50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 9h 00m
Overall Rank = 84/1300
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 32/196
Pre-race routine:

Event warmup:

Everything worked out nicely this morning, despite a slightly restless night of sleep. Weather was much better than anticipated. All week, I was preparing for mid 30's, low 40's and rain. Instead, I'm treated to 50F and an almost imperceptible drizzle. PERFECT! I saw some people bundled up, and I figured that would be a mistake, so after I picked up my t-shirt and took it back to the car, I went with a t-shirt, team singlet, and running shorts. that was just right. Got in a good warmup and few pickups. Sucked down a gel and a couple swigs of water about 10 minutes before the gun went off. No tummy trouble at all.
Run
  • 31m 44s
  • 5 miles
  • 06m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Having a race plan a least a week ahead of time works out great for me. I was prepared to execute it and accept the results.
Mile 1 - 6:36. I thought it would be a little slower than that because I didn't "eat the paste." I let plenty of people pass me who I knew had no business going that fast. I was comfortable and in control that first mile. That was huge, because it set me up to let the rest of the race be a success, too.
Mile 2 - 6:34. Right on. I knew that the incline in mile 2 would make it a little tougher. I dialed up the effort just right. I still let a few people pass me, knowing that it wouldn't be permanent.
Mile 3 - 6:20. Took advantage of staying behind some larger guys. I'd get up on their hip, then just bury them and bridge up to the next guys. Slowly but surely I was reeling in the field. I was feeling good at this point, getting psyched to really turn loose at the end.
Mile 4 - 6:16. It started to get tougher to maintain and push the pace at this point, but I still consistently passed people. I could feel that I was on the edge of maximum effort. A couple guys passed me, but I passed them back. We went back and forth like this several times.
Mile 5 - 6:00. I knew this mile was mine. I was gaining on people I never imagined I'd catch. I passed a guy who was dry heaving and struggled to get by him without doing the same. He couldn't keep it together. One of the guys I had been battling with went with me, then opened up a 10yd gap. At this point, I caught a huge gulp of nauseating parade food and had to choke back breakfast. I knew I'd hate it if I let that guy get a away, so I dug as deep as I've ever been able to, and turned on the final kick, passing two more in the final stretch. The competition was fun, but the outcome was even more rewarding.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

I drank one of those shitty 180 Energy drinks and regretted it. Then I jogged back to the car and headed home to make a nice breakfast. A great day!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

Always a fun race. I love the huge turnout. Everybody is in a good mood for this one.

Last updated: 2008-02-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:44 | 05 miles | 06m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/196
Overall: 0/1300
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, fast loop downtown.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5