Solvang, California
United States
SCOR Cardiac Cyclists Club
Total Time = 6h 21m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Dinner at the Hadsten House Inn with some fellow Tri Club San Diego members and off to Lompoc and our luxurious Motel 6 room.

Woke up at 4AM and had a peanut butter bagel and Gatorade, showered and loaded up our bikes and off to Solvang.
Event warmup:

It was warm at 5AM in Lompoc so I thought I wouldn't be wearing any cold weather gear, but at Buellton/Solvang it was very foggy. I noticed that all the riders were in arm/leg warmers and most wore jackets. I decided to wear my jacket and also my full finger gloves over my cycling gloves.

Bike
  • 6h 21m
  • 101 miles
  • 15.91 mile/hr
Comments:

We started at about 7:05 and I was happy with my clothing decisions. I started with sungalsses on but the fog kept collecting on them and with the early morning light made seeing road hazards very difficult. So I had to stow them until the fog lifted.

I thought the aid stations were awesome. The lines to the food, water and porta potties were really quick. I heard a few people gripe about the SPIZ and lack of Gatorade-type drink, but shame on them for not researching the SCOR website nor getting advice from internet discusssion.

My two friends and I rode a nice and easy pace. I resisted the temptations to jump onto a pace line and I kept telling myself I was saving it for Foxen Canyon Rd.

At the start of Foxen Canyon Rd I wanted to kick it up a notch or two and I joined up with a really strong guy who physically looked like Thor Hushhovd and another smaller rider like myself. We hammered with Thor doing most of the pulling. We were doing about 25 MPH in the flats and I tried to help pull in the inclines. I don't know what happened to Thor, but I ended up by myself about two miles before the "wall" towards the end of Foxen Cyn. Rd. I/we averaged 19 MPH on Foxen Canyon Rd. but I should have taken it easier when I was alone because that !@#$ hill hit me hard. I swear I was barely going faster than a guy walking it. I saw quite a few people stop to work out cramps. But I kept grinding (not spinning!) 34x23 and made it to the top and let out a big "wooooo". I made it to the mile 92 rest stop.

The rest of the ride was a lot of fun. I hit 50.7 MPH on the descent from Balard Canyon Rd! and the rest of the climbs and the twisty rollers were a blast, knowing I was so close to finishing. I actually got surprised that the end came so quickly, the route slip said the finish was at 104 miles but when my GPS said 99 miles, I suddenly realized I was in Solvang and the ride was about to end. But overall I had a great experience.

What would you do differently?:

For my first century nothing. I could of jumped onto an easy pace line (17-18 MPH) but then I may have really suffered later and I would feel guilty about leaving my firends behind.
Post race
Event comments:

This was my first century and had a great time. I trained on inland San Diego hills so I was well prepared for this ride. The only hill that really kicked my butt was the short, steep one towards the end of Foxen Canyon Rd.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-03-11 12:00 AM
Biking
06:21:00 | 101 miles | 15.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Very scenic and can be very windy if you start too late. Hills are very typical for Southern California coastal. The roads can be very bumpy at some stretches. Not alot of automobile traffic so I felt safe for the most part. Even riding on the HWY 1 was fun b/c the shoulder was very wide there. On some of the back roads it was kinda sketchy with narrower shoulders and if I needed to pass slower riders, I had to ride left of the white line.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-11 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego
Subject: Solvang Century & Half Century

2008-03-11 9:10 PM
in reply to: #1265219

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Solvang Century & Half Century
Congrats on finishing your first century. This was mine too. Not sure what the hill was that killed you but I had to actually walk up half of one of them, it was so steep. It was the one before the last rest stop.
2008-03-12 12:20 AM
in reply to: #1266392

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego
Subject: RE: Solvang Century & Half Century
auto208562 - 2008-03-11 6:10 PM

Not sure what the hill was that killed you but I had to actually walk up half of one of them, it was so steep. It was the one before the last rest stop.

Yup, that's the one- Foxen Canyon Rd. is about 15 miles of 1-2% upgrade and then WHAMMO!

I felt like I was barely riding faster than those walking up it. The funny thing is I felt really strong on all the other hills except that one.

Great job on your first century!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Solvang Century & Half Century Rss Feed