General Discussion Race Reports! » P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Phoenix, Arizona
United States
Elite Racing Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 47m 12s
Overall Rank = 5720/6499
Age Group = 31-35
Age Group Rank = 394/464
Pre-race routine:

Get up ridiculously early, ate a granola bar and some water. It was pretty cold that morning! But I was thankful for an early start.
Event warmup:

Mostly just walked around
Run
  • 5h 47m 12s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first marathon and it went pretty well! I'm excited that I can now say I've completed a marathon. It was an early, brisk arizona morning and my toes and fingers were cold. I had to slow myself down so that I wouldn't completely run out of energy at the end. So I started jogging along and found myself smiling for at least the first five miles! Phoenix is a nice city with a lot of friendly spectators - made a huge distance. My parents came out from Orange County, CA and cheered me on; saw them at mile 9-10 followed by a long time family friend, who was volunteering at the race. There were a couple ladies who I saw maybe three times and they were awesome everytime - they told me I was lookin' good (even though I know I wasn't!). Ran out of juice at around mile 23 but gathered enough energy to push through although I was walking a lot more than I would have liked. My husband walked back to mile 25 and ran me in at the end - what a guy! He had done the half and wanted to make sure I was alright. Saw my five other friends at the end line - that felt really good too.
What would you do differently?:

Not much - I just wish I hadn't needed to walk so much towards the end.
Post race
Warm down:

TIRED!!!! Ate some snacks, drank some water and asked for my medal and proceeded on to family reunion. My husband took care of me and then went to go find my folks. So I just sat in the grass, enjoyed the sunshine and feeling of accomplishment and ate a bag of cheetos. Too tired to stretch much but damn - what a great day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My perpetual lack of athleticism.

Event comments:

Elite racing does an amazing job organizing. The corrals make sense, the cheerleaders make a difference, the reunion area make it easy to find loved ones after the race, the food is plentiful and appropriate (I once ran a race where they had snickers and donuts at the end!). Really enjoyed this race but a marathon is no joke!

Last updated: 2008-02-17 12:00 AM
Running
05:47:12 | 26.2 miles | 13m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/464
Overall: 0/6499
Performance: Good
Course: Route ran through Tempe and Scottsdale
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-02-17 11:19 PM

Subject: P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon

2008-02-18 10:31 AM
in reply to: #1217600

User image

Expert
Michiana
Subject: RE: P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon
Congrats on finishing your first marathon.  Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon Rss Feed