General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thinking about doing my first TRI - thoughts/help? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-17 9:10 PM

Subject: Thinking about doing my first TRI - thoughts/help?

BACKGROUND: I am 30 years old and just started running last year. I completed a 5K, 10 mile, and a team adventure race. I have been running solid for about one year. I am signed up for a 1/2 Marathon in May and am looking at doing a sprint tri in June/July. I dropped about 35 pounds over the past year just by running and am hoping to drop about 15-20 more and then get in good shape.

QUESTIONS: So, I have the running part working for me. I am a basic weekend biker with no real experiance. Any suggestion on a good starting Tri Bike? Yes, I know I can use my old mountain bike that works - but I am looking for something more specific (but for a begineer).
Also, I am not a strong swimmer. I had a pool growing up and didn't do anything competitive - any suggestions? Join a class, specific program, etc?

I have been looking over the BT programs and probably should do the "bike focused" or the "swin focused" - but I am looking for a little direction before I head down the wrong path.

I apprecaite any feedback or suggestions and look forward to the journey!

2008-03-18 2:27 AM
in reply to: #1277454

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Thinking about doing my first TRI - thoughts/help?
You ca get a good starter bicycle for under $1000 it just depends how many bells and whistles you want on it. I would recommend going with a regular road bike as your first non-mountain bike because they can be a little easier to get used to and if you want to upgrade later you can always buy aerobars later. Your local bike shop should be able to get you pointed in the right direction if you tell them you are looking for an entry level road bike.

My first road bike was a Specialized Allez Elite Triple. I bought it for $1200 and I used it for the first two year of my tri career. I added aerobars to it and was very satisfied with the performance I got out of it.

As far as a training program I think you are on the right track with the 16 week sprint - bike or swim focused plan. That will bring you right up to your planned race if you start now.

Good luck with your bike search and your training and welcome to the BT family.

2008-03-18 5:53 AM
in reply to: #1277616

User image

Expert
FL

Sounds like you are well on your way.  Welcome to the cult. 

Yes, any bike will do for a sprint tri but you can look for any road bike and it will do just fine.  For most people, a tri bike is a upgrade down the road after getting into the sport fairly seriously. 

2008-03-18 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
One thing that you can do is keep an eye on sites like Craigslist. I found a used Cervelo P2 for $700, made sure it fit.

As for swimming, coaching really helps. Laps are good, but swimming, especially for newbies like myself, really help make you get technically better, which means that you are more efficient.
2008-03-18 9:05 AM

User image

Hi Muzzo, I'm new to tri training too (going on 3 months now) but I'll tell you what I've done so far based mostly on advice from this board:

* I started running more, alternating between shorter (3-5m) fast runs and longer (6-10m) slow runs.  You probably have this covered already with your background.

* I bought a road bike (felt F75) and a trainer to use indoor on bad weather days.  The trainer has been invaluable for many occasions that I couldn't get outside.  I even ride it on Saturday mornings at home while watching cartoons on TV with the kids.

* I'm a weak swimmer so I signed up for swim lessons.  Private lessons at my Y go for $35 a pop and they've been very useful.  Technique is very important in swimming, doubly so for a triathlete since you want your swim to be as efficient as possible so you preserve energy for the bike and run.

I'm completely winging training plans but I have set some intermediate and end goals that I make progress towards, culminating with my A race in September.  Prior to that I have another sprint tri, a 5K, a 4-miler and a half-mary.  This is my first year of racing of any kind.

So far training has been a blast.  One you start cross-training and getting double workouts in, the weight melts away.  There are always the doubtful moments that you need to push through... but know in your heart that you can do it and the end rewards are tremendous, but then again so is the journey.

2008-03-18 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1277885

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lapel
little_blaine - 2008-03-18 10:05 AM

..know in your heart that you can do it and the end rewards are tremendous, but then again so is the journey.

3 month old newbie or not - you nailed it!

