United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 44m
Overall Rank = 8/15
Age Group = 41-45
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Really didn't do too much. Watched the 50milers off at 7am, then helped setup the food station at the 3.5mile mark before they got there, and finally watched them all through the first food station. Walked back to the camp site and cooked a little coffee and oatmeal breakfast for me and the family.
Event warmup:

Didn't have one. Plan was to start at the front and run the first 10minutes at a 9min pace, forcing the faster folks to pass me, but avoiding any jam up's in the single-track after the first half mile.
Run
  • 5h 44m
  • 31.07 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, to start off with 1)too fast, 2)wrong intervals, 3)cramping, 4)water, 5)marathon bonk, 6)pain/energy management

1) i went out way to fast. 4 guys jumped immediately to the front and i pulled in the fifth spot. We ran the first 3.7 in about 30mins, so i didn't warm-up according to plan. I wasn't ready for such a quick pace, especially in windy single-track. I let them go after the first food stop. HR is kind of whacky at this point and it takes me another 15 minutes to settle down.

2) I decided before the race to try a 12min run 1min walk interval. Shouldn't have done this, should've stuck to a 5 or 6 to 1 ratio. This was okay for 1 lap, by the 2nd lap i lowered it down to 8/1, and halfway through the second lap i got paranoid and decided i was behind the rest curve and lowered it to a 5/1 ratio. This felt better for me. 3rd lap i went to a 3/1 ratio. At the end of the second lap my left groin muscle was starting to spas making it very hard to stride properly.

3)Cramping and 4)Water - I didn't realize that i wasn't drinking enough fluid. I didn't feel like i was sweating very much. I should have known better and kept my hip pack on me. I was just drinking at the food stations, so approx. every 4miles. The first two laps were overcast and cool, but by the 3rd, the sun was out and it was a warm 75f and HUMID. Not good since i hadn't been drinking enough. I was just slow to realize this. Left groin muscle is the one that starting bothering me. I would try to get into a stride rythym and then it would spas after 2or 3 minutes. I would almost fall down trying to stop the leg motion to stop the cramp. I would stretch a little and then resume running.

5)Marathon bonk - For me, this race was too soon after the Austin AT&T Marathon, which was just 2wks ago. After the 2nd lap, I just didn't feel any strength. I didn't have any aerobic issues, just no legs. My legs HURT during laps 3 and 4(that growing pain feeling), so i took advil.

6) Laps 3 and 4, but mainly 3, ended up being pain/energy management. I actually ran lap 4 faster than 3. A young lady finishing her 25k noticed i was cramping and gave me 4 ecaps, and i had taken some advils at the end of lap 3(i think). Don't know what worked or didn't work. Also, I was carrying a water bottle on lap 4, also 4 gels on 4 AND it was the final lap and I knew i just had to be consistently in motion.
What would you do differently?:

1) follow my race plan. Don't start off too fast in wu, and keep intervals sane.
2) carry a water bottle, drink more water.
3) not run an ultra so soon after a mary.
Post race
Warm down:

Just laid down and played with my daughter while my Jess(wife) went to get my clean clothes and shower gear.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall, I would say this race was just too soon after the Austin ATT mary. I didn't have enough of a recovery.

Event comments:

This is one of my favorite courses. Mix of single-track, open trail, with a few ups/downs making for distinctive regions.

Last updated: 2008-01-25 12:00 AM
Running
05:44:00 | 31.07 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 8/15
Performance: Below average
L1- 1:12, L2- 1:18, L3- 1:39, L4- 1:34
Course: Laps were supposed to be 7.75mile loops for the 50k. My Polar footpod only lasted 9 miles, so no distance data after that, and no way to confirm distance.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %-7%
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes