Run the Reagan
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 33s
Overall Rank = 339/448
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 5:30, made coffee. Tried to turn on my Garmin and realized the battery was dead. Got that charging and finally left for the race at 7:00. Had a bananna and a Clif bar. This race is only 10 minutes from home so I was early. Sat around, hit the portajohn then went to the start and hung out.
Event warmup:

Stretched for about 10 seconds. Figured I had 13.1 miles to warm up.
Run
  • 2h 09m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I planned to average just under 10 minute miles and was able to do that. Managed to hold it back at the start and maintain a good average pace. I walked at the water stops long enough to drink w/o bouncing. Had a gel at mile 4. Got a gell handed to me at mile 5 and tried it about mile7, bad mistake, it was a different brand than I normally use it tasted like s*** and nearly make me puke. After I rinsed my mouth at the next water station I had a second gel I had brought with me. Not sure if I needed it but it got the last taste of the bad one out of my mouth. The last 3-4 miles had the most hills but I managed to run those without too much slowing. For the last 3 miles I was not passed by anyone and managed to pass several people I had been seesawing with the entire race.
What would you do differently?:

Stop smoking and eating to excess about 20 years sooner.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got a water and a bannana

What limited your ability to perform faster:

For a first half marathon, I was happy with this time. I think I could improve if I lost some more weight. This race was a tool to keep me motivated to run during the winter months and it accomplished that. I am ready to give my knees and hips a break from the long runs for awhile and get back on the bike.

Event comments:

Since this race is so close to home it is on my list every year. I love driving a shorter distance to get there than the length of the race. The entire highway is closed down and a 5k, 10k and half are run. Lots of post race activity and kid attractions. Attendance seems to be growing every year.

Last updated: 2007-10-21 12:00 AM
Running
02:09:33 | 13.1 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 339/448
Performance: Good
on motionbased here: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invitation/dashboard.mb?episodePk.pkValue=4980217
Course: Rolling hills, tough hill at mile 10, last 3 miles generally uphill
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-02-17 4:38 PM

Veteran
Snellville
Subject: Run the Reagan - Half Marathon

2008-02-19 7:31 AM
in reply to: #1217151

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Subject: RE: Run the Reagan - Half Marathon
Great job on this race and meeting your time goal. Especially since the course seems to have a tough hill near the end! You had a great finishing time, especially for your first 1/2 mary! Congrats and enjoy getting back on your bike.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run the Reagan - Half Marathon Rss Feed