn't own a bicycle yet, and was planning to debut at Pasadena on March 8. As it is, by the time Pasadena rolls around, I'll have completed two sprint tris already without having hurt myself, finished last overall, or had to walk, get off the bike, or touch bottom in the pool, so I'm happy with my progress so far. As for the benefits of just training for these things, I've lost 30 pounds, my cholesterol is down about 40 points, and my doc tells me I'm in better shape than 90% of his patients. That also makes my wife happy about it. Triathlon probably isn't for everyone, but it's working for me so far.

Edited by Scone_Mason 2008-02-19 5:44 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » UCI Zot Trot Triathlon Rss Feed