Racing Underground
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 02m 57s
Overall Rank = 40/193
Age Group = 39 & under
Age Group Rank = 21/60
Pre-race routine:

I haven't done a race report for any of the Chilly Cheeks races this year, but for me, this one was such a break through on so many levels, I thought I should document it so I could re-read my thoughts later on.

First, I bought a pair of 404s back in October and hadn't ridden them yet and this race would be my first opportunity due to the weather at the first two races. Anyway, I ended up spending about 2 hours last night getting my derailler adjusted. Keep in mind that until now, I've been afraid of that mysterious thing. Well last night I finally buckled down and figured it out with a little help from SheldonBrown.com. By the time I was done, my bike was shifting better than it had in a long time. That's break through #1. My Zipps were on and my bike was ready to rock.

The morning of the race, I switched from my typical pancakes and eggs to a bowl of Wheaties and a banana. I love my pancakes and eggs, but I thought I'd test out a lighter breakfast and it seemed to do well.

At the race, I got my transition set up, figured out what to wear and did a little socializing w/ other BTers. I met Mtskibum for the first time and he seems like a pretty cool guy.
Event warmup:

Just before the race, I rode down towards the boat ramp, did a couple laps around the parking
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 29m 41s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.21 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed hard on the bike which is something I've never been really good at. Since this was the first time out for the race wheels, I didn't think to move my speed sensor from my normal wheels, so all I had to go on was my heart rate which ended up working pretty well. I battled w/ Eric Greene throughout this ride but he left me for dead on the run. About a mile and a half from the transition, Katie caught me on the bike and at first I was a little pissed at myself for allowing it, but the truth is she's a damn good cyclist.
What would you do differently?:

From a race strategy standpoint, I probably shouldn't have pushed so hard on the bike, but I feel like I gained a valuable mental edge from it. I now know that I need to give my bike training some attention. What would I do differently? Train more
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

ehhh - kind of a crappy transition. I just wasn't prepared for it.

Mentally rehearse my transition before I get to it. Usually, I'll walk through the TA and picture what I'll do during the race, but I didn't do that this time.
Run
  • 31m 5s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

As soon as I got off the bike I knew my run was going to be pretty tough. First, my legs were absolutely toast and we started off w/ a nice uphill. My legs weren't turning over and my HR spiked up over 180, so I decided to walk until I got everything under control. Of course while I was walking, Katie and some of the other familiar faces passed me again. This time I handled it much better and just focused on MY race for the moment. I re-started my shuffle/run just before the top of the hill. I suspected Katie would be running at roughly my usual pace and it was easy to see her since she was wearing a pink shirt, so I decided to keep her in sight as we turned onto the muddy trail. From there until the water station, I kept my pace consistent. My legs were still worked over from the bike and I didn't want to blow up in the middle of the race. After the aid station, we turned onto pavement and my legs felt much better, so I slowly started reeling in each person in front of me. I finally caught Katie just before we turned onto the concrete trail to the finish (Big thanks to her for pulling me along even if she didn't realize it) and pushed until the finish.

Train more. I did the best I could with the fitness I have, so no complaints about my performance here.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and chatted w/ everyone.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My training. Unfortunately this is always the case. I'm just not consistent enough.

Event comments:

The Chilly Cheeks is a no frills kind of race, but it's got great character. No matter what, you know you'll be going to a race and the atmosphere feels like you're racing a bunch of friends. Maybe that's because there's so many BTers that show up :)

Last updated: 2008-02-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/60
Overall: 0/193
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:29:41 | 10 miles | 20.21 mile/hr
Overall: 23/193
Performance: Good
Avg HR - 174
Wind: None
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:05 | 04 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Overall: 62/193
Performance: Good
Avg HR = 175
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-02-18 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #3

2008-02-18 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1218161

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #3
Great job "Duding" that chick, Katie... LOL

But what the hell, she's only riding a Colnago... a road bike... eek!

You have a super fast Felt with those fancy Zipp wheels... so yeah good work!

No, seriously, you had a strong race and its a great fitness marker early in the season... you will no doubt be duding many chicks this year!
2008-02-18 11:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Nice race! It was good meeting you too! I thought I saw you on your bike as I was finishing my run. I started in Wave O, and I was a bit slow, so you were done quite a bit before me. Glad you had a great race. It's a great way to start off the year. Congrats!
2008-02-18 2:59 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Nice race Ben!!  See you next weekend, Rachel, too!
2008-02-18 4:07 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Great report.  You gotta log that stuff so you can reference it during the season.  Congrats on the break through.  We'll be seeing ya around.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #3 Rss Feed