2008-03-18 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Muzzo- Your story is soooo similar to mine in just every regard!
I signed up for my first sprint for 4/20. I'm running a half-marathon on 5/3. Thanks to this board, they convinced me that I could do both!!
I have been doing strength training (BodyPump) and spinning (RPM) at the gym for many months now. I can't tell you how much that alone helped my running! Then, 2 weeks ago, I added swimming 2 days/wk to my plan. I swam in a summer swim club years and years ago. I know my form probably isn't the best, but it isn't bad either. For my first tri, my goal is simply to complete it without dying. Once I run the half, I'm going to focus on a training plan from this website.
My hubbie and I are going to do our first tri on our Trek hybrids (we had road tires put on them recently). We'd love to buy road bikes- but geez... we've already spend some $$$ haven't even done a tri yet! If you have the $$ to spend on a bike- go for it! I would if I had it! Otherwise, maybe putting some road tires on your mountain bike would be a good compromise for your first tri.
As for the weight- the body will change. Mine certainly has. I made lifetime in Weight Watchers on 1/16/08 after taking a year to lose 35 pounds. I'd like to get about 10 more pounds off. I eat right (most of the time). It will happen and I feel so excited about this journey!!
My plan for now is:
Monday: swim
Tues: strength and bike
Wed: run
Thurs: strength and run (or off)
Fri: run and swim
Sat: strength and bike
Sun: long run
Good luck to you in your journey!!
2008-03-18 7:51 PM

User image

Virginia Beach

I'd suggest Joe Friel's book "Your First Triathlon".
2008-03-18 9:17 PM

Thanks all.
This is great advice and I am will work on cross training hard.

2008-03-18 9:27 PM
in reply to: #1279524

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
For swimming info check out Total Immersion. There is a book and a dvd and the content is invaluable. If you can, a few coached swim sessions to get you started wouldn't hurt.

Good luck and welcome to a magnificent obsession!
2008-03-18 9:41 PM

User image

Greensboro, NC
With the training you have been doing the last year you should be fine to do a sprint triathlon. The sprint Tri's are SO much fun. There not too long that you need a great deal of training to get through one. You can take your time doing the triathlon and just go at your own speed.
As for swim and bike training. Do you have a local master swim team that you can attend? I learned to swim better with a masters class. It was a great help, if not. Go to a local pool and just start out by swimming 15 minutes and gradually add in more time to your swim workouts.
I started with a cheap Trek Road bike for my first year of triathlon to see if I was going to like it before I bought a more expensive one. You can also go on Ebay and look for bikes or go to a local bike store and see what used bikes they have for sale. Just make sure you know what size bike to buy. Any local bike store can help you out with measures.
For a sprint tri don't stress to much just get out there and start training little by little and than go try a short sprint. You'll have a blast!!

Good Luck! it's an addicting sport............

2008-03-19 9:47 PM

User image

Regular
Utah
Your biggest struggle is likely going to be the swim. Is it an open water swim? If it is you'll want to take a dip in open water before race day. Swimming is 75% technique. I see guys all the time who swim pretty well despite their technique, but they're selling themselves short. Start out with modest expectations and add a little everytime you go. A lot of people do better in the beginning if they mix different swim strokes.

Joe Friel's book is a little advanced for first year triathletes. It's basically the main reference and if you stick with triathlons you'll be buying it anyway. Check out your library, they probably have several good books. The Total Immersion book is very good. Lessons are a very good idea too. I'll have excellent swimmers watch me and give me advice and that's helped a lot.

Sprint triathlons are all about fun. Some people are extremely fast Sprint racers, but a lot of the people you'll see will be in the same boat as you. One of the most awesome things about triathlon is that it's a sport that nearly anyone can enjoy and compete in. Even us beginners will be rubbing shoulders with elites or possibly pro's. What other sport can say that? Don't throw out the idea of putting road tires on your current bike for your first triathlon and riding it. Triathletes are seldom rich and we've all been slowly adding to our endless equipment lists. So, don't be worried about showing up in whatever you want to wear and riding whatever you want to ride. A good bike fit and saddle height are at least as important as which brand/model you choose.

As far as being ready make sure you can cover the distance in the water first. You can ride slowly and walk the rest of the race if you need to. Train your weakness and race your strengths. Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thinking about doing my first TRI - thoughts/help? Rss Feed